Formula 1 Gran Premio De La Ciudad De México 2021Formula 1 

• Thread starter Jimlaad43
  • 208 comments
All the late season races being filled with power unit penalties and it potentially affected the title is so frustrating. I know rules are rules but if 9/10th of the grid are facing these penalties at some point then clearly the limits are too low.

Autosport Magazine
McLaren team principal Andreas Seidl agrees that the current system remains a logical way of reining in development and performance.

"I obviously get the point that it is not ideal having all these penalties," he said.

"But to be honest, I do not really see a straightforward solution to that. Because for example if you will decide let's go to four engines engine instead of three we will end up all with five engines, because we would just crank up the engines."

I second this....Wasn't the allocation at 5 at some point? They should have kept it at that. Also, the seasons are getting longer with more races, do they really expect 3 allocations to be enough for the whole season considering the complexity of those engines, their performance and the amount of miles they do?

Autosport Magazine
In the latter years of the V8 era, the requirement was eight engines per season, with use of a ninth generating a grid penalty. In 2013, the last season of the V8 formula, nobody took a ninth engine.

When the hybrid rules arrived in 2014, the restrictions became far more complex, with the power unit divided into the six elements that remain in place today, and an initial limit of five parts of each per season.

A longer 21-race season in 2016 bumped the limit back up to five elements, and thus there were fewer penalties. The requirement was dropped to four again in 2017, and once more there was a long list of offences. An even tighter squeeze came in 2018, when the limit was reduced to three for the V6, turbo and MGU-H, and just two for the MGU-K, energy store and control electronics.

There's a great opinion article on this at https://www.autosport.com/f1/news/w...i-embarrassment-engine-penalty-rules/6733910/

This is the onboard of Yuki & his engineer. He pulls off as he's told Checo is on a push.

Perez claiming the car got unsettled because of the dust seems like baloney. The dust kicks up to the far left and by the time Checo approaches it, he's already unsettled.

Tweets on it.

Last edited:
Which is typical Horner bull.

For one, they were already behind after the first run without that. So clearly Merc had the raw pace.

Secondly, VER was +0.066 after S1 and +0.270 after S2. There is no way that VER lost nearly half a second because of TSU.
I think that was in reference to their own previous laps, which would make sense as that would be a hell of a gain if it wasn't.

I can't take this anymore. Just when you think Verstappen is in control of the championship, Mercedes lock out the front row. IN MEXICO. UUUUUUUUUUUUUUUGH

This is the onboard of Yuki & his engineer. He pulls off as he's told Checo is on a push.

Perez claiming the car got unsettled because of the dust seems like baloney. The dust kicks up to the far left and by the time Checo approaches it, he's already unsettled.

Tweets on it.

Ah, with that I take back my previous comment. Looks like Tsunoda basically did what he was told, and both Checo and Max reacted poorly.

In any case, what a 🤬head thing for Horner to say about one of his drivers. I know that's basically par-for-the-course for Horner, but it's an awful way to destroy his driver's confidence, especially when Tusnoda was actively tryin to make way for the sister team.

Ah, with that I take back my previous comment. Looks like Tsunoda basically did what he was told, and both Checo and Max reacted poorly.

In any case, what a 🤬head thing for Horner to say about one of his drivers. I know that's basically par-for-the-course for Horner, but it's an awful way to destroy his driver's confidence, especially when Tusnoda was actively tryin to make way for the sister team.
What made me sad is to read comments calling for Perez to be removed or that it was a mistake to resign him b/c he didn't finish higher (regardless of whether one finds Yuki to blame or not). If in the last 4 seasons, the second driver has gone from Danny, to Gasly, to Albon, to Perez, one has to start wondering if the issue is less on the 2nd driver, and more on the car. I have read from a former F1 driver (wish I could remember), that the RBR car is more prone to oversteer compared to the other cars that tend to understeer. And he expanded that, that kind of setup works for Max, but will likely throw other drivers off. It didn't do any favors that Red Bull has likely continued to build each new chassis to further compliment Max (which makes sense as #1), but can add difficulty to a second driver, esp. if the second drivers are going to be youngsters out of the Academy or sister team that run what could be seen as a more "traditional" setup. He wasn't placing any negativity on Max, more so on Red Bull b/c they don't do their second drivers much favor if the idea is to basically have the other driver learn how to drive like Max to extract the most out of the car b/c of how tailored they are to Max.

Last edited:
I can't take this anymore. Just when you think Verstappen is in control of the championship, Mercedes lock out the front row. IN MEXICO. UUUUUUUUUUUUUUUGH
With the tow and starting on the clean side of the grid, everything's still to play for. Merc just got their car in a sweet spot in quali. If the track conditions revert back to before RB will walk away in the race. Then next race at Interlagos is also another RB favouring track (though not quite to the same extent as Mexico). Qatar and Jeddah probably Merc because of all the medium-high speed corners. Abu Dhabi is a toss up. Last year RB walked but with the corner changes this year the track is less tight than before.

They way I see it, RB still has the slight advantage. Lewis really has to dig deep if he wants to win this year but I feel it won't be enough still. That lockup in Baku is the China 2007 moment.

The cars are so close that's too difficult to predict what will happen, the tiny pace differences can come from set up alone. Turn 1 should be fun.

Red Bull having a normal one this weekend.

Spanish media is reporting that Perez - via Perez himself - was given Verstappen's damaged rear wing for qualifying. And Mercedes has tweeted a message of support to Yuki Tsunoda after Horner and Marko threw him under the bus:

Last edited:
It’s the most logical solution given the circumstances, but maybe if he didn’t crash 10 mins into FP1 then he wouldn’t have this problem.

Sky are absolutely gagging for Max and Lewis to hit each other at Turn 1. Literally all they've been doing is talking about how this first corner is perfect for them to have a massive shunt on lap 1. Can we actually look forward to a race between them rather than a crash? And haven't they had plenty of wheel-to-wheel battles this year without hitting each other too? This is pretty pathetic and rather than celebrating great racing if they make it through T1 without contact, I'm sure there will be a comment somewhere by one of the commentators or pundits bemoaning that there wasn't controversy there.

Let's just have a great race because that's what we're here to watch.

Back