Formula 1 Gulf Air Bahrain Grand Prix 2020Formula 1 

• Thread starter Jimlaad43
  • 373 comments
I know he did a great job in helping to put the fire out, but that marshal still ran across the track carrying a fire extinguisher. That hasn't went well in the past.
The last guy before him who did that sadly never got to tell of his experience. FIA MIGHT want to consider doing something NASCAR/IndyCar have done and use a dedicated track worker team.

Last edited:
I know he did a great job in helping to put the fire out, but that marshal still ran across the track carrying a fire extinguisher. That hasn't went well in the past.
The guy who went to Grosjean's car did it knowing the entire pack had gone past and the Medical Car had stopped. Although it was against FIA protocols, he wasn't in danger to cross the track.

The guy who went to Perez's was reckless and in the wrong and was lucky not to be collected by Norris.

An E-class AMG wagon, trailing the safety car, with 3 dedicated fire marshals on board (plus driver) and a trunk full of handheld extinguishers should be sufficient.

If there's one thing that links all the most recent 'bad' accidents in F1 is that they've all been, on the whole, due to unforeseeable circumstances. With this in mind you want your safety crew set-up to be as flexible as possible. Miniature fire engines of various guises aren't going to cut the mustard if a car has flipped a barrier and is on fire some way behind the circuits track area or obscured behind some structure. Track marshals are generally amateur and trained to grab the nearest extinguisher and set about controlling the fire when something like this happens. You don't want someone like that getting in the line of sight of a high-powered hose fired from a fixed position.

The guy who went to Grosjean's car did it knowing the entire pack had gone past and the Medical Car had stopped. Although it was against FIA protocols, he wasn't in danger to cross the track.

The guy who went to Perez's was reckless and in the wrong and was lucky not to be collected by Norris.
Also, weren't red flags out pretty much seconds after the accident happened?

Also, weren't red flags out pretty much seconds after the accident happened?
When Red Flags are out, cars are still circulating and there's no guarantee all the cars have seen it and are paying attention. If you're going to cross the track, make sure you are 100% sure that there is enough gap to get across without putting yourself in danger. All cars had passed T3, and the visibility of the preceding corners meant there was plenty of time to see if there was anyone else coming from the pitlane or a slow start or anything.

At a GrandAm race at Barber years ago, there was a tire carcass on the track after turn 5, just a few yards in front of my station. We'd just had a yellow and the field had only been running a couple of laps, so race control basically said, "You will have 40 seconds to go get that and throw it over the barrier and get over yourself, is that enough time?" I told them it would be, so I was on a live track, with race control monitoring the leaders, and we cleared it without having to go yellow again so soon after we'd been yellow. I grabbed not only the tire carcass, but a couple of rather significant pieces of metal.

My point is, it was all planned and communicated. Had I taken too much time, they would have thrown a yellow before the cars got to me, but it wasn't needed. The marshal running across the track may have well been sent by race control, and not going on his own resolve.

Saw this on FB just now, though I'd share...

50670857906_79dd567fba_z.jpg

During his interview with Brundle, Romain said he didn't see anyone initially in his mirror, and because of the speed he was carrying he went for the gap.

That piece of debris bouncing around was not a factor.

Back