Formula 1 Heineken Gran Premio D’italia 2021Formula 1 

• Thread starter Jimlaad43
  • 562 comments
Max showed so much concern for his rival after the crash because as Red Bull said at Silverstone, you're supposed to be sad when your rival has a "life threatening" crash.

As written earlier: incident already starting when Lewis came out of the pit

Blue flag for the driver coming out of the pit because others cars are approaching very fast (not a sign to let them pass!). But be very cautious. Lewis immediately squeezed in and left no room before the turn itself. Probably that will also be point of discussion in the stewards room

1631459726425.png

I'm more leaning towards racing incident now after seeing the millions of replays.

I still think Max should have backed off though, he was too hot-headed after that slow stop.

it's a completely different corner on a completely different track, relax on the twitter mindset treat each one individually, because they are.
Different track, different corner, but same principle.

Easy enough to replace the Silverstone crash with turn 4, lap 1 today, where the roles were reversed. MV gave much less room than Lewis did (ie; zero), and Lewis bailed to avoid the collision. Same happened at Imola too.

Max only ever sees things one way... he just thinks everyone should get out of his way. He's a ****.

it's a completely different corner on a completely different track, relax on the twitter mindset treat each one individually, because they are.
Well, this same race, on the first lap, Max squeezed Lewis out in almost exactly the same way. And almost exactly like he did at Imola. Fair play by my book, but when someone does it back you can't really complain.

Racing incident to me.

Different track, different corner, but same principle.

Easy enough to replace the Silverstone crash with turn 4, lap 1 today, where the roles were reversed. MV gave much less room than Lewis did (ie; zero), and Lewis bailed to avoid the collision. Same happened at Imola too.

Max only ever sees things one way... he just thinks everyone should get out of his way. He's a ****.
Max gave alot more room then Lewis did here if you really want to compare, just Hamilton didn't use the provided space, it's not even an argument, but that's a much different corner and that would of certainly had aero effect unlike this, this was a pincer and due to the nature of where the driver sits neither would of had much Vision, unlike at Silverstone where Hamilton would of, but his late decision to go for the inside made him go deeper.

There is always going to be red mist straight after incidents like this it happens all the time in racing regardless of driver but it's just two drivers going all out and this will happen, it's just an incredibly aggressive championship battle.

Well, this same race, on the first lap, Max squeezed Lewis out in almost exactly the same way. And almost exactly like he did at Imola. Fair play by my book, but when someone does it back you can't really complain.

Racing incident to me.
Imola for sure was more of Max's fault, the first lap here Max had more overlap so it's harder to treat it the same although it's similar.

Last edited:
It was a racing incident, Max still had the car on the track and due to the nature of the track couldn't bail out of it due to the Sausage when Lewis went tighter, don't think it's anyones fault.

Just the stuff that happens when you put crappy sausage kerb on a tight corner like that.
100% this.

Also, for those saying Max showed no concern, Lewis was trying to back his car out, he's not gonna go up to a car that's being revved, he coukd see he was OK.

It's a racing incident - the room was there until the second apex. This is much different from Lap 1 because Max snuffed out the opportunity of a pass before Lewis got to the second part of the chicane.

As for the incident - Max was banking on Lewis leaving one foot more room, Lewis was banking on Max bailing out. It didn't happen, and that's racing

Last edited:
Plus, if Max backs off, he gets a run through Curva Grande and most likely passes Lewis at turn 4, who's on colder tires. In the end it's RedBull's pitcrew fault, he was 4.5 seconds ahead of Lewis before the pitstop.

Last edited:
Plus, if Max backs off, he gets a run through Curva Grande and most likely passes Lewis at turn 4, who's on colder tires. In the end it's RedBull's pitcrew fault, he was 4.5 seconds ahead of Lewis before the pitstop.
Why stop here? The two pit crews plotted for this to happen.

100% this.

Also, for those saying Max showed no concern, Lewis was trying to back his car out, he's not gonna go up to a car that's being revved, he coukd see he was OK.
I keep seeing this rhetoric, yet it didn't stop anyone (not here, that I know of) from claiming Lewis didn't care about Max despite immediately asking if he was OK after their collision at Silverstone. Or when he went to the hospital for a precautionary check that sent people into an even bigger tizzy because he (Lewis) didn't know.

Before anything else, what a great day for Danny, Lando and the entire McLaren team. I do think it was their race to lose even without the big incident of the day. Not surprised with Bottas and his pace since he did get an engine change. Wonder if Stroll will get a post-race penalty. Russell's luck has taken a turn to where getting points isn't a huge surprise anymore.

Now, I will say that the Lewis/Max collision reminded me of a somewhat similar incident involving Lewis years ago.

There's a reason why drivers cut chicanes if they end up off track rather than try and continue to follow the racing line; the rejoin. In GT Sport of all things, because the game resets your car if you try to cut the corner after going off, drivers will do what Max did today and end up wiping out whoever is besides them. You'll get the next apex sooner and have a much more acute angle to turn. Never ends well. Won't get into who is to blame but I'm surprised Hamilton did what he did because he should've known that Max wasn't going to give in the slightest. Abundantly clear at this point and not surprised if this isn't the last time we're talking about yet another incident between the two.

Must point this out and - and it's incredible saying this - but thank goodness for the halo. I'm not sure if I heard right but I think Lewis said the tire put pressure on his neck. I'm glad we're having this conversation rather than something much more dire.

Last edited:
I'm assuming by backing off you mean before the entry to the chicane, otherwise Lewis gets the smoother line out once Max hits the anchors or cuts the corner and then it's a done deal.

Regarding that alternative scenario, at that point it's just going back to ifs and buts again, they may well have collided at T4 anyway considering their previous (albeit the odds of both retiring on the spot being diminished somewhat).

Back