Formula 1 Heineken Gran Premio D’italia 2021Formula 1 

• Thread starter Jimlaad43
  • 562 comments
In old money, Bottas is 31 points behind. Too great a gap for him to overcome even with a few more Verstappen/Hamilton collisions. The deficit relies on him winning races consecutively as well as Verstappen/Hamilton colliding, which I don't see happening.

Would be a great shame if Piastri doesnt get a drive. Already much better on paper than dead weights Tsunoda and Mazepin who lack the temperament for F1
Piastri might get a drive in 2023 if one of the following happens (in most likely order):
1. Haas is bought out by someone other than Mr. Mazepin and Nikita is sent packing immediately.
2a. Alonso retires from Alpine.
2b. Tsunoda has a 2nd poor season and is quickly shuffled out of the AT Ride.
3. Vettel retires from Aston Marton AND Hamilton retires from Mercedes. (I think both have to happen else Nyck will get first chance).

While Tsunoda and Mazepin have both massively underperformed, I still think Tsunoda deserves maybe 1 more year (Mazepin deserves no more years and should be replaced with literally anyone else who has sponsorship).

If Tsunoda goes, RB have Albon, Lawson, Vips and Daruvala all lined up in the queue ahead of Piastri. He needs to obliterate everyone in these last few rounds to make him impossible not to pick in 2022

I would imagine Tsunoda's tenure will last as long as RBR retains advisors from Honda to assist with their engine program. Or at least, I'm presuming they're going to keep at least a couple Honda personnel on the payroll through next season to help them get things off the ground.

a3EmydQ_460s.jpg

That bump on his head seems to have been harder than expected.

An interesting question for both this crash and for Silverstone. Would the crash have still happened if both drivers were Max Verstappen? Would the crash have still happened if both drivers were Lewis Hamilton? I've thought about it for a while and come up with yes and maybe respectively.

I'm still baffled why Verstappen didn't take the exit run-off like he did earlier in the race. It just seemed like he had huge, obvious understeer and hitting the orange sausage with his left wheels was only ever going to be the best-case scenario - which was always going to bounce him towards the gravel whether there was a car next to him or not.

It just smacks of angry driving and a "Lewis is NOT getting this position" mindset (and Hamilton's tyre grade advantage would have meant that even if he'd got the spot it probably wouldn't have lasted the lap).

Incidentally, F1 has released 360 degree onboards from both cars...

The penalty is, I think, harsh, though he is obviously predominantly at fault - but it looks quite like the stewards are punishing him based on form. He's gone from routine wheel-banging and running cars off the road, to a 170mph crash (which was about 50:50, but easily avoidable for him), to driving over someone's skull in a ridiculously belligerent move. A grid drop and penalty points seems to be the stewards trying to stamp on his on-track behaviour before someone gets badly hurt.

Red Bull is just the biggest trash bin of people in motorsport:
Literally the same people that were crying when Max had to go to the hospital for a checkup. Were they always like this?
So wait, Helmut "blinded by a stone while racing" Marko thinks that drivers helmets getting hit doesn't injure them?

Literally the same people that were crying when Max had to go to the hospital for a checkup. Were they always like this?
It's comments like this from Marko/Horner that have made me never like Red Bull. It was definitely the same when Vettel was there.

What's also weird about this is the talk about this Halo incident is nothing compared to all of the "51G" noise we heard after Silverstone.
Weird? No, that's par for course from RedBull. Horner and Marko will complain about anything that impacts them negatively and blow it out of proportion.

So wait, Helmut "blinded by a stone while racing" Marko thinks that drivers helmets getting hit doesn't injure them?
Well, he seems to think that injuries can't manifest over time, or understand that HAM trying to drive out was done while high on adrenaline.

Or he does, and he's just talking **** as usual. Remember, this is the man who suggested purposely infecting his entire team with COVID-19 because they're all fit and healthy.

100%, yes. Marko literally blamed Webber for a collision Vettel caused.

Marko is an absolute 🤬 and I've never liked him.

I'm still baffled why Verstappen didn't take the exit run-off like he did earlier in the race. It just seemed like he had huge, obvious understeer and hitting the orange sausage with his left wheels was only ever going to be the best-case scenario - which was always going to bounce him towards the gravel whether there was a car next to him or not.
I think he was committed to doing what he's done before; taking that outside line, and then switching back towards the left that would put Lewis on the outside, would allow Max to squeeze Lewis once again to the circuit boundary.

I think he was committed to doing what he's done before; taking that outside line, and then switching back towards the left that would put Lewis on the outside, would allow Max to squeeze Lewis once again to the circuit boundary.
Different situation coming in because Max is much further ahead than he was vs HAM, but...

Last edited:
Different situation coming in because Max is much further ahead than he was vs HAM, but...

He's also not fighting the 1 guy he's in close contention for a championship win. He's also made contact with Massa just before they can execute the turn.

And given it showing Max ending up in the same line of facing the middle of the rumble strip, I wonder why he would put himself back into that position instead of backing out.

Last edited:
I would argue it's most similar to the Gio and Leclerc entry to T1 in the race, Max probably would of made the corner if he put the sausage in the middle of the car rather then on the leftwheel like with the Massa incident, but compared to the Gio and Leclerc incident you can see why Max stayed with it, Hamilton gave him a decent amount of room initially but then squeezed more later which was the opposite of Leclerc so it looked more possible only for the door to be shut at the last second.

It's a racing incident though with slightly more fault with Max and I think the penalty is more to try and warn about future tanglements and the fact they gave Hamilton a penalty in Silverstone even though I think that one was more a one driver fault then this in that case Hamilton didn't use all the space provided.

If Tsunoda goes, RB have Albon, Lawson, Vips and Daruvala all lined up in the queue ahead of Piastri. He needs to obliterate everyone in these last few rounds to make him impossible not to pick in 2022
All of them except Albon don't have enough Super license points, allthough Lawson will likely get enough this year if he gets a top 2 position in DTM, I wouldn't rate them at the same Level as Piastri though and Redbull have a History of looking outside, given Albon was dropped from the program before he made it into F1, and that was after they tried to get Norris.

The Current 3 race format(which is incredibly stupid) makes it basically impossible to dominate in F2 anymore as getting a good qualifying position for the feature race effectively ruins your chances of a win in the first 2 races(which is what has happened to Piastri).

Last edited:
Back