Formula 1 Heineken Grande Prémio De Portugal 2020Formula 1 

• Thread starter Jimlaad43
  • 231 comments
That version of the anthem at the start was wonderful.

Nice track, but as much I like the undulations and blind corners, I'd probably puke into my helmet as I spin off into nowhere. Bring it back for 2021!

Some decent scraps this race! Leclerc and Gasly did an amazing job. Was hoping McLaren would finish higher... it was looking good for a while. Ah well. Nice 6th for Sainz, and recovery for Perez.

And congrats for Hamilton for breaking another record.

This went from an exciting race at the first 5 laps to an absolute snoozer like it always is with the same 3 usual suspects out front.

Also it is beyond impossible on Twitter to say the race was boring when you have Hamilton fans calling you a "Hater" and "Crybaby" every single time. :indiff:

You thought this race was boring?

What a tease by McLaren at the start.

Both Ferraris in the points, superb job by Charles.

Great drive by Gasly!

Albon beat by Kimi and lapped by Max. I think his seat is gone after this season unless as someone else said, he wins the next race with both Mercs. still in it.

Edit: Kimi's first lap was art.

Last edited:
As much as I want another team to pose an actual threat to Mercedes for more than the occasional race, a part of me also wants to see them run the table next year.

You thought this race was boring?

It was above average but mostly aided by people falling out of position at the start. Once that sorted itself out with highway overtakes on the straight not much happened, bit of racing in the midfield but nothing up top.

At least we don't need to hear the commentators saying "Hamilton can break the record for wins here today". Really we're just waiting for #100 for poles and wins now.

As much as I want another team to pose an actual threat to Mercedes for more than the occasional race, a part of me also wants to see them run the table next year.
I’ll take Mercedes running the table if they put someone in the other car who can actually challenge Hamilton. We Either need Bottas 10.0 or Russell in that seat as fans, but Bottas finishing 2nd 20 seconds behind Hamilton is good enough for Mercedes, as long as he’s second

We've been seeing them "step it up" for the last 6 years with barely any results

Yep but again, what can we do? FIA have thrown different regs at them, done mid-season rules changes, but they keep winning. It's unprecedented domination but all we can do is hope someone finally catches up. I'm sure there is some philosophical law which suggests it has to happen eventually.

Yep but again, what can we do? FIA have thrown different regs at them, done mid-season rules changes, but they keep winning. It's unprecedented domination but all we can do is hope someone finally catches up. I'm sure there is some philosophical law which suggests it has to happen eventually.
Budget cap and aero development limits have all been brought in from next season to stop big teams developing onwards.

Why have people forgotten that the rule change that will actually have an effect is coming next year?

We've been seeing them "step it up" for the last 6 years with barely any results

But is that Mercedes fault, or the fault of the other teams? Each team (for the most part) is doing all they can to be the best and win races,, and the FIA has also tried slowing them through rule changes over the years. If Mercedes consistently does the best job, in spite of their rivals progress or the changes and regulations, then it stands to reason that they'll do well.

2022, however, might mix things up, as everyone will basically be on an equal footing.

Budget cap and aero development limits have all been brought in from next season to stop big teams developing onwards.

Why have people forgotten that the rule change that will actually have an effect is coming next year?

I've not forgotten, I just don't see it helping that much. Mercedes are a might of engineering and technical excellence, they keep finding ways to stay on top and I sadly see that continuing even with that. I think the only thing we may see is the midfield getting slightly closer, but still a ways off the top three, assuming Ferrari do return to where they should be soon.

That was like 50cc on Mario Kart lol

It was interesting how he was finding so much grip on the very inside of all the tighter corners.

Last edited:
That race started great but got worse as it went on. Still, I think there's room for a permanent spot on the calendar.

I had a little touch with Sergio, but he didn’t give me enough space so he basically took himself out.
ElLZQ6NWAAEqULq.jpg

2022, however, might mix things up, as everyone will basically be on an equal footing.
Not really, the aero rules are changing but not the engines that much. There were originally plans to completely overhaul the engine regs, but Mercedes [and to an extent Renault] campaigned hard for them to stay as similar as possible to the current ones. They’ll be mildly simplified, but still are hy-kers turbo V6s. Basically dead in the water, to translate. The entire point of the 21/now 22 regs were to entice new engine manufacturers and teams, and to make the cars cheaper. The bulk of the engine development costs goes to the hybrid systems which is why they’re so expensive, which is why no new engine supplier wants to join even for 2022.
They screwed the pooch by trying to appease the big OEMs like Mercedes and Renault. It’s the exact same mistake they’ve been making since the 90s. “Let’s push all the garagistas out and pander to OEMs. Wait, why have all the non-works teams left and the costs skyrocketed? We need to pander to the OEMs to make sure they don’t leave as well!”

:lol:

It's driver of the day, not decade. It doesn't really say anything except that it's two different people.

Objectively Lewis crushed it today, the elephant in the room is racism is prevalent in general society, and regardless of whether this is subconscious or not it is reflected the public votes...

Back