Formula 1 Honda Japanese Grand Prix 2022Formula 1 

• Thread starter Jimlaad43
  • 304 comments
Literally the same type of tractor with huge solid counterweight on the back.

Bianchi father was kinda pissed off and I can only agree with him. It's sad to see that the FIA still let things like that happen. Granted as it was said, it's more common in Japan but if the death of a young and talented driver dont make you change your way, I'm not sure what will do. The problem is FIA not wanting to blame anyone except Bianchi I think it started from there so if they didnt do anyhting wrong, why change hey ?

Congratulations to Max on an amazing season, not a fan of Max or Red Bull but they were impressive this year. Crushed everyone (pending the over the cap situation) amazing season.

Last edited:
(1994)

That part of the rule has been around for at least thirty years, probably even fourty years considering the original half points rule was created in the early 1980s. The intended meaning of that phrase seems to have been "if the race can be restarted, it will be completed in full". It was meaningless until it became possible for a race to be completed without reaching full distance. I doubt that Charlie Whiting was ever aware of it either, otherwise he'd have raised concerns after the creation of the 4 hour time limit in 2012.
That part of the rule, but it remains the case that the FIA rewrote the rule after Belgium 2021 following a meeting in February 2022 - at which it announced the new points for races where the leader didn't complete 100% distance - and it was Masi who drafted the rule, which was then ratified by the teams.

No points will be awarded unless a minimum of two laps have been completed by the leader without a Safety Car and/or Virtual Safety Car intervention.

If the leader has completed more than two laps but less than 25% of the scheduled race distance, the top five finishers will be awarded points as follows:
1st – 6 points
2nd – 4 points
3rd – 3 points
4th – 2 points
5th – 1 point
If the leader has completed 25% but less than 50% of the scheduled race distance, points will be awarded as follows:
1st – 13 points
2nd – 10 points
3rd – 8 points
4th – 6 points
5th – 5 point
6th – 4 points
7th – 3 points
8th – 2 points
9th – 1 point
If the leader has completed 50% but less than 75% of the scheduled race distance, points will be awarded as follows:
1st – 19 points
2nd – 14 points
3rd – 12 points
4th – 9 points
5th – 8 point
6th – 6 points
7th – 5 points
8th – 3 points
9th – 2 points
10th – 1 point

Note that all regulatory changes are subject to approval by the World Motor Sport Council.
6.5 If a race is suspended in accordance with Article 57, and cannot be resumed, points for each title will be awarded in accordance with the following criteria:
a) No points will be awarded If the leader has completed less than two (2) laps.
b) In each case detailed in Article 6.5c), 6.5d), 6.5e) and 6.5f), no points will be awarded unless a minimum of two (2) laps have been completed by the leader without a Safety Car and/or VSC intervention.
c) If the leader has completed two (2) laps but less than 25% of the scheduled race distance, points will be awarded in accordance with column 1 of the table below.
d) If the leader has completed 25% but less than 50% of the scheduled race distance, points will be awarded in accordance with column 2 of the table below.
e) If the leader has completed 50% but less than 75% of the scheduled race distance, points will be awarded in accordance with column 3 of the table below.
f) If the leader has completed 75% or more of the scheduled race distance, full points will be awarded in accordance with Article 6.4.
And of course it has only come into play because of the reduced three-hour time limit, introduced to the 2021 Sporting Regulations following a 2020 meeting, and drafted by... Masi.

Apparently nobody noticed that gaping loophole until it became relevant over the weekend. The teams who voted to implement both rules certainly didn't!

FetdXZHXoAA3Hro.jpg

That part of the rule, but it remains the case that the FIA rewrote the rule after Belgium 2021 following a meeting in February 2022 - at which it announced the new points for races where the leader didn't complete 100% distance - and it was Masi who drafted the rule, which was then ratified by the teams.

And of course it has only come into play because of the reduced three-hour time limit, introduced to the 2021 Sporting Regulations following a 2020 meeting, and drafted by... Masi.

Apparently nobody noticed that gaping loophole until it became relevant over the weekend. The teams who voted to implement both rules certainly didn't!
Yep, It seems the new time limit is what changed and they didn't take the time to think about the implications of it... It's pretty obvious after the fact...

Clearly everyone was under the impression the rules were for shortened races and not only for un-resumed stopped races. The feeling from most was the Belgium was half points for 2 laps was too much so the rules were intended to distribute more evenly and it's hilarious that some internetiots are arguing that the intention was not clear - ie maybe they intended to only affect red flags...

Some interesting points / records :
At Belgium Max was the 6th driver to win a race shorter than 75%
At Suzuka Max is now the 1st driver to win more than once in a race less than 75% distance
Max is now the 1st driver (at least since 1975) to win a race less than 75% distance and get full points.

It's a debacle fitting of the current mess that is Fl .

Last edited:
Didn't watch the race and from what I've read on this thread, I don't feel like it's necessary to even watch the highlights...Anyway, Congrats to Max, credit where credit is due. Even though this looked like one of the easiest championship to date, he did the work and showed yet again he's got the speed, the consistency and the talent to stay on top. Despite my personal bias against Red Bull as a team, they've also been on top of their games too so a very well deserved WCC for them.
Actually, RB being the top of their game as a team is also the main factor why Max is the WDC. Ferrari was a team that throughout the season made terrible decisions and mistakes. People shouldn't downplay the team factor (or anything really) in favor of the driver. F1 is full-on team sport, Max and Charles are closer driving skill-wise (he only made 2 major mistakes, that's a few, not like Ferrari's), especially also point-wise if Ferrari didn't screw up many of his races, but RB and Ferrari as a team are world apart.
How has he reached his peak since 2018? If that's the case, we can't expect to see much more from him and his future in F1 then?....and from what Max has shown so far, I find that hard to believe.
He was blindingly fast before that, but he was more error-prone. 2018 was the year that had him turn into a consistent driver as well, shown in him beating Ricciardo and also Bottas in superior car. I won't think that he got dramatically better or such since 2018 as he's still not above Bottas (in the similar gap between dominant Merc and RB as 2018) in 2019 and 2020 but remains close for the latter.

Max became WDC in 2021 because he finally got a championship winning car, F1 is far more car dependent (even best drivers won't get any points in worst backmarker cars). And probably his 2022 can be marginally worse than his 2021 (but overall debatable of which's better, not dramatically better or such) due to drives like Singapore 2022.

Feels like, to me, enough experience is what matters in F1, not collecting more and more experience in early to late 30s or such (though obviously any experience can be used to learn something). Many drivers actually perform better in younger, earlier years than later years (before they're past their prime).

Last edited:
Even after the interviews RB weren't sure Max was actually champion.

Last edited:
Only if it had some bearing on the outcome of the constructor's title. Which it doesn't.
That reminds me... FACC points!

1. Mercedes - 302pt
2. Red Bull - 290pt
3. Ferrari - 234pt
4. Alpine - 168pt
5. McLaren - 164pt
6. Aston Martin - 154pt
7. Haas - 117pt
8. Alfa Romeo - 97pt
9. AlphaTauri - 83pt
10. Williams - 64pt

This one's going down to the wire, by the looks... Ferrari not mathematically out of it yet (100pt remaining), Alpine/McLaren/Aston as close as Mercedes/Red Bull, Haas top of F1.75 by 20pt - which is nothing at this point...

Last edited:
But they could make it a RB 1-2 for the WDC.
Better marketing wise than 1-3.
I'm not sure that anyone other than Checo (and his side of the garage) within RedBull care about that. Drivers and constructors championships is all that gets writen in the record books.

Having said that, i imagine Perez will get second in the championship anyway. He's been getting more and more impressive as the seasons progressed.

Does FACC not consider sprint races and fastest lap points?
It does not.

Sprint races are just protracted qualifying anyway, and there's no team aspect to fastest laps. It also doesn't care about double-point final rounds. It's just a first-to-tenth ranking of teams' second classified finishers, with any DNF/DNS/DNQ scoring zero.

Moss '58, Lauda '76, Prost '84, Senna '89, Prost '90, Raikkonen '05, Hamilton '07, Massa '08, Alonso '12, and Hamilton '16 and '21 aren't going anywhere any time soon.

Moss '58, Lauda '76, Prost '84, Senna '89, Prost '90, Raikkonen '05, Hamilton '07, Massa '08, Alonso '12, and Hamilton '16 and '21 aren't going anywhere any time soon.
Yeh, there was a comment about 'dominant seasons'...

I do think that the sport is too focuesed on winning only and doesn't give enough credit and respect to the season runner ups and the 3rd in the WDC... I think the odd one out is often a driver that has got the most out of the car to beat the rest of the field compared to the 2nd driver in the top team whether they finish in P2 or P3.

Prost was runner up 4 times - once by 2 points, another only 0.5 points...

Schumacher finished top 3 points in 13 /15 seasons in first part of his career, once miss was 5th place in the WDC after missing 1/3 season with a broken leg.. his consistency in the Benettons and the initially less competitive Ferrari was legend making.

Kimi is only a 1 time WDC, but that is unfair as he was seriously competitive in many seasons.

To be fair to @Samus he said nobody remembers 2nd place in a dominant season. There are of course plenty of memorable 2nd placers in seasons where it went down to the wire.

Latest Posts

Back