Formula 1 MSC Cruises Gran Premio del Made in Italy E Dell'Emilia-Romagna 2024Formula 1 

• Thread starter Jimlaad43
  • 95 comments

Jimlaad43

GeoGuessr God
Premium
United Kingdom
United Kingdom
I swear this race name is just being deliberately stupid but we return to Imola for the first European race of the season. The race was forced to be cancelled last season due to flooding in the region on the race weekend, so this will be the first race back since 2022 here. The classic track has had a few runoff changes to bring gravel back to the edge of the exit kerbs as a way to tackle track limits issues. Lando Norris comes into this race as the newest Formula 1 Grand Prix winner after some impressive pace at Miami to beat Max Verstappen on track. Can Max bounce back, or have the McLaren upgrades been the step forward the championship needs for more regular fights for the win? We will only find out at the EMILIA-ROMAGNA GRAND PRIX!
Screenshot_20240514-130541.png

First Grand Prix

Number of Laps

Circuit Length
4.909km

Race Distance
309.049 km

Lap Record
1:15.484
Lewis Hamilton (2020)​

All the annoying tarmac run offs from turn 9 to turn 15 have been done away with and replaced with gravel.

Ah, the just slam on the keyboard Emilia Romagna/San Marino GP. Is it just me, or is the track very narrow (but not Monaco narrow)?

Formula 1 MSC Cruises Gran Premio del Made in Italy E Dell'Emilia-Romagna 2024
Big NASCAR race name vibes from this.

Not quite as bad as "Crown Royal presents the 'Your Hero's Name Here' 400 at the Brickyard powered by BigMachineRecords.com", but close.

Possibly the penultimate race at this track, Not sure how much it would be missed if it did drop off the calendar, though anything is better than another street race. F1 slowly morphing into FE.

Big NASCAR race name vibes from this.

Not quite as bad as "Crown Royal presents the 'Your Hero's Name Here' 400 at the Brickyard powered by BigMachineRecords.com", but close.
You're just angry they didn't select you as a hero. (I agree with you though).

Possibly the penultimate race at this track, Not sure how much it would be missed if it did drop off the calendar, though anything is better than another street race. F1 slowly morphing into FE.
I'd miss it. A proper race track, a seemingly dying breed in F1 at the moment. Plus the races have been pretty good since it's return.

Red Bull sound like they have got a sizeable upgrade for this race so might reduce chances for Ferrari being as competitive as they might have hoped for unless things don't go to plan for Red Bull. This circuit, McLaren and Lando are usually quite strong at so hopefully they can be strong again this weekend. Will be good to see pecking order at this race as most teams are bringing upgrades so they will be able to see the updated gap needed to close down to their nearest rivals. Might help teams with future developments if they see interesting solutions that might be easy to copy for future upgrades.

Rain potential for the race could spice things up!

I'm not sure I want to see rain in the mix for this weekend.... primarily because I want to see how each of the so call "big upgrades" that most of the teams are bringing will perform. If it rains, it will be hard to see their gains if any.

I wouldn’t miss it, F1 has outgrown this track. Italy doesn't need two races anyway.

Last edited:
I'm not sure I want to see rain in the mix for this weekend.... primarily because I want to see how each of the so call "big upgrades" that most of the teams are bringing will perform. If it rains, it will be hard to see their gains if any.
Agreed, not just for the big upgrade potential but also the rain kind of nullifies the racing here a bit too much. Produces dramatic moments but not good racing.

An interesting FP1 session as many cars found the track to be a bit bumpier than expected. I'd expect to see a few softer cars to deal with them for the next sessions.

Lec, Rus, Sai top 3 as many drivers made mistakes. Both VCARB's went through the gravel at Rivazza, many drivers skipped the chicane at Variante Alta, Albon broke down and Hamilton had a big spin at Acque Minerale.

Verstappen had an uncharacteristic bad session, really quick everywhere except Acque Minerale, a corner he seemed to struggle for grip with over the bumps and kerbs, culminating in a few slides and a trip through the gravel.

We'll see what changes for FP2.

Hulk's laptime wasn't representative, I'd assume his soft run was compromised by the Red Flag

The last couple of Grand Prix and this years WEC race have all been grey and miserable, I forgot how beautiful Imola is in the sun.

Last edited:
Red Bull seems to be really struggling here. So many mistakes from Max is very....what's the word - uncharacteristic.

Meanwhile, Tsunoda is flying in the vcarb

Ferrari seems very confident this weekend and the Mclarens are quick as hell too.

This race could be fun to watch - still hoping for no rain but if it does happen then maybe a light sprinkle lol.

Last edited:
I’m just glad this isn’t a sprint weekend. McLaren and Ferrari look really good.
I'm missing the sprint format already. Martin Brundle is right, qualifying and a race is way better than practice.

Red Bull seems to be really struggling here. So many mistakes from Max is very....what's the wold - uncharacteristic.

Meanwhile, Tsunoda is flying in the vcarb

Ferrari seems very confident this weekend and the Mclarens are quick as hell too.

This race could be fun to watch - still hoping for no rain but if it does happen then maybe a light sprinkle lol.
Wonder if the updates have taken them backwards a bit. Did they A/B the parts?

Perez crashing tells me that they are probably still not quite comfortable in that red bull. Max's first sector before the red flag was over 2 tenths down from Piastri's lap. So I want to believe that this will not be a Max and Red Bull runaway

The McLaren could definitely be on for poles and even the win here as well. This could be the first 3 team battle for a race win that we've seen in a while. I'm getting excited now 😆

The downfall of red bull, is it finally happening? Would love to see them fall into the upper midfield with Mercedes.

For all his marginal involvement with the car (according to Horner), Newey's absence from Miami and now Imola sure seems to coincide with a drop in form.

Although just watch them take pole by 0.75s.

Back