Formula 1 Pirelli British Grand Prix 2020Formula 1 

• Thread starter Jimlaad43
  • 512 comments
I mean...as someone who thinks that the LH/Mercedes' whining does get a little over-the-top here sometimes, Hamilton got super lucky today. If Max wasn't called into the pits beforehand, Lewis would've absolutely lost the race.

Christian Horner on Sky was just saying the left front that came off Max's car had a groove or laceration running all around the tyre, so if Max hadn't pitted... who knows?

Hamilton gets a puncture and some racing "fans" here still call him lucky. :confused:

Hilarious. :lol:
It's the ramifications of what happened to him and Bottas in the championship battle. While Bottas didn't even score a point, Lewis won for having his tyre blow up a lap later.

Even when he wasn't in a dominant chassis, he still manage to win at least 1 race ever since he's been in F1.....please, go ahead and say the same thing about any other F1 drivers in the sport's history....if that's not enough to put him alongside all the "greatest" I really don't know what else will!

So..every season from 2007 to 2013 then? When he won one title, almost two, and won races every season in cars that were sometimes third best?

In an era with the most parity between the cars in F1’s history, where even midfield and backmarker teams could realistically score podiums. Yeah. Alonso’s performance in that era was more impressive.

It's the ramifications of what happened to him and Bottas in the championship battle. While Bottas didn't even score a point, Lewis won for having his tyre blow up a lap later.

Trying to keep up with Hamilton in his dirty air for a good amount of laps, suffering from blistering and lack of pace towards the last few laps. You're not comparing like for like.

But it's your hate for Hamilton to make you think like this, so I understand.

Because Bottas was pushing so hard, Hamilton blew a tyre.

Maximum level nonsense.

Hilarious isn't it?

Because Bottas was pushing so hard, Hamilton blew a tyre.

Maximum level nonsense.

They were matched on pace for more or less the whole race but the different was Bottas running in Hamilton's dirty air the entire time.

They were matched on pace for more or less the whole race but the different was Bottas running in Hamilton's dirty air the entire time.

Bottas never came within a second, apart from the safety car situations. Hamilton on 60% (if it even was that high) was more than enough to stay ahead of Bottas.

As an aside, when adjusted for modern points, Hamilton is now 24 points behind Schumacher's career total.

Last edited:
In an era with the most parity between the cars in F1’s history, where even midfield and backmarker teams could realistically score podiums. Yeah. Alonso’s performance in that era was more impressive.

Yeah, I don't deny that Alonso's performance was impressive. The guy is a terrific driver, no question there. However that still doesn't change the fact that even with all his mighty skills and performance, he hasn't been able to replicate Lewis's success and/or achievements.

You said Lewis is upper 10th percentile at best, meanwhile he is rewriting the record book of the sport, regardless if it is through sheer luck or whatever else you want to say. There comes a time where one just have to give some credit where credit is due. While other F1 drivers are acknowledging him for his achievements, a lot of people (you included from the looks of it) don't seem to think that he's earned or deserved any of it. So what exactly do you know that those other F1 drivers don't?

In my years of watching F1, a few things I've noticed is that in order to win championships, you don't only need to have a fast and reliable car, you need to outshine your teammate in the same car, you need raw talent and pace, you need some serious skills and as demonstrated by today's race, you also need a massive amount of luck. Along with that, you also need to be in tune with the car that you are driving so you can push the limits of car. Alonso is not on the grid right now but other than Lewis, the only other driver that I can see doing this is Max...which by the way, I think is also the only other driver who is probably capable of beating Lewis in the same car.

I'm not a fan of Lewis, however after watching him over his last few championships, I'll admit that he has left me impressed. To be able to keep going and keep winning even after all that his done is impressive IMO. Right now, I'm following him just because I'm very curious to see how far he'll go, how many more records he's going to break or set by the time he retires from F1. Like it or not, Lewis with Mercedes are making history and I'm just watching it for what it is..."history in the making".

So in your opinion, disregarding everything that Lewis has already achieved in F1 so far, what exactly does he have to do to be counted among the greatest drivers of F1? Should he drive the current Williams car that's over 1.5 seconds slower than anything else on the grid to pole and win the championship with it....I certainly hope not because I don't think even the great Alonso (or any of the other "greatest" for that matter) would be able to pull that off...so what it is?

Grosjean should have been parked by the stewards after his shenanigans with Sainz and Ricciardo. What a twit.

"Twit" indeed maybe a different vowel would suffice lol, his whining on the radio when they told him he was flagged was hilarious... Really suprised Haas kept him on after the last 2 seasons stunning incompetence...

Grosjean should have been parked by the stewards after his shenanigans with Sainz and Ricciardo. What a twit.
I'm honestly convinced that Grosjean is single handedly dragging the entire team down. Either he's got some really incriminating evidence against Gene Haas or the team's prestige is so low that they can't find anyone willing take that seat from him.

I'm honestly convinced that Grosjean is single handedly dragging the entire team down. Either he's got some really incriminating evidence against Gene Haas or the team's prestige is so low that they can't find anyone willing take that seat from him.

Yeah, I'm right there with you. I really don't understand why he is still on the grid. Surely there are some upcoming drivers who could have probably fare better. After his last 2 seasons, I really thought they were going to replace him

Grosjean, Vettel, Raikkonen and Albon were really poor this weekend.

What a fun 3 days. It was so weird to be at a Closed Door Grand Prix. Walking around areas that usually would have food vans, being near a concert area that was empty and the grandstands that were bare. Once cars were on track though, you didn't really notice until something happened, such as Hamilton's spin in quali. The lack of crowd reaction was really noticeable.

No big screens and no commentary meant we had no idea what was going on elsewhere on the track, so we just had to use osmosis or glance at the Autosport Live commentary if there was a big enough gap in the traffic.

Crazy race. Kvyat's crash was utterly insane, glad he was alright and I hope they stick some tyres on that wall in the future.

The last few laps, absolutely insane. Bottas's tyre down was the first bit of craziness, and then Hamilton's went right in front of me. Due to the lack of commentary I had no idea that was the last lap, so had no idea where he'd finished in the slow down lap.

Absolutely insane and I hope Pirelli don't bottle it and make sure they keep the softer compounds for next week. It will force the teams to 2 or even 3 stop their drivers, which would make the race fantastic!

It's so weird to come home from a Grand Prix and know I'll be going back next week!!!

Grosjean, Vettel, Raikkonen and Albon were really poor this weekend.

What a fun 3 days. It was so weird to be at a Closed Door Grand Prix. Walking around areas that usually would have food vans, being near a concert area that was empty and the grandstands that were bare. Once cars were on track though, you didn't really notice until something happened, such as Hamilton's spin in quali. The lack of crowd reaction was really noticeable.

No big screens and no commentary meant we had no idea what was going on elsewhere on the track, so we just had to use osmosis or glance at the Autosport Live commentary if there was a big enough gap in the traffic.

Crazy race. Kvyat's crash was utterly insane, glad he was alright and I hope they stick some tyres on that wall in the future.

The last few laps, absolutely insane. Bottas's tyre down was the first bit of craziness, and then Hamilton's went right in front of me. Due to the lack of commentary I had no idea that was the last lap, so had no idea where he'd finished in the slow down lap.

Absolutely insane and I hope Pirelli don't bottle it and make sure they keep the softer compounds for next week. It will force the teams to 2 or even 3 stop their drivers, which would make the race fantastic!

It's so weird to come home from a Grand Prix and know I'll be going back next week!!!
And did you also like me check the weather forecast for next weekend. It's getting hot. very HOT. (ok ok it's just a forecast for now). track temps around 50 degrees and a compound softer. Fireworks guaranteed?!

Kvyat said during the race when he was interviewed that it was not a puncture but after seeing the replays and analysis reports you could clearly see his right rear kind of exploded. I guess Pirelli already have had some phone calls from several teams?

Edit: yep --> https://www.autosport.com/f1/news/151028/pirelli-launches-investigation-into-british-gp-failures

Last edited:
And did you also like me check the weather forecast for next weekend. It's getting hot. very HOT. (ok ok it's just a forecast for now). track temps around 50 degrees and a compound softer. Fireworks guaranteed?!

Kvyat said during the race when he was interviewed that it was not a puncture but after seeing the replays and analysis reports you could clearly see his right rear kind of exploded. I guess Pirelli already have had some phone calls from several teams?

Edit: yep --> https://www.autosport.com/f1/news/151028/pirelli-launches-investigation-into-british-gp-failures
FP2 was 36/37℃ and absolutely horrible having to wear KERS gloves and a face mask. Next weekend will be chaos with the softer tyres.

You don't hear about it much but I'm assuming most drivers wear cool suits under their race suit? I remember seeing that at IMSA races.

I wouldn't want to work with Steiner either, to be fair.

I thought about this for a while... but didn't Hamilton deserve a penalty for driving a damaged car and not get a safety inspection? They hammered LeClerc in Suzuka for that.

"By not bringing car #16 into the pits at the end of lap one, immediately after the incident for a safety inspection when there was damage clearly visible and then by telling the driver to remain out for an additional lap after telling the race director otherwise, the team created an unsafe condition on the circuit which only narrowly avoided being a major incident and also increased the likelihood of additional incidents after the one noted."

This seems similar, given that the carcass could have come off, causing a dangerous situation for Lewis or another driver. I'm just going on precedent.

I thought about this for a while... but didn't Hamilton deserve a penalty for driving a damaged car and not get a safety inspection? They hammered LeClerc in Suzuka for that.

"By not bringing car #16 into the pits at the end of lap one, immediately after the incident for a safety inspection when there was damage clearly visible and then by telling the driver to remain out for an additional lap after telling the race director otherwise, the team created an unsafe condition on the circuit which only narrowly avoided being a major incident and also increased the likelihood of additional incidents after the one noted."

This seems similar, given that the carcass could have come off, causing a dangerous situation for Lewis or another driver. I'm just going on precedent.

They'll never slam Hamilton with a penalty for it. I almost feel like they picked on Leclerc last year for the dumbest ****.

Hamilton is the golden boy, the most he'll ever get is a 5sec penalty.

Gilles Villeneuve, Netherlands 1979
Fernando Alonso, Azerbaijan 2018
Lewis Hamilton, Great Britain 2020

Now the three most iconic heroic laps with punctured tyres in F1 history.

I think the issue is 2 things. Ferrari gave the driver & the race director conflicting messages which certainly can't help keep the race director from considering punishment. Lewis' case may be side-stepped in comparison b/c (iirc), he was not around any other drivers by a considerable distance, so maybe they thought he wasn't posing any risk. There could also be the decision to let him cross the line than come into the pits for entertainment purposes since it was the very last lap & the only driver coming up behind him was Max in 2nd.

I think the issue is 2 things. Ferrari gave the driver & the race director conflicting messages which certainly can't help keep the race director from considering punishment. Lewis' case may be side-stepped in comparison b/c (iirc), he was not around any other drivers by a considerable distance, so maybe they thought he wasn't posing any risk. There could also be the decision to let him cross the line than come into the pits for entertainment purposes since it was the very last lap & the only driver coming up behind him was Max in 2nd.
He had the chance to pit on the second to last lap, though. We should also consider Lewis's safety too.

The big thing with LecLerc's incident was that he continued driving around despite the fact that bits of wing and carbon were flinging off the car at speed, in front of his fellow competitors, and he didn't come back in in a reasonable amount of time. Not to mention the conflicting information being passed around between LecLerc, his pit wall and the race director, which made the problem even worse.

With Lewis, he was already on the final lap when his tire went down, so there was no chance for him to go back to the pits anyways. It's also worth noting that for Lewis, Carlos and Bottas, the tire didn't "burst," but rather destroyed itself slowly. On the onboards you can see the tire twist around before eventually giving out, which seemed to significantly reduce the amount of tire debris on the track, which Lewis helped himself with by slowing down. Toto even admitted that they considered bringing Lewis in but ultimately decided against it. I feel like Mercedes could make a fairly reasonable argument that they looked at the situation and felt that they were safe, and could also make a reasonable argument that when the tire did go down, their driver did everything he could to prevent an unsafe situation.

For me, the most remarkable thing honestly is that Lewis' front wing stayed together for the remainder of the lap. It's miraculous that he didn't destroy it while driving and put carbon all over the place.

In my years of watching F1, a few things I've noticed is that in order to win championships, you don't only need to have a fast and reliable car, you need to outshine your teammate in the same car, you need raw talent and pace, you need some serious skills and as demonstrated by today's race, you also need a massive amount of luck. Along with that, you also need to be in tune with the car that you are driving so you can push the limits of car.

The problem with not fully appreciating Hamilton's achievements is right there. The only driver he's had to outshine for the last three years has been his team mate who, let's be honest, is mid-field material at best. In his career Bottas has partnered Maldonado (whom he barely beat), post-injury Massa (whom he beat with a slightly bigger difference) and Hamilton. Nobody in their right minds rates Maldonado or Massa, especially in his late career form, as top drivers and Bottas is a hair above their level. Hamilton himself ran pretty much neck to neck with Button in their McLaren years and very few people would rate Button at the absolute top either.

Cruel but true: given Hamilton's seat, any of the mentioned drivers would have won at least the last three world championships with the Mercedes. That's how good the car is. Last year F2 driver Nikita Mazepin drove the Mercedes for his first time in Barcelona testing and was 1,3 seconds faster than anyone else that day, including full time race drivers. That's how good the car is.

And it's exactly why it's hard to appreciate what Hamilton is doing with it because very nearly everyone on the grid would be able to do the same. The only man to beat would be Bottas, with less than stellar pace and a naive belief that he has the same support from the team as Hamilton, and that would be it.

In fact I have a very strong feeling that the only reason they keep renewing Bottas' contracts is that nobody else would buy the stories about having a fair chance and keep smiling when everyone with a brain can see that the only fair thing he gets from the team is his paycheck. He's the ultimate fool for the job - capable enough of bringing the car home in one piece while posing no actual threat and apparently dim enough to not question all the "alternate strategies" in races while he's leading, being refueled awfully conveniently a bit too much for the last Q3 qualifying run, or after topping the timesheets in FP1 and FP2 the car mysteriously losing a few tenths of pace for the qualifying and nobody knowing what caused it.

Has anybody else had their Driver of the Day vote changed from their original choice to Hamilton? I have. Very weird.

Back