Formula 1 Pirelli British Grand Prix 2021Formula 1 

• Thread starter Jimlaad43
  • 883 comments
Both drivers at fault, give Lewis a penalty anyway as he's got away Scott free while Max retired from the incident. Lewis was far enough alongside that he deserved the space Max didn't give. But he did slide a tiny bit wide hence he deserves some blame.

The cordial rivalry between the two has just shattered in the Copse Tyre Wall though.

This is the point at which Verstappen started turning in, and also the point at which Hamilton backed out. They can both see each other, they're both entitled to room, and they both could have done more to avoid each other - but they made contact anyway. Racing incident.

Although with Christian "Karen" Horner's radio message, I hope Verstappen gets a penalty for it 😄
He is on the dirty side at a almost no angle to that corner and will always understeers wide, which he did.He completely ran wide too after that.

Slam dunk.

Simple point Is there is no tight inside line at that corner. At full speed you are going to drift out to to outside line 100% of the time, and Max gave him space as required.

Its really the culmination of two drivers who won't back out but HAM is always the one at fault going up the inside at Copse at 170mph.

How is it not acceptable? They were racing each other, they were going through multiple corners, wheel-to-wheel, so this was going to happen eventually. It's the nature of this sport for things like this to happen. If anything, I'm surprised Max and Lewis haven't had more crashes like this considering how hard they've been pushing each other.
A collision in a race, in a series, that prides itself for zero body contact and having the best drivers, is never acceptable. Period. Just because it will happen eventually does not mean it is acceptable.

I want to see wheel to wheel racing for 52 laps, with clean passes. Contact with another vehicle is never acceptable. I used to think that it should be okay, since it happens (like these incidents), but then I get told by many F1 fans that if I want to see body contact as acceptable, to go watch NASCAR.

Theory: Hamilton said he didn't want a team mate to be competitive(pointing at a fast driver like Russell) as it would cause clashes.

So anyway race wise, BOT is likely to lead after the pit stops with HAM taking a penalty, will he then play the team game and let HAM past?

Glad that Verstappen got out of that one all right. Hamilton had a terrific tow and I can understand why he wanted to get the move done on the inside, but clearly it was not going to work with the way he dropped back as Verstappen committed to his line. Very aggressive start from both of them up to that point.

So anyway race wise, BOT is likely to lead after the pit stops with HAM taking a penalty, will he then play the team game and let HAM past?
Remove Bottas with a thanos snap, give lewis a 30second penalty and lewis can still win due to the performance of the benz.
This is the issue with the time penalty.

Question to the group, was Horner correct when saying, "...you know you don't do that here." (In reference to sticking a wheel on the inside at Copse)?

Actually even allowing the Mercedes team to work on and check over Hamiltons car for damage during the red flag is BS as well.

A collision in a race, in a series, that prides itself for zero body contact and having the best drivers, is never acceptable. Period. Just because it will happen eventually does not mean it is acceptable.

I want to see wheel to wheel racing for 52 laps, with clean passes. Contact with another vehicle is never acceptable. I used to think that it should be okay, since it happens (like these incidents), but then I get told by many F1 fans that if I want to see body contact as acceptable, to go watch NASCAR.
I'm not saying that the contact is acceptable, but I'm suggesting that incidents like that happen and THAT should be accepted. It's awful what happened to Max, and despite being a Lewis fan, I was immediately worried about Max's safety. I was for the Belgian GP in 2019 when Anthoine Hubert passed away in that horrible accident in F2; I definitely don't want to see these things happen to these drivers.

Racing is inherently dangerous, contact will happen, we have to be able to accept that. Even drivers have said they want to be able to go all out without fears of being constantly penalized. Say what you want to say about this, but I hope you understand what I mean.

Last edited:
I'm not saying that the contact is acceptable, but I'm suggesting that incidents like that happen and THAT should be accepted. It's awful what happened to Max, and despite being a Lewis fan, I was immediately worried about Max's safety. I was for the Belgian GP in 2019 when Anthoine Hubert passed away in that horrible accident in F2; I definitely don't want to see these things happen to these drivers.

Racing is inherently dangerous, contact will happen, we have to be able to accept that. Even drivers have said they want to be able to go all out without fears of being constantly penalized. Say what you want to say about this, but I hope you understand what I mean.
No, sorry. You will never convince me that it should be accepted, period. Yes, contact happens. Mistakes and accidents happen, but never acceptable. That's why it's against the rules and generally leads to a penalty. Hence the 10s penalty given here. If it wasn't against the rules, then fair play.

Back