Formula 1 Pirelli British Grand Prix 2021Formula 1 

• Thread starter Jimlaad43
  • 883 comments
I thought he didn't make the apex though :mischievous:

But also, no surprise. He got a tow from Verstappen out of Luffield and through Woodcote, and almost certainly opened the taps on the ERS.

Meanwhile Verstappen was also faster turning into Copse than at any point at the weekend including his qualifying lap, while being nine feet from the outside edge of the track.
He made AN apex, just not the normal one! 😅 I really hope Masi lets them present the evidence in full that he was faster, and then just says "...so?". In football, teams get fines / harsher penalties applied if they an appeal is unsuccessful, which I think needs to happen here as a deterrent in future. Talk about beating a dead horse...

Red Bull on Saturday: "[Max] is determined to put this incident behind him and use it as added motivation for the rest of the season, as are we"

Red Bull today: lol jk
Max actually did put it behind him. The team (management) decided to take this step. Max and the people directly around him are already busy with next race. Two different things.

Max actually did put it behind him. The team (management) decided to take this step. Max and the people directly around him are already busy with next race. Two different things.
"as are we". Said by Christian Horner. I'm sure Max has put it behind him.

So let's say Red Bull get what they want, which I hope they won't because as I'm sure a lot of other people have said on the thread, that move is very petty, what harsher penalty would Lewis be getting? Massive fines, race suspension, race ban, drop in position before the next race even start? Stop and Go penalty in the next race? I mean what more do they hope to get out that? A full refund on their car? This whole thing just seems so petty and so pathetic. I really dislike them now as a team....and I really wanted Honda to do well too 🤦‍♂️

@Roo In regards to your Max question, from listening to some of his remarks and looking at his body language when he gets pole/wins and also when he doesn't get it and/or come second so far this season, Max seems to be focusing solely on beating Lewis at each and every single race. At Silverstone, a track where Mercedes and Lewis has been so dominant at, if Max had bested them there it would have been a massive achievement (even Horner said that) so I think it was all about winning it or nothing and from the looks of it, Lewis was also thinking the same thing in this particular occasion since it was his home race!

Last edited:
So let's say Red Bull get what they want, which I hope they won't because as I'm sure a lot of other people have said on the thread, that move is very petty, what harsher penalty would Lewis be getting? Massive fines, race suspension, race ban, drop in position before the next race even start? Stop and Go penalty in the next race? I mean what more do they hope to get out that? A full refund on their car? This whole thing just seems so petty and so pathetic. I really dislike them now as a team....and I really wanted Honda to do well too
It depends entirely on the new evidence they're supposed to be providing. As per the regulations penalties cannot be changed or overruled unless new evidence is provided that wasn't available at the time of the original decision. So Red Bull would need to do that, and that if it's upheld as worthy evidence, the stewards can revisit their decision as per the rulebook.

RB haven't revealed their new evidence but it's assumed to be what Brundle spoke about, HAM supposedly being faster than at any other time and that the contact was inevitable. Which isn't going to cut it, because it's not new evidence, they already knew HAMs speed and it's circumstancial anyway.

The only reasonable consequences of a harsher penalty applied would be some combination of:

• Time added to his British GP result, widening the championship gap by lowering Lewis' result.
  • Grid penalty in Hungary.
  • More points on his license.
And this is assuming RB even has a case, which I doubt. That's a lot of hot air for very little results...

The only reasonable consequences of a harsher penalty applied would be some combination of:

• Time added to his British GP result, widening the championship gap by lowering Lewis' result.
  • Grid penalty in Hungary.
  • More points on his license.
And this is assuming RB even has a case, which I doubt. That's a lot of hot air for very little results...
You forgot

• Off to the gulags, stripped of Knighthood and made to pay Red Bull the sum of... one million dollars One hundred billion dollars.

Last edited:
You forgot

• Off to the gulags, stripped of Knighthood and made to pay Red Bull the sum of... one million dollars One hundred billion dollars.
Ah yes, the evil master plan.
muahahah.png

@Roo In regards to your Max question, from listening to some of his remarks and looking at his body language when he gets pole/wins and also when he doesn't get it and/or come second so far this season, Max seems to be focusing solely on beating Lewis at each and every single race. At Silverstone, a track where Mercedes and Lewis has been so dominant at, if Max had bested them there it would have been a massive achievement (even Horner said that) so I think it was all about winning it or nothing and from the looks of it, Lewis was also thinking the same thing in this particular occasion since it was his home race!
Sure, but it's an approach that may cost him the championship. Given he's in the fastest car, if he aims for safely getting the most out of each weekend rather than trying to prove he's the best all the time he'll have the title wrapped up with a few rounds to go. It's the way Hamilton and others (Jamie Whincup, Scott Dixon, Colin Turkington all spring to mind) have won titles when they've had a car that's either not the quickest in the field, or the quickest but not by much, and Max risks losing the title by not employing it.

Max is still going on about the celebrations :lol:
So much for moving on.
I don't understand this take from him and Christian — it's profoundly childish, idiotic, and petty. Did I mention childish already? Because it's childish, too.

What were Lewis and Mercedes supposed to do after winning the race? Hold a candlelight vigil or something? Perform a séance and ask the spirits of F1 past for forgiveness? This is why I cannot be a reporter/interviewer. :lol:

I think I remember seeing Max celebrate after winning Spain 2016 after the Mercs crashed.
And Germany 2019 after Leclerc and Bottas crashed.

Oh and I don't remember the Mercs celebrating at all after Japan 2014 when they knew that the Bianchi situation was bad.

Inventing morality out of nothing for a few clicks and to turn their fans into a cult rather than anything else is what these comments incite.

Last edited:
I don't understand this take from him and Christian — it's profoundly childish, idiotic, and petty. Did I mention childish already? Because it's childish, too.

What were Lewis and Mercedes supposed to do after winning the race? Hold a candlelight vigil or something? Perform a séance and ask the spirits of F1 past for forgiveness? This is why I cannot be a reporter/interviewer. :lol:
I'm surprised that Max didn't show up to the paddock in Hungary with a Band-Aid on his forehead

Not that I agree but Max seems more annoyed that he celebrated so wildly after winning by crashing with his rival where he was judged at fault, rather than the RB "HE WAS IN HOSPITAL!!!!!!!" angle.

Not that I agree but Max seems more annoyed that he celebrated so wildly after winning by crashing with his rival where he was judged at fault, rather than the RB "HE WAS IN HOSPITAL!!!!!!!" angle.
On some level I can appreciate what he's getting at. But in the quotes I've seen so far, he doesn't seem to accept any responsibility for the incident which means we're going to see a lot more of this. And it will probably end up costing him a championship.

Well Max seems to be proud of that he has no penalty points and therefore he's clean...not really acknowledging that the only reason for that is because in all the previous instances where he could have gotten a penalty, the other driver backed off to avoid an incident....

I've seen some fantastic points raised on Reddit (I know, I'm shocked as well) that were more than likely echoed here: this isn't about the crash for Max. It's about his ego being bruised and him not knowing how to deal with it. For the first time someone dared to call him on his "my way or the highway" driving aggression and it cost him dearly. Thankfully, it didn't cost him more than the race.

With Horner and Marko likely gassing his head up even more than they already have, Max probably feels he's entitled to a championship win already and the respect that comes with it. How many times does he bitch and moan about someone being in his way during FP sessions?

Though, the spin doctors they are, they'll (Horner and Marko, though chiefly Horner) will let it be known that Lewis had it out for him and aimed an RPG at his cockpit after the fact.

Well Max seems to be proud of that he has no penalty points and therefore he's clean...not really acknowledging that the only reason for that is because in all the previous instances where he could have gotten a penalty, the other driver backed off to avoid an incident....
I don't think that's an area Max wants to start bragging in. Going by this wiki page, Max is tied for the most Expired Points since they were introduced in 2014 at 21, in order of 8 ('15), 1 ('16), 3 ('17), 7 ('18), 2 ('19). Max is listed twice in the highest accrued in a season.

Just saw on F1 website that the Red Bull case was dismissed by the FIA because there were no real new evidence

You know, this would never happen for a number of reasons but when the pettiness strikes, I wish it struck full-on. For example, this official statement? Mercedes simply could have written "LOL" and been done with it.

Like, why not go full-on childish antics, you know? You're already straddling that line anyway, so to hell with it. :lol:

F1's stewards are compelled to hear new and significant evidence for any incident or previous judgment.

Red Bull's appeal consisted of GPS data for both cars (which wasn't new), GPS data for both cars when Hamilton overtook Leclerc (which wasn't new), a "simulation" of the incident (which wasn't new, and which wasn't evidence), and a re-enactment of Hamilton's line in that corner performed by Alex Albon the following day in a Red Bull car during a photography session (which wasn't new, or evidence, and might qualify as "in-season testing").

This is a bewildering tantrum, even by Marko and Horner standards.

Still, the Drive to Survive episode, with Horner looking miserable throughout, should be terrific viewing.

Edit: "Karen Horner" trending on Twitter :lol:

Last edited:
F1's stewards are compelled to hear new and significant evidence for any incident or previous judgment.

Red Bull's appeal consisted of GPS data for both cars (which wasn't new), GPS data for both cars when Hamilton overtook Leclerc (which wasn't new), a "simulation" of the incident (which wasn't new, and which wasn't evidence), and a re-enactment of Hamilton's line in that corner performed by Alex Albon the following day in a Red Bull car during a photography session (which wasn't new, or evidence, and might qualify as "in-season testing").

This is a bewildering tantrum, even by Marko and Horner standards.

Still, the Drive to Survive episode, with Horner looking miserable throughout, should be terrific viewing.

Edit: "Karen Horner" trending on Twitter :lol:
Ah right, I completely forgot about Drive to Survive......the episode covering this whole incident should be really entertaining with Horner and his childish antics!!!! 🤣

Ah right, I completely forgot about Drive to Survive......the episode covering this whole incident should be really entertaining with Horner and his childish antics!!!! 🤣
They had an entire episode dedicated to him snidely going round the other team bosses griping about DAS to see how they'd react before Red Bull appealed it. The previous season had the Ricciardo to Renault saga over several episodes, with Horner looking like Abiteboul had stolen his lollipop.

Watching that man squirm in discomfort is almost delicious. The 2021 British Grand Prix episode should be just a joy to behold.

Back