Formula 1 Pirelli Gran Premio de España 2022Formula 1 

• Thread starter Jimlaad43
  • 339 comments

Jimlaad43

GeoGuessr God
Premium
United Kingdom
United Kingdom
Formula 1 begins its European section proper with a trip to Barcelona, the location of the first Pre-Season test shakedown in which we saw the new-for-2022 regulation cars in anger. A track that has traditionally never had great racing despite long straights, will the new regulations which seem to have made following cars through high-speed corners make Turns 4, 5 and 10 more viable overtaking spots? Max Verstappen is closing the gap to Charles Leclerc at the top of the championship, with his impressive run of winning every race he finishes, Leclerc has to turn it around or hope for more Red Bull reliability. It's the home race for Carlos Sainz, who needs an error-free weekend to show the team that he can challenge for the title this year, is a home win on the cards for him? Who knows, so we'll have to find out at the SPANISH GRAND PRIX!
image (4).png

First Grand Prix

Number of Laps

Circuit Length
4.675km

Race Distance
308.424 km

Lap Record
1:18.149
Max Verstappen (2021)​

It'll be interesting to see how the upgrades being introduced this weekend shake up the pecking order for the season, if at all. Red Bull and Ferrari are expected to bring substantial changes, and Aston Martin will be introducing their B-Spec AMR22, which will be piloted only by Stroll.

Mercedes has also stated that they're not opposed to getting rid of the zero-sidepod design, depending on how things go in Spain. I'm hoping that they can pick up some pace, and maybe sort their porposing issue.

One thing which teams have discovered, but Merc has not been able to take advantage of with the side pod design, is the ability to add multiple stays at the back of the car.

Currently, the rules state that only one pair of non-aerodynamic stays which run from the bodywork to the top of the floor may be added, in the interests of aerodynamic fairness, however there's no ruling as to how many can be mounted away from any aero interference. Both Red Bull and Ferrari run at least one extra pair inside the fairing, and some teams run multiple stays to prevent the flexing.

ferrari-f1-75-internal-floor-s-1.jpg

Last edited:
Seems like another one suited to Redbull. DRS negates any advantage through slow corners. Without it Ferrari might have had a chance.

I’m interested to see how the new cars handle the track. I think this will be the first major test to see if the regs actually allow cars to follow better with the significant increase in reliance on underbody downforce. With the amount of long mid-high speed corners it could give new life to the Spanish GP.

I’m to the point in my fandom where I’m gonna watch regardless of how good I think a race will be, but I can at least dream that I can finish the weekend not bummed. :lol::lol::lol:

I’m interested to see how the new cars handle the track. I think this will be the first major test to see if the regs actually allow cars to follow better with the significant increase in reliance on underbody downforce. With the amount of long mid-high speed corners it could give new life to the Spanish GP.

I’m to the point in my fandom where I’m gonna watch regardless of how good I think a race will be, but I can at least dream that I can finish the weekend not bummed. :lol::lol::lol:
I feel like that has been demonstrated pretty clearly at most tracks this year. Especially the permanent ones.

Most of the time, the most boring race with Monaco.
A great testcase for the new rules and see if they can make a difference for overtaking. And if so, where to overtake, besides the end of the start/finish straight?
The straight in the middle is too short, most of times. Perhaps the downforce changes might change the right hander before the DRS point interesting too see if following on high speed is also an option here.

rsh
Most of the time, the most boring race with Monaco.
A great testcase for the new rules and see if they can make a difference for overtaking. And if so, where to overtake, besides the end of the start/finish straight?
The straight in the middle is too short, most of times. Perhaps the downforce changes might change the right hander before the DRS point interesting too see if following on high speed is also an option here.
Without making the cars vastly smaller the Monaco GP will always be terrible for racing.

Well the Gen 7 NASCAR has spiced up the racing at the "boring" mile and a half tracks, so new F1 cars could spice up the racing at this circuit because it's supposedly addressed the aero wash issue too...

Oof...going to be a tough one to make entertaining, but as you guys say - if there's a place to showcase a change in the racing, it's here. It's one of the few tracks I almost hate because of how atrocious the races here are. Hurrah.

It's annoying that it doesn't work, because it's a fantastic circuit. Unfortunately, the drivers and teams know it too well. They know within a thousandth of an inch how to set the car up, when to pit, what the tyres are gonna do, and it takes the buzz out and makes it feel like another test session.

The track is fantastic, but not for F1 unfortunately. I doubt the new cars change this much, but you never know.

It’s supposed to be sunny and hot there all weekend but they are using the hardest compounds.

Last edited:

Been a few pictures on the subreddit showing Merc. has switched up their floor plan.
0z29maa2oe091.webp

s39d8rmape091.webp

Mr Stroll and his pink Merc Green Bull....
I caught a comment on Reddit that reminded me of yours that I chuckled at.

"Aston Martin Red Green Bull Racing is back"

Last edited:
So Aston Martin have proved that they didn't copy with evidence of this model running in wind tunnel in November.

I always feel sorry for drivers that find themselves in Latifi's position. The incumbent driver has to prove they're a safe pair of hands whilst the potential new driver is going balls-out to prove how fast they are.

I always feel sorry for drivers that find themselves in Latifi's position. The incumbent driver has to prove they're a safe pair of hands whilst the potential new driver is going balls-out to prove how fast they are.
The only reason Latifi is in any position at all is because he bought his seat. There's nothing to feel sorry for him about, if he didn't want to deal with this he shouldn't have forced his way into the sport.

Back