Formula 1 Rolex Belgian Grand Prix 2021Formula 1 

• Thread starter Jimlaad43
  • 464 comments
Nah. He was an imbecile yesterday... either end the race this way, or they should have tried again tomorrow.
Can't try again tomorrow. No guarantee that circuit staff can just magically be there.

If we don't restart, Williams will have scored 10 points for 2 races on the bounce.

Can't try again tomorrow. No guarantee that circuit staff can just magically be there.
Doesn't Spa operate under fairly strict noise ordinances as well? It could very well be a situation where even if they wanted to they legally couldn't.

Most of the people you see working any sporting event have other full-time jobs and just do the event as a side gig. I guarantee a lot of them have to work their real jobs tomorrow.
The FIA should always have contingencies. The lack of planning should never crop up. Postponing a race 1 day should always be considered, always.

My comment is not pointing at the volunteers, more on the FIA.

I'm not an ex-professional racing driver so I'm sure my opinion holds no water whatsoever, but if drivers are complaining about aquaplaning at SC speeds, surely a faster SC is just going to exasperate that particular issue? Frozen brakes/tyres/engine notwithstanding.

The FIA should always have contingencies. The lack of planning should never crop up. Postponing a race 1 day should always be considered, always.

Do you know how much money it would cost to enable the possibility of a 1 day delay? That won't be worth it for something that pretty much never happens

According to Google maps Zandvoort is only 3.5 hours from Spa, so logistically there shouldn't be too much of a problem.
The tear down and set up is the issue, not how far away the next venue is. With enough forewarning and lead time, the teams could have sent separate units to the Netherlands but it's too late now, they're trucking the same gear there.

The FIA can't just magic volunteer marshals out of thin air, and without marshals we can't go racing. You can't ask mashals to take a day off work on Monday "just in case" the race has to be postponed a day.

Spa also does have only X days where they are allowed to have races run on the track. In the end there are 1000 reasons why they couldn't run on Monday that are not the teams. The teams are the smallest problem. They could even just axed the Thursday media day or again don't run on Friday. But there are more points outside of the F1 who will prevent running tomorrow.

Last edited:
I get that, but what is the benefit in forcing a classification? Are there financial reasons behind it with sponsors etc? Do they not have to refund the fans now?

No one enjoyed watching them roll behind the SC for a few laps. It wasn't a race.
Probably all of the above.

Back