Formula 1 Rolex Großer Preis Von Österreich 2020Formula 1 

• Thread starter Jimlaad43
  • 532 comments
Why did Albon win driver of the day?....He barely did anything special or anything at all for that matter! I really thought either Norris or Leclerc would have gotten that!

Side note, so the Merc fixed their overheating issue but now they have sensor problems caused by what seems like driving on the curbs, If they don't find a fix for this, surely this will be a lingering reliability problem. After all, what race track do they race on that doesn't have those red and white curbs?

That's such a weird one.

Hamilton entered the corner defensively, but despite steering as much as possible to the right (F1 steering racks are not particularly good at tight arcs; the teams fit a different rack for Monaco where a much tighter arc is needed) and not being on the throttle, thus taking the maximum angle through the corner, and leaving a car's width to the kerb on the outside (the only time it's less than this is during the collision, when Hamilton's front-left under-rotates due to the friction with Albon's front-right, sucking the car to the left), the cars have become entangled.

Given that the front of Albon's rear tyre hit the rear of Hamilton's front tyre, I'm not sure what Hamilton slowing down would have done except make the collision happen sooner. Albon certainly had the width of a tyre of space to his left he could have been in, though it would have put him on the rumbles.

It surely has to be a racing incident. Hamilton could neither turn more nor slow more, and Albon could have done more to avoid it but had the position and can't have known Hamilton's car would have been on that path because it was at its turn limit.

Still, after yesterday's silly conspiracies about Hamilton not getting a penalty in qualifying because he's the favoured golden child of F1/Mercedes/BLM, he now has one he most certainly deserves and one he probably doesn't.

Oh, and drivers not taking the knee were doing so because although they might believe that racism is bad on an individual basis, the knee has become a symbol of the Black Lives Matter organisation (which is a pack of bastards) rather than of the black lives matter movement/slogan. They support the message (hence the t-shirts) but not the group.

the knee has become a symbol of the Black Lives Matter organisation (which is a pack of bastards) rather than of the black lives matter movement/slogan. They support the message (hence the t-shirts) but not the group.
I honestly didn't know this. Do you mind sending me some info in a PM or one of the relevant topics? I don't want to de-rail this one.

Just watching the race highlights now...

Interesting to see that the grandstand usually occupied by Verstappen's fans has been turned into a giant advert for drinking Heineken, as opposed to its usual function as a giant advert for not drinking Heineken...

Just watching the race highlights now...

Interesting to see that the grandstand usually occupied by Verstappen's fans has been turned into a giant advert for drinking Heineken, as opposed to its usual function as a giant advert for not drinking Heineken...
Well, we did have the standard "don't drink and drive" signs also so let's hope people weren't rattled by the Dutch advert.

Why did Albon win driver of the day?....He barely did anything special or anything at all for that matter! I really thought either Norris or Leclerc would have gotten that!

Why would Lando be driver of the day? Sainz was the better Mclaren driver today in my opinion. Leclerc was driver of the day miles ahead of anyone for me personally. And it's a good thing Vettel is retiring, you can just see from his lackluster performance that he doesn't care anymore.

Oh, and drivers not taking the knee were doing so because although they might believe that racism is bad on an individual basis, the knee has become a symbol of the Black Lives Matter organisation (which is a pack of bastards) rather than of the black lives matter movement/slogan. They support the message (hence the t-shirts) but not the group.
I just have to correct/inform you here. I know you're not calling them "the black lives matter organisation", but there is an organisation called "Black lives matter organisation ", not to be confused with the scum all the media are backing. The "black lives matter organisation" was started before the media darlings BLM by a guy who raised money and actually pumps that back onto local black communities. Recently BLM scum got GoFundMe to close the guys donation page.

I just have to correct/inform you here. I know you're not calling them "the black lives matter organisation", but there is an organisation called "Black lives matter organisation ", not to be confused with the scum all the media are backing. The "black lives matter organisation" was started before the media darlings BLM by a guy who raised money and actually pumps that back onto local black communities. Recently BLM scum got GoFundMe to close the guys donation page.
And the point is that the movement and idea - that black lives matter (too) - is now inextricably linked with an at-best divisive group of the same name. Several large organisations which are supporting the movement have had to go on record in recent weeks to say they support the BLM movement and not the organisation (largely due to some slightly problematic statements from BLM).

People who were happy to take the knee a couple of weeks ago are now wary of openly showing support for BLM even though they are firmly against racism. We're seeing old racism campaign slogans - like Kick It Out in football - returning to replace BLM because the association with the organisation is becoming toxic.

My earlier call for a Dq for Lewis was made emotively and was rash as it was posted as soon as I'd seen it.

Gutting for Albon and rbr but a naive move going on the outside when there was time for another attempt.

Lewis played it perfectly, just enough of a push.

He'll win the championship again as I can't see rbr, Ferrari or Bottas threatening him at all this season.

Last edited:
A few things from today's race:

The black Mercedes livery looks fantastic.

Hamilton was off throttle and turning as hard as he could; you can hear and see that from his onboard. Not much more he could've done. Albon's onboard would've been useful to see.

It somehow passed me by that Ocon finished 8th; a good result, even if gained from attrition.

On a lighter note, here's Norris dominating his champagne bottle.

I feel like Ante Up by M.O.P. would fit perfectly with this clip.

Your video isn't playing for me, but if it's of Norris jumping off the podium and hitting the base of the bottle on the floor, then enjoy this from last year's Gold Coast 600 Supercars podium:

The DOTD vote is closed some laps before the end of the race so that the result can be shown on the slow down lap. To that point Norris had driven around in or near 4th and his highlight had been a battle with his teammate; similairly Leclerc had kept more or less in touch but hadn't done anything spectacular.

Come on, don't jinx him! :sly:.... Remember He started just as strong last year in Australia and by the mid point of the season he was already #2 :lol:
He's going to do it eventually. Taking a page out of Rosbergs's book but without the shenanigans.

And the point is that the movement and idea - that black lives matter (too) - is now inextricably linked with an at-best divisive group of the same name. Several large organisations which are supporting the movement have had to go on record in recent weeks to say they support the BLM movement and not the organisation (largely due to some slightly problematic statements from BLM).

People who were happy to take the knee a couple of weeks ago are now wary of openly showing support for BLM even though they are firmly against racism. We're seeing old racism campaign slogans - like Kick It Out in football - returning to replace BLM because the association with the organisation is becoming toxic.

I just wish more people could see this angle.

Great race. Took a while to get going but was well worth it. So happy for Lando to get that podium, thay ought to shut up the twitch haters.

My hot take on the Albon Hamilton incident. If we look at the letter of the rulebook then it surely must be a penalty as Albon had, in the eyes of the rules, passed Hamilton. Was it correct in the spirit of racing? Well everyone has an opinion, Hamilton didn't seem to oppose it too hard afterwards, that speaks volumes. But probably should have gone down as a racing incident from a perspective of continuity with the rules and penalties.

Was a reason given as to why Racing Point didn't get anything for the unsafe pit release of Perez earlier in the race?

https://www.racefans.net/2020/07/05/vettel-happy-i-only-spun-once-in-tough-race/

...eh, Vettel saying he's happy he only spun once sounds like he's willingly accepted his negative reputation of being prone to spinning.

I feel kinda bad for him. His former achievements are overshadowed by him spinning a lot in the past few years, in the eyes of many people.
Sounds to me he was saying 'this car is a pig, a ****box'. Looking at it, it must not have been a pleasure regardless of his previous spins.

Anyway Lando seems to be fast when he doesn't disconnect just before the start. This last lap was crazy.

Was a reason given as to why Racing Point didn't get anything for the unsafe pit release of Perez earlier in the race?

Guessing it wasn't deemed unsafe..no one had to swerve or slam the brakes on, plenty of space between them.

Fairly exciting race! So many retirements!

Strong performance by Bottas. I want to be optimistic for him to bring the fight to Lewis this year, and I hope that he can, but the past few seasons... yeah.

Gutted for Ricciardo and Albon. Irritated with Hamilton and Vettel. Surprised by Leclerc. Super stoked for Norris. Podium, baby!

Still - releasing him like that was crazy with those AT engineers right in front. Could get really bad.

He's going to do it eventually. Taking a page out of Rosbergs's book but without the shenanigans.

I don't say that he can't and I hope he's really brought his A-game and stay on top of it the whole season to actually be able to win the championship this time around. He's had the opportunity to try and go at Lewis for 4 seasons now, if he fails to do it again, the joke is completely on him. In my opinion, Hamilton is an extremely consistent driver, otherwise he would not have been able to achieve all that he's done. I never liked Rosberg and was never a fan but I give him credit because he managed to match and keep that same level of consistency to stay in the fight against Hamilton. Which brings us back to Bottas, from looking at his past races, he hasn't shown that level of consistency, He tends to excel and really shine at tracks that he supposedly likes and then he's just slightly above average everywhere else or he starts off strong and just fades. If Bottas doesn't win the next 2 to 3 races and Lewis does, I really think it's over for him...In any case, let's see how things go, after all it's just the first race.

Unsafe release seems to be rarely enforced. I hope it's not one of those things that only gets enforced when it's too late.

Honestly it annoys me when Vettel complains like that. There really are no excuses for him any more. The Ferrari this year may have many problems but Leclerc extracts much more performance out of the same machine and doesn’t have four world championships under his belt. I’m serious when I say Vettel should really just accept retirement at this point. He did good in the early half of last decade, but he’s far past his prime. It used to be funny to poke fun at his spins but after today it’s just gut-wrenching watching it happen over and over again.

Last edited:
One of the most pathetic decisions from the FIA.

You mean like not giving hamilton a penalty in Q3 for ignoring yellows, he also saw bottas go off, this should've also told him to slow down.
As for the FIA not having the cockpit footage on hand, really?

Unsafe release seems to be rarely enforced. I hope it's not one of those things that only gets enforced when it's too late.

Its rarely enforced as they dont happen all that often and just like track limits are a mixed bag in terms of when they're enforced

It looks like Lewis left enough room to me:
EcLCGy6XgAgoyFB

BEST SEASON OPENER EVER.

1999, 2002 and 2008 (6 classified finishers) were also standouts from the past 25 years.

The stewarding with Hamilton incidents has been so odd and bad

In qualifying Hamilton actually exceeded track limits on his first run, despite the track having automated track limits, and or plenty of time to review replays this wasn't acknowledged till late the night before the race
Obviously the decision had no affect as his second time was quicker

The yellow flags decision should have been immediately investigated, as surely suspicions should arise when a car goes past and incident and goes faster
Then the investigation was a farce, where in a tweet the night before the race F1 showed the 360 cam footage in the tweet that said Hamilton was clear of wrong doing

Also the reason was to do with a yellow panel being at T5 then a green atT6 which apparently means you ignore the first yellow you see or what so ridiculous

Then the morning of the race apparently the stewards didnts see the footage that the Twitter account posted, and red bull had to give to them
Then was agreed he didn't lift which we all knew

The race incident

100% a racing incident if anything leaning towards Albon being a bit naughty
Hamilton on old harder colder tyres holding and maintaining a tight defensive line with plenty of room for Albon

Albon pinching close to Hamilton and having contact while being nowhere near the outside kerb (implying more room for him)

I don't blame Albon though because the moment he got ahead of Hamilton under braking he can't see hamilton so it's difficult for him to judge

But I feel when he watches it back he will be kicking himself

How they think that is Hamilton's fault is beyond me tbh I don't get it

Then at the end of the race there was a double yellow and Lewis made up 2seconds on bottas or something similar and I don't think it's been mentioned or maybe by tomorrow redbull might have clocked it and sent a Karen up to the stewards and FIA again lol

Back