Formula 1 Rolex Magyar Nagydíj 2021

• Thread starter Jimlaad43
  • 555 comments
The thing is, pretty much every team has had a dial on the steering wheel which the drivers can indicate their actual feeling of the tyres to the team, so much so that they don't need to ever mention it on the radio. Often they'll shout "tyres are dead" on the radio and switch the dial to "all good" and the opposite of what they say.

The thing is, pretty much every team has had a dial on the steering wheel which the drivers can indicate their actual feeling of the tyres to the team, so much so that they don't need to ever mention it on the radio. Often they'll shout "tyres are dead" on the radio and switch the dial to "all good" and the opposite of what they say.

Yeah, I seldom trust the radio broadcasts. Them being public renders them pointless, in a way.

Every driver does moan but on a genuine note, does any other driver fake complain about their tyres as regularly as Lewis Hamilton? Hamilton's done it for years, very successfully, and nobody else seemingly does it.

I know you need to have inherently good tyre management skills for the ploy to work in the first place but I'm surprised that nobody else has at least tried it as often.
I imagine he's just the one we hear the most.

It seems unlikely that the 20 drivers aren't in near-constant communication with their team as they drive (probably not so much on the brakes and into an apex, but out of the corner and on the straights) about every minor detail. I doubt they'll ignore Ricciardo all race then tell him his front brake temps are up halfway through lap 37 - it'll be an almost non-stop flow of info.

So really the question is why Hamilton's tyrewhines make the public broadcast so often, rather than why he does it so much.

...and the answer is almost surely painting a narrative. There are many other examples, such as almost all of Tsunoda's broadcast messages are him being angry/irate sounding. Something tells me he isn't like that all the time, but that is the picture FOM want to paint.

They don't go as far as Netflix do, playing team radio from completely different moments to the images, but they do their best with what they have

Last edited:
Let's just say Lewis's complaints about tires are lies when is it truth?

How would Lewis tell the pit wall that his tires are bad without using codes.
After a while other teams will just ignore the "Bono my tireds are gone" messages as they know they're fake.

Last edited:

After a while other teams will just ignore the "Bono my tireds are gone" messages as they know they're fake.
As @Jimlaad43 alluded to above, Lewis has dials and settings on his steering wheel which he and the team use both to manage the race and communicate the state of the balance, tyres etc.

When you think about it, wouldn't it be a bit silly for the race engineers to sit in front of a whole bank of monitors full of data with multiple channels of communication, if they then needed Lewis to describe everything that's happening in the car perfectly whilst trying to win the race?

It's a lot of gamesmanship and as I say, a mental management technique from LH as well as a diversion for the enemy.

It's not like it would be hard to plan out some simple codewords or phrases either.

Even just flipping words around:

"My tyres are gone, Bono" versus "Bono, my tyres are gone". One is the mindgame the other is telling them the tyres are really going off.

They're racing spaceship level cars at 200 MPH, I think figuring comms out is the least of their worries.

As @Jimlaad43 alluded to above, Lewis has dials and settings on his steering wheel which he and the team use both to manage the race and communicate the state of the balance, tyres etc.

When you think about it, wouldn't it be a bit silly for the race engineers to sit in front of a whole bank of monitors full of data with multiple channels of communication, if they then needed Lewis to describe everything that's happening in the car perfectly whilst trying to win the race?

It's a lot of gamesmanship and as I say, a mental management technique from LH as well as a diversion for the enemy.
"Oh what a tangled web we weave when first we practice to deceive."

If it is established that F1 drivers are professional liars...

"Oh what a tangled web we weave when first we practice to deceive."

If it is established that F1 drivers are professional liars...
Deception, smoke and mirrors are not only a part of the fabric of F1, but they've always been part of what made it entertaining. I'll certainly never forget the smug triumph of the Brawn double diffuser, or countless other examples.

Looking down on Lewis for gaming the radio is like looking down on Gregg Popovich for using intentional fouls to win games. In most sports, those who seek to play the most elegant game lose to those who exploit every advantage.

How F1 fans still manage to foam in anger as Lewis goes purple after a 3 lap old message about the rears being a touch hot is honestly beyond me. It's clear his sense for the tyre is sharply honed, probably the best on the grid by a good margin given the continuity of performance he has had relative to the field. Of course he will go fast on the laps just after he has figured out exactly how much performance he has under him. "Tyre is dying/hot" does not equal "tyre is slow".

Last edited:

At what point are you complaining too much?
This narrative is just an excuse to get triggered whenever he comes on the radio.

Aston Martin have lodged their right to appeal and claim to have new evidence. Although short of producing the 1L of fuel, I'm not sure what it might be.

Since the team's data indicated that there was more than 1.0 litre of fuel in the car after the race – 1.74 litres according to the data – the team immediately reserved its right to appeal, and has requested a right of review alongside the appeal procedure, as a result of having discovered significant new evidence relevant to the sanction which was unavailable to it at the time of the FIA stewards' decision.

Interestingly, they argued that a fuel system seal failure caused excess fuel to be pumped out, and the FIA have said it's irrelevant as it's still their responsibility to ensure there's a litre left.

Which is interesting, as that technically means they should disqualify Grosjean after his Bahrain 2020 crash, as all the fuel burned off in one go so there wasn't a litre left and that's Haas's fault...

Surprise surprise
Wonder of AM will now go to court which they're allowed to do so.

Where did the "Excess" fuel get pumped out to?

I would assume F1 cars have a similar way to report fuel tank pressures similar to a normal road car.
As this is one way for a team to know about a possible leak.
The FIA would've known about a seal failure straight away as would the team have known

Back