Formula 1 Rolex Turkish Grand Prix 2021Formula 1 

• Thread starter Jimlaad43
  • 217 comments
epic Haas admin

1633783695616.png

Is Hamilton awarded with the Pole Position stats wise or does it go towards Bottas due to LH's 10 place grid penalty?

Last edited:
Is Hamilton awarded with the Pole Position stats wise or does it go towards Bottas due to LH's 10 place grid penalty?
I've always understood that pole position and first place on the grid aren't necessarily the same thing - pole is the fastest guy in qualifying, but first place starter is the guy who is ahead of everyone when the lights go out.

That means that in situations like today, where the fastest qualifier has a grid penalty, or when they have a failure going to the grid and can't start, they still get awarded a pole position but aren't the car starting in first.

So it should be Hamilton... but it's a while since I dug into the regs and it might not be.

I've always understood that pole position and first place on the grid aren't necessarily the same thing - pole is the fastest guy in qualifying, but first place starter is the guy who is ahead of everyone when the lights go out.

That means that in situations like today, where the fastest qualifier has a grid penalty, or when they have a failure going to the grid and can't start, they still get awarded a pole position but aren't the car starting in first.

So it should be Hamilton... but it's a while since I dug into the regs and it might not be.
Thank you so much.

They were going on about that on commentary (I admit I zoned out a bit, I can only take so much Crofty waffling), but "Pole" in this context could be interpreted as the driver that qualifies fastest, while "Pole-sitter" is who actually lines up first on the grid for the race.

E: Famine beat me to it.

Last edited:

Nope, Schumacher still doesn't got the pole he achieved in Monaco 2012 but had a grid penalty

It kind of annoys me how teams can take a grid penalty, use qualy as a practice session and still bump cars out q1 while also impeding other drivers laps.

Last edited:
Pole position goes to whoever starts at the front, regardless of whether they were fastest or not.

Pole Position has always been determined once qualifying results are 100% final, which means after any penalties are applied for any reason. Before those penalties are applied qualifying results are only provisional.

Anything that happens after the results are declared final doesn't have an effect, which is why Charles Leclerc has a pole position in Monaco this year despite not starting. He was 1st after final qualifying classification.

Last edited:
Verstappen will be in the lead by turn one. Bottas always has the worst starts.
I think both Hamilton and Bottles haven't had the best starts, though Bottas is basically guaranteed to lose against Verstappen.

If Hamilton passes Verstappen then he's won cause Bottas will part like the Red Sea, probably before as we all know he isn't holding Verstappen up for long if they don't end up in the barriers.

I think both Hamilton and Bottles haven't had the best starts, though Bottas is basically guaranteed to lose against Verstappen.
It just depends if he has one of his unbeatable races, they sadly only come once in a blue moon but if it does he will just run away from VER, he seems to have the raw pace in the car.

Does Hamilton have to start on q2 tires with his penalty?

If so then his mediums might get swallowed up if the midfield around him start on softs. Could be trouble.

Tsunoda in front and him and Vettel behind. He should be glad its not the other way around lol

Does Hamilton have to start on q2 tires with his penalty?

If so then his mediums might get swallowed up if the midfield around him start on softs. Could be trouble.

Tsunoda in front and him and Vettel behind. He should be glad its not the other way around lol
He does, but the Medium should be a better race tyre than the softs, that's why everyone was trying to run on it in Q2. The surface is a lot grippier than Pirelli were expected, so more wear and overheating likely on the softs.

He might get mugged off the line but after that should breeze past any midfielders whose tyres quickly go off.

EDIT: Only TSU and MSC will be starting on softs from the top 14 so from 11th I think he'll be fine.

Last edited:
He does, but the Medium should be a better race tyre than the softs, that's why everyone was trying to run on it in Q2. The surface is a lot grippier than Pirelli were expected, so more wear and overheating likely on the softs.

He might get mugged off the line but after that should breeze past any midfielders whose tyres quickly go off.

EDIT: Only TSU and MSC will be starting on softs from the top 14 so from 11th I think he'll be fine.
Unless he messes up the start really badly he just needs to keep it clean through 1 and 2.

Only the 10 pilots reaching Q3 have to use the tyre they achieved their fastest lap on in Q2. So Lewis with the Q2 used medium from P11, Vettel with free choice from P10 (since not in Q3), Tsunoda with the Q2 used soft and MSC with free choice of tyres.

Only the 10 pilots reaching Q3 have to use the tyre they achieved their fastest lap on in Q2. So Lewis with the Q2 used medium from P11, Vettel with free choice from P10 (since not in Q3), Tsunoda with the Q2 used soft and MSC with free choice of tyres.
Right, brain fart moment there. So it's probable that TSU ends up being the only driver starting on softs, can't see anyone else behind him making that choice. Mediums > Hards or vice versa seems to be the preferred strat. Anyone going with softs may need to two stop.

Must be a Red Bull thing.

9505B6DF-9543-4B8A-9C8B-515EFCFC095F.jpeg

283F659E-B7F4-4358-8013-ED5D6289505D.jpeg

CE83A144-BB5E-41CC-935D-A12DDEEFA156.jpeg

E499F8A9-F6B7-4483-8B60-79DC689D6F30.jpeg

I’ve seen different Shell liveries over various categories. Red Bull seem to be standard for every sponsored car.

Back