Formula 1 Scraps The Use Of Grid Girls For The 2018 SeasonFormula 1 

• Thread starter Robin
  • 278 comments
Will the children be an equal 50/50 of males and females? Semi-joking, semi-serious question.

I wonder if there'll be another outrage if one sex noticeable outnumbers the other sex?

Weeks later, nobody has been able to explain what the purpose of "grid girls" were in the first place. Extraneous things essentially have no place in motorsports. Please tell me an example when not having a sign-bearer hold a plank with a numeral on it caused all sorts of grid alignment chaos, throwing the race results into question.

"It's tradition!"
...nobody really cared when Lotus bowed out, when the French lost their Grand Prix, the waving of a national starting flag disappeared, movable aerodynamic devices were legislated out, riding mechanics were lost to he ages, pit stops came and went (and came back and went somewhere else), but this excess has kept going.

"They're jobless!"
No, they have other jobs (as models, scientists, painters, programmers, et al) other than a single weekend a year.

"Where's the glamour"
What is glamour? Is it something seemingly unattainable? Should a woman be unattainable? They're not sacrifices to a local circuit deity. We have ways of knowing which grid location Ballyhoo Fitzsimmons will sit near his car, on standby to be peppered with ridiculous questions by reporters, instead on discussing pit strategies that will soon be forgotten by the driver in the paralyzing pallid haze of other noisy ground-bound attackers not trying to chop your damn head off in the battle for a road corner named for a light beer brand.

All in all...I don't really care, but the subsequent slippery-slope-fallacy blindfolded gang of posers who haven't quite caught on that many women want to be seen as something other than eye candy (maybe even as participants!) is rather astonishing. I mean, people are already worked up about a new logo and a semi-ugly safety device, so why not just have a crying section for these people where they can bitch their meaningless lives away.

Weeks later, nobody has been able to explain what the purpose of "grid girls" were in the first place. Extraneous things essentially have no place in motorsports. Please tell me an example when not having a sign-bearer hold a plank with a numeral on it caused all sorts of grid alignment chaos, throwing the race results into question.

You obviously haven’t been paying attention then. They were there for promotional purposes, simple as that. You say extraneous things have no place, but why is that? It’s always been a glamorous sport that was just as much about the atmosphere of the event as it was about the race itself. The grid girls weren’t anything out of the ordinary. It doesn’t change anything not having them, but people don’t like when politics gets involved with the entertainment they watch to get away from politics.

"It's tradition!"
...nobody really cared when Lotus bowed out, when the French lost their Grand Prix, the waving of a national starting flag disappeared, movable aerodynamic devices were legislated out, riding mechanics were lost to he ages, pit stops came and went (and came back and went somewhere else), but this excess has kept going.

I haven’t seen anyone say that it should be kept because “it’s tradition”. Most of what I’ve seen is about how it’s a dumb decision that was only made for goodness PR and to make a social statement. People have a problem with changes because of what I said above. They don’t like having politics invade sports they watch.

"They're jobless!"
No, they have other jobs (as models, scientists, painters, programmers, et al) other than a single weekend a year.

A lot of them have careers in modeling and this was, in fact, one of their bigger gigs. It’s like a low earning electrician who has the job of maintaining wiring in a cooperate building that gives them a couple of thousand dollars more for their yearly salary suddenly losing that job because the building has been demolished, and the job was difficult to get and there aren’t many of them in the first place. Acting like these women have high paying jobs like scientist and programmer is ridiculous. If you’re a full time model, you rely on big gigs like being an F1 grid girl to make a living and try to make it big.

"Where's the glamour"
What is glamour? Is it something seemingly unattainable? Should a woman be unattainable? They're not sacrifices to a local circuit deity. We have ways of knowing which grid location Ballyhoo Fitzsimmons will sit near his car, on standby to be peppered with ridiculous questions by reporters, instead on discussing pit strategies that will soon be forgotten by the driver in the paralyzing pallid haze of other noisy ground-bound attackers not trying to chop your damn head off in the battle for a road corner named for a light beer brand.

Again, haven’t heard anyone complaining of this being a sign of glamour leaving the sport. And I don’t know what the rest of what you said has to do with the topic at hand. Seems like a lot of pretentious rhetoric for no reason.

All in all...I don't really care, but the subsequent slippery-slope-fallacy blindfolded gang of posers who haven't quite caught on that many women want to be seen as something other than eye candy (maybe even as participants!) is rather astonishing. I mean, people are already worked up about a new logo and a semi-ugly safety device, so why not just have a crying section for these people where they can bitch their meaningless lives away.

No offense, but who are you to speak for “many women”? Who gave you that right? Because if you actually listened to the women who are involved in motorsports and who this decision affects directly, you’d know that they themselves have a problem with the decision and they see it as feminism, once again, hurting women. It’s always interesting to see men defend decisions like this and act like they do it to stand up for women who are oppressed when they don’t even realize that women involved themselves don’t have an issue with the job. It’s almost as if these men who make decision for women as to which jobs they can and cannot do in the name of feminism are the ones oppressing them. Grid girls being seen as eye candy aren’t stopping other women from being participants in motorsports, it’s their interests, and the women who were grid girls were interested in being models. To take that away from them goes completely against the idea of feminism.

Maybe we are (no, obviously we are) reading about two very different groups of outrage from various standpoints, but there's been a very keen divide over...mostly nothingdoodles.

You obviously haven’t been paying attention then.
No, just following the sport for 30+ years.

They were there for promotional purposes, simple as that. You say extraneous things have no place, but why is that? It’s always been a glamorous sport that was just as much about the atmosphere of the event as it was about the race itself. The grid girls weren’t anything out of the ordinary.

Glamour is extra fluff, I guess. I don't see the point of that in sport.

It doesn’t change anything not having them, but people don’t like when politics gets involved with the entertainment they watch to get away from politics.

Politics drives the sport - who gets the races, who gets to sponsor events, who bags the TV deals, which promoter/oligarch gets to host. Decisions get made, and people lose jobs over it all the time. We may not like it (there's an underbelly that makes the big decisions for which we don't have direct control of), but decisions like that are made all the time in all facets of life.

I haven’t seen anyone say that it should be kept because “it’s tradition”. Most of what I’ve seen is about how it’s a dumb decision that was only made for goodness PR and to make a social statement. People have a problem with changes because of what I said above. They don’t like having politics invade sports they watch.

Since nobody in Liberty Media actually said that, it's all opinion.

A lot of them have careers in modeling and this was, in fact, one of their bigger gigs. It’s like a low earning electrician who has the job of maintaining wiring in a cooperate building that gives them a couple of thousand dollars more for their yearly salary suddenly losing that job because the building has been demolished, and the job was difficult to get and there aren’t many of them in the first place. Acting like these women have high paying jobs like scientist and programmer is ridiculous. If you’re a full time model, you rely on big gigs like being an F1 grid girl to make a living and try to make it big.

Somewhere, there's the distant sobbing of typewriter repairmen. Unlike matter, jobs are indeed created and destroyed.

Again, haven’t heard anyone complaining of this being a sign of glamour leaving the sport.
Again, varying source material. See above.

(You also mentioned "glamour" above...}

And I don’t know what the rest of what you said has to do with the topic at hand. Seems like a lot of pretentious rhetoric for no reason.

Then you don't know.

No offense, but who are you to speak for “many women”? Who gave you that right?

Who said anything about a "right". Opinions can be rights, I guess. Try listening directly to a few opinions you don't actually agree with for a change. If you're only going to take to in the opinions that align with yours, you're missing out. Or if you're taking in filtered HEADLINES of other opinions, you're really missing out.

Because if you actually listened to the women who are involved in motorsports and who this decision affects directly, you’d know that they themselves have a problem with the decision and they see it as feminism, once again, hurting women.

Stop, they just stay that to keep their jobs. Lots of women unfortunately have toe the line to keep their jobs.

It’s always interesting to see men defend decisions like this and act like they do it to stand up for women who are oppressed when they don’t even realize that women involved themselves don’t have an issue with the job. It’s almost as if these men who make decision for women as to which jobs they can and cannot do in the name of feminism are the ones oppressing them. Grid girls being seen as eye candy aren’t stopping other women from being participants in motorsports, it’s their interests, and the women who were grid girls were interested in being models. To take that away from them goes completely against the idea of feminism.

Again, nobody said why they were replaced. Of course, mentioning that they're be replaced with "kids" (ostensibly rich families and well-heeled sponsors) means something's afoot. The monetization of every facet within the sport is really what's at play here.

Your extrapolating of my opinions despite my actually-stated opinions won't earn you a place on the podium, but maybe one-seventh of a point for a shared fastest lap will suffice for such a rushed job.

Last edited:
Will the children be an equal 50/50 of males and females? Semi-joking, semi-serious question.

I wonder if there'll be another outrage if one sex noticeable outnumbers the other sex?
Not even sure gender has all that much to do with it. Monaco used blokes (granted only once) and no one really cared/minded, bar Vettel... I think it has more to do with making better use of money and trying to make the sport more appealing/marketable.

Models being around simply for the sake of it is something that has been slowly going away for a while now, look at conventions from the 90s/00s to now, the number of 'booth babes' has dropped by a large margin.

Ah, so now Pupik knows how/why actual grid girls say things...that clears it all up!

The job of a model is obviously self-promotion. You know...50% of social media. Modeling is not an archaic practice, but one where folks one day woke up and said..."what was the point, again?" What was the Value Add to this?

F1 is mired with its own sponsors now, and they're also going to make decisions. Just like they have made driver's seat decisions over the years.

Honestly, if people are so bothered, please leave the sport and move on so the rest of us can argue over how engine penalties are applied and which aerodynamic trim looks ugliest... :)

Last edited:
Back