Formula 1 STC Saudi Arabian Grand Prix 2024 (Saturday race)Formula 1 

• Thread starter Jimlaad43
  • 128 comments

Jimlaad43

GeoGuessr God
Premium
United Kingdom
United Kingdom
Race 2 of the season comes up straight away, as the rescheduled-due-to-Ramadan second Saturday Grand Prix in a row. Max Verstappen took a dominant win in Bahrain as the new RB20 took off in the same way the previous two cars from the team have dominated. Red Bull look peerless at the moment, although the discourse surrounding allegations aimed at team boss Christian Horner seems to be the only thing with any chance of derailing the team at the moment. Will we get a conclusion here, or can we please just let the track action do the talking. Perhaps we will get something a lot more interesting at the SAUDI ARABIA. GRAND PRIX!
Screenshot_20240305-113345.png

First Grand Prix

Number of Laps

Circuit Length
6.174km

Race Distance
308.45 km

Lap Record
1:30.734
Lewis Hamilton (2021)​

Is the Jeddah race staying for many more years or are they still expecting to move the race further inland?

Loose drain covers are delaying FP2. I think this is grounds for MBS to remove the track from the schedule.

Hamilton toodling around the track caused Sargent to run off course to avoid him.

Nothing about this track feels genuine, it's just a money pit for sport washing. I like how they still cover all those failed construction projects with giant ads.

It was difficult to get a read on everyone after the first 2 sessions. Red Bull looks very clearly like they have a lot more pace in hand. Alonso's time looked fast but seems like they might have had the engine turned up if we listen to Verstappen's comment. If that's not the case then the Aston Martin might be mighty fast here. Lewis just seemed really off the ball, Russell looks like he has the upper hand and seems to be a lot more comfortable in the car.

Hamilton toodling around the track caused Sargent to run off course to avoid him.
Not Hamiltons fault, his team clearly haven't warned him and Sargeant was unsighted by an equally dawdling Sainz.

Not Hamiltons fault, his team clearly haven't warned him and Sargeant was unsighted by an equally dawdling Sainz.
Sainz was stuck behind Hamilton as well he just wasn't on a flying lap.

There should be no need for Mercedes to warn Lewis.
As one of the most experienced and successful drivers in F1 he should be more than aware that driving slowly, especially on tracks with limited visibility, is only going to cause potentially dangerous situations.

Alex Albon's appendix caused a ripple effect in 2022, Sainz's is next. Get well soon Carlos and good luck Ollie.

As far as I can tell, Bearman will be the first driver to debut for the works Ferrari team in a world championship F1 race since Arturo Merzario in the 1972 British GP, anyone know of a more recent debutant in a Ferrari?

Roo
As far as I can tell, Bearman will be the first driver to debut for the works Ferrari team in a world championship F1 race since Arturo Merzario in the 1972 British GP, anyone know of a more recent debutant in a Ferrari?
David Croft just confirmed

Who else would they have chosen? He's their elected reserve.
He's the youngest with the least experience, the other two probably aren't there though tbf. I just highly doubt the pre Vasseur Ferrari would throw an 18 year old in the car.

Bearman, however, has already qualified a car on Pole this weekend at Jeddah, so he does have more of a claim to knowing the condition of the Jeddah track than Gio or Shw.

He's the youngest with the least experience, the other two probably aren't there though tbf. I just highly doubt the pre Vasseur Ferrari would throw an 18 year old in the car.
Vasseur like you say has always valued youthful talent. Schwartzman is unlikely to be there like you say, raced in WEC at the weekend, as did Giovanazzi. Still makes me wonder whether either would have got the nod over Bearman even if they were there to be honest. Gio maybe would have but I don't think Shwartzman would.

Edit. Oliver Bearman did a 1:30.277 to open his account. Would have been P9 yesterday in similar conditions. Times were around 1/1.5 seconds quicker in the evening so he could theoretically be sniffing around a 1:29.0 which wouldn't be bad at all.

Last edited:
Back