Formula Ford?

  • Thread starter Thread starter VRracingfan
  • 30 comments
  • 6,463 views
Messages
1,351
United Kingdom
Sheffield
Messages
Dan-F1Fan
I was just watching Formula Ford on 4OD and the racing there is fun and the cars look great to drive and I was wondering if people would want this in a future GT game? It would be more interesting than driving the FGT as it's real and could act as a stepping ground to the F1 perhaps in special events or career.

Thoughts?
 
Thoughts ?


Polyphony Digital will find a way to screw up the licence like they did with WRC, Nascar and Super GT.
 
Thoughts ?


Polyphony Digital will find a way to screw up the licence like they did with WRC, Nascar and Super GT.

How have those licenses not been properly done?
 
Maybe making generic lower formula cars like "Polyphony Formula 1600"
 
That would be pretty cool. Does anybody know what the Formula Fords run these days?
I used to watch a few years back and they used the 1.4 Zetec from a Fiesta with an H pattern box. Is that still the case? Those would be great fun to drive.
 
There are a few things I'de love with GT5.

SIMBIN made a game called Race07, they then only did general bug fixes for free and released many GREAT expansions for SO LITTLE money. In a few days Im buying the STCC 2 game expansion basically BTCC with a few more cars and different tracks.

If GT had this approch, with GT5 being the base (we can all see its AMAZING, just lacks content greatly) Then having a, like you said, Formula Ford expansion and possibnly something else bundled in for like £6 :P. FIA GT1 GT2 and GT3 for £10. D1 tracks and cars for £10, there are many things I would buy if it was like this, so PD could make money and make us all very happy for little money.

After all, £35 for GT5 would of been robbing PD if they made the game they and us wanted it to be.
 
I was just watching Formula Ford on 4OD and the racing there is fun and the cars look great to drive and I was wondering if people would want this in a future GT game? It would be more interesting than driving the FGT as it's real and could act as a stepping ground to the F1 perhaps in special events or career.

  • Formula Ford is one of 276,380 different "formula" series, and one of over half a million racing series in general. Obviously I exaggerate these figures, but the point is that there's heaps upon heaps of heaps of them out there. While people would be willing to accept additional series in GT, any given lower-tiered series isn't really any more deserving of inclusion or more likely to be included than any of the countless others.
  • GT doesn't really need a "stepping ground" to F1. In real life there's stepping stone series because, at least in part, you need to prove yourself in lower series to earn a seat in a higher series, and because there's real-life consequences if you jump in over your head. In the game there's no harm in trying your hand at F1, even without working your way up, since in GT it isn't real.
 
  • Formula Ford is one of 276,380 different "formula" series, and one of over half a million racing series in general. Obviously I exaggerate these figures, but the point is that there's heaps upon heaps of heaps of them out there. While people would be willing to accept additional series in GT, any given lower-tiered series isn't really any more deserving of inclusion or more likely to be included than any of the countless others.
  • GT doesn't really need a "stepping ground" to F1. In real life there's stepping stone series because, at least in part, you need to prove yourself in lower series to earn a seat in a higher series, and because there's real-life consequences if you jump in over your head. In the game there's no harm in trying your hand at F1, even without working your way up, since in GT it isn't real.

But Formula Ford is different. H pad gearboxes, no downforce, small tyres and slight variation between cars. It would be fun to drive for those reasons and I can't think of any series like it especially with the same history.
 
You can already sortof recreate GP2 cars on the F10. It just has a bit too much torque, but other than that you can set similar laptimes with lowest downforce, racing hards/sports soft and ballast/power limiter.
 
The current Formula Fords run 1.6 litre engines with around 150bhp and use 4 speed(!) H-pattern gearboxes. I agree they would be a great addition to GT especially online and around tight tracks!!
 
I'd love to see cars from any of the established racing series added to GT5. Formula Ford would be fun. Or, Formula Renault. Or, F3000.

I'd rather see ALMS added though. The Daytona Prototypes (DP) would be awesome. By the way, the DPs can compete in GT500 races too.
 
Would love Formula Ford but I would love the inclusion of a few of the fifties Formula 3 500cc (500cc motorcycle engines) racers much more.

4750117904_d3d12a3a81.jpg


Cooper500-Green1.jpg


They seem fun to me. :D
 
Would love Formula Ford but I would love the inclusion of a few of the fifties Formula 3 500cc (500cc motorcycle engines) racers much more.

4750117904_d3d12a3a81.jpg


Cooper500-Green1.jpg


They seem fun to me. :D

They look awesome, gets my vote for sure as well as FFord
 
My Dad used to drive these.
Damn that was a long time ago.
 
VRracingfan
That's pretty cool. I didn't know they had Formula Ford in the US

Try used to use them for Skip Barber.
Again that's a long time ago.
Like twenty years or so ago.
About ten years ago they started using Formula Dodge, and now Mazda.
Useless information, I know. :)
 
Would love Formula Ford but I would love the inclusion of a few of the fifties Formula 3 500cc (500cc motorcycle engines) racers much more.

4750117904_d3d12a3a81.jpg


Cooper500-Green1.jpg


They seem fun to me. :D

I second that! Also F2 - basically mini-F1s for most of the series' history, although the modern reincarnation is a bit strange.
 
I think that a stepper car to the f1 cars may be a good idea however I think instead it should be based in formula renault cars.

SGFORMULATEAMSCHAMPIONEUROCUPFR2008.jpg


They are close enough to karts to make one step from them, however are also close enough to faster formula cars (because of the wings) to be a proper stepping stone straight to f1 cars.
 
Formula Ford would be a great addition to the game. It would be like a level between the karts and the FGT. I wouldn't imagine that they'd be much or any of a licencing issue since FF is so wide spread i don't think anyone holds the rights to the name in general. Ford only supply the engines, it's not a series run by Ford, as far as i'm aware, So as long as they're happy for the name to be used the only other licences needed would be from one of the many FF chassis builders. PD could even just model a generic FF type car like they did the FGT and call it something similar to completely avoid any licencing issues.
 
PD could have a range of formula cars in GT. PDI Kart, PDI FF (Formula Ford copy), PDI FR (Formula Renault copy), PDI GP (GP2 Copy), PDI FI (Formula Indy? Indy car copy), FGT and the X2010 is the top rung.
 
Formula Ford would be a great addition to the game,I'd also like to see them add some cars like these Star Mazda cars,my oldest son was involved with them before he was killed in 2002 and they are a bunch of fun to drive!👍

66-b20Mitchell.jpg
 
I remember Codemasters Toca Race Driver 3 had Formula Fords and they were probably the most fun that game had to offer for me.
The thing that made racing them actually quite hard is that you easily got the wheels entangled with the rest of the field because of the design of these cars, see?

spirit3.jpg
 
Try used to use them for Skip Barber.
Again that's a long time ago.
Like twenty years or so ago.
About ten years ago they started using Formula Dodge, and now Mazda.
Useless information, I know. :)

That's pretty cool though actually isn't it? Your dad was in skip barber, next best thing to being involved youself I guess.
 
VRracingfan
That's pretty cool though actually isn't it? Your dad was in skip barber, next best thing to being involved youself I guess.

I'm going to break in my brand new kart engine tomorrow. :)
His knowledge has really helped me. Even when I'm playing GT5, he'll get excited when I make a good pass, and get p**sed when I do something stupid.
Another advantage is that guys like David Murray (drives Ford GTs in the ALMS) and Vic Elford (If you don't know who he is, you need to stop playing a game that has La Sarthe/Le Mans in it) were instructors when he was doing that so I know them personally. :)

Off topic, but thats how FFs helped me to develop without even driving them lol.
 
  • Formula Ford is one of 276,380 different "formula" series, and one of over half a million racing series in general. Obviously I exaggerate these figures, but the point is that there's heaps upon heaps of heaps of them out there. While people would be willing to accept additional series in GT, any given lower-tiered series isn't really any more deserving of inclusion or more likely to be included than any of the countless others.
  • GT doesn't really need a "stepping ground" to F1. In real life there's stepping stone series because, at least in part, you need to prove yourself in lower series to earn a seat in a higher series, and because there's real-life consequences if you jump in over your head. In the game there's no harm in trying your hand at F1, even without working your way up, since in GT it isn't real.

I disagree, FF is a different & fun open wheel racing format. You have to be really careful not to get tangled up & you can't rely on any downforce for grip. The cars slide around beautifully. Analog's comments above are spot on. FF was one of the best series in Toca 3, imo.
 
This game was made in Japan just FYI.

Japan, like most other nations with a healthy motorsports scene, has it's own Formula Ford series too.
 
Wait, TOCA 3? Wasn't that TOCA World Championship (or similar), for the PS?
Or do you mean TOCA Race Driver 3? I can't remember which of the RD series I played, but I definitely missed out on the Formula Fords. :(
EDIT: I see now that analog posted TOCA Race Driver 3 :dunce:

The Star Mazdas are a bit stale for me, in iRacing, at least - I prefer the four-wheel-drift-ier Skip Barber, which is a similar concept to the Ford. I can see how the Mazda would be a better stepping stone to high-downforce series, but I would always err on the side of fun. :D
 
Formula Ford is one of 276,380 different "formula" series, and one of over half a million racing series in general. Obviously I exaggerate these figures, but the point is that there's heaps upon heaps of heaps of them out there. While people would be willing to accept additional series in GT, any given lower-tiered series isn't really any more deserving of inclusion or more likely to be included than any of the countless others.
Im not sure how it is in the US but around the rest of the world most drivers making their way up in the motorsport world go through Formula Ford right after they're done with karts. It's where almost all of the greatest professional racers around today have made their name known. That, along with the fact that it produces exciting racing makes it more than just another series and definitely deserves representation in the Gran Turismo series.
 
Back