Formula One Confirms 23-Race Calendar for 2023 Championship Season

• Thread starter Famine
  • 31 comments

:P

That month gap between Australia and Baku, though. I'm guessing China was originally supposed to be in the middle there.

Three races in East, Central & West of one single UNITED country.

We should've had Istanbul!

Still zilch in whole of neglected continent.

(Bring on Imola/Monaco/Silverstone/Hungaroring for May/June update)

Last edited:
It’s maddening how they double down on sprint races when pretty much no one likes them.

Also feels weird to see Spa before the summer break instead of right after.

Last edited:
This might be an unpopular view but I think more than 20 races in a year is too much. I love F1 but I have other things to do with my weekends, I get that FOMO feeling when I can’t watch them live and have to watch the highlights later.
It's probably more popular than not. It's more taxing on the teams and drivers, as well as the viewers. :lol:

I also feel that the more races they jam in, the more stretched out the season feels and it becomes especially less interesting towards the end when the championship is already wrapped up.

I would say anything between 16-20 regular races is plenty.

This might be an unpopular view but I think more than 20 races in a year is too much. I love F1 but I have other things to do with my weekends, I get that FOMO feeling when I can’t watch them live and have to watch the highlights later.
Too much of anything is not a good thing. It’s especially bad when the championships get decided early, then it really feels like a drag.

Yep, its too many races now. Remember when its was less and you got a good feeling of excitement because it was a race weekend, starting to feel like a chore now. I had to pay for sky just so i can record races. Too time consuming now when you have a family, feels like it’s nearly every weekend a race is on. People do actually have other stuff to do on weekends FOM !

Last edited:
20 races is more than enough for a series with a global scale. It's reaching the same point NASCAR eventually came to, where people are going to start ignoring races that are considered "unimportant" because they simply don't have the time or interest to keep up with all of them.

Hopefully it won't eventually lead to them piling on more gimmicks in an attempt to shore up interest like NASCAR did. We don't need them kicking around the idea of double points races again.

20 races is more than enough for a series with a global scale. It's reaching the same point NASCAR eventually came to, where people are going to start ignoring races that are considered "unimportant" because they simply don't have the time or interest to keep up with all of them.

Hopefully it won't eventually lead to them piling on more gimmicks in an attempt to shore up interest like NASCAR did. We don't need them kicking around the idea of double points races again.
Nah, they'll probably just put in a playoffs/chase system.
smiley_yes.gif

Unfortunately, I think we've been at that point. I've seen more than a fair share of comments pre-race day about people skipping a race for certain reasons & that extends past Monaco. I will say though, these issues are mostly to do with the track they're at than the number of races.

Last edited:
I know there are people much more knowledgeable about F1 than I am, and I bet there have been many ideas as to what the calendar could look like, but here were my general ideas:

-I'd scrap Monaco, if only because I've heard the cars are too long, leading to less engaging races. With this in mind, I'm not sure if other racing types are also good at Monaco, such as Formula E or F3.

-I agree that three races in the USA is a bit nuts, even if the USA is one of the largest nations on Earth. Personally, I'd only have one race, but not at CotA. Why not a more popular American circuit, like the road courses at Daytona or Indy? I know this isn't the first time F1 has raced at Vegas, but it just seems trashy to bring it back there.

-Given that F1 is a global sport, I'd have as many races in as many different parts of the world as possible. I did hear Kyalami is returning, so that's a good sign. I'd also have races in Dubai and Turkey, though Dubai could be replaced with Saudi Arabia. Unfortunately, due to the obvious, I don't see F1 returning to Russia or China. But why not have a course in say, Hong Kong? FE already does it.

-Speaking of more than one race in the same country, I think the only race in Italy should be at Monza.

-I don't care what needs to be done - there needs to be a German GP again, whether it's at Hockenheim or the Nurburgring GP course.

-Overall, here are the nations I'd have races at, in no particular order:

UK - Silverstone (or Brands Hatch?)
Germany - Nurburgring GP or Hockenheim
Austria - Red Bull Ring (I suppose this is good enough to replace the above GP, since both nations are pretty close to another.)
Italy - Monza
Belgium - Spa-Francorchamps
France - Paul Ricard? Or maybe the Le Mans Bugatti circuit?
Portugal - Portimao
Spain - Catalunya (Can replace the above GP. I think one race on the Iberian peninsula is enough, no?)
Canada - Montreal
USA - Indianapolis Road Course or Daytona Road Course
Mexico - Autodromo Hermanos Rodriguiez
Brazil - Interlagos
Turkey - Istanbul
South Africa - Kyalami
UAE - Dubai Autodrome
Saudi Arabia - Jeddah (Can replace the above GP.)
India - Buddh
Japan - Suzuka (Or maybe Fuji for a change?)
Singapore - Street Circuit
Malaysia - Sepang
Australia - Phillip Island

I know money talks the most for these things, but I suppose I can still dream. I know Europe has a lot of F1 heritage, but I dare say that for too long, the circuit lineup has a bit too "Euro-centric." Sometimes, it feels like half the races are in Europe. I especially think having F1 come back to India would be a great idea, since it's my understanding that Indians really like a lot of British sports like cricket and football, so I really don't see why they wouldn't be into F1.

Last edited:
I know there are people much more knowledgeable about F1 than I am, and I bet there have been many ideas as to what the calendar could look like, but here were my general ideas:

-I'd scrap Monaco, if only because I've heard the cars are too long, leading to less engaging races. With this in mind, I'm not sure if other racing types are also good at Monaco, such as Formula E or F3.

-I agree that three races in the USA is a bit nuts, even if the USA is one of the largest nations on Earth. Personally, I'd only have one race, but not at CotA. Why not a more popular American circuit, like the road courses at Daytona or Indy? I know this isn't the first time F1 has raced at Vegas, but it just seems trashy to bring it back there.

-Given that F1 is a global sport, I'd have as many races in as many different parts of the world as possible. I did hear Kyalami is returning, so that's a good sign. I'd also have races in Dubai and Turkey, though Dubai could be replaced with Saudi Arabia. Unfortunately, due to the obvious, I don't see F1 returning to Russia or China. But why not have a course in say, Hong Kong? FE already does it.

-Speaking of more than one race in the same country, I think the only race in Italy should be at Monza.

-I don't care what needs to be done - there needs to be a German GP again, whether it's at Hockenheim or the Nurburgring GP course.

-Overall, here are the nations I'd have races at, in no particular order:

UK - Silverstone (or Brands Hatch?)
Germany - Nurburgring GP or Hockenheim
Austria - Red Bull Ring (I suppose this is good enough to replace the above GP, since both nations are pretty close to another.)
Italy - Monza
Belgium - Spa-Francorchamps
France - Paul Ricard? Or maybe the Le Mans Bugatti circuit?
Portugal - Portimao
Spain - Catalunya (Can replace the above GP. I think one race on the Iberian peninsula is enough, no?)
Canada - Montreal
USA - Indianapolis Road Course or Daytona Road Course
Mexico - Autodromo Hermanos Rodriguiez
Brazil - Interlagos
Turkey - Istanbul
South Africa - Kyalami
UAE - Dubai Autodrome
Saudi Arabia - Jeddah (Can replace the above GP.)
India - Buddh
Japan - Suzuka (Or maybe Fuji for a change?)
Singapore - Street Circuit
Malaysia - Sepang
Australia - Phillip Island

I know money talks the most for these things, but I suppose I can still dream. I know Europe has a lot of F1 heritage, but I dare say that for too long, the circuit lineup has a bit too "Euro-centric." Sometimes, it feels like half the races are in Europe. I especially think having F1 come back to India would be a great idea, since it's my understanding that Indians really like a lot of British sports like cricket and football, so I really don't see why they wouldn't be into F1.
Scrap Monaco? Seriously? Wash your mouth out with soap.

I would be open to scrapping Monaco too, the cars are too big and too fast. The one good thing about watching this race is knowing that the Indy 500 will be on afterwards.

Because money & those circuits are purpose built for F1 with the ability to "validate" outrageous ticket prices to make their money back.

Additionally, I don't think any US circuits meet the required Grade besides Indy. I don't know what Grade Daytona is, but other popular US venues like Lime Rock, Long Beach, Road Atlanta, Sebring & Laguna are all Grade 2, so I imagine Daytona is the same. I have seen Laguna requested by fans, but I believe the cost to bring it up standard would be too much & ruin the circuit. Not to mention how the circuit already has noise issues with neighboring communities.

Not sure why Vegas is seen as trashy?

Not sure why Vegas is seen as trashy?
The guys lining the strip wearing fluorescent t-shirts with phone sex line numbers on them tapping reams of business cards for hookers and trying to pass them out to children do kind of lend that impression.

The guys lining the strip wearing fluorescent t-shirts with phone sex line numbers on them tapping reams of business cards for hookers and trying to pass them out to children do kind of lend that impression.
I only use to see that stuff during the late nights on the strip when most children were already gone for the night. If it's changed, that's unfortunate, but I wouldn't label the city as trashy over that. From my experiences, it certainly becomes a different atmosphere at night, but I would imagine during F1 weekend, it'll clean up a bit & the sex industry will hang around areas with a specific clientele.

I only use to see that stuff during the late nights on the strip when most children were already gone for the night. If it's changed, that's unfortunate, but I wouldn't label the city as trashy over that. From my experiences, it certainly becomes a different atmosphere at night, but I would imagine during F1 weekend, it'll clean up a bit & the sex industry will hang around areas with a specific clientele.
Well, I was last there in like 2010, but it was definitely during the day. He totally Abe Simpsoned his hand when he caught on to me just next to her.

I do like Vegas though (and the surrounding areas; the nuke viewpoint is just bizarre). Must go back some day, and November is kind of ideal.

Two years out of every four, Monaco gets the biggest audience for a sport event in the world. The other two years it's second biggest behind the World Cup or the Olympics.

There's less that no chance at all of ANY governing body to give that up.

Hopefully, anyone that missed out, can score some tickets. I'm already planning for next year.
I passed by Albert Park while heading to St Kilda and saw the stands being set up. I haven't looked at a map, but there were way more grand stands than when I last attended(2014).

3 races in the USA how ridiculous.

This calendar has been bloated.
Why? You realize the USA is almost bigger than all of Europe, right? And there are line nine races there. I welcome as many races here as they want! How better to get more Americans into racing (non-oval which doesn't need any help)?

That being said, as an American, it's ridiculously cringe worthy watching some of the races on TV. It's the people I want least representing this country that are the ones that make it on TV. But, they're the ones that make it on TV because they're the ones acting the most eccentric.

The race at CoTA is great; I went in 2013 when the cars still had real engines. 99.9% of the people there are just normal fans wanting to see some of the best engineered cars race it out. It's the 0.1% that show up in 10 gallon hats, cowboy boots/attire, chaps, showing up in their lifted trucks with the bull horns on the grill, etc. that feed the stereotype. Then the pre-races stuff with the cows, driver suites that look like cowboy stuff, etc. It's very very cringe-worthy and it disappoints me that those are the images that are being broadcast around the world perpetrating the stereotype.

Same went for Miami. And that track sucks. I don't have much better hope for Vegas. I do wish, as @MIE1992 said, they'd take advantage of some much better tracks but the money - and probably infrastructure - just isn't there like it is in Miami and Vegas. I fear Vegas is going to be an absolute **** show.

Anyway, I sleep just fine at night regardless. The more in the US, the merrier as far as I am concerned.

If we’re awarding races by country size, then Canada, Australia and Brazil are due an upgrade - plus Russia and China when they return to the schedule.

Back