Formula One U.S. Broadcasting Moves Over to ESPN in 2018

inb4 I watch a race only to hear ESPN ranting about how evil Donald Trump is.

In all seriousness though, I know they're gonna use global commentators (Likely Sky Sports), but I'm taking this with a grain of salt.

I'm not happy about this one. NBC Sports is a much better app than WatchESPN. I'm worried that there won't be a good way to watch races after they're live too. NBC Sports is excellent for this. ESPN is... Not.
This could really kill F1 for me if ESPN doesn't improve their steaming service in the next year

I’m going to miss David Hobbs.

He's very good.

Is there no chance of current analysts moving to ESPN for F1 coverage? They need to have some motorsports figures and can't rely on just presenters.

As if the fact ESPN is broadcasting wasn't enough, hearing they will use the global commentators makes it worse. Granted I have nothing against whoever does that, but they aren't going to be tailored to the US market so I'm guessing they will be cut off in mid sentence frequently.

As if the fact ESPN is broadcasting wasn't enough, hearing they will use the global commentators makes it worse. Granted I have nothing against whoever does that, but they aren't going to be tailored to the US market so I'm guessing they will be cut off in mid sentence frequently.

I wouldn't be surprised. It would look just like FOX's coverage of WEC and Formula E when they decide to take a commercial break.

I don't really follow Formula 1 much, but this all sounds like a bunch of hooey. Yeah- first time I said "hooey" that in my 13.75+ years on GTPlanet. Anyhow... this all seems like a downgrade. It's like going from a Range Rover to an Escalade. ESPN is no stranger to F1. I remember seeing YouTube videos where one fellow named Bob Varsha was calling F1 races for ESPN back in the day. I just don't really like the sound of all this. ESPN/ABC better step their game up like hell covering F1 if they want praise from racing fans. You also sort of hope they don't hype up F1 races to say they are like the Indy 500 or anything like that.

Also, since me and my family went from Dish network to Wi-Fi and Sling TV, I won't be able to see ESPN unless I get ESPN as part of the Sling package. So I won't get to follow F1 on ESPN in any real capacity. Then again, I don't follow F1 too much anyways. So it kind of goes both ways.

-2017 & beyond
-Internet access
-?????????????
-Success!!!!!!!! :D

Nothing's changing for me, except the shape of some cars and the tracks they go to, maybe a name or two also.

Can’t stand Diffy, Bob Varsha he is not!!! He was a third string bench warmer on SPEED. Why NBC made he their lead for motorsports is mind boggling.

Can’t stand Diffy, Bob Varsha he is not!!! He was a third string bench warmer on SPEED. Why NBC made he their lead for motorsports is mind boggling.

What in the world is your problem with Leigh Diffey? I've only ever seen you say so much negative about him as if he's done something horrible.

And really? "Bob Varsha he is not!!!" Who the hell ever said he was? Somehow, you make him out to be the worst thin all the while, we still have Adam Alexander, Vince Welch, Greg Cremer and Eddie Cheever out there

Last edited:
Anyone reckon there's a chance at Allen Bestwick commentating? I liked him a lot when ESPN used to cover NASCAR. Also, I really hope Diffey stays.

Still can't help laughing at the "ESPN has a long term commitment to motorsports" line from the press release.

Yes, it's soooo long that it put in half-hearted super-low bids to extend its NHRA and NASCAR contracts (consequently and unsurprisingly losing both, especially when you recall how the former was regularly bumped down the dial so as not to preempt NCAA Division 19 Coed Underwater Basketweaving or similar), delivers IndyCar telecasts that would draw a failing grade in any high school A/V class, fires 95% of its IndyCar on- and off-camera crew with a year left on its current contract, and only mentions any racing at all when someone is killed, somebody in racing gets political, and when somebody wins the Indy 500 (and even then that last one is for all of one half of one segment on SportsCenter...for a race that it broadcasts on its parent "over-the-air" network).

TL;DR: Give. Me. A. :censored:ing. Break.

Last edited:
I'll miss Will Buxton the most of the current crop. Despite his desire to talk a million words a minute on his pit-walk, he's a seriously charismatic and clued in individual.

Seriously we need a pre-NASCAR Speedvision channel back...

I made some predictions about this. Dick Vitale is going to be doing color commentary for the races. "Max Verstappen is a diaper dandy, baby!!", "This race is N.C. baby! N.C....No contest!! It's no contest, baby!!", "That Lewis Hamilton...He's a P.T.D'er, baby!! A Prime Time Driver!!" :banghead:

I'm just kidding, of course. Still, I fully expect ESPN to be as obnoxious as possible with their coverage and commentary (if they're using home grown instead of Sky Sports commentators". I do imagine lots of infographics strewn all over the screen and commercial breaks every 5 laps. :banghead: And let's not forget, they're probably going to assume the American audience is completely in the dark on car racing, let alone Formula 1. So, maybe they'll be kind enough to explain slipstream, explain how different tires may be used during a race, oh and the best will probably be how they explain how a Formula 1 car is different than the Honda Accord you have parked in the garage. :rolleyes: :banghead:

I really, really hope I'm wrong with all of these predictions.

I'm not happy about this one. NBC Sports is a much better app than WatchESPN. I'm worried that there won't be a good way to watch races after they're live too. NBC Sports is excellent for this. ESPN is... Not.
This could really kill F1 for me if ESPN doesn't improve their steaming service in the next year

I *hate* the NBC Sports app. On Apple TV, it doesn't work properly, for simple things like pausing and fast-forwarding. It never has.

That said, I am much more concerned about the coverage itself than the app.

What in the world is your problem with Leigh Diffey? I've only ever seen you say so much negative about him as if he's done something horrible.

And really? "Bob Varsha he is not!!!" Who the hell ever said he was? SOmehow, you make him out to be the worst thin all the while, we still have Adam Alexander, Vince Welch, Greg Cremer and Eddie Cheever out there

Agreed, I like Diffey ... he has done a great job with F1, NASCAR, Red Bull GRC ... great professional, great attitude, knows his own limits ... a pleasure all-around.

Gonna miss Diffey as the lead commentator and Matchet as the technical guy. Also we're probably losing Will Buxton to Sky Sports if he isn't taken in by ESPN. My only hope is that when the transfer occurred from Speed TV to NBC way back in 2012, they maintained the commentary team. Hope the same can happen again.

This ought to end the speculation:

C02EBBB1-041F-45B0-810B-C148EEC7EB4D.jpeg

Back