Forza Horizon 2 On The Xbox 360 - The Good Game That Wasn't So Good

• Thread starter Doomotron
  • 9 comments
United Kingdom
England
Doomotron
Last year, I got a used copy of Forza Horizon 2 for the 360. I had been eagerly awaiting it for the entirety of the month. And then it came. And then I played it. I liked it a lot. One of my favourite in the series and one of my favourite games of all time. However, there's one big thing that always bugged me: FH2-360 was a good game that never got the love it deserved.

PART 1 - HONEY I SHRUNK THE CAR LIST
Not long before launch - when most people had already bought the game - Turn 10 quickly announced that FH2-360 would receive no DLC. Oh dear. All these people who have just bought this game have been told that it would receive no post-launch support. That caused quite a stir and probably hurt sales. OK, definitely hurt sales. The car list also included a lot of cars that were from FH1 and FM4 and not FM5 and the Xbox One version. This was done simply to get to the advertised 200 cars. It was nice because some of those cars have never reappeared in the series and it seemed like a 'best of' Forza, but bad because they were filling the car list with cars from older games. Sumo Digital did try to fix the lack of cars and DLC, though - several DLC cars from the Xbox One were in the 360 version from the start and let's not forget the Fast And Furious expansion, which actually fixed some problems of the original 360 version, such as the lack of the docks. Yes, they did this by removing the golf course, but you can't drive on it anyway in the 360 version, so no matter.

PART 2 - NICE GRAPHICS YOU'VE GOT THERE, TOO BAD ABOUT THE BUGS
I don't care what people say. Horizon 2 on the 360 is a good-looking game. The graphics are a huge upgrade from the first and still hold up today (the YouTube comparisons make the 360 version look really bad because of the compression). The only problem is that while it looks really good when - let's say - you're driving down the coast from Nice to Castelletto but as soon as you see a field with no vegetation on it you completely forget about that. The thing is, the world is simply too big for the game to work well. Having a smaller map - like only the bit in Italy - so it's about the size of FH1's, you could get a much better looking game. There's also some problems in the world itself. Some roads just end out of nowhere and some roads are visible, but not driveable (I think there is one near the north-east of the map). And then there are the bugs. Picture this: you're driving your Bugatti Veyron at top speed and then, out of nowhere, it jumps into the air and crashes. Those are the sort of glitches in this game. And the sad thing is they were never fixed. The game only had one update that was most likely for Fast And Furious. That's quite sad.

PART 3 - A CAREER MODE THAT WAS BETTER?
Many people say that FH2's career mode is very similar to FH1's. That's just wrong. They're completely different. But strangely, on of the things Sumo did right was the career. In fact, I'd say they did it better than Playground Games. It's close enough to the Xbox One version so they don't seem like different games but it's far enough that the career mode isn't as mind-numbing as the Xbox One version.

You see, the Xbox One version makes you choose where to take the road trip. You drive there and do the races. Repeat.

While the 360 version does make you drive to the location, the game chooses where you're going. And, amazingly, it makes it 100% better. Yes. Really.

However, there is one big problem. The lack of wheelspins and the lack of money from events make this game a huge grind. Not nice.

PART 4 - WHAT FH2-360 SHOULD HAVE BEEN
So, what do I think? Well, the map should have been smaller. And there should have been less barn finds, with the removed cars from those barn finds being added directly to the Autoshow. Advertising the game differently could have benefited it as well. Rain might also have been possible if the game was downsized a bit (TDU2 did it and quite well at that).

CONCLUSION - FORZA HORIZON 2, THE CASH GRAB THAT COULD HAVE BEEN BRILLIANT
Hell, if Sumo tried hard enough, it could have been (technically) better than the One version. But they didn't. So what we got was the shell of a great game, filled up with misadvertising (I know it isn't advertising, but the clips on the start screen are from the Xbox One - they even show rain - and the cutscenes are also from the One version), a lack of content and bugs. But you know what? FH2 on the 360 is still a great game, no matter what anybody says. And, unlike the Xbox One version, you can still buy it (bar the Fast And Furios DLC). So, would I? Yes, actually.

I feel that if Sumo were given a bigger budget and more time and resources, as well as not having to work on LittleBigPlanet 3 at the same time and being able to support the game post-launch, they could have given the Xbox 360 a last hurrah and made the final encore something to remember. Plus, they could have been able to say to Microsoft that they can still make a good game on older hardware. But because of how Microsoft and Turn 10 work, that would have never happened.

Maybe in a couple of years, when we can hack and mod the Xbox 360 like we can to the PS2, we could try and make a better version of FH2-360. I'd like that.

I don't care what people say. Horizon 2 on the 360 is a good-looking game. The graphics are a huge upgrade from the first and still hold up today (the YouTube comparisons make the 360 version look really bad because of the compression).
A few things to point out. No one outright says it looks bad. Instead it was pointed out that what you're saying, that FH2 on the 360 looks better than the most recent iteration on the PC as well as Xbox. That was just completely unfounded.

Not only that, but saying it looks bad because of the compression is odd. So only Fh2 look bad because it's being compressed? What about the other videos of the other games, that still look great, even though it's on youtube being compressed. Or does that only apply to FH2 on the 360 specifically?

A few things to point out. No one outright says it looks bad. Instead it was pointed out that what you're saying, that FH2 on the 360 looks better than the most recent iteration on the PC as well as Xbox. That was just completely unfounded.
Wrong thread.
Not only that, but saying it looks bad because of the compression is odd. So only Fh2 look bad because it's being compressed? What about the other videos of the other games, that still look great, even though it's on youtube being compressed. Or does that only apply to FH2 on the 360 specifically?
No. I was saying that the YouTube compression affects FH2 in a way that it makes it look like a PS2 game.

Wrong thread.
Not if you’re going to mention it in a way that directly follows what you’ve said in a different thread.

No. I was saying that the YouTube compression affects FH2 in a way that it makes it look like a PS2 game.
No it doesn’t. Either way, compression affects all games equally.

Not if you’re going to mention it in a way that directly follows what you’ve said in a different thread.
Except I didn't... This thread has nothing to do with the other one. In fact I was actually replying to the people on the MotoGamesTV comparison video saying the Xbox 360 version looks bad.
No it doesn’t. Either way, compression affects all games equally.
Have you played the Xbox 360 version? The compression on YouTube gets rid of all of the reflections on the cars. So yes, it does.

Except I didn't... This thread has nothing to do with the other one. In fact I was actually replying to the people on the MotoGamesTV comparison video saying the Xbox 360 version looks bad.
Considering this followed pretty much after the weird thread you made, it really doesn’t look that way at all. I’ll take your word for it

Care to post the video?

Have you played the Xbox 360 version? The compression on YouTube gets rid of all of the reflections on the cars. So yes, it does.
Compression is not going to be so aggressive that it completely removes graphical features of a game. Either you’re overexaggerating to try to prove a point or you don’t know what you’re talking about. It’ll hinder quality, that’s true but it won’t completely remove things all together.

Considering this followed pretty much after the weird thread you made, it really doesn’t look that way at all. I’ll take your word for it

Care to post the video?
Compression is not going to be so aggressive that it completely removes graphical features of a game. Either you’re overexaggerating to try to prove a point or you don’t know what you’re talking about. It’ll hinder quality, that’s true but it won’t completely remove things all together.
Let me rephrase: the compression doesn't actually get rid of the feature, it just lowers the quality of the image so much that it doesn't seem like there are actually reflections. That should be quite easy to understand. This thread has literally nothing to with the car crash that is the other one. If you hadn't noticed/cared already, I've actually stopped replying to the other thread for two reasons, and before you ask, one of them is that after playing a bit more of the game, I actually started to like it. The other is because it was getting in my notifications more than I could care for and replying to it would attract more attention to the thread, so more to look at and reply to.

Oh and because you asked, here it is:

Notice the lack of reflections.

Let me rephrase: the compression doesn't actually get rid of the feature, it just lowers the quality of the image so much that it doesn't seem like there are actually reflections. That should be quite easy to understand.
It wasn’t hard to understand. If you yourself have to take back your exaggeration and correct yourself than you were intentionally misleading and shouldn’t be implying that someone has a hard time understanding. That fault is on your end.

This thread has literally nothing to with the car crash that is the other one. If you hadn't noticed/cared already, I've actually stopped replying to the other thread for two reasons, and before you ask, one of them is that after playing a bit more of the game, I actually started to like it. The other is because it was getting in my notifications more than I could care for and replying to it would attract more attention to the thread, so more to look at and reply to.
weird approach. Usually people would post new findings after more usage instead of running from an issue themselves started especially going into as much detail as you did.

Oh and because you asked, here it is:

Notice the lack of reflections.

Thank you.

PART 1 - HONEY I SHRUNK THE CAR LIST
Not long before launch - when most people had already bought the game - Turn 10 quickly announced that FH2-360 would receive no DLC. Oh dear. All these people who have just bought this game have been told that it would receive no post-launch support.
I have a question: Why was no DLC released for the Xbox 360 version of Forza Horizon 2, like with the Xbox One version? From what I've heard before, this might have had something to do with the fact that the 360 and One versions were made by different developers?

I have a question: Why was no DLC released for the Xbox 360 version of Forza Horizon 2, like with the Xbox One version? From what I've heard before, this might have had something to do with the fact that the 360 and One versions were made by different developers?
Primarily I think it was to move players onto the Xbox One version of the game to sell more units. Strangely, a few DLC cars (particularly pre-order cars) from the Xbox One version were included for free on the Xbox 360 version at launch for free. It ended up giving the 360 version a better car list than the Xbox One version!

Back