Votes: 8 42.1%
  • Not that bothered about it

Votes: 5 26.3%

• Total voters

Mr Latte

Premium
United Kingdom
N Ireland
Okay, I KNOW we cannot see HDR from other peoples videos. Also people showing different TV modes or profiles may alter the appearance of the image we do see but it is NOT letting us as viewers experience it as they do.

I state this as YT or other places are getting filled with people trying to show it off. What is useful however is peoples experiences and their view on it. Which unfortunately often is limited in videos or notthing at all is even commented by them.

Welcome some detailed "user views" on it here now after people will have had time to play more into the game and get accustomed with it. Please if you do comment please post the model of TV used and help others get an idea.

Here is one example, pointless with no commentary, we see a pretty game only to our displays capability with SDR.

This user talks about it, although using different TV presets isnt an ideal comparison of course

Here at least we get descriptions on how/where it does seem to benefit.

Last edited:
I entered a local Best Buy today and I was really disappointed that they had the FH3 demo on the normal Xbone on a really dull display. Would love to see HDR put to use in a game like FH3.

Going to a friends soon to see it on his, although I think GOW4 is also going to make great use of it as will BF1.
Would think by next Spring/Summer the general mid priced TV models will be better than they are currently.
It seems to get a REALLY good experience as it is now requires buying a more upmarket model for the full wide colour gamut to be appreciated. Too many models having HDR support but not fully being able to properly display it.

I think below is one of the best resources from a gaming/monitor perspective.
HDR BEST GAMING TVs 2016

I've very interested in this too but I believe it's still a bit too early for it. I'll wait for the new 2017 models and more pc support.

So I got a HDR TV on Friday last and it's absolutely stunning. The colours are just full of wow. It's affected what colours i buy my cars in because the depth and vividness is so incredible.

TV I bought is the LG 49UH850V. Super UHD, HDR10, 3D support, Harman kardon speakers.

Thats the type of comments I was hoping for and enjoy seeing.
Do the crystals in the caves pop out, what about the stars at night and some of the awesome sunrise/sunsets.
Even things like street lights at night, go on spill the beans :)

Haven't actually been in the caves yet. But yeah the stars look stunning, the sunsets have stopped me in my tracks more than once, the different shades of orange are spectacular. It's a shame that the effect doesn't show well in photos. In some regards it's quite hard to explain exactly.

OK so again not sure how well this will show. Basically for the first 2 pictures I turned off the HDR in the settings for the TV HDMI output. The first shot is using the TVs faux HDR effect, does a decent job. Shot 2 is the standard game mode and shot 3 is HDR turned back on for the output and set to my vivid HDR user setting.
IMG_20161006_083112.jpg
IMG_20161006_083135.jpg
IMG_20161006_083912.jpg

Overall it doesn't fully show the impact but you can get an idea of the depth of the colours if you look at the sky and clouds, the car and the road. Even the map display shows it a bit.

Unless it's just the camera, what's the big deal about HDR? It doesn't look natural.

VXR
Unless it's just the camera, what's the big deal about HDR? It doesn't look natural.

The camera shows some of the depth of colour. The big deal is how natural it actually looks. The jump to UHD is good but the real progress is the addition of HDR. Its like going from SD to HD. That's how big a deal it is.

Unfortunately, if people watch those shots on a non HDR screen, the effect is lost. So you can't really see how big of a deal it is unless you actually watch it on a screen that supports it.

VXR
Think of the difference between 16 color (EGA) and 256 (VGA) color. But it's hard to explain because you can't really show it on a non-HDR screen. Though you can see the less washed-out highlights quite clearly in the shot that @MildAshers posted.

I have a HDR screen, but tbh i think one needs to have a normal tv side by side to get a proper comparison, otherwise it looks "normal" to everyone else cos thats what we see everytime.

VXR
It doesn't look natural in the photos because they look over saturated in terms of colour (at least viewing them on this IPS panel). But ignore the colour saturation and just look at the contrast and brightness. Those photos do a good job of showing how better contrast gives a much better feeling of depth of image, plus generally more available detail.

VXR

Yeah its hard to put across when using a camera to try and capture something that people cant see on their displays. Over saturated colours is not really what it is about. Greater definition of detail in both high contrast and low light can be possible. Additionally any indvidual pixels can represent lowest or highest contrast of the display rather than the "whole" display being effected. Of course colour purity can be much greater and some TVs will offer HDR with varied presets to alter the saturation for personal preferences and material used.

This video may highlight from a demonstration basis "what can be achieved" regards detail and natural lighting...

Windows 10 as an actual operating system is to support HDR by next year I believe. BF1 is meant to be the first PC game to offer it.

Last edited:
I spent at least an hour messing around taking photos in this game last night just on the basis of the skies and lighting. I dont have an HDR TV but can enjoy the ambilight effect within the room which looks awesome at times with this game. Though really, I expect at times this game is gloriously, visually delicious on a good HDR display. Just a shame the PC version as yet does not offer it with the added benefits the PC version does bring as the game looks so sharp in 4K with everything maxed.

Great to read peoples general take on it as they experience it within the game..

Last edited:
Yes a 2015 Phillips model, non of that pretend want to be ambilight... :)

I enjoy how you can use various modes to get different effect and then adjust the strength / brightness. Sunsets are cool as are many of the games lighting effects, although I love driving under the street lights at night and the left/right hand side of the room light up accordingly.

Will HDR have any use on plasma tv ? I viewed those pictures of FH3 above on my plasma, world of difference than on my laptop LCD or my bro android display.

Is HDR meant for LCD based tvs to increase contrast ratio ?

I have some Japanese movies with h.265 10 bit color, and it looks very nice on plasma, remarkably different than the usual bluray movies.

Yes a 2015 Phillips model, non of that pretend want to be ambilight... :)

I enjoy how you can use various modes to get different effect and then adjust the strength / brightness. Sunsets are cool as are many of the games lighting effects, although I love driving under the street lights at night and the left/right hand side of the room light up accordingly.
Got a Philips here too (2014 model), love the Ambilight too, works so well in games. :) Now looking for an HDR model, but so far Philips has been lacking in that regard.

Last edited:
This is probably a dumb question, but do all 4k TVs have HDR?

Also, why do I see the prices of 4K TVs varying so much? You can see TVs of almost the same size going from 400 to over 1000 pounds, What is causing this difference in cost?

This is probably a dumb question, but do all 4k TVs have HDR?

Also, why do I see the prices of 4K TVs varying so much? You can see TVs of almost the same size going from 400 to over 1000 pounds, What is causing this difference in cost?

Not all no. It will say somewhere in the specs specifically if it has it.

Things like brightness, HDR capability, UHD standard will all play a part in price. For example a 499 pound LG 49UH620V, does have HDR, is an 8 bit panel with standard UHD, generic speakers etc. My 850V, same size, paid 750 pounds, is super UHD, HDR10 indicating a 10bit capable panel, 3d, with Harman Kardon speakers. All 3 HDMI are hdcp 2.2 compliant also whereas with cheaper 4k TVs I've seen them have only 1 or 2 compliant. All that means on my Xbox one S, everything in display capabilities is ticked.
IMG-20161002-WA0000.jpeg

Not all no. It will say somewhere in the specs specifically if it has it.

Things like brightness, HDR capability, UHD standard will all play a part in price. For example a 499 pound LG 49UH620V, does have HDR, is an 8 bit panel with standard UHD, generic speakers etc. My 850V, same size, paid 750 pounds, is super UHD, HDR10 indicating a 10bit capable panel, 3d, with Harman Kardon speakers. All 3 HDMI are hdcp 2.2 compliant also whereas with cheaper 4k TVs I've seen them have only 1 or 2 compliant. All that means on my Xbox one S, everything in display capabilities is ticked.
View attachment 593174
So it's safe to say your TV is decent :lol: How much did you pay for it? Quite eager now to make the 4K/HDR jump.

Do screenshots saved within the game work via HDR when you view them back or is it only with live video?

Examples I think HDR would look great in...

Last edited:
HDR looks like contrast enhancement to me ( as the name suggest, high dynamic range ), probably increasing the dynamic range to 10+ stops.

EDIT :

Interesting read :

http://www.forbes.com/sites/johnarc...guide-to-the-next-big-thing-in-tv-technology/

Just went to shopping mall last night, saw some UHD 4K HDR demo TVs ( Sony, Samsung, Panasonic, LG, Philips etc ), some in dark room - calibrated professionally by the shop owner ( LCD and OLED ), I think I'll stick with my plasma for the next 4-5 years, saw X Men Apocalypse and Batman VS Superman on 4K HDR BR, didn't impress me that much, some of them have issues with black level + back light ( common to LCD on on UHD 4K HDR models ) and OLED uniformity. Talked to the shop owner, seems like even high end UHD tv have their own problems with HDR performance ( back light clouding on Samsung SUHD and Sony 4K, Panasonic 4K which also have bad motion blur, LG OLED had detail loss on bright scenes/high contrast HDR scenes ) The LG OLED is the best I have seen at the shop, as good if not better than my plasma, though the LG had noise and color issue. I even haven't asked about the display lag ( gaming ), doubt most of them would be ideal for gaming.

Last edited:
Back