Famine

GTP Editor, GTPEDIA Author
Administrator
United Kingdom
Rule 12
GTP_Famine
This is the discussion thread for an article on GTPlanet:

Forza Horizon 5 Passes 15 Million Players

After already recording the biggest launch in the entire 20-year history of the Xbox console series, Forza Horizon 5 is continuing to set new benchmarks. Over the weekend the title racked up its 15 millionth player account, according to the in-game Hall of Fame counter...

By far the most popular car game today. As soon as I saw the FH2 trailer, I knew this franchise will become big, even bigger than Motorsport. Today, even bigger than GT and NFS.

You're right, a dollar is a dollar. My bad.
Oh gotcha, its free if you ignore the part where you have to spend money to play it.

Also, mine isn't a dollar, am I doing it wrong?

Last edited:
Oh gotcha, its free if you ignore the part where you have to spend money to play it.

Also, mine isn't a dollar, am I doing it wrong?
I even put free is quotes. Hoped that would avoid misunderstandings.
I thought the GT side of the forum was defensive but this is heating up more than I expected.

Last edited:
I even put free is quotes. Hoped that would avoid all the incoming BS.
Yeah, not exactly sure what the quotation was supposed to change. Makes even less sense when you consider your quip after pointing it out.

Similarly, Squid Games is free too as long as I pay for Netflix.

As for your quick edit about being defensive, I for one don't care for the game, and in fact find it to be very boring. Just felt like pointing out something that makes very little to no sense. Ironically enough, I was almost the first post in this thread and was going to post "In before someone mentions it free, that's why it was able to" but decided against it in good faith. Didn't think someone would go right off the bat to say something so ridiculous.

Last edited:
I thought the GT side of the forum was defensive but this is heating up more than I expected.

Considering the fact that every time Forza's player numbers are brought in any context, you have people trying to discredit it by the exact same margins you pulled, that it's somehow fake because it is 'free' (when it really isn't, considering you're paying for the Game Pass subscription, however much that is) and seemingly forget that player numbers are more accurate then the sales numbers said people bring up with regards to GT, of which I guarantee Polyphony care more for player numbers then traditional sales numbers, forgive me for feeling like this bait is stale and old, and eye roll worthy.

Yeah, not exactly sure what the quotation was supposed to change. Makes even less sense when you consider your quip after pointing it out.

Similarly, Squid Games is free too as long as I pay for Netflix.

As for your quick edit about being defensive, I for one don't care for the game, and in fact find it to be very boring. Just felt like pointing out something that makes very little to no sense.
The game is good and is easily/cheaply accessible. There is no reason why it wouldn't be hugely popular.
I'm not sure why the "free" is such a point of contention when perpetual deals for $1-3/mo have been going on for about 3 years now.

The game is good and is easily/cheaply accessible. There is no reason why it wouldn't be hugely popular.
I'm not sure why the "free" is such a point of contention when perpetual deals for $1-3/mo have been going on for about 3 years now.
Weird, mine is not $1-3, am I doing it wrong?

Well because free means that it costs no money. If you in fact paid money to use a product, then I'm not sure how that would be considered free?

Last edited:
Weird, mine is not $1-3, am I doing it wrong?

Neither is mine, and I even bought mine at a discount because of a friend who works for Microsoft and gets access to the Friends and Family store. Granted, it was for a year..

Neither is mine, and I even bought mine at a discount because of a friend who works for Microsoft and gets access to the Friends and Family store. Granted, it was for a year..
Yup, and that's because the constant mislabeling, intentionally or otherwise, of it at "$1-3" is only for a one time promotion and isn't exactly truthful. After that it reverts back to $10-15 depending on the option chosen. So if you only happen to play it within the window of the first month, then yeah the price is relatively small. If you think you're going to play the game for more than 4 months, it's smarter to just buy the game outright - especially if you aren't playing many other games on the Gamepass.

Which still isn't free.

Last edited:
When a game is good and "free" a lot of people will play it.
I was able to follow what you were saying easily enough --- someone mentioned that it was bigger than NFS and GT.

Your response simply points out that being an exclusive game on Game Pass almost guarantees that there will be a larger player base.

FH was already on the rise beforehand, but what you wrote is still a valid point.

I was able to follow what you were saying easily enough --- someone mentioned that it was bigger than NFS and GT.

Your response simply points out that being an exclusive game on Game Pass almost guarantees that there will be a larger player base.

FH was already on the rise beforehand, but what you wrote is still a valid point.
So did I, but it didn't make it any more correct. Either way, no one said it was invalid(at least partially.) It was purely in snide, as you can see with the follow up comment when asked about it - especially considering that its not $1-3 either for any people besides the most newest of members to the service, either. The sentiment that it's a good popular game is a valid point, trying to quip that it's free isn't in any way whatsoever.

I'm not sure why it warranted such a response in the first place anyways, when the original post was just talking about how the person knew it was going to turn out to be a popular series.

I don't get the anger at this comment. It seems like such an innocuous statement, including poking fun at the idea that Game Pass is free.
I think a lot of it has to do with the fact that the comment it was responding to mentioned that Horizon is now bigger than GT and NfS. The response therefore has at least some implication that the reason Horizon is bigger than those games is because it's good, which is not really something that anyone needed pointing out. And because it's "free", which is vague enough that it can be interpreted pretty unkindly. It's hard to get a lot of nuance into such a short statement, and so people see whatever they think it is that the poster is trying to say. Even the responses didn't clear up much.

To be fair, there's a lot of people on GTP that are aggressively anti-Forza and resent any implication that a Forza game might be anywhere on the same level as a Gran Turismo game, let alone surpass it in some manner. Add in the fact that one of the key metrics held up for Gran Turismo's superiority over the last decade or so has been it's sales/user base and it's an easy assumption that it's just another user taking cheap shots at what is honestly one of the better casual racing games ever made.

I think on this forum in 2022 it would be wise to be pretty clear about how to word one's comments if it could be interpreted as implying that Horizon only got to where it is by being "free". Game Pass isn't free, but it is a benefit of being part of the Microsoft eco-system and it is a cheap way of getting access to a lot of games. That gives Horizon a lot of reach, but probably not significantly more than GTS being easily available for <$20. It's probably pretty fair to say that the vast majority of the people with the hardware and the desire to play one of these games has done so.

When a game is good and "free" a lot of people will play it.
Always someone to QQ no matter what. 😅

Also you're quite entitled to want for free. Also I love how further down the conversation you're trying to salvage the situation because you got roasted. :lol:

Last edited:
So I'm in the minority then with this game? I played about 2 hours and just quit, boring as hell. The graphics are great, but there just doesn't seem to be more substance in there for me.

So I'm in the minority then with this game? I played about 2 hours and just quit, boring as hell. The graphics are great, but there just doesn't seem to be more substance in there for me.
It's your opinion that is all. Doesn't matter if you're in minority or not. Although saying that is boring because there are no substance that doesn't make much sense. It definitely doesn't make it the truth.
Let's look at FH2. The map is smaller but it's designed in a way to favor driving on roads rather than off roading. It has no story whatsoever and the only thing left after you have completed the one time last race is driving back to the next location to do the next championship. You would be surprised how many players think that the FH2 formula is not boring at all while still believe FH5 is a hollow/shallow experience.
I don't know what you looking in a racing game. For me handling is no.1, options (tod, weather, tuning..) are no.2, car list, AI is next, graphics and sounds next and the location(tracks) last. Story? I don't care. Now FH5 for me does everything listed better than the previous titles. Even if you say that the location is bad you still have the Event Lab which let you literally build your own track.

It's your opinion that is all. Doesn't matter if you're in minority or not. Although saying that is boring because there are no substance that doesn't make much sense. It definitely doesn't make it the truth.
Let's look at FH2. The map is smaller but it's designed in a way to favor driving on roads rather than off roading. It has no story whatsoever and the only thing left after you have completed the one time last race is driving back to the next location to do the next championship. You would be surprised how many players think that the FH2 formula is not boring at all while still believe FH5 is a hollow/shallow experience.
I don't know what you looking in a racing game. For me handling is no.1, options (tod, weather, tuning..) are no.2, car list, AI is next, graphics and sounds next and the location(tracks) last. Story? I don't care. Now FH5 for me does everything listed better than the previous titles. Even if you say that the location is bad you still have the Event Lab which let you literally build your own track.
I'm bot a fan of the driving, because I played FH4 to death and I don't feel it's that different (other than locale)
Luckily I have it on GP, so I don't have buyers remorse or anything.

I'm bot a fan of the driving, because I played FH4 to death and I don't feel it's that different (other than locale)
Luckily I have it on GP, so I don't have buyers remorse or anything.
I'm in that same group too. I also feel like is not that different when you take the map out. But at the same time I just have no motivation to go back. Because I like racing in FH5 more.

I don't get the anger at this comment. It seems like such an innocuous statement, including poking fun at the idea that Game Pass is free.
There was no anger involved, it was more so finding out the intent for a statement that is extremely commonly used to drag something down for little to no reason. Then the person doubled down on another thing that isn't entirely true either, that made it seem like the intent I originally questioned was correct.

If someone is going to post something that doesn't make much sense, and isn't factually correct, they shouldn't be confused when people take them up on it. I mean, the original user did it intentionally and acknowledged as much, knowing what people would draw from it and instead of acknowledging it, just doubled down on with a quick quip instead.

While I lasted a good bit longer than you, I don't entirely disagree. I shelved it mid December, about a month or so of playing. It's a fine game, but it's growing stale to me. Although, I think that's more racing in general lately rather than isolating the series as a whole.

Last edited:
While I lasted a good bit longer than you, I don't entirely disagree. I shelved it mid December, about a month or so of playing. It's a fine game, but it's growing stale to me. Although, I think that's more racing in general lately rather than isolating the series as a whole.
I've always found Horizon to be like this. It's great fun, but I play it for four to six weeks, do most of the stuff once and then I've had my fill. I come back for expansions for a few weeks and occasionally potter around in between but it's never been a game that I find myself engaged to play for years straight.

That's a lot players no matter how you cut it. It's a testament to the quality of the game and shows that racing games aren't dead. To me, it's up there with the very best and we won't be forgetting it anytime soon.

Back