Forza Motorsport 7: General Discussion

• Thread starter PJTierney
  • 6,750 comments
Im more interested in the drag mode upgrades and upcoming cars...of course they put no dates on this stuff. Would have been nice to have some sort of time frame, for all we know these fixes may not come until like August. But we will see

Even before FM6, DLC that added more conent along with cars have always been called expansions:

FM4 - Porsche Expansion Pack

Horizon 1 - Rally Expansion and 1000 Club Expansion

Horizon 2 - Storm Island Expansion Pack and Porsche Expansion

That is true. But as I said, unless you don't count the FM4 PEP as an "expansion" ("glorified car pack" is more like it), FM6 was the first game of the Motorsport line to receive a "proper" EP. While I would be very surprised if Horizon 4 didn't receive at least one such larger-scope DLC, I can't say I am shocked at the same happening to FM7.

Of course, I am fully aware T10 preferred to call the usual Porsche pack an "expansion". But, call me old-fashioned, I have some trouble attaching that label to a DLC that doesn't add in any new way to play the game - and undoubtedly they represent something much less labor-intensive than any Storm Island or Blizzard Mountain PG may release, or even the NASCAR EP. And besides, PEPs are definitely a thing of the past now.

The FM6 Porsche pack at least had a track and some career events added in with the cars. For FM4 and FH2 it was more a question of "here are the cars we had planned to have in the game from day 1 but EA was being a bitch"

I don't know this for certain, but from an Xbox/Forza perspective it's a "pack" if it just includes assets and an "expansion" if it includes Achievements, as the FM4 Porsche Expansion did.

The FM6 Porsche pack at least had a track and some career events added in with the cars. For FM4 and FH2 it was more a question of "here are the cars we had planned to have in the game from day 1 but EA was being a bitch"

FM4 had added events too. It's not easy to find a source as it's no longer for sale and people don't usually screencap the event list, but an old Amazon listing states:

The Porsche Expansion Pack includes 30 new and classic Porsche models for you to collect, race, and customize. Drive your favorite models in brand new Porsche-themed events in both World Tour Mode and Rivals Mode.

Side note, I wonder if they plan on doing updates beyond the major ones they announced yesterday. There's still tons of little things they need to fix and hoping they didn't forget those ...

20 events added to FM4 World Tour with the PEP.

Porsche 550 Spyder Spec Series
Porsche 914/6 Spec Series
Porsche 911 Carrera RS Spec Series
Porsche 944 Turbo Spec Series
Porsche Nostalgia Showcase
Cayenne Turbo vs. X5M Challenge
Porsche Sportscar Showcase
Cayman R vs. M3 (E92) Challenge
German Elite Invitational
Porsche 911 vs. Ferrari V8 Challenge
Porsche 911 Turbo (997) Spec Series
Porsche 911 GT2 RS (997) Spec Series
911 Club
959 vs. F40 Challenge
911 vs. Corvette Challenge
Carrera vs. Enzo Challenge
Porsche 911 GT3 Racecar Showcase
Porsche 911 GT1 Passing Challenge
Ring Challenge #17 Porsche AG 962c
Spyder Evo Passing Challenge

Side note, I wonder if they plan on doing updates beyond the major ones they announced yesterday. There's still tons of little things they need to fix and hoping they didn't forget those ...

I like to think this means T10 will continue to support FM7 alongside Playground doing the same with FH4. It seems like strange timing to announce so many substantial improvements to the package — with no ETA — when FH4 will be shown off in a month. FRC runs roughly until FH4's release (if it slides into the usual spot this year), but continuing to improve 7 into 2019 would do wonders for the game.

Really curious to see this track limit stuff in action. Could be a seriously great learning tool for drivers.

https://forzamotorsport.net/en-us/news/wir_5_18_18
"
Specialty Dealer Updates
The Forza Motorsport 7 Specialty Dealer will undergo some changes next week. We will have three cars in the Specialty Dealer each but, starting next week, two of those cars will be completely new to the vendor. The majority of these exclusive cars have been given away in other events, but all of the new cars will be ones that have never appeared in Specialty Dealer before, so this will be a great chance to gain access to exclusive cars you might have missed the first time around."
Reverse psychology-the week they stop doing Specialty Dealer News is the week we get four new cars never seen before. :lol:
Son of a gun's reverse-psychology worked. :lol:

I like how they're going to change up the specialty dealer instead of repeating the same cars over and over.

Yes, I'm so happy that there's a proper Time Attack mode going to be in FM7, all I do is hotlap cars anyway. So let me embrace my hot lapping dammit!

To note, I'm happy to hear about the hoonigan car pack being released. Mainly so I can drive that 2000s Holden Commodore ute.

The homologation system was good on paper but in the end it didn't really work out. Either they'll overhaul it for the next title or scrap it altogether.

FH2 also brought the Porsche bucket list with the Porsche cars though, so it was still a bit more than just a car pack. And it was also the first time Porsche appeared outside of an EA racing game on the current gen consoles.

I really wish there was an option to stop the game from loading the car models when I am browsing my garage. I'm getting sick of the game crashing to desktop, while I'm deciding what to drive.

Also the Xbox app and FM7 aren't playing nice, since today Window 10 update. I think this is the most recent update that caused some issues for other players. Forza is doing anything but running.

I don't know this for certain, but from an Xbox/Forza perspective it's a "pack" if it just includes assets and an "expansion" if it includes Achievements, as the FM4 Porsche Expansion did.
The Hoonigan Car Pack from Forza Horizon 3 kind of throws this into a loop since it has Achievements.

I think it’s more about a price point, more expensive content being labelled as an expansion.

Hey all. I couldn't quite resist Forza 7 on sale, so I've been playing it for the last couple of days. Currently I'm a little confused about some features like Forzathon, Specialty Dealer, auctions, and if racing gear modified the game (descriptions like "may you always be first on the grid" aren't clear if it's a saying or it'll place you first. I can always try it).

Anyway, since no one asked, a few first thoughts.

- I experienced Virginia International in e-form for the first time this morning, the grand west course, in the rain. And I felt like an idiot. It looks like the track will be fun, as I like long, complex courses, but I was seriously binning it.
- I miss the class rivals, as it was one of my most used modes in previous games, especially lapping and seeing how I can improve. I also don't see a free play, although I like the pre-race test drive.
- I'm uncertain on the drivatars. I didn't see nearly as much carnage as 6 had in a couple tight corners, but I still suspect they're better when the computer is controlling 10 or fewer.
- I like the ability to adjust race lengths in the career. I'd like a medium option, though, as going from a five minute to 25 minute race is a bit of a jump.
- In the few I've tried, race cars and even S class seem far easier to handle than they were in 6 or 4, at least with a standard controller. I re-checked that the assists were still off a couple times.
- At least some night environments are early evening and not very dark.
- I'd still like rain and night at the same time.
- I plan to ignore the mods as I did with 6, and probably the crates.
- I think the buy-cars-to-be-able-to-buy-other-cars is silly. I might be bothered more with it if this were my first Forza game, but I got quite a few credits and other things for playing previous games.
- With 6, I painted the non-race cars with automatic transmissions brown to more easily avoid selecting them. With 7 I'm using yellow. And yes, I'm a dork.
- Overall I'm liking it so far. There are a few issues and annoyances, but there's an adjustable free play mode, a number of fun tracks, and several of my favorite cars (especially Mazdas, Porsches, and Subarus), so there's probably enough for quite a while.

I miss the class rivals, as it was one of my most used modes in previous games, especially lapping and seeing how I can improve.

That mode is making a comeback in a future update.

- I'm uncertain on the drivatars. I didn't see nearly as much carnage as 6 had in a couple tight corners, but I still suspect they're better when the computer is controlling 10 or fewer.

They definitely seem better behaved with smaller grids, I use at most 16 in free play races.

At least some night environments are early evening and not very dark.

There's varying stages, unfortunately it's luck of the draw.

I plan to ignore the mods as I did with 6, and probably the crates.

Don't! They've completely changed the way mods work and they now are pretty much only used for credit/xp bonuses. Gone are the stupid "10% more grip" mods.

I think the buy-cars-to-be-able-to-buy-other-cars is silly. I might be bothered more with it if this were my first Forza game, but I got quite a few credits and other things for playing previous games.

The threshold for each tier is rather low and so long as you always take the discounted car you will have everything unlocked very quick.

Don't! They've completely changed the way mods work and they now are pretty much only used for credit/xp bonuses. Gone are the stupid "10% more grip" mods.

Actually, there are still some "bonus" mods to be found in the level-up crates that replace the driver suits after you have unlocked them all... But you can just sell them and ignoring their existence quite easily.

Actually, there are still some "bonus" mods to be found in the level-up crates that replace the driver suits after you have unlocked them all... But you can just sell them and ignoring their existence quite easily.

I rarely take the driver suit so that would be why I didn’t know of their existence. :lol:

Still, you would have to be stupid to completely ignore mods since I regularly get a 200%+ credit bonus by using them. Most are for simple things like clean laps or not using certain assists as well.

I rarely take the driver suit so that would be why I didn’t know of their existence. :lol:

Still, you would have to be stupid to completely ignore mods since I regularly get a 200%+ credit bonus by using them. Most are for simple things like clean laps or not using certain assists as well.
It seems to me the mods can easily cover the cost of some of the crates and then the rest is profit.

Hey all. I couldn't quite resist Forza 7 on sale, so I've been playing it for the last couple of days. Currently I'm a little confused about some features like Forzathon, Specialty Dealer, auctions, and if racing gear modified the game (descriptions like "may you always be first on the grid" aren't clear if it's a saying or it'll place you first. I can always try it).
If you look under Cars>Car Collection you'll see quite a bit of base content cars are locked away, a bone of contention for many players. I think a lot of your questions are in regard to this.

Forzathon is just extra side quests that allow you to win locked cars and/or driver gear. New Forzathons appear about every three to four weeks.

Specialty Dealer updates once a week on Tuesday at 1700 PDT. It's three or four locked cars they offer for sale for one week, then it's back under lock and key. If you see something you like, definitely grab it.

Auction House works pretty much the same as it always has in previous versions of the game, but not all locked cars can be auctioned off.

Driver Gear do not affect game play. They just look good. I'm quite fond of them, actually.

You didn't mention it, but I recommend Leagues which you'll find under Multiplayer. It's a good way to earn locked cars and gear with little effort. It works on a four week cycle. Each week is a series. Four series is a season. If you compete in just one race every week (you don't have to win and if you don't want to deal with rammers, do the ghost race), you'll earn a locked car or suit at the end of the week. That will also qualify you to win the season prize after four weeks. And you don't have to do all the races each week. Just one. Leagues update on Saturday at 1700 PDT.

Last edited:
I seen something about better drag racing, with warming up the tires... Anyone know when that will be updated?
Some time in the next few months. It’ll be a “work in progress” when it’s added, with feedback influencing the final version.

Thinking about the two more packs thing. Here is some speculation. I think it's a safe bet, but woupd also be welcomed by the community if the 2018 and McLaren Senna headlined the two packs. My guess is if the Mustang doesn't headline a pack then it will be one of the free cars.

That mode is making a comeback in a future update.

They definitely seem better behaved with smaller grids, I use at most 16 in free play races.

There's varying stages, unfortunately it's luck of the draw.

The threshold for each tier is rather low and so long as you always take the discounted car you will have everything unlocked very quick.

Thanks. It's good to know the class rivals is coming, and that the mods are useful.

I noticed the rain seemed dynamic in one of the career races, so night it too? Or it just picks a time and stays with it? If so I'll hope for a future update with selectable time of day and progression. In GT 6 I'd often set the time before dawn and watch as the sky lightening while lapping.

You're right about the tier progress; it's moving up quickly.

If you look under Cars>Car Collection you'll see quite a bit of base content cars are locked away, a bone of contention for many players. I think a lot of your questions are in regard to this.

Forzathon is just extra side quests that allow you to win locked cars and/or driver gear. New Forzathons appear about every three to four weeks.

Specialty Dealer updates once a week on Tuesday at 1700 PDT. It's three or four locked cars they offer for sale for one week, then it's back under lock and key. If you see something you like, definitely grab it.

Auction House works pretty much the same as it always has in previous versions of the game, but not all locked cars can be auctioned off.

Driver Gear do not affect game play. They just look good. I'm quite fond of them, actually.

You didn't mention it, but I recommend Leagues which you'll find under Multiplayer. It's a good way to earn locked cars and gear with little effort. It works on a four week cycle. Each week is a series. Four series is a season. If you compete in just one race every week (you don't have to win and if you don't want to deal with rammers, do the ghost race), you'll earn a locked car or suit at the end of the week. That will also qualify you to win the season prize after four weeks. And you don't have to do all the races each week. Just one. Leagues update on Saturday at 1700 PDT.

Thanks. I did some of the Forzathon challenges a bit ago, which were fun. It seems adapted from the first Forza Horizon challenges (I haven't played the other two).

The other info helps as well, thanks.

Also, thanks for the multiplayer heads up; I'll look into the ghosts. My previous multiplayer experience in GT, Forza, and other games hasn't been the greatest. I eventually decided when I get some time to play I don't want to hear; well, the stuff we've likely all heard.

I noticed the rain seemed dynamic in one of the career races, so night it too? Or it just picks a time and stays with it? If so I'll hope for a future update with selectable time of day and progression. In GT 6 I'd often set the time before dawn and watch as the sky lightening while lapping
The rain is dynamic and you can change the start, middle, and end conditions. I forget just how many settings, (maybe 7) for rain. It's actually one of the coolest features. But not all tracks have Rain, and some tracks offer Night as well, and some even both! Night doesn't have any selectable settings, (it's just pot luck), but does have twilight, night and pre-dawn scenarios. Oh, and one other thing. Don't freak out when racing at night and you see a night time rainbow. There are dozens of shared pictures out there, if you're interested.

Welcome, and have fun out there!

If you go to your “car collection” then you will see about a hundred or so locked cars in there. These are cars you cannot purchase from the “buy cars” menu. Some of these cars are rewards from the Forza drivers cup showcase events, some are rewards for completing each decision from the Forza drivers cup (and again from completing the elite version later on). All the remaining locked cars (and this are still easily 60-80 cars or something) are rewarded by “live events”. To get as much cars as possible from the “live events” do each of the following:

1) check under the “forzathon” section in game and complete all challenges. This refreshes every 3-4 weeks or so.
2) check under the “specialty dealer” once a week and buy all 3-4 cars on offer if you don’t have them already. This offer of cars refreshes every week.
3) under “leagues” do at least 1 race once a week, every week you will get the weekly reward and at the end of the 4-week period you also get the monthly prize
4) under “rivals” do at least 1 lap under all the “Forza RC” and “special events”. Many of them are bounty hunter events or community challenges where you can win a car just for participating. If you are really good at hotlapping check the forum for the details of the events and how you can get extra cars for beating Turn 10 staff or being in the top 10%, 25% or 50%.

Then outside of the game there are 2 ways to get extra cars as well:
5) if you want to spend time in it, watch the Forza RC streams, often price cars are rewarded for being in the stream.
6) on the official forum under the “news & events” section is a photo competition event as well, if you get selected as a winner you can choose a car from a list of cars from previous events.

I know it’s really stupid and annoying so many cars from the base game are locked and Turn 10 wants to make you jump through extra loopholes to get these cars, but that’s the way they run their show.

PS - all the events to do I mentioned above don’t always reward locked cars, sometimes also special driver gear (aka just cosmetic costumes for your dancing rag doll next to your car).

So I did the "Rebirth of Muscle" series yesterday and noticed that @Vic Reign93's drivatar chose an interesting vehicle.

3bcd0f67-2597-4a15-b564-e2ee6f6c11d8.jpeg

The rain is dynamic and you can change the start, middle, and end conditions. I forget just how many settings, (maybe 7) for rain. It's actually one of the coolest features. But not all tracks have Rain, and some tracks offer Night as well, and some even both! Night doesn't have any selectable settings, (it's just pot luck), but does have twilight, night and pre-dawn scenarios. Oh, and one other thing. Don't freak out when racing at night and you see a night time rainbow. There are dozens of shared pictures out there, if you're interested.

Welcome, and have fun out there!

Thanks. I'll have to look for the rain setting, and it's good to know it can rain at night. I'll also have to watch for a night rainbow.

If you go to your “car collection” then you will see about a hundred or so locked cars in there. These are cars you cannot purchase from the “buy cars” menu. Some of these cars are rewards from the Forza drivers cup showcase events, some are rewards for completing each decision from the Forza drivers cup (and again from completing the elite version later on). All the remaining locked cars (and this are still easily 60-80 cars or something) are rewarded by “live events”. To get as much cars as possible from the “live events” do each of the following:

1) check under the “forzathon” section in game and complete all challenges. This refreshes every 3-4 weeks or so.
2) check under the “specialty dealer” once a week and buy all 3-4 cars on offer if you don’t have them already. This offer of cars refreshes every week.
3) under “leagues” do at least 1 race once a week, every week you will get the weekly reward and at the end of the 4-week period you also get the monthly prize
4) under “rivals” do at least 1 lap under all the “Forza RC” and “special events”. Many of them are bounty hunter events or community challenges where you can win a car just for participating. If you are really good at hotlapping check the forum for the details of the events and how you can get extra cars for beating Turn 10 staff or being in the top 10%, 25% or 50%.

Then outside of the game there are 2 ways to get extra cars as well:
5) if you want to spend time in it, watch the Forza RC streams, often price cars are rewarded for being in the stream.
6) on the official forum under the “news & events” section is a photo competition event as well, if you get selected as a winner you can choose a car from a list of cars from previous events.

I know it’s really stupid and annoying so many cars from the base game are locked and Turn 10 wants to make you jump through extra loopholes to get these cars, but that’s the way they run their show.

PS - all the events to do I mentioned above don’t always reward locked cars, sometimes also special driver gear (aka just cosmetic costumes for your dancing rag doll next to your car).

Thanks. I wasn't clear on the difference between the collection and buy sections. The other info helps as well. I'll also have to watch multiplayer; maybe it'll be better. One of the reasons I liked Rivals in previous games was being able to compete with other players without discovering their preferred expletives and certain viewpoints. If nothing else, I already have most of my favorite cars; I suppose that's an upside of preferring more obtainable cars, even in games.

I like the dancing rag down analogy. So far mine has been in a default gray, but I might have to switch to the just unlocked Nathan costume, as lines like "He hates these cans!" and "The new phonebooks are here!" are embedded in my mind.

-------

General observation everyone probably knows: I noticed dashboard clocks were advancing and thought maybe the time of day is dynamic, and thought that was in game time. But last night I noticed the clock read "00:29" while on a day track, wondered why it would read past midnight, and realized that was my actual time, on the dash of my virtual 2008 WRX. A small detail, but I thought it kind of cool.

And another aside: I went into a turn too hot and sideswiped a drivatar. Just after doing so "Good Pass" lit up. I read that as sarcasm.

Back