Forza Motorsport General Discussion Thread

• Thread starter Terronium-12
  • 12,705 comments
About time... Hopefully it'll have open lobbies like GT, that was something I felt was always lacking in Forza.
Indeed. :) I feel that is one of the things Forza has been missing for far too long now since FM4. Although I've heard years ago that T10 are aware of that via Chris Esaki. Let's hope open lobbies do make a return in this time with this FM. :D:tup:

Indeed. :) I feel that is one of the things Forza has been missing for far too long now since FM4. Although I've heard years ago that T10 are aware of that via Chris Esaki. Let's hope open lobbies do make a return in this time with this FM. :D:tup:
1659587941569.png

Is this similar to open lobbies?
They talked about this quite a while back and seemed to have considered it at the very least, if not implemented.

Still holding out for tutorials, driver ratings and a penalty system 👀
I thought they mentioned in a previous announcement that they will have sector based learning for each track? The fact that FM7 has lobbies with their race regulations, kind of gives me hope that we will see it implemented and refined for the next title. I don't think I've heard anything about DR or SR systems though.

I just saw a Colt Eastwood video saying the next FM will be a long term game with periodic updates….. I like that direction but could get expensive. I hope a motorcycle update won’t be far away!

I just saw a Colt Eastwood video saying the next FM will be a long term game with periodic updates….. I like that direction but could get expensive. I hope a motorcycle update won’t be far away!
The developers have said in the past that motorcycles will probably never happen. A physics engine for cars can't just be put on motorcycles, they're very different.

And for those who point to Forza Horizon's bikes, those are scripted and have no real physics beyond a hitbox so you can't drive through them.

As ever I'll look forward to this.

Regarding visuals, I looks excellent, it will benefit from nit having to support the older consoles so I expect this to be a very refined visual experience, the fact we can expect 4k60 with RT on during gameplay is the biggest indicator of this. Should be quite something.

I don't feel comparison screenshots are needed to determine whether it's got the right colour palette, I have eyes and neither GT not Forza nail real life colour. Everyone sees things a little bit differently, even photography isn't perfect with regards to different photographers colour balance etc. My first impressions are Forza looks a bit more alive, slightly more dynamism to its environment. Gran Turismo can have this but only on certain circuits, there is a tendency for environments to feel stale (Sainte Croix I'm looking at you). Kaz has always said Gran Turismo is his vision of a perfect world so it is meant to be clinical and clean and precise. Forza has always felt a bit more lived in.

Can't comment on physics but it sounds pretty promising so far. If the tyre model has advanced by as much as they claim and that translates to player feel and actual driving physics ((let's not forget, PC3 has a very good underlying tyre model, you just wouldn't know it). I enjoy Forza Motorsport physics from the past, I prefer the tyre and braking physics in Forza over Gran Turismo personally. But until we get hands on its all just words.

Seen a few comments on AI as well, this is something I've said in the GT7 forum as well, Forza drivatars aren't perfect, but I'd take them over Gran Turismos nobots any day of the week.

As for things I'd like to see them change/add? The Homologation system from FM7 needs to be ditched, it didn't serve the purpose it should have, it should have acted like a balance of performance system like GT, but all it did was force slow cars to the top of whatever class (touring cars for example, it just made the BTCC cars go to the top of S to compete with the MR Swedish touring cars and it ruined how they drove). They either need to do BoP properly, or, my preference, keep different series cars separate. If we have WTCC, BTCC and STCC cars, give them their own championships, you can triple the playing content and keep the cars relevent. There was a lot of talk of a refocus on the Motorsport aspect so hopefully they make the racing series' in career mode realistic and preferably without having to upgrade the cars.

Online needs work, I know there are some significant changes coming to online which will be familiar to players of GT Sport or iRacing so that's a good step, but they need to nail the formula for how the races are curated and again, like with single player, ditch the Homologation crap and keep the series' realistic. Also I hope they do better with rivals, keep more events changing in and keep it fresh, FM7 didn't seem to give much love to the rivals events outside of the VIP or the 2/3 they cycled elsewhere. Drift, autocross, focussed events really didn't get any love.
Just wrong, GT7 Lightining is unbeatable in any case. Literally a fact

It isn't unbeatable and that certainly isn't a fact. It can be great in certain scenarios, it can also be extremely bland and dull.

FM7 holds up pretty well to GT7 imo. There are still loads of times where GT7 looks better, but FM7 isn't too far behind.
Must add that FM needs to up their game on paint and glass rendering on cars.

Last edited:
I think that, while GT7 ditched ray tracing in races when GTS had it, GT7 still looks better as the colouring is better most of the time. I did a comparison screenshot on Brands Hatch in the same conditions and with the same car and GT7 looked better solely because of its richer colours (this was on a PS4 without HDR). Often games make the world either too bright or too dark and both GT and Forza do that in different circumstances. Most games do it, although I expect HDR may help that, but I have never seen a game played in HDR or even 4K and I don't plan on doing so for a long time either. Weirdly the game I found in my experience that got the closest to real life with the balance between light and darkness is Farming Simulator 19. The colouring wasn't amazing but day was realistically bright and night is extremely dark. I doubt it is a perfect implementation but honestly it's one of the few games that genuinely wowed me when I first saw its graphics. Another was Gran Turismo 4 running in HD or 4K; Rowdy's videos show how well that game has aged.

FM7 holds up pretty well to GT7 imo. There are still loads of times where GT7 looks better, but FM7 isn't too far behind.

It does do well all things considered. At their best they both excel and at the worst they're both very poor. Forza has always struggled a bit with the look of the pain being a bit too plastic looking and the general shading across the cars themselves cam make them look a bit out of place.
I think that, while GT7 ditched ray tracing in races when GTS had it, GT7 still looks better as the colouring is better most of the time. I did a comparison screenshot on Brands Hatch in the same conditions and with the same car and GT7 looked better solely because of its richer colours (this was on a PS4 without HDR). Often games make the world either too bright or too dark and both GT and Forza do that in different circumstances. Most games do it, although I expect HDR may help that, but I have never seen a game played in HDR or even 4K and I don't plan on doing so for a long time either. Weirdly the game I found in my experience that got the closest to real life with the balance between light and darkness is Farming Simulator 19. The colouring wasn't amazing but day was realistically bright and night is extremely dark. I doubt it is a perfect implementation but honestly it's one of the few games that genuinely wowed me when I first saw its graphics. Another was Gran Turismo 4 running in HD or 4K; Rowdy's videos show how well that game has aged.
GTS never had Ray tracing of any kind. Lighting is always going to be difficult for game developers to absolutely nail. Partly because it's a challenge but also because everyone has different eyes and expectations. Do you want cinematic lighting, natural real life eye level lighting, through the camera lens lighting etc. RTX is a step towards realism but only when used in a way that benefits the whole screen.

As if overcast weather is not dull irl, think about it
Who said I was talking about overcast weather. There are a multitude of situations in both game franchises thay look dull. Never said it was the dull conditions themselves..

You also need to remember that FM7 is from 2017 and based entirely off of a previous gen console. GT7 still looks way better in most graphical areas. One thing GT7 does quite well that Forza lacks, is car modeling accuracy. A lot of cars in Forza just look out of proportion.

One thing GT7 does quite well that Forza lacks, is car modeling accuracy. A lot of cars in Forza just look out of proportion.
I would argue that it's really down to the age of Forza's model. They unfortunately still use models as old as FM1, which are decently upscaled, but will look wrong to those who are familiar with the car. Newer models are pretty high quality, especially in Forzavista where you can open everything* and look around at the engine, trunk, back seat, etc.

*This is also not guaranteed, but it is true about 98% of the time. Note that if you swap the engine you can no longer look at it unless you swap it back.

Who said I was talking about overcast weather. There are a multitude of situations in both game franchises thay look dull. Never said it was the dull conditions themselves..
Show me screenshots, where supposebly GTS/GT7 looks dull in terms of lightning, please

I would argue that it's really down to the age of Forza's model. They unfortunately still use models as old as FM1, which are decently upscaled, but will look wrong to those who are familiar with the car. Newer models are pretty high quality, especially in Forzavista where you can open everything* and look around at the engine, trunk, back seat, etc.

*This is also not guaranteed, but it is true about 98% of the time. Note that if you swap the engine you can no longer look at it unless you swap it back.
That's still not an excuse to let them off the hook. Kinda like the GT5 premium cars vs standard cars just to brag about the car count in the game. Those models should be updated.

That's still not an excuse to let them off the hook. Kinda like the GT5 premium cars vs standard cars just to brag about the car count in the game. Those models should be updated.
At least Forza recycled models have interiors. But there are definitely more than a fee that need overhauls.

Back