Forza Motorsport to Introduce Reworked Car Upgrade System in March

• Thread starter Famine
  • 24 comments
I don't think its too bad of a system to be honest. I just hate being forced to do practice instead of qualifying as an artificial way of grinding.

For single player users, it wasn't bad at all. But for people trying to set up custom lobbies that require specific tunes to compete, it was a nightmare. IMO though, this took way too long to implement.

I don't think its too bad of a system to be honest. I just hate being forced to do practice instead of qualifying as an artificial way of grinding.

What I think they should do, is have a practice/qualifying session, and then let you move your starting postion behind for more credits and xp, maybe even let you move ahead for less.

What I think they should do, is have a practice/qualifying session, and then let you move your starting postion behind for more credits and xp, maybe even let you move ahead for less.
I could have sworn they do something like that already? I haven't played since release so I could just be completely wrong.

I could have sworn they do something like that already? I haven't played since release so I could just be completely wrong.

Right now you just practice and then you can pick a starting position from last to third with a sliding scale of rewards. No possibility of starting from pole and it's not really obvious where you even would have qualified if you were able.

They claimed this was to give players a sense of owning the car, which was clearly ********.

The actual point of this was to keep players engaged by wasting their time with grinding, then Esaki or Greenawalt can show their bosses the player retention numbers and pat themselves on the back. But luckily it blew up in their face.

Will light a candle in my window tonight for everyone who said it would never change, that it was here to stay, Forza is better for it, gamers are impatient or entitled, that everyone on the forums, on social media, on Reddit, on Youtube were all wrong, and are just complaining for hate-bait engagement or clicks.

RIP: Forza Motorsport 2023

Long Live: Forza Motorsport 2024

They claimed this was to give players a sense of owning the car, which was clearly ********.

The actual point of this was to keep players engaged by wasting their time with grinding, then Esaki or Greenawalt can show their bosses the player retention numbers and pat themselves on the back. But luckily it blew up in their face.
It was this, designing games around Gamepass might be why all their titles lately are struggling.

I might give it another try to see how it feels after this update though.

Will light a candle in my window tonight for everyone who said it would never change, that it was here to stay, Forza is better for it, gamers are impatient or entitled, that everyone on the forums, on social media, on Reddit, on Youtube were all wrong, and are just complaining for hate-bait engagement or clicks.

RIP: Forza Motorsport 2023

Long Live: Forza Motorsport 2024
They need to do something because the number of active users is pretty bad for steam. Not sure if you can see WS / Xbox user numbers. I haven't played in about 3 months. Maybe this will get me back to MP racing.

They need to do something because the number of active users is pretty bad for steam. Not sure if you can see WS / Xbox user numbers. I haven't played in about 3 months. Maybe this will get me back to MP racing.
Currently 549 players on steam. Sure people will argue that most players are going to be on Xbox or PC gamepass, but those are still horrendous numbers considering Steam is the #1 platform on PC by a long shot.

Meanwhile Forza Horizon 5 has over 18,000 people playing on Steam right now.

Last edited:
I would be fine if the max carlevel was dropped to 25 in the existing system.
If you hit 25 for three cars in the same brand, all other cars of that brand would level upp 5x-10x quicker.
Now give me more events and races instead.

Currently 549 players on steam. Sure people will argue that most players are going to be on Xbox or PC gamepass, but those are still horrendous numbers considering Steam is the #1 platform on PC by a long shot.

Meanwhile Forza Horizon 5 has over 18,000 people playing on Steam right now.
Honestly wouldn't compare it to Horizon at all. It's a given that it would vastly outrank FM by a longshot in all regards, simply because the casual care free nature of it. That said, I'm not sure we'd even have something comparable tbh.

Probably an idea sounded good paper then it was rubbish. Anyway least there listening and making changes but game needs alot of work. I’m still baffled how you wait 6 years in between and we get this mess. I love modern gaming I know that 🤣 (as edi would say that’s a joke, sarcasm 🤣)

Probably an idea sounded good paper then it was rubbish. Anyway least there listening and making changes but game needs alot of work. I’m still baffled how you wait 6 years in between and we get this mess. I love modern gaming I know that 🤣 (as edi would say that’s a joke, sarcasm 🤣)

It almost seemed like someone was trying to explain the concept of "built, not bought" to non-car people in a boardroom somewhere and this is where we ended up.

I didn't hate the concept per se but as is the case with many things in more games than just Forza Motorsport, the implementation was a bit puzzling. And not one game I've played before or since has beat Shift 2 Unleashed, for all it's flaws and faults, in the car upgrade department in my never humble opinion.

We'll never truly know, but I'd say it was MS pushing that decision more than anyone, as they don't have too many GAAS titles on Game Pass and wanted something that could keep player retention without forcing microtransactions. Could be wrong of course.

Anyway least there listening and making changes but game needs alot of work. I’m still baffled how you wait 6 years in between and we get this mess.
I've played a fair bit of a small indie developer game called Mechabellum, and honestly, they blow T10 away with how quickly they have moved the game forward, the way they listen to feedback and analyse data from the game to inform their decisions, and how they communicate their thinking and plans to players. It's a bit mad that a small indie company can do all that so much better than a MS-backed team.

Last edited:
The fact that they are small enables them to move quickly. Sometimes these large game companies run into corporate inertia where they have have meetings to discuss the changes needed, then they have meetings about the meetings and before you know 6 months have gone by🤣

Right now you just practice and then you can pick a starting position from last to third with a sliding scale of rewards. No possibility of starting from pole and it's not really obvious where you even would have qualified if you were able.
Best lap time from practice is shown on the Challenge the Grid screen so you can choose your starting position according to it. I think it's close enough to having actual qualifying session in every single race in the career mode.

Last edited:
In context, this is the right move. Now, I'm all for encouraging gameplay to unlock things, that's what gaming is about to a large degree, play, win, reward, repeat. The trouble for me with this system (and still somewhat likely afterwards), is that the game simply isn't that fun in single player.

Levelling and upgrading cars could have been enjoyable, if it was a fun campaign/career mode to play and it just isn't. So when the game already feels like a grind, and then you add grinding to get something integral to the experience, it kills everything.

Best lap time from practice is shown on the Challenge the Grid screen so you can choose your starting position according to it. I think it's close enough to having actual qualifying session in every single race in the career mode.
The admittedly somewhat badly worded point was that you had to go looking for the lap times, they aren't presented to you. And sorry, can't agree this is anything close enough to qualifying and it won't be until you can at the very least earn and start from pole.

Back