FOV Help

Australia
Australia
revhead_1000
Im trying to set up Project cars, and recently have been working on the field of view. Based on my set up the mathematically correct field of view is 41 degrees (its a living room setup). However testing this I've found that based on the small angle you have no peripheral and as such it is extremely difficult to hit the apex as you essentially can't see where you are directing the car. But using the default FOV of 80 deg. I can drive aright due to the peripheral allowed though this may be due to me using this view since I got the game.

As such I was wanting advice on what to do, and if anyone else has had a similar issue and if so how they solved it/worked around it. What is best for me in terms of driving quality? The 41 deg with no peripheral or the 80 that is not correct? Oh and I have a PS4 so multiple screens aren't an option. Thanks.

Im trying to set up Project cars, and recently have been working on the field of view. Based on my set up the mathematically correct field of view is 41 degrees (its a living room setup). However testing this I've found that based on the small angle you have no peripheral and as such it is extremely difficult to hit the apex as you essentially can't see where you are directing the car. But using the default FOV of 80 deg. I can drive aright due to the peripheral allowed though this may be due to me using this view since I got the game.

As such I was wanting advice on what to do, and if anyone else has had a similar issue and if so how they solved it/worked around it. What is best for me in terms of driving quality? The 41 deg with no peripheral or the 80 that is not correct? Oh and I have a PS4 so multiple screens aren't an option. Thanks.
The mathematically correct one from the calculator told me to use 30 something, which took away the entire dash view and taking corners looked plain weird like you say. I just settled for 60 now which gives a nice balance between seeing your surroundings and the track and looks realistic enough.

As with the others above, I use a relatively large fov at 70

That (for me) gives me what I want to see when racing

I don't use look-to-apex at all, I makes me feel queasy :ill:

As with the others above, I use a relatively large fov at 70

That gives me what I want to see when racing

I don't use look-to-apex at all, I makes me feel queasy :ill:

sorry for double post, a bit of wandering key finger going on

Since the start i've been using between 50-60 (correct is 48) However a couple of nights ago i tried 80 and like yourself op i was able to hit apex so much easier, Going back down again it's hard to figure out where to put the car. The major downside of 80 fov is the lack of windscreen you actually see more roof and dash than the road.

Giant Project Cars FOV thread Lots of good advice there.

Generally, FOV an "accurate" FOV works best if you are closer to the screen, ideally 48" or less. There are advantages and disadvantages to a more accurate FOV and the video in the thread above explains it well, but ultimately it's personal preference. For me, being able to see things on the screen at the same size, speed and perspective as real life, has made me a more accurate and ultimately faster driver compared to my previous console racing days with an unrealistically high FOV and the lack of mirrors doesn't bother me. I set around 45" from a 55" screen.

Thanks everyone.

No I dislike helmet cam so the head turn in isn't an option.

I found that thread after posting here. And also realised that I sit too far away for the FOV to be useful (based on the disclaimer in the calculator).

Johnnypenso how do you find sitting so close to such a big screen, because its the same size as I have but I sit 1.63 m (approx 65 inch).

I played around with the settings and so far I found that using 65 deg but have the sensitivity set so that at slow speeds it increases to 80 deg so I can see around hair pins and still hit the apex.

I played around with the settings and so far I found that using 65 deg but have the sensitivity set so that at slow speeds it increases to 80 deg so I can see around hair pins and still hit the apex.

Interesting...whats you settings for that?

Min sensitivity 125 (Thus it will make the FOV 1.25 times larger)
Max sensitivity 100 (Thus at speed FOV is the same as you have set for that camera)

Max speed 150 (This is the max speed that the decrease starts at)
Min speed 70 (This is the speed at which you will have the highest FOV at, FOV decreases from here as speed increases)

With a Field of view of 65, this means at 150 km/hr and greater your FOV will be 65. At 70 km/hr and less the FOV will be approx 80 (65 + 16.25).

Set the speeds to what ever suits you.

I found its pretty alright just takes a bit to get used, but is an interesting work around that gives you the realistic FOV but still gives you peripherial in tight turns.

Min sensitivity 125 (Thus it will make the FOV 1.25 times larger)
Max sensitivity 100 (Thus at speed FOV is the same as you have set for that camera)

Max speed 150 (This is the max speed that the decrease starts at)
Min speed 70 (This is the speed at which you will have the highest FOV at, FOV decreases from here as speed increases)

With a Field of view of 65, this means at 150 km/hr and greater your FOV will be 65. At 70 km/hr and less the FOV will be approx 80 (65 + 16.25).

Set the speeds to what ever suits you.

I found its pretty alright just takes a bit to get used, but is an interesting work around that gives you the realistic FOV but still gives you peripherial in tight turns.
Looking forward to trying it out later, I've been doing it the other way round ie; less FOV the slower and more FOV the faster however having more FOV at less speed makes more sense!

what I tried with my 40" TV and sitting about 30" inches from the screen, all FOV calculators say FOV pCARS cockpit view should be set at 65. now, i find that strange, because of the GT3 cars that i drive sometimes u don't see the MOTEC display or just barely, some of it, half cut (depending on car). now looking at videos of GT3 and interviews, they say MOTEC always in full sight just tiny look down (but not good).

so what to set FOV? (i am a PS4 user with a T100 wheel + 40" TV)

Solution? Well a triple monitor setup resolves almost all FOV issues.

As long as you can hit the apex without any problem, your FOV is correct enough. Widen the FOV until you have problems hitting the apex. The bigger the FOV, the less likely you will be able to hit the apex.

As long as you can hit the apex without any problem, your FOV is correct enough. Widen the FOV until you have problems hitting the apex. The bigger the FOV, the less likely you will be able to hit the apex.
Most of us are finding it the other way round.

what I tried with my 40" TV and sitting about 30" inches from the screen, all FOV calculators say FOV pCARS cockpit view should be set at 65. now, i find that strange, because of the GT3 cars that i drive sometimes u don't see the MOTEC display or just barely, some of it, half cut (depending on car). now looking at videos of GT3 and interviews, they say MOTEC always in full sight just tiny look down (but not good).

so what to set FOV? (i am a PS4 user with a T100 wheel + 40" TV)
Don't forget you can move the seat backwards and forwards. I sit around 2m away from a 42", my FOV is 60 and I adjust the seat on a per car basis until I'm happy with the amount of dashboard/motec etc I can see. Don't usually have a lot of the side window visible, I just use the windscreen.

Don't forget you can move the seat backwards and forwards. I sit around 2m away from a 42", my FOV is 60 and I adjust the seat on a per car basis until I'm happy with the amount of dashboard/motec etc I can see. Don't usually have a lot of the side window visible, I just use the windscreen.
So does moving your seat closer not affect the FOV?

Happy with my FOV, but there is still something missing...
I have recently seen a few triple screen demo's which totally convinced me.
Taking a step to PC and triple setup soon.

Most of us are finding it the other way round.
I guess the word "bigger" is a little bit confusing. I din't know how to put it exactly. With bigger, I mean a wider view, a bigger FOV value.

E.g.: with a FOV in pCars of 85, it is going to be more difficult of hitting the apex. A FOV of 30, is going to be easier to hit the apex. I'm not talking about sharp 90° turns. It was a general example.
Try it yourself. Choose a FOV of 100 and try to hit the apex every time. Then, choose a much lower FOV and do the same thing. You'll see that it is easier with a lower FOV value (e.g. 40) than with a bigger FOV value (e.g.100).
Nope, it does not.

I guess a little. I just got tired of constantly changing the FOV so the seat allows small adjustments within it. It's mostly the same, I don't move it about a lot, it's more to just get a bit more visibility of the wheel or rev light than for apex viewing as I use some look to apex anyway. Around 35 I think.

I guess the word "bigger" is a little bit confusing. I din't know how to put it exactly. With bigger, I mean a wider view, a bigger FOV value.

E.g.: with a FOV in pCars of 85, it is going to be more difficult of hitting the apex. A FOV of 30, is going to be easier to hit the apex. I'm not talking about sharp 90° turns. It was a general example.
Try it yourself. Choose a FOV of 100 and try to hit the apex every time. Then, choose a much lower FOV and do the same thing. You'll see that it is easier with a lower FOV value (e.g. 40) than with a bigger FOV value (e.g.100).

Yeah that's what i thought you meant, At 85 FOV i can hit the apex's no problem but any lower than 55 and i struggle big time.

Last edited:
Thanks everyone.

No I dislike helmet cam so the head turn in isn't an option.

I found that thread after posting here. And also realised that I sit too far away for the FOV to be useful (based on the disclaimer in the calculator).

Johnnypenso how do you find sitting so close to such a big screen, because its the same size as I have but I sit 1.63 m (approx 65 inch).

You can use the helmet cam view and turn off the helmet visual and if you have look to apex set to zero it's the same as cockpit. Try small increments of look to apex like 10, then 20 and see if that works. If not, it's just a button push to go back to cockpit or any other view.

I'm fine sitting that close to the screen but it does make me start to think about going to 4k:sly:. I've mentioned it a couple of times, but it did take some time to get used to a more technically accurate FOV but once I got accustomed to it I don't ever want to change. Was the same with cockpit view. In GT I used mainly hood cam, but when I switched to pc and Assetto Corsa it was cockpit and nothing else since then. Took time to adjust to the more limited view of the track but like anything else you get used to it.

This fundamental FOV guidance tells me that my key issue seems to be about 50" from the TV - I always struggle hitting the apex, but that's not a function of FOV that's just me still haven't found a decent racing line and sufficient patience yet. Guess it's hard driving like Maldonardo AND being good at project cars :dunce:

Looking forward to trying it out later, I've been doing it the other way round ie; less FOV the slower and more FOV the faster however having more FOV at less speed makes more sense!

How have you found it?

You can use the helmet cam view and turn off the helmet visual and if you have look to apex set to zero it's the same as cockpit. Try small increments of look to apex like 10, then 20 and see if that works. If not, it's just a button push to go back to cockpit or any other view.

I'm fine sitting that close to the screen but it does make me start to think about going to 4k:sly:. I've mentioned it a couple of times, but it did take some time to get used to a more technically accurate FOV but once I got accustomed to it I don't ever want to change. Was the same with cockpit view. In GT I used mainly hood cam, but when I switched to pc and Assetto Corsa it was cockpit and nothing else since then. Took time to adjust to the more limited view of the track but like anything else you get used to it.

Ah that is an interesting solution. Ill try that out next time I play. Thanks.

When I have vFOV of at least 55 and more in Assetto Corsa or a hFOV of 90 and more in pCars, which means that I have almost 180° virtual peripheral vision and I can almost see the inside of the car, the track ahead looks very narrow and every corner seems to be far away. Also the sense of speed is very high with a high FOV.

I read on the internet about FOV in race games, that it is very difficult to hit the apex, even in very fast corners, at higher speed. The article also said that when you are struggling to hit the apex, your FOV is set too high.
I tried it and the writer of that article is correct.

I'm having troubles with hitting the apex at a high FOV (AC more than 50 and pCars more than 90). The track is distorted when you set the FOV too high. And no I'm not driving too fast or I would have massive understeer or go off track.

When I sit very close to the winscreen (AC FOV of 24 and pCars about 55), I have no problem in hitting the apex. The track is no longer distorted, every corner seems to be very closer, just like in real life and I can hit every apex without understeer or going off track.

The problem is the peripheral vision with a low FOV, which is why a triple monitor setup is perfect. And ofcourse the sense of speed is much, much lower, which you can get use to.

Use FOV calculators to find out what is the best FOV for your monitor (= size) and how far you're sitting behind you monitor.

This FOV calculator is made especially for pCars.

When I have vFOV of at least 55 and more in Assetto Corsa or a hFOV of 90 and more in pCars, which means that I have almost 180° virtual peripheral vision and I can almost see the inside of the car, the track ahead looks very narrow and every corner seems to be far away. Also the sense of speed is very high with a high FOV.

I read on the internet about FOV in race games, that it is very difficult to hit the apex, even in very fast corners, at higher speed. The article also said that when you are struggling to hit the apex, your FOV is set too high.
I tried it and the writer of that article is correct.

I'm having troubles with hitting the apex at a high FOV (AC more than 50 and pCars more than 90). The track is distorted when you set the FOV too high. And no I'm not driving too fast or I would have massive understeer or go off track.

When I sit very close to the winscreen (AC FOV of 24 and pCars about 55), I have no problem in hitting the apex. The track is no longer distorted, every corner seems to be very closer, just like in real life and I can hit every apex without understeer or going off track.

The problem is the peripheral vision with a low FOV, which is why a triple monitor setup is perfect. And ofcourse the sense of speed is much, much lower, which you can get use to.

Use FOV calculators to find out what is the best FOV for your monitor (= size) and how far you're sitting behind you monitor.

This FOV calculator is made especially for pCars.
Well that calculator says I should be at 34 FOV, not the 65 that I'm currently using. I'll give it a go, but it's going to be very odd and I'm guessing with no dashboard visibility at all, and I like to at least see some of the dials.

I just did a test and changed the FOV in pCars to 105 and I wasn't able to drive properly, had problems hitting the apex and keep the car on track. It seems that my steering wheel (have to use my SRW S1 for the time being) is much less sensitive when using this wide FOV.

Then I changed the FOV ingame using the [ and the ] to 60, put the seat as far backwards as possible to lower the FOV as much as possible and still be able to see the dials and the ride was much easier, smoother, could hold the car on track and hit the apexes almost in every corner.

I think I know why some people have problems hitting the apexes with a low FOV. The sense of speed is much lower and thus people tend to drive too fast into a corner, understeering a bit and not being able to hit the apexes because of the higher speed.

I also read on the internet in the same article that most simracers use a FOV calculator and add 10. So if a FOV calculator says 34, make it at least 44. I don't know if this was for a vFOV like in AC or a hFOV like in pCars.

I always move the seat backwards as far as possible to be able to get an even lower FOV without losing side of the dials.

BTW, I don't use a FOV calculator, I adapt the FOV ingame while I'm driving and it all depends on the car I'm using. :D

Maybe I should get two extra monitors?

EDIT: spelling and forgotten words and other stuff!

Last edited:
I'd say that anything over 80 should be reserved for chase cam or the backseat cam. It has no use to be that high in one of the internal cams IMO.

@kikie: yes, extra hardware is always the answer (at least to have an excuse for it). :D

How have you found it?

Ah that is an interesting solution. Ill try that out next time I play. Thanks.
Yeah i found it! Works a treat! :)

Cockpit 60

Min Speed Sensitivity 125

Max Speed Sensitivity 140

Min Speed Sensitive Speed 50 (Imperial)

Max Speed Sensitive Speed 249 (Imperial)

Then play about with the angle, and seat forwards and up/down

I'd say that anything over 80 should be reserved for chase cam or the backseat cam. It has no use to be that high in one of the internal cams IMO.

@kikie: yes, extra hardware is always the answer (at least to have an excuse for it). :D
I so agree with this post! 👍

Especially the bold text. :D

Yeah i found it! Works a treat! :)

Cockpit 60

Min Speed Sensitivity 125

Max Speed Sensitivity 140

Min Speed Sensitive Speed 50 (Imperial)

Max Speed Sensitive Speed 249 (Imperial)

Then play about with the angle, and seat forwards and up/down

Seems pretty good, still when i drive in real car i still have more visibility...

I tried using the various FOV calculators but even measuring all at perfection the results are always very bad; like my real FOV is twice as narrow...

That is strange for they surely made some matematical calculations... That might be because when i drive in real life i watch and focus farther from the windscreen?

I'm really puzzled about this, it might be the ride height i use or how the car's internals are made? I mean when i drive i can see wheel a bit of left rear mirro and basically all or almost the windscreen without turning head. If i use the settings i get i mostly see left pillar and a tiny little bit of windscreen (like half?)....

I wonder what i'm doing wrong :P

Back