FOV Help

Seems pretty good, still when i drive in real car i still have more visibility...

I tried using the various FOV calculators but even measuring all at perfection the results are always very bad; like my real FOV is twice as narrow...

That is strange for they surely made some matematical calculations... That might be because when i drive in real life i watch and focus farther from the windscreen?

I'm really puzzled about this, it might be the ride height i use or how the car's internals are made? I mean when i drive i can see wheel a bit of left rear mirro and basically all or almost the windscreen without turning head. If i use the settings i get i mostly see left pillar and a tiny little bit of windscreen (like half?)....

I wonder what i'm doing wrong :P
Yeah for whatever reason no racing game has ever manged to get cockpit views realistic.

I have it set to 80 to see as much as I can without it looking too wierd. Its never going to be realistic as you dont drive with a sheet of cardboard in front of you with a 40" hole cut out of it. I think those of you with a 45 degree FOV are just shooting yourselves in the foot in the search of realism.

Perhaps they are the people on-line, bashing the hell out of me as they have no idea whats going on around them most of the time.

I lowered mine to 55 earlier, any lower than that and I sometimes can't see the wheel or dials, which I don't like. I also don't like having the corner of my screen blocked by the window strut part (don't know correct term) so I move my seat forward until it's mostly just windscreen. I pretty much never have the FOV wide enough to see out my side window.

I just want maximum unobstructed windscreen view and enough wheel/dash to see some dials etc. 55-65 seems good for that, along with look to apex.

Seems pretty good, still when i drive in real car i still have more visibility...

I tried using the various FOV calculators but even measuring all at perfection the results are always very bad; like my real FOV is twice as narrow...

That is strange for they surely made some matematical calculations... That might be because when i drive in real life i watch and focus farther from the windscreen?

I'm really puzzled about this, it might be the ride height i use or how the car's internals are made? I mean when i drive i can see wheel a bit of left rear mirro and basically all or almost the windscreen without turning head. If i use the settings i get i mostly see left pillar and a tiny little bit of windscreen (like half?)....

I think it is just in life you have your peripherial vision which your brain can process, whereas with a flat screen your brain just sees everything as a flat image as opposed to the curved image it really is such as what you have in a car. As such the correct FOV is what you would see if you are just looking straight ahead in your car and didn't have any peripherial vision.

A picture would help but you have to realize an FOV calculator is only calculating a straight mathematical FOV given your screen size and distance from the screen. It doesn't take anything else into account, like seeing out the side windows, mirrors, dash etc. That's where your individual cockpit adjustments come into play and potentially adding a few points to the calculated "correct" FOV to fit everything you want onto the screen. And the closer you are, the better it works. Once you're 48" or more away, the FOV really becomes too narrow for practical use with screens under 60-65".

I have it set to 80 to see as much as I can without it looking too wierd. Its never going to be realistic as you dont drive with a sheet of cardboard in front of you with a 40" hole cut out of it. I think those of you with a 45 degree FOV are just shooting yourselves in the foot in the search of realism.

Perhaps they are the people on-line, bashing the hell out of me as they have no idea whats going on around them most of the time.
I think mine is 50 in PCars and I'm very comfortable with that, no shooting in the foot here. I have no trouble being fast or hitting apexes once I'm familiar with a course.

Different setups, different FOV settings. When I'm on the couch playing on the TV, I have FOV at 70. When playing on my notebook I have it at 60. Chase cam I always keep at 90.

Watch this youtube clip. I have been looking for this information for the last couple of days and I finally found it, .. again.

This.

i still can't understand after all these years why a racing game can't have a fixed side mirror/view on the right side and left side of the screen so we can see what's on the side of our cars. Much like the rearview mirror they give us, one for each side too would be super useful for clean racing. Seems so obvious to me for virtual racing games, but i haven't seen one yet.

It may not be realistic to real life, but neither is a flat screen when emulating a 3-D peripheral world.

This

i still can't understand after all these years why a racing game can't have a fixed side mirror/view on the right side and left side of the screen so we can see what's on the side of our cars. Much like the rearview mirror they give us, one for each side too would be super useful for clean racing. Seems so obvious to me for virtual racing games, but i haven't seen one yet

It may not be realistic to real life, but neither is a flat screen when emulating a 3-D peripheral world
Indeed

You can have wing mirrors in rFactor but they're at the top of the screen, alongside the rear view mirror

not ideal but better than nothing

Indeed

You can have wing mirrors in rFactor but they're at the top of the screen, alongside the rear view mirror

not ideal but better than nothing

that would work perfectly. Anything to give us a view (optional to turn off, of course) on the side without hitting a button and losing forward view.

I'm not a PC gamer, so obviously i have never played rFactor, but maybe some day this feature will be implemented in pCars or GT7.

Back