Friday the 13th: The Thread

  • Thread starter Thread starter Anderton Prime
  • 32 comments
  • 1,480 views
Messages
2,760
I can't believe there isn't a thread devoted to the best horror series of all time yet!

Well, I'm starting it. I just got this book for my birthday:

0976543311.01.LZZZZZZZ.jpg



It's absolutely chock-full of everything you ever wanted to know about the movies, including the true stories behind the severely edited Parts VI, VII, and VIII.

Any fans out there in the GTP community are welcome to come in and post their favourite kills, favourite babes, favourite versions of Jason, favourite lines, moments, music, anything you want!

I'll nominate the sleeping bag kill from Part VII: The New Blood as best kill ever, so we can move on (because most people who have seen the entire series agree it's the best).

Post away!
 
Here is my opinion on FT13 -

On re-watching the original recently i came to the conclusion that its terrible!! lol, sorry, but it is. At least they had the sense to chop her head off, wich i dont think they have in any other horror film (except in H20).

The sequels get better, well some of them. I liked part V, even tho thats the fake Jason, i think thats the best FT13 sequel. But Jason X & Freddy Vs Jason are excellent i think. Ok maybe not excellent, but great entertainment. especially the actual Freddy n Jason fight, WWE times 20!!!

I have to say i prefer Halloween by miles. Especially the original, way better & genuinly tense (i dont feal tension). Plus the sequels are generally better (except the pointless no.3). Also Micheal Myers is way cooler, after all he can get shot in both eyes and still see and he is techinally human unlike Jason.

Hmm best death?? i love seeing Kevin Bacon get it, its just funny seeing a (now) big hollywood star in this kinda film. Or the girl in Jason X who gets frozen & then "smashed".
 
Kevin Bacon was in one of them!? Man, I should rent some of the old ones and watch them. My favorite, for some reason was one of the last one's they made. It has the guy from "Friday the 13th" TV series(nothing to do with Jason movies). He was driving a Landcruiser, maybe that's why I liked it. I think the one Jason goes to New York was pretty good also. I don't remember anything about the movie, however. :D
 
Which of the Friday movies had someone with a Land Cruiser? I can't recall, unless it was from Freddy Vs. Jason.

a6m5 I strongly urge you to watch parts I - IV, they are the best and most gory ones. Kevin Bacon is in Part I, and a young Corey Feldman (just before Goonies) is in Part IV.

I would skip part V altogether, even though 555 loved it above all the others. Jason is not really the killer, it's some guy wearing his mask and using his M.O.

Part VI is excellent, and has a real quality feel to it compared to the others.

Part VII is one of my personal favourites, because Jason looks the best in it, and it's the first time Kane Hodder plays Jason. In my opinion, he was the best Jason, playing the masked killer in Parts VII, VIII, IX and X. Here's a shot of his face from Part VII, all rotted and eaten away:

Jasonpart7.jpg
 
I forgot there were so many! I'm gonna start from the first one and go from there. 555 always makes an oddball selection. :lol: I found out which one was the one I liked. It was "Jason Goes to Hell". John D. LeMay was the name of the actor, who was from a TV series also called "Friday the 13th". It was really good show. Very similar to X-Files.
 
555
I have to say i prefer Halloween by miles. Especially the original, way better & genuinly tense (i dont feal tension).

Ditto, on I and II only. The music, the atmosphere, the tension buildups were great, and I like the fact he just appears as a simple human (before the horrible sequels.). It's a real classic and a precursor for the genre.

hall.gif
 
Yes, John Carpenter is a horror pioneer, I won't deny that. In fact, you'd be hard-pressed to find a bigger Carpenter fan out there. I've seen almost every one of his movies, with the exception of Dark Star, only because I cannot find it anywhere.

But Halloween, The Fog (original), The Thing, They Live, Big Trouble in Little China, Starman, Escape from New York, Escape From L.A., In The Mouth Of Madness, Prince Of Darkness, Body Bags, Christine, Assault on Precinct 13 (original), hell, even Ghosts of Mars and Village Of The Damned. I've seen every one of them.

Now, back to the Friday the 13th series!
 
a6m5 really?? Jason goes to Hell has to be one of the worst movie's i have ever seen. Nearly as bad as Freddy's Dead the final nightmare. Hmmm why is it when they try to end them, they make them rubbish! lol

V - i know its technically nothing to do with Jason, but it is a much better film than the other sequels.
Its so hard to remember what happened in what one, they all seem the same! lol.

My order of FT13:
Freddy vs Jason (if included)
Jason X
V
VI
IV
III
VII
VIII
II
I
Jason goes to hell.
 
Though the film was kinda cheap, his Uber Jason look from Jason X was very cool.
ft13thp10_5.jpg


I do also believe that Kane Hodder, played the best Jason. The original film with bacon was awesome.

although I prefer Michael Myers :dopey:
 
555, that is so crazy! I absolutely HATE Jason X, and part V is my second-most-hated one.

And I thought Freddy's Dead wasn't so bad, leagues better than the mess Renny Harlin made of Part IV: The Dream Master.
 
Its not crazy its my opinion. Jason X is by far the superior film, but its personal opinion as to wich film you found more entertaining.

I cant remember much about the nightmares, other than they got worse as they went along.
 
I wasn't being derogatory when I said your opinion was crazy. I recognize the validity of an opposing viewpoint, regardless of how crazy I find it to be. I'm sure you think I'm a bit wacky when I say I thought Jason X was the low point of the entire series!

The Nightmare movies were never that good in my opinion. Past Part II, Freddy began to become a parody of himself, and this culminated in Freddy's Dead, when the whole thing turned into a joke. But I found that if I simply started looking at it as a comedy, it worked better. The problem is that you're not supposed to laugh at Freddy. But oh well...
 
I saw the first one. I think the last time I saw this, I was in grade school! Guy at the blockbuster told me how the killer in the first one isn't Jason, so the whole movie, I was checking out all the people in the movie, how they might have been able to pull off the killing. :lol: Movie was alright. I did rent the second one as well, so I hope to see the hockey mask in that one. :D
 
The hockey mask does not appear until Part III; Jason wears a fabric sack over his head with one eye hole cut out. Somehow, that's pretty darn disturbing...
 
555
a6m5 really?? Jason goes to Hell has to be one of the worst movie's i have ever seen.
My personal favorite. Not exactly a classic. :lol:

I watched the Second one. It was alright for rental, I suppose. At least the "babes" were pretty hot. :D After watching it, I realized that I had never seen the Part II, so I'm starting to wonder if I've seen part III or IV before. I can't wait to see Corey Feldman in the fourth one.
 
i think the original texas chainsaw massacre beats all of them, mainly because its supposedly based on true events. but other than that i think nothing can beat a good zombie film. im just glad no one has said they thought the evil dead series was good. i liked jason X but it seemed so detached from all the ones before it, although it was about 10 years later.
 
I can't speak to ANYONE who thinks Jason X is anywhere near the Evil Dead series.
 
Certainly some of the most entertaining horror movies. 👍
 
Good Zombie Flicks>Evil Dead Series>Friday The 13th Series
 
Evil Dead, yes very good film. Evil Dead 2, no, absolutely terrible film!
From Evil Dead 1 to 2 has to be the weirdest departure in terms of style ever in a sequel!

Did anyone else know they are making a prequel to Friday 13th?? its suppost to be about the origins of Jason. How?? i have no idea!!

Also Robert Englund apparently said there is a film in the making combining Halloween, FT13th & Nighmare! again How?? or indeed why!
 
It's not so much a prequel as it is a re-imagining of the entire Friday series. Think Batman Begins.

As for Evil Dead 2, it's not exactly a sequel, but half sequel and half remake.

And no one is allowed to say anything bad about Army of Darkness!
 
Ye, Evil Dead II, made little sense as a sequel i thought. But then why was it called Evil Dead II?? shouldnt it have been called Evil Dead: the weird one.
Not seen Army of Darkness fully, but what i have seen on sky, it looks as daft as the 2nd one. Which in some ways is good, in other ways it certainly isnt.
 
It's just a good fun blend of horror and tongue-in-cheek comedy, with a pompous, brash and egotistical hero that you can't help but love.
 
i swear to god im taking crazy pills here. i have not met one person who DOESNT like the evil dead series. ok take evil dead 1. she gets raped by a tree and turns into god knows what, the guy slaughters them with a shovel...i cant even articulate the crap this movie is. it made no goddamn sense, it looked like it was some kids project in film school. the script was incoherent, some of the worst acting ive ever seen. some of the cheapest effects ive ever seen, it was obvious they were rubber dummies he was attacking. to be honest, i liked the movie, untill he started killing them. when that first girl turned into whatever she was and they locked her in the basement, i was into it. it had a creepy feel and i liked it. after that it was a disaster.
 
I was actually bit creeped out by that one. Then again, I haven't seen it in probably 10 years.

SS69
i swear to god im taking crazy pills here. i have not met one person who DOESNT like the evil dead series. ok take evil dead 1. she gets raped by a tree and turns into god knows what, the guy slaughters them with a shovel...i cant even articulate the crap this movie is. it made no goddamn sense, it looked like it was some kids project in film school. the script was incoherent, some of the worst acting ive ever seen. some of the cheapest effects ive ever seen, it was obvious they were rubber dummies he was attacking. to be honest, i liked the movie, untill he started killing them. when that first girl turned into whatever she was and they locked her in the basement, i was into it. it had a creepy feel and i liked it. after that it was a disaster.
It was super crappy, but it was also super low budget, with no real actors. I get the impression that it was borderline between a student film and a Hollywood B-Movie Feature. Your take on this movie reminded me of me with "Maximum Overdrive". Am I the only person who was let down by that so called "cult classic". :lol:
 
The first Evil Dead was good in a crap way. Evil Dead II was bad (but entertaining) because it was just so stupid. Army of Darkness just looks stupid.
I agree with you S69 on everything you say about Evil Dead, however its stil entertaining!

Cult Classic is just another word (or 2) for a generally bad movie or flop that alot of people like.
 
555
Cult Classic is just another word (or 2) for a generally bad movie or flop that alot of people like.

Yes, that's exactly the definition of cult classic. What else would you call a bad movie that people like because it's bad? The term "cult classic" is not an attempt to sugarcoat a bad movie and make people think it might be good. Anyone likely to enjoy a cult classic knows what the term is and what it implies, and all others who think otherwise should stay away in the first place, because they would only serve to disrupt and upset the cult.
 
yea i see what you mean thats how i am with clerks. me and only a couple of my friends really liked it, everyone else i ask hates it. i feel the same about donnie darko as i feel about evil dead. everyone thats seen donnie darko praises it but it was just a really horrible movie to me; then again im not a big jake gyllenhaal fan.
 
Back