From Logitech G25 to Logitech G27

• Thread starter kDizzie
  • 33 comments
LASlurpage
Hi Everyone,

I just want to start off by saying, I am new to the GTP Forum. I am however familiar with how forums work and more importantly, how to use the 'search' functions before posting :). This post is both to ask for input (that I could not find while searching endlessly) and hopefully solve some questions that many of you have. Please feel free to question, comment, and add/fix anything that I have stated.

Now on to the topic of this post:

I have owned GT5P since it launched and I purchased the Logitech G25 wheel at the same time. I have played with the G25 setup since day one and combined with GT5P, it was everything I've always wanted...and more. Just recently, I had my G25 exchanged (Best Buy replacement plan) for a G27. My intention was just to exchange it out for a new G25 because my other one was damage (Some not so gentle friends :ouch:). Anyways, they brought me the G27 box for exchange, not knowing it was a newer model. I immediately recognized it was a newer model and was ecstatic about getting it home and trying it out. I completed the exchange and I was on my way to hook up what I hoped, was just as enjoyable as the G25.

Upon first opening and connecting the G27, everything was just the same as the G25. The first differences I noticed were: better leather wrapping on both the wheel/shifter, the added buttons on the wheel, and the absence of the knob on the G25 shifter (that switches it from the H-pattern to the up-down shifter & paddle shifters). The shifter on the new G27, to me, is immaculate. The shifter has a reduced...if any, clicking noise that the G25 had. It is firm, smooth, and definitely a huge step up from the G25. The calibration process on the G27 is also very firm, smooth, and controlled. I always remember thinking the G25 was going to break while calibrating (at least mine?) haha. The RPM LED's are also a very nice addition to the wheel...but if your wheel is not eye level, or visible when viewing your tv/monitor, then it is really not useful (to me at least, until I get my racing seat :sly:). From searching these forums, I do know that the paddle shifters on the G27 are not compatible with GT5P, as of yet, and that Logitech is working on fixing the issue. My only problem with the G27, is the clutch pedal that does not work. This is something I enjoyed most when using the G25. I know with the G25, you had to press the triangle button, after the countdown of each start in a race in order to engage the clutch. This does not work with the G27, or is it just mine? <--(looking for help on this subject)
*I just figure, when the paddle shifters start working, the clutch pedal will also work (hopefully soon :)).* Or maybe my clutch pedal is broken? haha. If someone out there has a G27 wheel and has the same issue please let me know. I just need to hear that the clutch pedal is inoperable as of right now...because if it isn't, the I definitely have to exchange my G27 out :dunce:. The only other thing I have noticed with the G27 is the new 'helical gears' click when forcing feedback on a turn. For instance, when in a turn at a decent speed, the force feedback on the wheel pulls it the opposite way of the way you are turning, making it realistic of course, but you hear and feel the gears clicking, as if they are stripping each other. This clicking of gears only occurs on right turns for me. I did have the same group of friends that damaged my G25 wheel play using the G27 (definitely my fault, I know) but I don't know if this is something else other G27 owners are experiencing, or if mine had been damaged.
I just want to add, that the G25 and G27 are the only racing wheels I have used when gaming. Overall I am please with the G27 wheel; if the paddle shifters and clutch pedal worked, then I would have absolutely no problems with the wheel what-so-ever, and would live with the gear clicking :dopey:. This post was intended to both inform fellow racing wheel users, on my experiences with the G27 wheel, and hopefully answer any questions/concerns anyone might have had as well as gain insight on the questions/concerns that I have. Please feel free to question, comment, and add/fix anything that I have stated. I look forward to being part of this forum as I am a huge GT enthusiast and am hoping to meet all of you on the forum and on the track.

Thank you,
Kyle

Last edited:
.:UPDATE:.

I was mistaken, you definitely can use the clutch/paddle shifters with the G27. Maybe my PS3 needed a reboot or something? Or maybe there was an update of some sort.

The clicking of the gears in the wheel still does exist. I have done some minor tests with the wheel and there is something definitely wrong with mine. Other than that, the G27 is so much better. I have my friends G25 wheel at my house and I did instant transitions from wheel to wheel and WOW is it a huge difference in game. The G27 soo much better than the G25(still a great wheel though)

Kyle

I haven't heard of G27 'clicking' before this, and there are several G27 owners on PSN NA who have commented on it without mentioning clicking. Only one way also suggests it's a problem.

Thanks for the input clacksman. The clicking noise progressed yesterday as I was playing...then the wheel died =(. The wheel only turns left now and wont calibrate. I tried power-cycling it and everything but it is definitely broken. The internal gear design gave out, I'm pretty sure it was just a defective wheel from the factory. I will be exchanging it today when I get off of work. I will let let everyone know how the new one works out.

Kyle

Hi Everyone.

I have also a question regarding G27 with GT5 Prologue. I recieved mine today and I was the whole time trying to adjust setting to be able to play GT5 without having a hard Feedback Strength. I set mine on (1) and it still shakes and moves and Vibrates a lot and it's very hard to control the car, Now I know It has to do tsome vibration to feel real but I guess that was way too much and I can't enjoy the game this way, I also tried turning off and change most aof the settings to see if it helps but it didn't.

Now I don't know If I have a bad wheel or that the way it should be ?

If you guys could also share some of your setting on PS3 with GT5 that would be great.

Thanks .

kDizzie,
thank you for your post, it is really detailed. I've just got a G27 wheel. I started to play with it and I definitely have the feeling of a real wheel in my hands.

If I got you right you said that the shift paddles are working good.
Are you using them with GT5 prologue? I can't use them with it and I also know that it didn't work for other guys here.
Maybe you are referring to other games or maybe I missed some updates on this issue.

Please let me know
ARAR99

I am having trouble enabling the clutch in game. Im not to worried about paddle shifter but the clutch is important. I have tried hitting the top circle button on the shifter base (should corespond to the triangle) Pleas if anyone has step by step how to do this that would be great.

I am having trouble enabling the clutch in game. Im not to worried about paddle shifter but the clutch is important. I have tried hitting the top circle button on the shifter base (should corespond to the triangle) Pleas if anyone has step by step how to do this that would be great.

In GT5P it indeed works in game when you press the triangle button on the shifter module while having selected manual transmission. It worked for me :sly:.

Hi Everyone.

I have also a question regarding G27 with GT5 Prologue. I recieved mine today and I was the whole time trying to adjust setting to be able to play GT5 without having a hard Feedback Strength. I set mine on (1) and it still shakes and moves and Vibrates a lot and it's very hard to control the car, Now I know It has to do tsome vibration to feel real but I guess that was way too much and I can't enjoy the game this way, I also tried turning off and change most aof the settings to see if it helps but it didn't.

Now I don't know If I have a bad wheel or that the way it should be ?

If you guys could also share some of your setting on PS3 with GT5 that would be great.

Thanks .

Try those settings.
FFB :5
Powersteering : Off
and the other option set to simulation.

To the OP.
First, paddles and RPM meter don't work with GT5P but they work with GT5 Time Trial Demo which is a good sign that it will be fully supported in GT5.
Second, I've noticed a ''click'' in the FFB but even if you're smooth it happens, so it seems normal. But don't let your friends play with it :lol:

I hope it helps.

Well, there it is then.

lol

Man I hope it was only an isolated defect (the clicking) thought it looks like KACHING is seeing it too... That's my biggest fear with these things so :ill: hopefully the G27 doesn't turn out to be an R35 GT-R transmission.

Honestly my main reason for wanting a G27 over my DFGT or a G25 is the smooth, quiet gears. I always think I'm gonna blow my wheel up. So I'm def hanging back on this..

Thanks for the thread kDizzie

.:UPDATE:.

Hi everyone,

I finally had some time to setup my new G27 replacement wheel and use it. Just as LIL_KACHING noticed in his wheel, there is still a clicking noise coming from the internal gears inside the G27. I still only notice this when the FFB kicks in during a right turn. I guess it is something I am going to have to live with but other than that the wheel is great. Thank you for your input Fredzy and I hope this helps you.

For Evan Benlian: I haven't messed with any of the settings for my wheel so I am not much of a help there =/. I personally like the vibration and shaking in the wheel. A lot of people that use my wheel tend to let the wheel take control...but you have to hold the wheel tight and resist the shaking. These standard settings make it more realistic for me and that is what I like.

For RoadRunner99 and everyone: Thank you for your input on my first post. I have been playing the GT5P TT download consistently and the paddle shifters, on the G27 in the TT download work. I did notice that going directly from the TT download to the GT5P game, I was able to engage the clutch using the "triangle" button after the starting countdown. I did not test the paddle shifters in GT5P non-time trial, I will check this out later on today and let you know. I thought there might have been an update when downloading the TT off of the PS Store? Firmware of some sort for the G27? Let me know if that helps.

For P_Thomas22: With the G25 and G27(after downloading the GT5P TT) to engage the clutch in a race, I press the "triangle" button on the wheel itself after the starting countdown in each race. As long as the driving settings are set to manual transmission in the game and the car you are using is actually available in manual transmision in real life it should work. It has worked for me so far, I am going to test the G27 out again on GT5P later today and then post an update. Hope this helps you.

ronaldrover: When I was in Best Buy replacing my defective G27 wheel, it was on sale for $259.99 US dollars down from $299.99. This was before the holidays though...their website seems to be back at original price. They have weekly sales though so check out their ad or website every Sunday. Good luck.

Also, I want to clarify that the clutch cannot be engaged in the TT download. This has been disabled to make it even for everyone ranking online. The paddle shifters on the G27 do work on the TT download though.

Last edited:
kDizzie, I confirm that G27 shift paddles work fine on GT5 Indy TT. It is just a pity that they don't work on Prologue. I also tried to use some of the 6 red buttons on the wheel (it would be better than nothing) changing the assignment in the Driving Force Pro panel settings but it didn't work.

If I find something new, I'll let you know.

Thx for all your posts and time guys...I have a G27 also, its odd though with trying to get the clutch to work. What I was doing was during the rolling start, before the race started, I was holding down triangle...but with no success.
I will be sure today to try holding down triangle right after the countdown or at the beginning of the race.
I did do an online race that began in a grid, not a rolling start, holding down triangle did enable the clutch...the problem I am having is enabling the clutch in the races that begin in a rolling start...am I missing anything? ty ty

Ken, I recently upgraded to the G27 also. On the rolling start @ HSR, I just tap the triangle button once the race is actually underway. I have never needed to hold it down. Also, I really seem to have timing issues. When I'm upshifting, I sometimes miss getting it in gear. I guess I'm not releasing the clutch at the right time, or I just haven't calibrated my left foot to work with my right hand.

Bit slow getting in on the action here, but I've noticed that shifting from 1st to 2nd must be performed no quicker than a set minimum time, otherwise it won't go in. I think this may be to equalise players using different controllers on a standing start.

Thanks to all who contributed here, I think I've decided to keep hold of my G25 for a bit longer before upgrading - who knows what another year will bring?! :dopey:

I have the G27 and the clutch does not work and the Led's on the steering wheel dont work (although they light up when it calobrates). When I go into nuteral it stays in the last gear I was in. Ive looked through all of the settings and cant find a way to make it work. Is it an update Im missing??? Please help.

Cam

Edit:

Ok I pressed triangle button on roll out and I now have a working clutch. Still no led's on the wheel though and the paddle shifts dont work. The left side of the controls on the wheel show rear view but the right do nothing???

Last edited by a moderator:
I don't have g27 but in g25 you need to set the shifter to sequential mode for the paddle shifters to work.

I have the G27 and the clutch does not work and the Led's on the steering wheel dont work (although they light up when it calobrates). When I go into nuteral it stays in the last gear I was in. Ive looked through all of the settings and cant find a way to make it work. Is it an update Im missing??? Please help.

Cam

Edit:

Ok I pressed triangle button on roll out and I now have a working clutch. Still no led's on the wheel though and the paddle shifts dont work. The left side of the controls on the wheel show rear view but the right do nothing???

The Paddles and LED's don't work with GT5 Prologue no matter what you do. They do work on GT5 TT Demo so I'm sure they'll work with GT5 comes (maybe two or three years...:rolleyees:. Regarding setting up the buttons on the steering wheel: GT5P recognizes the left three as L2 and the right three as R2, so you have six buttons for two functions. If you need help on how to map them I made this thread a while ago, you might find helpful stuff HERE.

First Hi to everyone here this is my first post :)
Got a G27 3 days ago and its fantastic, in reply to the OP i've not noticed any clicking from the gears it feels silky smooth the whole time. It was irritating not being able to use the paddles at first with GT5P, but i'm starting to prefer the H shifter now as it feels more natural(except for the F1 2007).

Ive got the G27 and i cant get the paddle shift to work, only H-box also clutch doesn't work like with the G25 when your press the triangle button...

I don't have g27 but in g25 you need to set the shifter to sequential mode for the paddle shifters to work.

My friend, my G27 doesn't work for GTP now. It worked well previously. How could I set the shifter to sequential mode? Thank you in advance.

My friend, my G27 doesn't work for GTP now. It worked well previously. How could I set the shifter to sequential mode? Thank you in advance.

When you say it doesn't work for GT5P do you mean the paddle shifters, because they have never worked for GT5P with G27? Your post suggests your wheel doesn't work at all in which case you should get a replacement under warranty.
The sequential shift mentioned is for the G25 only.

When you say it doesn't work for GT5P do you mean the paddle shifters, because they have never worked for GT5P with G27? Your post suggests your wheel doesn't work at all in which case you should get a replacement under warranty.
The sequential shift mentioned is for the G25 only.
Dude, thanks for your reply. My G27's metal plates behind the wheel did work for my GT5P before. But, now, it doesn't work. How could I solve it?

Latest Posts

Back