From PS4 to PC - Looking for Opinions

• Thread starter speedy10
  • 7 comments
Argentina
Argentina
Hi guys...
I have been looking for differents opinions about this change for weeks, and now I would like to ask you in this forum
After 1 year playing sim racing games on Ps4 (dirt rally,dirt rally 2.0, Assetto Corsa, Projec Cars 1, Project Cars 2, GTS) I realized that I love this kind of games and would like to introduce myself on Sim racing world - despite I´m not a fast person, I do my best.
Fortunately, I could create my own space on a room, with a logitech g29, playseat cockpit and a 43' Samsung Full HD TV.
Knowing this, now I´m thinking to buy a PC (Ryzen 5, 8GB RAM, vega 11 graphics card (for now)) so I can run this kind of games - AC, Project cars 2, hoping to run ACC and rfactor 2. NOT iRacing for now.
So I come here to know your opinions, pros and cons, and my best concern is if it´s worth the change.
All your suggestions would be appreciated!

Depends on what you want from it, PC Land is a very different world and it was a major shock to my system after years on the console and five years later I still haven't fully gotten over that. The biggest negatives for me were:

1. You better be good at trouble-shooting PC problems because you'll likely be doing it a lot. Most of them are small, finicky problems but it's not at all uncommon for me to have to spend 15 minutes screwing around with stuff before I can even start driving. And with the myriad of different system configurations out there it can sometimes be difficult to find solutions to the problems. It's not as scary as it sounds and eventually you learn how to fix the random things quickly (unplug/replug device, reinstall driver, verify game files, etc.).

2. There are many different racing games on PC, unfortunately that leads to a lot of tribalism and a split community. Some people play this game, some play that game, some play a different game, so an already small group of players is split between multiple games and it can be hard to get people together for a race.

3. The tribalism referenced in point 2 results in a whole lot of forum arguments and pissing matches. It's not uncommon for a thread to start off with good intentions and then five posts in it devolves in to various pointless arguments about why this game sucks and why that game is more realistic or whatever. It's silly and pointless and has largely driven me away from the community that I was a proud part of for over a decade.

4. Some things you're used to on consoles typically aren't seen in PC games. Decorating your car, for instance. Most games give you some preset liveries but if you want to make something custom you're gonna need Photoshop skills. You can download other people's custom liveries but a lot of times you can't use them online without jumping through some hoops so if you're a big online racer they can be not worth the effort. No customizing or upgrading your car, no built in voice-chat for online multiplayer, a lot of games have only a token career mode if they have a career mode at all so you gotta kinda DIY your own one-off racing scenarios.

5. Did I mention the ridiculous forum pissing matches? :rolleyes:

That being said, there's still a lot of fun to be had. Games like Assetto Corsa support mods so you can usually find just about any car/track combo you want (or something reasonably close) and the large majority of them are free. You can get into text files and tinker with certain parts of the game to make them work how you want or turn things on/off, etc. You can build your own championships, create custom grids, more control over the AI behaviors and track conditions, proper VR (it's awesome!), the flexibility to mix and match hardware like using a Thrustmaster wheel with Fanatec pedals, and of course a whole lot more hardware options. You may end up with a condition known as GAS (Gear Acquisition Syndrome). :D

Is it worth the change? I think the majority of PC players would answer with a strong "yes", and I could be among them. Don't let my list of negatives scare you, you need to be aware of them going in but for the most part they're not a real issue or a deal-breaker and after a little while they fade into the background. Hope that helps! 👍

@BrandonW77 thanks a ton for your time and reply. I really appreciate it.
What about regarding game prices? I´m from argentina, and ps4 games are really expensive (since they are in USD).

Um, no idea what the exchange rate is or how that works but typically PC games are a little cheaper than consoles, but not always. You can usually get Assetto Corsa with all the content for around $20-40 I think, whereas new console games are usually around $50-60. And you can get old games for real cheap, on a Steam sale several years ago I got a pack of old SimBin racing games (GTR, Race07, GT Legends, etc.) for like $6 or something like that and it had at least a half dozen games in there. The other end of the spectrum is flight sims where you can pay $50-100 or more for a single plane. :eek:

There are many different racing games on PC, unfortunately that leads to a lot of tribalism....The tribalism referenced in point 2 results in a whole lot of forum arguments and pissing matches. It's not uncommon for a thread to start off with good intentions and then five posts in it devolves in to various pointless arguments about why this game sucks and why that game is more realistic or whatever...Did I mention the ridiculous forum pissing matches?

For some people, sim-racing/gaming is like a :censored:ing religion, & you'd better not criticise their "god" or you'll be in for a mouthful. I've even heard of someone getting death threats simply for comparing one game to another. Human beings tend towards defending that which they love, but some unsavoury characters take it the extreme.

:crazy:

A nice thing is that certain PC components are at their lowest prices now that they've been for several years, since certain companies are still reeling from the Bitcoin market crash.

Back