From real life to GT5: Update - 300 SL @ Ring

• Thread starter Cano
  • 35 comments

Cano

Premium
Mexico
Cephiro
Some people that wander off the GT5 section of GTP know me, I’ve been here for years and years, and many of them also know this, but for most people here I’m a relative new comer, so here are the facts: I work as a photographer for various car magazines over here in Mexico, some of my real-life work can be seen in my Flick account, which would be bigger if I remembered how to log in:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/bodecito/sets/72157625124682765/

So, when I found out about GT5’s Photomode, I approached it with a bit of a “yeah, right” attitude, but it turned out to be way more fun than I thought. It took a while to get used to it and discover what each thing does (specially because my game is in iberic Spanish, not latinamerican, so some of the translations are pretty odd), but I’m getting there.

Following is a sampling of the many pics I’ve taken now. You will rarely see a static photoshoot in location from me because, well, that’s what I do in real life, and frankly, even with all the potential of the Photomode, it isn’t even remotely close to the real thing. And most of the locations (at least as far as I’ve seen) plain suck. The plaza in which the little train passes by… heck, NOT A SINGLE CAR PHOTOGRAPHER would choose that place as a location, EVER.

I much prefer taking in-race pictures. Don’t think wrong, I also do track duty as a photographer and it’s way fun, but it’s way cooler what you can do with the impossible settings and placement of the GT5 camera on-race than what you can do at a static shoot, which is exactly what you can do in real life. Some of my track work can be seen in this Photobucket album:

http://s320.photobucket.com/albums/nn326/Bodecito/track days/Pachuca/

However, given my vocation as a real-life photographer, I don’t like to stretch reality neither. You won’t find wild editing in this gallery, with weird colors or HDR stuff nor something like that, not even some of the extreme angles that you sometimes see in some shots (though that is achievable today with rig technology), just plain straight exercises in composition that I cannot normally do in real life –lacking a rig is sad- and much less so in the middle of a race.

After the long introduction, this thread will feature random samplings of my time loss in Photomode, at least until I figure out how to organize my shots, by car? By track? By whenever the heck I take pictures? Any suggestions welcomed.

And oh yeah, don’t expect to see too much exotic stuff. I like mostly old cars, some of them very, very unpopular, and most of them non-premiums, so bear with that.

The very first picture I took in Photomode.
GrandValley-Este.jpg

LagunaSecaRaceway_5.jpg

DeepForestRaceway_3.jpg

AutumnRing-Mini_4.jpg

CapeRing-Exterior_3.jpg

Oops.
NrburgringNordschleife_1.jpg

Eifelpista.jpg

SuzukaCircuit_1.jpg

GrandValley-Este-1.jpg

More to come as stuff unfolds. Enjoy and shoot (:

Last edited:
Awesome, I'm going to stick with this, looks like the start of an awesome gallery 👍 The Honda Z Act thing and the Honda City look the best I reckon

Thanks everyone for the comments, I know it’s not much, but it WILL get better, I’ve become more familiar with the Photomode features so the pictures have steadily improved.

And by popular request, here are more of the Z-Act and the City turbo (amazing car btw, everyone should try the damned thing, it’s like a go-kart with a box on top, you barely take your foot off the pedal!):

Same placement as the OP picture, just close:
AutumnRing-Mini_3.jpg

AutumnRing-Mini_2.jpg

I really liked this:
AutumnRing-Mini.jpg

DeepForestRaceway_1.jpg

DeepForestRaceway_4.jpg

DeepForestRaceway_5.jpg

DeepForestRaceway_2.jpg

DeepForestRaceway_6.jpg

And a token Dome-0:
DeepForestRaceway_7.jpg

More to come!

I would like to see you experiment a bit with premium cars and photo travel, still, it looks good. 👍

You can tell you are a Photographer in real life :D great Start.Oh and Since you are really good at English why not change the Game language to it ?

I would like to see you experiment a bit with premium cars and photo travel, still, it looks good. 👍

I just went to Kyoto with my Cobra and my 70 Challenger, Sub-lime really pops with the simulated strobe-lights in night-Kyoto:
LagunaSecaRaceway_6.jpg

I'll pass the pics to the PC soon and put them here.

You can tell you are a Photographer in real life :D great Start.Oh and Since you are really good at English why not change the Game language to it ?

Ah, it's good to know that you can actually tell such a thing. As for changing languages, CAN YOU REALLY DO THAT? I had no idea. Of course I'll look into that, all of the car stuff I know is in english, in spanish some things are plain wrong or missing, and even worse bein' iberic. I'll look into it. Thanks a ton.

Last edited:
Ooh, these are very nice. I'm going to make a contract with this thread, and become a follower! /人◕ ‿‿ ◕人\

Ooh, these are very nice. I'm going to make a contract with this thread, and become a follower! /人◕ ‿‿ ◕人\

haha, coolest response! one down, several more to come, hopefully. I need them energies.

Thanks all for the replies and warm welcome, everyone. I'll be putting up some stuff in a couple hours.

And @ Grrlpurple, what I actually enjoy are off-beat cars and old cars in general. I'm actually contemplating beating the k-car race in this:

TsukubaCircuit_1.jpg

I've managed 4th bone stock. A 10k turbo should do the trick.

Nice shots, Especially of the Honda City. Oh and great real photos to, I also enjoy real photography as a hobby, heres my Flickr Photostream if you wanted to check it out.. Ever tired re-creating one of your own shots in GT5?

http://www.flickr.com/photos/corvetteboy3/

I'll check out your stream, from a first look I can tell you have your stuff well put together. I'll let you know.

As for recreating one of my shots in GT5... well, I hadn't thought about it, but I might as well try. In my static shots I always imprint my style -mostly long-glass, sun-facing shots- but maybe I can get a car or two I have photographed in real life and try to recreate stuff. Intresting excercise, will try indeed.

Here are some more, this time my Rustang, which is completely stock... for now.

GrandValley-Este-2.jpg

epic sky is epic:
LagunaSecaRaceway_5.jpg

LagunaSecaRaceway_1.jpg

lol, no posi:
LagunaSecaRaceway_2.jpg

LagunaSecaRaceway.jpg

And then this one:
GrandValley-Este_1_copia.jpg

Which looked like this straight out of GT5, rather dull. After 3 minutes of photoshop, it's eyes were open and the colors popped really well.
GrandValley-Este_1-1.jpg

And yet ANOTHER token Dome-0:
DeepForestRaceway_8.jpg

The Z-Act pictures are great! I know I have that car but haven't driven it. Always nice to see standards, and you capture them well. ◕‿◕

That (Blu?) Mach1 looks great as well. 👍

Thanks bunchs, everyone seems to like the Sub-lime Challenger, so the next update will include it, I’ve got several pictures of that one, even some in Photo Travel, as someone asked.

Also, @ Ceiling Fan, drive the Z-Act, it’s fun because it’s so slow you really can go to the limit, I’ve never used the brakes with that car.

For now, some ‘86 action:
TsukubaCircuit_4.jpg

TsukubaCircuit_3.jpg

TsukubaCircuit_2.jpg

TsukubaCircuit-1.jpg

TsukubaCircuit_1-1.jpg

TsukubaCircuit_9.jpg

Mopar update:

First I had this Superbird, it will see action later on, and will be painted:

AutodromoNazionalediMonza_1.jpg

AutodromoNazionalediMonza.jpg

The SRT8 Challenger I got as a prize car somewhere, here with stock-color BBSs, they became black soon after, pics later:
CircuitdelaSarthe2009_3.jpg

CircuitdelaSarthe2009_2.jpg

CircuitdelaSarthe2009.jpg

CircuitdelaSarthe2009_1.jpg

Then, my 70 Challenger with it's stock hood, way before I started developing it into the monster it is today:
LagunaSecaRaceway-1.jpg

playing a bit with the cold filter:
LagunaSecaRaceway_1-1.jpg

Aaaand a token 8C which isn't mine, it's the car you drive in one of the special events; I edited the horrid smoke texture pixelation:
EigerNordwand-Circuitocorto_2.jpg

EigerNordwand-Circuitocorto_1.jpg

EigerNordwand-Circuitocorto.jpg

I'll have much more soon, I've been playing like a maniac lately.

Nice update, I love your use of panning mode 1 on the 70s Challenger 👍 Makes it look that much more aggressive :D

I'll confess that, when I took these, I had not found the other panning functions, as the spanish translation for the word isn't exactly right, so I hadn't figured it out (and I keep forgetting to change the game language), BUT! that is not to say I don't like it. It is the most agresssive mode indeed and, in fact, the closest to real life, as you are bound to get blur depending on how close you are standing to a moving car when you pan in real life. You'll never achieve something as with the second Superbird picture for instance, but the pan shots of the Challengers look plenty real in that aspect.

Thanks everyone for the comments so far, next up will be some Mercedes at the ring.

got damn this place has cobwebs and mice and a layer of dust so thick you can cut it with scissors. 4 flats too.

I've been busy. But I finally took some time to put some stuff up. I promised some Mercedeseseses at the Ring and here they are, the cars you use in the AMG Academy, an event I enjoyed a lot. This time we'll have the 300 SL, but I also shot the SLS (or whatever it's called) a lot. Hope you enjoy the comeback.

5925487366_0859a5cf48_b.jpg

5925487834_da4d0f1e4a_b.jpg

5924933483_57e6c78f38_b.jpg

5924924793_fcbe076d1a_b.jpg

5925492978_55f6a182cb_b.jpg

5924930731_7edfa104bc_b.jpg

5924930313_cf50fdd9c8_b.jpg

5924929805_88be40bcaa_b.jpg

5924929215_75569a8713_b.jpg

5925489890_2f8a144e1c_b.jpg

Back