Fuel Saving Is Making Races Boring

• Thread starter Woodybobs
  • 36 comments
I don't enjoy it, yet I usually lose positions in the pit cause I'm too lazy to short shift and am at the mercy of AT. Plus fiddling with the fuel map during the race, having to switch radar on and off is annoying. Sometimes I scroll the wrong way and mess up TCS instead... It severely restricts which cars I can drive in race C and remain a bit competitive.

Plus what I don't like is people setting a hot lap in a fast car to qualify high up, then pick a fuel efficient car to do a no stop while holding everyone up for as long as possible.

The fact that you even have to refuel during a 20-mile race is kind of ridiculous anyway.

I get why they want you to have to refuel, to simulate having to make a pit stop. However, I find it to be silly for a 4 or 5 lap race that totals somewhere between 20 and 30 miles.

If you want more realistic stops, you have to make the races a lot longer, IMO.

I will typically avoid Race C in Sport Mode because of tire wear and fuel consumption. In my opinion, it should only be active for races that are at least an hour in length with realistic consumption values. Currently, it feels like your tires and fuel runs out way too soon and resource management takes priority above anything else; in particular, driving skill.

F1 has been referred to a couple of times, so, I have to ask...
Has racing in F1 been more exciting since the introduction of restricted injector flow rate, restricted total fuel consumed during the race, and no refueling during the race?
Some are probably too young to remember, some will say "well the cars are faster now"... and yes, mechanical and fluid technology (air is a fluid) has made them faster, along with the addition of an electric power source... but the question is not "are they faster", the question is "are the races more exciting?"...

I'm going to go ahead and say the resounding silence is the answer to @Woodybobs question...
Yes, fuel saving is making races boring.
So far most people are disagreeing. However, most of those are saying fuel saving is part of racing. I agree with them. There has to be a limit as to how effective fuel saving is, and I think we've gone way beyond it. Whether it's because slipstream is too effective or fuel saving is too effective the tactic is so OP it's making a mockery of racing for position.

Last edited:
So far most people are disagreeing. However, most of those are saying fuel saving is part of racing.
Yep, it's a part of racing, but, like you say, and like my point regarding F1, there is a point where it is part of racing, then, there is a point it defines the racing.
There has to be a limit as to how effective fuel saving is, and I think we've gone way beyond it. Whether it's because slipstream is too effective or fuel saving is too effective the tactic is so OP it's making a mockery of racing for position.
100% agreement.

Latest Posts

Back