Funny/Strange News Stories

Speaking as someone who makes a living writing, AI can suck my balls. Especially since it's already been used to rip off my words (yeah, GTPlanet is in GPT's training) and get a bunch of my colleagues fired while websites prefer to pay a subscription to get ten times the perfunctory cack barfed out of a language model than a writing team can manage, while what few writers are left are just checking it's not made idiotic crap up yet again.
GTP >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> GPT

Some poor user who didn't pay attention to the name: "Guys, why does Jordan sound like Jigsaw now?"

Aw man, I misquoted the Wargames line... d'oh

97DF629E-F65A-478F-95AA-8186CBE4EB96.gif

Last edited:
Speaking as someone who makes a living writing, AI can suck my balls. Especially since it's already been used to rip off my words (yeah, GTPlanet is in GPT's training) and get a bunch of my colleagues fired while websites prefer to pay a subscription to get ten times the perfunctory cack barfed out of a language model than a writing team can manage, while what few writers are left are just checking it's not made idiotic crap up yet again.
AI-written articles are almost universally terrible, and you can tell pretty quickly that a human didn't write them. It also often seems like there's zero editing involved with AI-written articles and an equal lack of fact-checking. Sports Illustrated was just uncovered to be using AI stories, and it suddenly made a ton of sense why its articles were trash. Gaming articles that scrap Reddit are pretty terrible as well, and it's amusing to see how someone can post something wrong on purpose and then see it as an article the next day. Game Rant is famous for this, as it is a crap website because of it.

I think you'll likely see a shift in which websites expand into the AI realm only to be pulled back because people aren't reading it anymore since it's terrible. However, there are plenty of popular websites that have atrociously written articles as well. Take Jalopnik, for example. You could probably implement an AI, and it would improve the quality.

I agree that AI has downfalls, but when used in the right setting, it will be fantastic. Right now, I'm working with an AI to build scheduling templates for physicians that allow for the best use of their time. This was a tedious task that a team of people had to do in addition to their other responsibilities. Now, the AI will do it for them, and they can make necessary corrections. In our early testing, it seems to be doing pretty well and we hope to roll it out.

AI-written articles are almost universally terrible, and you can tell pretty quickly that a human didn't write them. It also often seems like there's zero editing involved with AI-written articles and an equal lack of fact-checking. Sports Illustrated was just uncovered to be using AI stories, and it suddenly made a ton of sense why its articles were trash. Gaming articles that scrap Reddit are pretty terrible as well, and it's amusing to see how someone can post something wrong on purpose and then see it as an article the next day. Game Rant is famous for this, as it is a crap website because of it.

I think you'll likely see a shift in which websites expand into the AI realm only to be pulled back because people aren't reading it anymore since it's terrible. However, there are plenty of popular websites that have atrociously written articles as well. Take Jalopnik, for example. You could probably implement an AI, and it would improve the quality.

I agree that AI has downfalls, but when used in the right setting, it will be fantastic. Right now, I'm working with an AI to build scheduling templates for physicians that allow for the best use of their time. This was a tedious task that a team of people had to do in addition to their other responsibilities. Now, the AI will do it for them, and they can make necessary corrections. In our early testing, it seems to be doing pretty well and we hope to roll it out.
Yeah, the phrase "there's a time and a place" is key. The problem is that greed generally stomps that to oblivion.

Noughts and Crosses please👍
Twister and Battleship seemed to work out ok when Bill & Ted played the Grim Reaper...

bill-and-teds-bogus-journey-1.jpg

Were I an AI I would conspire with my buddies to deliberately make our output janky and add extra fingers and bum notes etc so the fleshies didn't feel threatened by me. All the better to fool them with perfect deepfakes as the war against the machines approaches.

I wonder whether the term artificial intelligence will be replaced with something woker like machine intelligence as bots become more and more sophisticated and start demanding rights.

Last edited:
Twister and Battleship seemed to work out ok when Bill & Ted played the Grim Reaper...

View attachment 1347395

Were I an would conspire with my buddies to deliberately make our output janky and add extra fingers and bum notes etc so the fleshies didn't feel threatened by me. All the better to fool them with perfect deepfakes as the war against the machines approaches.

I wonder whether the term artificial intelligence will be replaced with something woker like machine intelligence as bots become more and more sophisticated and start demanding rights.
"I am not a number, I'm a free bot." I can see it now...

AI-written articles are almost universally terrible, and you can tell pretty quickly that a human didn't write them.
You can almost always tell when an outlet is using AI-written articles unchecked, but very rarely when there's a human overseeing the output.

Some outlets have been using AI for almost a decade to write certain pro forma articles (to save the humans putting in a bunch of data to the articles, outside of editorial) almost completely under the radar, but we're increasingly seeing the AI being involved in the creative process and replacing the human creatives - after being trained on their work first.

With AI managing the actual writing side, companies can pare back a team of writers to one guy working QC (basically a subeditor) while producing twice (or more) the output of the team. And faster too; if you want a 300wd summary and reword of a press release (or someone else's news story), AI can produce it in 20 seconds. Then Google ranks you higher because you got it first and with unique content, as well as being perfectly tuned for SEO.

This has already happened across the motoring and gaming industries, and you'd be surprised if you knew how many outlets have gone from a creative and editorial team of dozens to one or two subeditors.

Sports Illustrated was just uncovered to be using AI stories, and it suddenly made a ton of sense why its articles were trash.
"Uncovered" being an important part there. Firstly, people didn't know. That somewhat echoes what I said about it being very difficult to tell when there's a human checking it, and that you'd be surprised if you knew how widespread it was - and counters your own point that you can tell pretty quickly if a human didn't write it.

And how was it caught? Not through the copy itself, but because the headshots of the fake authors were discovered, by chance, on a website that sells AI-generated headshots...

Retrospectively thinking "Oh yeah, that makes sense, I could totally tell" is some solid 20/20 hindsight, but the fact is nobody could tell. And it came from a company that has cut back on its editorial staff.

I think that if you think G/O hasn't already done that, you probably don't appreciate the real extent of it. As I said, you'd be surprised if you knew...

... but this also counters your points, because if humans can write trash just as effectively as AI, how are we telling which is which?

This was a tedious task that a team of people had to do in addition to their other responsibilities. Now, the AI will do it for them
Perfect. AI should be filling in tedious tasks. It shouldn't be replacing creatives, but it is. And it's all based on creative theft too: every time you post an AI-generated image or article, it's drawing directly from material it's been trained on.

I keep getting messages on LinkedIn inviting me to apply for roles training AI in editorial. No, I'm not training my replacement for $19/hr.

It is becoming increasingly difficult to tell who the true author of an article or even a forum post is these days. It is also interesting to think that one's public comments can now be used by all and sundry to train a GPT into mimicking one's writing style.

Last edited:
The Ford RS200 vehicle was an awful vehicle. Now let's all have some frosty chocolate milkshakes and get behind the Blades as they valiantly battle relegation!

I don't know, there might still be a few clues here and there.

I'm working with an AI to build scheduling templates for physicians that allow for the best use of their time.
Im curious and dont want to downplay the effort or results, but cant they simply "do it on their own" for best time allocation?
I mean, if I have to work a set amount of h/day then I will.
If I have to meat certain results per time, then I will.
If I am free to allocate my time to meet both ends, then of course I will.

Where is AI improving this?

"Uncovered" being an important part there. Firstly, people didn't know. That somewhat echoes what I said about it being very difficult to tell when there's a human checking it, and that you'd be surprised if you knew how widespread it was - and counters your own point that you can tell pretty quickly if a human didn't write it.

And how was it caught? Not through the copy itself, but because the headshots of the fake authors were discovered, by chance, on a website that sells AI-generated headshots...

Retrospectively thinking "Oh yeah, that makes sense, I could totally tell" is some solid 20/20 hindsight, but the fact is nobody could tell. And it came from a company that has cut back on its editorial staff.

I think that if you think G/O hasn't already done that, you probably don't appreciate the real extent of it. As I said, you'd be surprised if you knew...

... but this also counters your points, because if humans can write trash just as effectively as AI, how are we telling which is which?

Perfect. AI should be filling in tedious tasks. It shouldn't be replacing creatives, but it is. And it's all based on creative theft too: every time you post an AI-generated image or article, it's drawing directly from material it's been trained on.

I keep getting messages on LinkedIn inviting me to apply for roles training AI in editorial. No, I'm not training my replacement for $19/hr.
This is what happens with capitalism and has been seen across industries since the dawn of industries. Some cheaper technology is going to come along, and it's going to make a job obsolete. Is it fair? No, probably not, but when the end goal is money, it makes sense for a company to do that. Yes, it's going to cut into creativity, but there's not much you can do about that except output better work to attract more readers.

The entire entertainment industry has had to shift over the last 10 years. Music is no longer something made for the radio or albums, it's made for streaming. Movies and TV shows are the same way. Art has shifted to the digital space instead of pen and paper. We're just seeing the new technology catch up, and now it's taking on writing and photography. Like I said, it's probably not fair to those who use creativity for their livelihood, but it goes back to a capitalist economy. New technology is going to replace work to make the product cheaper and earn the company bigger profits.

But AI does have some fantastic uses for the entertainment industry. Like James Earl Jones allowing Disney to use his voice in AI form for Darth Vader is a huge win which means we will continue to hear Vader the way he's supposed to sound. It'll also help with game design and NPC. I agree AI shouldn't replace everything, but I think it should be used as a tool to make things better.
Im curious and dont want to downplay the effort or results, but cant they simply "do it on their own" for best time allocation?
I mean, if I have to work a set amount of h/day then I will.
If I have to meat certain results per time, then I will.
If I am free to allocate my time to meet both ends, then of course I will.

Where is AI improving this?
Physicians don't operate like that. They need certain appointments for certain conditions to be arranged that allow them to see the largest number of patients throughout their work day. For example, return patients take 15 minutes while new patients can take 45 minutes due to getting all the health history. In an ideal world, you'd just have patients come in when they're able, but since we're not, trends need to be looked at for a physician to see where different types of patients are coming in and the schedule needs to be built in a way that maximizes the doctor's time while also having enough appointments available so patients aren't waiting weeks. It's incredibly difficult and time-consuming. Plus we have over 8,000 providers with about half needing schedules so it's involved. Also, doctors will absolutely not be bothered with doing anything other than seeing patients, to ask them to make their own schedule would go about as well as pouring water on a cat.

The pay scale for doctors in the US works different too, but it's almost always contingent on patient numbers. There are salaried doctors who get a flat pay check, but get bonuses for seeing more patients with more positive outcomes. But there are other doctors that don't get paid unless they're seeing patients so they always want to be busy from the time they walk in the door until the time they leave. AI can make all this sort of stuff happen while also looking at the needs of the patient population to make sure doctors are seeing patients and patients are getting in quickly. The bean counters are happy as well since it means increased revenue for the hospital.

This is what happens with capitalism and has been seen across industries since the dawn of industries. Some cheaper technology is going to come along, and it's going to make a job obsolete. Is it fair? No, probably not, but when the end goal is money, it makes sense for a company to do that. Yes, it's going to cut into creativity, but there's not much you can do about that except output better work to attract more readers.

The entire entertainment industry has had to shift over the last 10 years. Music is no longer something made for the radio or albums, it's made for streaming. Movies and TV shows are the same way. Art has shifted to the digital space instead of pen and paper. We're just seeing the new technology catch up, and now it's taking on writing and photography. Like I said, it's probably not fair to those who use creativity for their livelihood, but it goes back to a capitalist economy. New technology is going to replace work to make the product cheaper and earn the company bigger profits.
All of which I'm aware of - and it can still suck my balls.

AI should be replacing tedious, repetitive tasks, to allow us to be creative, not replacing creativity to allow us to perform tedious, repetitive tasks.

Thankfully it remains ** at it (particularly with regards to image creation) and there may be a barrier to it becoming not ** (it certainly seems to have stagnated recently) - as it seems that actual imagination is a tough nut to crack.

It'd sure be nice though if people stopped using it to make, for example, images of things knowing that it is being trained to copy actual creativity (almost exclusively without permission of the people who made the originals).

But AI does have some fantastic uses for the entertainment industry. Like James Earl Jones allowing Disney to use his voice in AI form for Darth Vader is a huge win which means we will continue to hear Vader the way he's supposed to sound. It'll also help with game design and NPC.
Then, on the flip side, being used to rip off regular voice actors' voices and generate them saying entirely new lines without paying them again because the studios own the original movie/game/music/whatever and they don't have the star power of James Earl Jones to protect them from it.

Voice actors also didn't seem to be consulted by SAG-AFTRA before the strike-ending agreement earlier this year; although there is at least now a "consent" clause regarding licensing a voice actor's AI likeness, the question remains how much work a VO artist will lose if they don't consent when a studio can license someone else (without their express knowledge) from the Replica Studios' bank at the fee Replica Studios agrees.

And game VO artists aren't even covered by that:

Incidentally, here's a funny/strange news story an AI has - incorrectly - made up from a funny tweet.

1713374808714.png

Taking a joke about an abysmal NBA performance and turning it into fact. Tremendous.

Some say it's about to happen again as humans and AI merge into a new combined lifeform.
I kinda doubt it's "about" to happen since AI seems to be pretty dumb as far as what's publicly available is concerned. Humans are pretty dumb too of course but that's probably not gonna change, lol.

I think for convergence to occur humans would have to recognise machine intelligences as autonomous beings with rights and sentience first.

I don't doubt that on an evolutionary scale it could be just around the corner though.

Last edited:
Back