Future GT Drift Expectations

• Thread starter AlfaRomea
  • 33 comments
I know there is a topic about expectations for GTHD but I was wondering if you guys could give some your thoughts about a drifting game type in the future of Gran Turismo. Just give any input about what things you would like to see if a drifting game type was placed in Gran Turismo.

- I would suggest that actual licensed drift cars and more advanced controls would be added. Things such as a clutch and cockpit view would add to the realism of Gran Turismo as well as drifting as a whole.

*I know this could qualify for GTHD but I did not intend for this thread to be specifically directed towards Gran Turismo High Definition. If the location of this thread bothers anyone please by all means move it if you wish.

This really should be in the GTHD forum like you said.

But I would also like to see more D1GP and Formula D cars. And having a clutch would be a pretty cool feature. I would really like PD to fix the smoke in the next GT. The smoke should last for more than a couple seconds.

Just like I said when GT3 was winding down and everyone was hyped up about the release of GT4:

No drift mode please! If included it will undoubtedly make use of a rehashed physics model written by caged monkeys weeks before delivery, with the intention of making drifting easy. ...and that's just not fun. Think drifting in NFSU.

Keep GT as a racing series and just continue to improve on the physics. That's all we need to be able to drift successfully - well, that and N tires. It should not become a separate race mode, and it most definitely should not be a requisite to finishing the game.

I agree with what your saying Boundary. I don't think that the physics need to be rehashed to support drifting at all. I think it would be cool on the other hand if there was a drift race type that gave credit for hard earned skills and hours of tuning. Of course I would not want it to be at all like the Need For Speed drifting, thats just fake and the point system is too arcade like. Think Formula D, Tarzan Yamada, drift judging etc. If EVER made I would really want it to be thought out as much as possible with no short comings.

sounds like your looking for a drifting championship game....like d1gp....Gran Turismo was an official sponsor for the d1gp series this year so maybe that means more licensed cars! only PD knows for sure.

Expectations: not much at all...

Hopes: More "complete" physics, better smoke, body kits like GT2, more twisty (driftable) tracks, better replay control (like a photomode for motion replays) and progressive scan support on the PAL version...

Ske
Expectations: not much at all...

Hopes: More "complete" physics, better smoke, body kits like GT2, more twisty (driftable) tracks, better replay control (like a photomode for motion replays) and progressive scan support on the PAL version...

this and only one more thing would be my perfect GT, more colors.
I like to have some uniqueness in cars.

A paint shop would be nice... Oh, and the ability to change tire size...but now we're closing in on NFS territory. Substance > style, after all.

Just like I said when GT3 was winding down and everyone was hyped up about the release of GT4:

No drift mode please! If included it will undoubtedly make use of a rehashed physics model written by caged monkeys weeks before delivery, with the intention of making drifting easy. ...and that's just not fun. Think drifting in NFSU.

Keep GT as a racing series and just continue to improve on the physics. That's all we need to be able to drift successfully - well, that and N tires. It should not become a separate race mode, and it most definitely should not be a requisite to finishing the game.

Amen to that.

Just get that blasted eternal understeer out of the engine and make a more realistic center of gravity(for doughnuts) and I'll be happy. :)

Just get that blasted eternal understeer out of the engine and make a more realistic center of gravity(for doughnuts) and I'll be happy. :)

Forgive me for what's about to come Swift, but I simply cannot resist.

Seems to me I recall you commenting about donuts and the GT4 physics once before... now how'd it go again?

I still don't know what the big deal is with donuts. I just don't get it. I'll never do them in my car(when I get a FR/AWD). But there are a lot of people on this forum that are rather upset about it.

Someone explained to me before that it's strange that you can drift but can't do donuts. I guess that's true, but since I have no desire to spin around in a circle that thought never crossed my mind. :indiff:

:D:D

heh, I'm very suprised that I remembered where to look for that.

Forgive me for what's about to come Swift, but I simply cannot resist.

Seems to me I recall you commenting about donuts and the GT4 physics once before... now how'd it go again?

:D:D

heh, I'm very suprised that I remembered where to look for that.

I still stand by that. However, if the physics model is improved to include donuts, then it will improve the overall handling while drifting and racing for that matter.

Nice find. 👍

I still stand by that. However, if the physics model is improved to include donuts, then it will improve the overall handling while drifting and racing for that matter.

Yep, the donuts themselves aren't the problem... the fact that you can't do them however suggests something is very wrong somewhere in the mechanics of the game.

Lower price? Meh, it's a one-time investment... I'll easily pay $whatever a game costs when I know I'll keep playing it for 5 years.

Ske
Yep, the donuts themselves aren't the problem... the fact that you can't do them however suggests something is very wrong somewhere in the mechanics of the game.

Aye. From a stop, stomp on the gas pedal (with aids off). Torque should push the rear out, but, if I recall correctly, it doesn't (I've been grip driving, so it's been awhile since I've wanted to spin the tires). If they do get it right, drifting will likely have a very different feel.

Ske
Lower price? Meh, it's a one-time investment... I'll easily pay $whatever a game costs when I know I'll keep playing it for 5 years.

GT4 has amazing entertainment value and longevity for me, thanks to this website (drifting, 300 MPH club, 80 gold club, 200 club, etc.) Hopefully the next GT will offer the same...though 5 years for one game might be a stretch for me.

I'm starting to wish GT became cross platform. PS3 rollout (delays, HDMI fiasco, price, etc) hasn't made me a Sony fan. I'd get a PC version, but I doubt I'd buy an XBox 360 for that port, since XBox 360 games will likely end up on the PC anyway.

Physics and more realism (smoke, graphics detail, etc.) should be expected. More content (tracks, cars, customization, etc.) should as well. That will satisfy me.

GT4 is still the more dominant console sim race game out so far, in terms of offering a realistic feel and look to how drift should and look. But what i'd like is what everyone else wants, better physics and more cars etc... In the near future, i hope to some more D1 cars, but also other famous street drfit cars,
Nissan A31 Cefero, 4 Door Skyline GTS and basic GTS coupe and my fav the Toyota family cars, JZX100 chaser and JZX90 Tourer Mark II. Another thing, is that i find that i run out of steering lock, making tight drifts hard, i'd like to see how D1 Grand prix has influenced the GT world, not just cars, but tuning.

Well, with the rumors ( might be wrong ) that prices for cars are around a dollar and what not but anyways ways whats the price for the console ( this was off topic)

(on topic) I want the fun factor of drifting thats all, and we might need offcial Aero Kits(* note that I didn't say bodykits)

$550 to $650 CDN depending on hd size. that will keep me from playing GTHD for quite some time, I think...

heh same here. might have to wait a year for prices to drop. but screw gthd. im not paying for cars i want. ive got nearly 300 cars in my gt4 garage, some as collectables, alot tunned, and alot of the same car in a different color/state of tune. so if i wanted 300 cars in gthd that would be a min of 300x.40 thats 120usd JUST for cars. im sorry, but if gt5 is going to make you buy cars also, screw that, that will almost turn me away from buying gt5.

Earlier on this thread you guys were saying vinyl and body kits would be NFSU-ish.
Well honestly Forza didn't do a bad job at that at all and it still turned out to be a good Track simulator so it GT could steal a couple things from that it would be nice.

Earlier on this thread you guys were saying vinyl and body kits would be NFSU-ish.
Well honestly Forza didn't do a bad job at that at all and it still turned out to be a good Track simulator so it GT could steal a couple things from that it would be nice.

yeah the paintshop from forza wasnt that bad. and the aero kits helped in different ways, and for the most part werent ugly or anything.

I agree with BL on the whole idea of adding a drift mode to the GT series. I like the fact that it's a racing simulator, but you can take a car and change some settings to get it sideways.

There are some things I would like to see.

Like Thatman and Suzuki have said, Forza did a really good job with the whole car customization. I have been playing it a lot recently, and you can make the cars you own. I especially like the fact that you can change the cars colour whenever you want.

There is smoke in GT, but no skid marks. I know it's not a big deal, but it does look more realistic when you go sideways in Forza and there are marks to prove it. :)

I didn't play much GT3, but one thing I did notice was all the wheels you purchased were stored, you could then go to any car and pick from the wheels you already own. I thought that was a great idea.

Another thing about customization, I think there should be body kits. Not crazy NFSU ones, but ones like Forza. It can make some cars look a whole lot better in my opinion. I also don't see why you can put spoilers on cars, but you can't take them off. I think the S15 looks soooo much better without a spoiler. It spoils it. :D

I know not all of them are associated with drifting, but that's a few of my thoughts. :)

I think you should be able to choose 'Drift' tyres in Arcade Mode again, I used to have a blast with them on GT1 and GT3. I never actually played GT2, it's on my to-do list though.

I'd like to see some more D1GP cars, perhaps even a D1GP league (similar to the All Japan GT Championship in the Japanese Hall), where the other AI Cars drift as well.

I think you should be able to choose 'Drift' tyres in Arcade Mode again, I used to have a blast with them on GT1 and GT3. I never actually played GT2, it's on my to-do list though.

I'd like to see some more D1GP cars, perhaps even a D1GP league (similar to the All Japan GT Championship in the Japanese Hall), where the other AI Cars drift as well.

There was no Drift Tires but there was a Drift Mode in GT3

Hmm a "drifting" mode would cheapen GT in the sense that the physics are geared towards drifting which is kinda dumb considering the way a car handles is dependent on the car and it's settings, it's not like you drive your car from your house, then you get to your favorite drifting spot, and say, Ok..let me hit the big red button that says drifting and all of sudden your a drifter, it's even more dumb to think if you play sim mode the car doesn't drift, then select the exact same car with the exact same settings in drift mode then all of a sudden it's a drift car; Get what I'm trying to say?

Adding more courses that are popular in the D1 world would be a nod to the people that drift in GT4, I was very suprised when they Added The D1 Tunner cars, and I guess that's there way of saying "Hey..we know you guys drift in our game".

What they SHOULD do is keep making GT with the mind set as real as possible as a car simulator, making it possible to change any minute detail in how the car drives, looks come 2nd to that, adding some personaitly in your car isn't a bad thing, its not cheesing up GT just use real life mods and it adds to the realisim (changing a whole car from stock body to an all fiber glass body would change how a car handles ect.) just keep it realistic i.e blitz kits stay with the cars there ment for. If they just give us the drifters tools to do what we love in this game, every thing else falls into place (how anal they want to get with those tools is up to them), you don't need a mode to let us drift.

This game is from japan, where drifting is part of there culture so I'm almost positve they know drift fans play this game. and they will keeps us in mind.

To be honest for the best possible gt you would have to mash all the good bits from the previous games and add new (Upgraded) physics i like the paint shop and aero kits idea i would love to see skidmarks as long as they where realistic. ran turimso HD will have a lot more cars i would like to see some tuned cars.
Thats my opinion having played every single Gran Turismo i still think it is the BEST racing simultator even though every car gets understeer.
Great Discussion guys!

To be honest for the best possible gt you would have to mash all the good bits from the previous games and add new (Upgraded) physics i like the paint shop and aero kits idea i would love to see skidmarks as long as they where realistic. ran turimso HD will have a lot more cars i would like to see some tuned cars.
Thats my opinion having played every single Gran Turismo i still think it is the BEST racing simultator even though every car gets understeer.
Great Discussion guys!

nice post, the only challenge is we're talking about the future of drifting in the next GT game. Not all the things we want to see in it. Go to the GT HD forum for a lot of threads on that subject.

Back