FWD in PCars

• Thread starter Torg22
  • 15 comments
United Kingdom
Southend
For the sake of wasting a few minutes on a quiet day at work I thought I would see what your thoughts are on FWD cars in motorsport?

Without looking at the official list of cars (from the top of my head) I can only pick out a very small handful of Front Wheel Drive cars in the game. Other than the obvious Clio Cup, what else is there? There is a Renault Megane and perhaps a Ford Focus, or is that 4WD?

Although I am 100% excited by the release of this game and it looks excellent in general I cant help but feel it need some more FWD at some stage as DLC, along the lines of current touring cars. Would love to re-enact the BTCC for example and have a nice mixed bag of FWD and RWD in a race at the same time. I for one love racing FWD and think it adds a different dimension to racing and requires different skill sets.

For the inevitable FWD onslaught, as an argument check this out! Without FWD we wouldn't see saves like this :bowdown:

Yeah I took love the different dynamic that FWD's bring. Its true that there are not that many FWD cars in PCARS, and the obvious area to add more (from a racing point of view) would be something like the BTCC or similar.

I remember an Epic Save (again same corner at Brands) by Jason Plato, smoke was pouring off the tyres as he gunned it to bring the front back in-line.
I'm sure :sly: they (SMS) have plans of future DLC along these lines... but they may not all be FWD, BTCC has had its share of drive trains in the past!

In fact if we think about it, they probably have enough of the support cars to replicate a full weekend...
Ginetta
Clio
Formula
Porsche
Touring Cars...

Now there's an epic idea!!!

Yeh I mentioned that in some facebook post a few weeks ago. All the BTCC feeder series seem to be in the game, the only omission is the Touring cars.

Theres been some fantastic saves in the btcc over the years and Plato seems to be a part in many of them.

I use to race FWD in RacePro a lot and loved it, it makes for ultra close racing where contact is possible without spinning.

while yes there aren't that many you will generally find Fwds in road car based series such as touring cars. anything that is purpose built for racing will most likely be rwd. The gtr-lm nismo is fwd because of aerodynamics and is the exception to the rule.

I'm a sucker for hot hatches (have owned several in the past), and the Mégane RS (I also owned one of those, though mine was the 2011 250HP Cup version instead of the 265) is one of my favorites in the game. 👍 FWD is very well modelled in Project CARS, contrary to a certain other game, where FWD is completely borked. :lol: So if you're used to that other game, be prepared for a shock. :D

Not half, to date it is my favourite racing game and poo'd all over Forza in terms of an authentic motorsport experience! Funnily enough it was the Accord that I used to use in online championships!!

Gran Turismo turned me right off FWD cars. Assetto Corsa turned me back on.:sly: I think Project Cars will be along the lines of AC and although I still prefer other drivetrains, a smattering of FWD's is a good thing for any game with good physics. A few race cars would be a great addition.

The Mégane RS in GT6 is completely borked, basically an understeering slab of concrete. IRL, it's absolutely not, especially with the Cup Chassis/LSD. It's extremely lively and neutral all the way up to the limit, yet it's smooth and predictable. You can be really blunt on the throttle when accelerating out of a corner without any understeer. Project CARS replicates that quite nicely. If you're new to sims, want to drive with aids off and want to pick a car that's very forgiving, yet fun to drive, the Mégane RS would be it.

The Focus RS is also a blast to drive, but (like RL) it's better on the straights than the corners, because it tends to understeer with all those horses on the front wheels. ;) The 5-cylinder is a blast though, also very fun and easy to drive.

And then the Clio Cup Car. That's a different beast: it may be FWD but it will break your confidence like a twig, because it's definitely a race car and will punish bad behavior accordingly (lift-off oversteer can kill you). But it's awesome to drive once you've mastered it.

And then the Clio Cup Car. That's a different beast: it may be FWD but it will break your confidence like a twig, because it's definitely a race car and will punish bad behavior accordingly (lift-off oversteer can kill you). But it's awesome to slide once you've mastered it.
Fixed! sliding a clio cup down paddock hill is extremely fun & rewarding.

Yeh I remember that and the Jordan Plato incident. I can't believe some of the angles you can pull out of by flooring the gas :)

Back