G27/G25/(DFGT?) - Undocumented wheel lock settings - Guide

• Thread starter OdeFinn
  • 275 comments
Finland
Finland
OdeFinn
Found three undocumented settings from G27, one of them removes deadzone from center, is this "we know it already" stuff and no need for topic at all?

Personally haven't know it before.

Instructions later if people think at this is something what they want to know.

G27_UDG_mini.jpg

[1+2] + O = ~670°
[1+2] + S = ~450°
[1+2] + X = 900° Resets to default
[1+2] + T = ~240°

1 and 2 buttons goes down almost same time, I have used order 1-2 and then selection without any specific delay, then releasing selection key and also 1 and 2 buttons.
*After many tests can say at just hold 1+2 down and then select TSOX-mode which you want to use.
Have done it everywhere, on track, on menus, so doesn't matter where, only doing it after wheel calibration, 'coz calibration resets these modes.
If you keep small tension on wheel when switching to 0deadzone mode you feel small *klak* and movement of wheel.
After successful mode change you feel it when turning wheel toward lock, there will be a FFB-engine powered lock what you feel on chosen radius.

I have figured this out yesterday so not much testing yet, hopefully somebody have time to test this also on PC, 100% sure at it will have effect on PS3.
Hardware coded feature, works on PS3 and PC.

G25 confirmed also to work same as G27
Works also on DFGT (1=start 2=select) (some works, some not..weird)

If you like it please tell me it also, and if understanding better some of those modes please tell here it also and we'll update this post.
(c)OdeFinn (lol)

Edit 2017: Edited image link to local picture. Once in four year maintained.. :)

Last edited:
How can we know of it's been posted if you didn't post it for us to see? I know nothing about it. Please post it asap.

Haven't tested yet on else than GT, it is built in feature of g27 (felt like it).
There was one setting what disables centering spring, other disables deadzone, and third I didn't understand what was effect, made super quick turning.

Im on phone (@work), will update OP when back home.

Now there is Guide on OP how to switch those modes, method is not 100% sure at first press, have learn more, but on my tests switching was successfully at least on third pressing.

Will be trying this out sometime today.

A question; Does the setting limit the physical rotation of the wheel or cause the in game car to reach steering lock with the designated amount of rotation? Has anyone tried the different settings in a time trial to see what the game reports was used?

Ok. That was two. ;)

If this works in GT5 it would be a very nice addition. Or even older GT games that don't support the G27. I will also be testing this out later.

It works. I am in GT5 now at Monaco with an F2007. In cockpit mode you can watch the in game steering wheel lock and the front tires hit lock.

I have power steering enabled in the global wheel settings.

Upon Initiating the "1+2+T" setting, it takes, from G27 wheel center (joggled a little to get in game wheel centered) about 70-80 degrees of movement to get the in game wheel to it's lock and another 30-40 degrees for the front tires to hit lock. The G27 steering gets seriously stiff when the tires hit lock.

"1+2+S" From G27 and in game wheel center - in game wheel stops at G27 wheel approximately 110-120 degrees of movement, tires lock at G27 200-210 degrees of rotation.

"1+2+O" From G27 and in game wheel center - in game wheel stops at G27 wheel approximately 170-180 degrees of movement, tires lock at G27 300-320 degrees of rotation.

"1+2+x" From G27 and in game wheel center - in game wheel stops at G27 wheel approximately 220-240 degrees of movement, tires lock at G27 420-440 degrees of rotation.

I used no instruments to measure these values, just eyeball guesstimations.

And while you can move the wheel past it's set "lock" position doing so will not gain you more steering angle in game and it will be much harder on your wrists to work the wheel past lock.

It seemed to take at least 2 tries at the button combo for the setting to stick and sometimes the in game wheel would jump slightly off center when it did stick.

Big thank you to Odefinn and piscota for posting this up. 👍 :cheers: Will hit one of the time trials at some point this weekend with a reduced setting to see if it changes the report there.

I have no other racing games to try this on but I suspect it's a button combo programmed into the G27 by Logitech and not software dependent. I could be mistaken.

• Lock setting appears to reset after PS3 reboot.
  • Lock setting retained after exiting and re-entering track.
  • Lock setting retained after room exit and rejoin
  • Lock setting resets after game exit & restart

With the above list in mind perhaps my first impression was mistaken and it is software dependent.

Last edited:
I would imagine it is not software dependent. When you exit the game, and start the game, the G27 calibrates, this resets and internal setting in the wheel. Also, on the pc. This may work, however, must games will switch the steering settings to match whatever the car you are driving has. Also, the logitech software does as well. And it uses the motors to create the lock, which is why it gets very stiff.

Great find Odefinn! This is going to bring a whole new experience to gt5.

The reason I say it is software dependent is that you have to have a game loaded before the button combo will have any affect and it resets after the software (game) is exited. Your assessment seems correct to me Rally regarding the G27 recalibrating each time a software package is loaded. I think it would be better if the setting was hard coded at the wheel hardware level, instead of after a device (PS3 or computer) and/or software reboot.

No big deal really since the settings are pretty easily recognizable once your in game and you can adjust on the fly as you will. And yes I agree this will add some new life to GT5. Drifting might even be possible for the likes of myself.

Funny you say that. I just loaded gt5 up to test it out, and my first test will be in my drift car.

Ok, just took this out for a try, and the verdict, its great! going around from T,S,O,X, my test bed was the premium RX-7 Spirit R set up for drifting. Since this is what I've struggled with the most since changing from my old Logitech Momo wheel to the g27, I figured this would be a great starting place.

T was 180 degrees. way way to fast for effective drifting. Watching the driver yank his arms around keeping up was entertaining though

S was 210 degrees. Perfect amount of turning for F1, you can go from lock to lock fast, but not to fast. and that little touch of extra effort to take it to lock seems to help smooth out my driving. I don't like taking it to lock anyway. So that serves as a little muscle memory zone to help for the quick steering maneuvers.

O was 650 degrees. This is what I will be drifting and rallying with. Wow what a difference this makes! I just juggled my drift all the way down the route 5 straight for the first time since getting the G27. the perfect amount of rotation, so you still have to kind of "walk" the wheel, But not so much that it feels like your turning a bus wheel. at 210 the car was almost to twitchy for smooth drifts, at 650, it was the perfect amount.

X was 900 degrees. Back to stock.

One thing I noted. When I hit lock on the quicker settings, I only got a blip of a push, then it was weaker "push" as I turned past lock. This may be because of my FFB setting being low (5) perhaps a higher setting will result in a harder "push" once you hit lock. I know on the PC when you adjust it, once you hit lock, it takes a lot more effort to push past lock then it does in Gt5.

This will for sure add more life to this game, and also be a great thing to know for GT6. I haven't really enjoyed drifting since I upgraded. Now I have what I need to get back into it. Thanks OdeFinn.
Going to test an F1 now.

BTW, degrees were figured on my own mental degree wheel. actual degrees may, and probably do, differ.

Ah, only affecting wheel degrees.. like I said, more testing needed :)
Anyhow that O-setting is great for me.
Drifting, yes it makes it much easier.

Lets all test more and update collection to OP later.

One more thing to note, with the T setting, I found that the dead-zone bounce is worse in the f2007 then in any setting. Just took it around Motegi East. Setting T wasn't bad in turn feel, though it does get a little twitch. The worst part of it though is that on the straights, the wheel would shake back and forth in the dead zone quick strongly. On the S setting, the shake was gone,a nd the twitchyness really smoothed out. O setting is probably going to be my goto standard now. Perfect for racing.

I can give them a try later on, but I don't really see the point. This setting is far more tunable in most PC games, and generally the game (iRacing, rFactor and I believe simraceway as well) automatically adjusts the steering ratio to match the car your driving.

The reason I say it is software dependent is that you have to have a game loaded before the button combo will have any affect and it resets after the software (game) is exited. Your assessment seems correct to me Rally regarding the G27 recalibrating each time a software package is loaded. I think it would be better if the setting was hard coded at the wheel hardware level, instead of after a device (PS3 or computer) and/or software reboot.

No big deal really since the settings are pretty easily recognizable once your in game and you can adjust on the fly as you will. And yes I agree this will add some new life to GT5. Drifting might even be possible for the likes of myself.
So, I was pondering this theory while out disc golfing this afternoon, and I now wonder if its something that is handled by the wheel hardware, PS3, or GT5. While I liked my thinking that it is controlled by the wheel, I think it might actually be controlled by the PS3. Gonna test it on the gt6 demo in a few.

Time trials do not report anything less than 900 for this wheel. I had it set to O at first and set a silver time and the report still showed 900. Ran a gold time with it set to S and still reports 900 degree wheel. Kinda bummed. This woulda been essentially outside corroboration that the wheel changed to the new rotation. Car definitely changed steering characteristics with each setting. I was actually able to hold a drift around turn 4 at the Tokyo TT in that Viper on the, (are you serious, sport hards?) ice skates, with it on the S setting.

Interested to see what Rally finds in GTA demo.

Anyone compare times to a combo you have a lot experience at? Does setting 0 help with setting quicker lap times? I would imagine there would be a learning curve to work through for most tracks, but probably help right away with a combo like the F10 at Monaco.

Just ran the sunday cup in the gt6 demo, works the same. I'm duping some colors then I'm going to run the lotus combo and see how much faster I am with the sew setting.

Rallywagon
Anyone else tried any other button combos yet?

I will tonight. Funny just last week I accidentally found this out. I thought my wheel was messed up for a minute.

Well, I won't say it made me faster, but it sure does make me more consistent. Pressed a few other buttons, didnt notice a difference with anything. Hit 1&2 and some of the d-pad and wheel buttons with no affect.

OdeFinn
Funny at you decided keep it on your own info :) Yeah right.

I thought my game messed up, so I didn't understand what I did till this thread. I had to exit the game to fix it. A friend was with me when it happened :lol:. I got scared for a second.

Rallywagon
Well, I won't say it made me faster, but it sure does make me more consistent. Pressed a few other buttons, didnt notice a difference with anything. Hit 1&2 and some of the d-pad and wheel buttons with no affect.

I will try a few other buttons too. Maybe some of the other buttons will have other features.

Only one I tried (like I said by accident) was the limited degrees of rotation. I'll play around with it some here in a few.

Also I appreciate you posting this. Glad I can see what I did.

Last edited:
Back