G29 Paddle Shifters Not Working

• Thread starter wdavis1798
  • 8 comments
United States
United States
Recently started playing Gran Turismo Sport on PS5, with Logitech G29. All was great until suddenly paddle shifters stopped working. I can only race with automatic transmission. Paddle shifters themselves work fine in other games. They work with GT to navigate menus. When I try to race, however, I remain stuck in neutral unless I switch to automatic gearbox. Any suggestions?

Recently started playing Gran Turismo Sport on PS5, with Logitech G29. All was great until suddenly paddle shifters stopped working. I can only race with automatic transmission. Paddle shifters themselves work fine in other games. They work with GT to navigate menus. When I try to race, however, I remain stuck in neutral unless I switch to automatic gearbox. Any suggestions?
Have you absolutely 100% got the paddles mapped to gear up and gear down? Might be worth checking that?

Do you have an H-Shifter also plugged in? If so it might be defaulting to that (unless you're in Sport Mode, where its disabled anyway).

Thanks for the suggestions. I did double check to make sure that paddles are selected for up and down shifting in settings. And I hadn't thought of the switch, but sadly it is set to PS4, so that didn't help. Also, I don't have an H shifter. Still stuck in neutral unless I switch to automatic. Weird because I drove quite a few races with the paddles working. Suddenly they just stopped. They still work fine in other racing games and to navigate menus.

I deleted and redownloaded the game. Also deleted all of my saved data so that I could start it as a completely new game. Paddle shifters worked in "Arcade" mode only as long as the full game had not yet been downloaded. Once the full game was loaded they stopped working during races. Oh well.

Any suggestions?
Firstly does the problem exist with every car, even those that have paddle shifters? If it's only on some cars try fitting the custom gearbox to them and see if that helps. I remember there being an idiosyncrasy with GT and some class/type of cars.
(I'd test this out but I haven't got GTS installed at the moment)

From within the G29 options screen have you tried mapping the gear shifts to a couple of different buttons? Not ideal, but it would just see if that might work. If it did you could then remap back to the paddles to see if it then picked them up.

Thanks very much for the suggestions. In case anyone has a similar problem with GT and the G29 wheel, here is what I have found so far: remapping the shifters to other buttons (I tried square and x) also did not work. Still stuck in neutral. (Shifting works fine with the PS5 controller, just on default settings.) However, I made the happy discovery that if I go into the "Car Settings" and under "transmission" select "fully customized Non-synchronous Sequential Transmission," rather than the default "Manual Transmission" that the paddle shifters work perfectly. This may be what you were thinking, IfAndOr. So, as long as it's a car that allows me to customize the gearbox, all is well. This means, for example, that in "Arcade" I have to drive one of the cars from my own garage unless I want to run in automatic only. I can live with that. Again, greatly appreciate the suggestons!

Last edited:
This may be what you were thinking, IfAndOr.
It was indeed. 👍

I'm glad you've sort of come to a solution. Race cars should be fine since most have customisable transmission anyway. Probably many modern cars to.

Last edited:
Thanks very much for the suggestions. In case anyone has a similar problem with GT and the G29 wheel, here is what I have found so far: remapping the shifters to other buttons (I tried square and x) also did not work. Still stuck in neutral. (Shifting works fine with the PS5 controller, just on default settings.) However, I made the happy discovery that if I go into the "Car Settings" and under "transmission" select "fully customized Non-synchronous Sequential Transmission," rather than the default "Manual Transmission" that the paddle shifters work perfectly. This may be what you were thinking, IfAndOr. So, as long as it's a car that allows me to customize the gearbox, all is well. This means, for example, that in "Arcade" I have to drive one of the cars from my own garage unless I want to run in automatic only. I can live with that. Again, greatly appreciate the suggestons!
Just busted out my G29 from storage, fired up GT Sport, and ran straight into this issue. Thank you very much for posting this, as my first thought was that the wheel was faulty (strange as it was hardly ever used). Tried it on Assetto as well as P CARS, and both games the shifter works fine. On GT Sport though, I have lots of trouble shifting up a gear using the paddles. Never used to be like this, so I presume a game update bugged something out.

Hope it's not like this in GT7, as I might be getting a PS5 shortly...

Last edited:
Back