G29 Pedal Calibration

• Thread starter Tidgney
  • 41 comments
Whatever that is, it's GTS and not internal to the G29.

Have you removed the bung from your G29 brake? I'm guessing most people don't, so they wouldn't notice the issue that this thread is about.
Everything points to GTS itself for the throttle issue.

I haven't done anything with the G29 but the brakes feel a lot more inconsistent than in GT6.

Everything points to GTS itself for the throttle issue.

I haven't done anything with the G29 but the brakes feel a lot more inconsistent than in GT6.

I see. Well, inconsistency is one reason I couldn't get on with the bung, tbh. I never tried the G29 with GT6 though.

I see. Well, inconsistency is one reason I couldn't get on with the bung, tbh. I never tried the G29 with GT6 though.
I had more control in GT6 with the G29. My leg gets occasional shaking in GT Sport because what it does isn't lining up with what happens with the car.

Well I think they're talking about partly the same issue you're talking about... but that's not the one we're talking about here! This one is specifically about G29's brake issue when the bung is removed, which happens with any game that doesn't compensate for it (which they shouldn't have to).

I don't know which issues affect your setup. It sounds like the throttle is similar to that other thread. Your brake issue, I have no idea, but it could be something about the way the DriveHub emulates a G29, seeing as braking in GTS works reasonably for un-modified officially supported wheels including G29. I see no indication that PD have nerfed non-TM wheels.

Ok, I didn't realise the G29 has a rubber mod pre installed in the brake pedal. The G25/27 didn't have it stock. That would make sense then that the game only recognises travel up to that point. That would make the 25% deadzone in the brake an intentional feature, but still doesn't explain the throttle pedal deadzone. Also I don't know why if you remove the bung and press the brake all the way down it still wouldn't calibrate that last 25% of travel. In any case, I agree the problem is GTS related and not with the G25/27/29 wheelbase.

Also I don't know why if you remove the bung and press the brake all the way down it still wouldn't calibrate that last 25% of travel.

Because that's how Logitech decided to do it for the G29 brake - it simply does not recalibrate, and uses a fixed calibration instead. It still dynamically calibrates the other two pedals. Tolerances in the brake pots will mean that different pedal sets will need different amounts of pressure to get full braking, but it will at least be well into the stiffer/bung part of the travel and will stay in the same place. Otherwise it might end up moving if the pedal recalibrates during a session. So I suppose they've picked the lesser of two evils (as long as the bung stays installed).

TBH I don't see how the problems you're having are related to the topic of this thread since you don't have a G29. Theoretically the drivehub could be doing something, but I very much doubt it.

To be clear on terminology, deadzone means moving the pedal (in this case beyond about 75%) has no effect whatsoever. The "non-linear throttle" problem is kind of the opposite - too much throttle response happens in the last part of the pedal travel.

deadzone_vs_nonlinear.png

(Note these graphs are representative but not neccessarily accurate).

Last edited:
Because that's how Logitech decided to do it for the G29 brake - it simply does not recalibrate, and uses a fixed calibration instead. It still dynamically calibrates the other two pedals. Tolerances in the brake pots will mean that different pedal sets will need different amounts of pressure to get full braking, but it will at least be well into the stiffer/bung part of the travel and will stay in the same place. Otherwise it might end up moving if the pedal recalibrates during a session. So I suppose they've picked the lesser of two evils (as long as the bung stays installed).

TBH I don't see how the problems you're having are related to the topic of this thread since you don't have a G29. Theoretically the drivehub could be doing something, but I very much doubt it.

To be clear on terminology, deadzone means moving the pedal (in this case beyond about 75%) has no effect whatsoever. The "non-linear throttle" problem is kind of the opposite - too much throttle response happens in the last part of the pedal travel.

View attachment 726170
(Note these graphs are representative but not neccessarily accurate).

Well my G25 is being seen as a G29 through the Drivehub, and besides the change from gear to belt driven and the brake bung the G25/27/29 are pretty similar mechanically. So I would say it's still relevant. I was just trying to help Tidgney by sharing my experience with a similar situation. Since there's no solution, the whole thread is moot anyway.

Thanks for the graph though, I perhaps might have used the 2 terms interchangeably but now it's a lot clearer in my mind what the difference is. Ironically, my problem with both the gas and brake is a combination of both deadzone issues AND non-linear travel.

If I have to break it down, my pedal travel vs game input is like this:
0-25% - linear 0-25%
25-50% - linear 25-50%
50-75% - non-linear 50-100%
75-100% - deadzone 100%

I hope that makes sense.

Well my G25 is being seen as a G29 through the Drivehub, and besides the change from gear to belt driven and the brake bung the G25/27/29 are pretty similar mechanically. So I would say it's still relevant. I was just trying to help Tidgney by sharing my experience with a similar situation.

No, it is not relevant to an issue that is in the G29 wheelbase's firmware, and unique to it (well, and the G920 presumably). This is all about removing the bung, something G25/G27 did not have.

Sorry to keep arguing the point, but I have in mind that this isn't just you and me talking, others might find this thread looking for answers in the future. I know you were just trying to help.

Since there's no solution, the whole thread is moot anyway.

Solutions for this issue were linked to from the first reply in this thread!

Thanks for the graph though, I perhaps might have used the 2 terms interchangeably but now it's a lot clearer in my mind what the difference is. Ironically, my problem with both the gas and brake is a combination of both deadzone issues AND non-linear travel.

If I have to break it down, my pedal travel vs game input is like this:
0-25% - linear 0-25%
25-50% - linear 25-50%
50-75% - non-linear 50-100%
75-100% - deadzone 100%

I hope that makes sense.

Yes, I see the similarity in symptom. Not having a drivehub I can't check any of it myself. What other games have you got on PS4 to reference against? You mentioned PCars1 and it's convoluted settings, but didn't say if you managed to get it to work linearly over the full travel - if you did then it would seem the drivehub is outputting the data correctly, which points to your issues being with GTS.

edit: With a T300 in GTS... Brake seems fairly linear with a bit of a deadzone at the end, maybe 5 to 10%. Throttle is non-linear and has a larger deadzone - similar to your description but I'd say getting to 25% takes about 50% deflection on the pedal, and it isn't as much as 25% deadzone. It feels fairly linear over the first 2/3 of travel. Something like:

GTS_brake_and_throttle_response.png

Last edited:
No, it is not relevant to an issue that is in the G29 wheelbase's firmware, and unique to it (well, and the G920 presumably). This is all about removing the bung, something G25/G27 did not have.

Sorry to keep arguing the point, but I have in mind that this isn't just you and me talking, others might find this thread looking for answers in the future. I know you were just trying to help.

Ok, sorry. I just thought that since the G25+Drivehub effectively apes the G29 in the ingame menus, it somehow carries over the problem. So as I understand it, the problem is intrinsic to the programming of the G29 wheelbase and NOT how the game reads the wheelbase, correct? After this post I won't clutter this thread anymore, promise lol.

Yes, I see the similarity in symptom. Not having a drivehub I can't check any of it myself. What other games have you got on PS4 to reference against? You mentioned PCars1 and it's convoluted settings, but didn't say if you managed to get it to work linearly over the full travel - if you did then it would seem the drivehub is outputting the data correctly, which points to your issues being with GTS.

edit: With a T300 in GTS... Brake seems fairly linear with a bit of a deadzone at the end, maybe 5 to 10%. Throttle is non-linear and has a larger deadzone - similar to your description but I'd say getting to 25% takes about 50% deflection on the pedal, and it isn't as much as 25% deadzone. It feels fairly linear over the first 2/3 of travel. Something like:

View attachment 726722

I only have GTS and Driveclub on PS4, which makes it hard to compare as DC doesn't have a throttle bar indicator and it's an arcade game so fine throttle adjustments aren't really needed. I'm playing PCARS & AC on PC so I just plug the whee directly sans Drivehub.

Thing is, when I plug my G25 pedals to T-GT using the Ricmotech adapter, the pedals are completely linear with no deadzone. So the problem isn't with the pedals itself. It's either 1) the way Drivehub processes input from the G25 pedals or 2) the way GTS recognises an emulated G29/other wheels. I think pre patch for native Fanatec support, CSL Elite users were also complaining about throttle linearity, so I'm betting it's more option 2) than 1). Frankly I'm surprised Drivehub works as well as it is, but I'm not surprised if it's not 100% in everything either.

The throttle graph is pretty close to what I'm experiencing with G25+Drivehub for BOTH brake + throttle.

If I really test it, there is actually a teeny bit of deadzone in both throttle/brake even with native T-GT pedals, or G25 pedals+Ricmotech adapter, so your brake graph is as good as it gets really. It's not noticeable for me, so it's still okay.

Ok, sorry. I just thought that since the G25+Drivehub effectively apes the G29 in the ingame menus, it somehow carries over the problem. So as I understand it, the problem is intrinsic to the programming of the G29 wheelbase and NOT how the game reads the wheelbase, correct? After this post I won't clutter this thread anymore, promise lol.

That's what I've been trying to convey, yes :)

I only have GTS and Driveclub on PS4, which makes it hard to compare as DC doesn't have a throttle bar indicator and it's an arcade game so fine throttle adjustments aren't really needed. I'm playing PCARS & AC on PC so I just plug the whee directly sans Drivehub.

Hmm, could you try the PS4 PCars2 demo?

Thing is, when I plug my G25 pedals to T-GT using the Ricmotech adapter, the pedals are completely linear with no deadzone. So the problem isn't with the pedals itself. It's either 1) the way Drivehub processes input from the G25 pedals or 2) the way GTS recognises an emulated G29/other wheels. I think pre patch for native Fanatec support, CSL Elite users were also complaining about throttle linearity, so I'm betting it's more option 2) than 1). Frankly I'm surprised Drivehub works as well as it is, but I'm not surprised if it's not 100% in everything either.

The throttle graph is pretty close to what I'm experiencing with G25+Drivehub for BOTH brake + throttle.

If I really test it, there is actually a teeny bit of deadzone in both throttle/brake even with native T-GT pedals, or G25 pedals+Ricmotech adapter, so your brake graph is as good as it gets really. It's not noticeable for me, so it's still okay.

A teeny bit of deadzone would be normal to ensure you can always get the full response in-game, but I'd say the brake (with G29 pedals without bung and T300 on GTS) had noticably more than that (still playable though).

My G29 is all packed up somewhere waiting for my T300 to break :lol: so I can't readily check that setup out. You could ask in the non-linear throttle thread whether any G29 users think brake is like that though - it may be something GTS does for G29 to match the pressure required with the bung, which it would obviously also apply to your setup - I'm just guessing, but it makes a lot more sense than the DriveHub doing it.

Do you use the clutch pedal? If not swap it with your brake pedal. If you have a G25/G27 pedal set try using them. I'm still using my 12 year old G25 pedals, worked with my G27 wheel and G29. I have GTEYE spring in brake. I have my pedals inverted and too old/lazy to change them.
I know this is old, but I can't get my PS 4 to recognize my pedals. I've been playing F1 with them for over a week. I haven't played GTS for a few months so I wanted to use my new wheel and pedals. When I apply the brake it's probably getting 150% pressure. I have to barely press the brake and it's very hard on the timing. Not sure how to fix it.

In PC2 you can calibrate the pedal travel and it has a linear response, AC has a linear response as well but possible the same deadzone as GTS, it is pointing to a game by game issue.

Back