Game freezing repeatedly on menu screens (EDIT: read first post)

  • Thread starter Thread starter Dessy182
  • 49 comments
  • 8,990 views
Messages
896
Ireland
Carlow, Ireland
Messages
GTP_Dessy
EDIT:
It appears that the problems are linked to the game trying to connect with PD servers. I unplugged my ethernet cable when it was being slow to load and instantly everything was working again.

Obviously we all want to play the game online against each other, but it looks like PD or Sony or whoever runs the servers are over capacity (just like GTplanet a week ago). I'm sure everything will settle down over the next few days. The best thing to do is play single player offline for now.
-----

Original Post:

I've played the game for a good few hours without any issues, but now I can't even get it past the main menu without freezing. The bg music will continue to play and I have control of the PS button, but the game won't respond to any of my actions.

This freeze has happened in the following places and ways:

- Online lobby, waiting for it to load
- Online lobby, after clicking create new
- Main menu, after clicking GT mode
- Main menu, no cursor loads at all

This is extremely frustrating as it doesn't seem to be a case of take out the disc and give it a wipe. The disc is clean and new, I have restarted my ps3 several times as well.

Has anyone else been having similar issues?
 
Last edited:
Do you have a Slim or Fat model? I've heard rumors that there were fears that this game would basically toast older PS3's.
 
At least you got to play the game. I installed everything, reinstalled it several times. But then I'm stuck with a loading logo at all of the dealerships for 20 or more or more minutes!
 
Do you have a Slim or Fat model? I've heard rumors that there were fears that this game would basically toast older PS3's.

Really? I'm using a PAL launch 60gb and GT5 is actually running it cooler than most other games or even blu-ray movies do. I'm quite surprised by it, usually it's pumping out very hot air underneath the disc drive but it's only been mildly warm the whole time I've had GT5 running.
 
I've had this problem, then I used a feature in game options to clear cache, it's worked after, but that was like 8 hrs ago, not tried it since, so it's worth a try I'd say, nothing to loose.
Mine is a slim ps3 btw
 
Last edited:
I've had two Freezes once on a 60Gig Fatty an once on my New 320Gig SLim both times I just hit the PS Button and Started again

Seems ok so far
 
Hmmm.. this is quite worrying. I am also playing on an fat 60gb. I reset the cache and it seems ok now. Hopefully it doesn't persist every time I want to play the game.
 
This happened to me when creating a lobby in online mode. Screen went black and stayed there. I'm using a steering wheel so I didn't even think about pressing the PS button.

I really wish I did though. My save became corrupt and has put me right back to nothing. The only things I have is the pictures I have taken.

I had golded the first license. Nearly golded the second one and had gold trophied many of the events and was up to level 14. Now I have absolutely nothing.

I have only managed to have a few online races. Every other time the online mode has either just totally crashed or got me stuck in the lobby without being able to leave.
 
I have a slim 320gt and my game freezes almost every time when im in the online lobby (that's what i waited most).
Is there thread for online mode not working??? :yuck:
 
Last 2 attempts at starting the game:

- gets as far as "gran turismo 5' screen and freezes
- gets to main screen showing my current car but there is no cursor so I can't select any option

EDIT: The cursor finally appeared! I select GT mode and now it is frozen on the grey GT logo. Music still playing. Nothing happening. :/

hope this can all be sorted with a patch.
 
I have an old fatty PS3 with ex 80GB (now upgraded to 500GB)

Today I bought the game, played a bit (worked fine), installed it....
and now the game stays on the GT logo with that pulse effect on it.

It once happend when I closed the license-test section and wanted to choose an other mode.
And now It always happens when I try to start the game (after choosing GT Mode from the first menu)



I think the game needs to be fixed... :(
 
happend to me

im using 250gb slim model

crashing in the online lobbies
 
I've had to manually power down a couple of times in online lobbies, and have had it freeze for a unreasonable amount of time while going in / out of GT Life but just messed around on my iPad until it sorted itself out. Sucks there are so many glitches, but I'm sure they'll be addressed in no time.

I'm running a barely used 120gb slim. Seem to be getting signed out of psn lots also, but that might be due to everyone booting up the game for the first time today.
 
Last edited:
Mine seems to trying to connect PD servers and navigating in menus takes time because servers are down or something. I think this is one of the main problems for freezing. Sometimes pressing PS-button couple of times helps.
 
I am having the no cursor issue too. If you let the ps3 sit for about 45 seconds it will appear and then you will get a message about your time being incorrect. I am going to try to correct it and see if it helps.
 
Having the same problem, repeatedly having the game lock up on me even when trying to change options, or make courses. I have a 250gb slim so that's not the problem.

6 years of waiting and we get a game that's locking up on us? Come on now.
 
I have experienced a few freezes so far, I expected it to be honest, I have played it a lot today.
 
Could it be a problem with the disc???
 
at the start up it says can't connect to server, haven't tried going online yet.
but it also freezed up two times when clicking the home button, pretty frustrating
 
Most of you could probably solve your problems by just signing out of PSN.

I was having similar issues yesterday with long pauses between menu's when the servers were offline, once I signed out of PSN the problem went away.
 
at the start up it says can't connect to server, haven't tried going online yet.
but it also freezed up two times when clicking the home button, pretty frustrating

It seems to have something to do with server syncing.
 
Mine seems to trying to connect PD servers and navigating in menus takes time because servers are down or something. I think this is one of the main problems for freezing. Sometimes pressing PS-button couple of times helps.

I was playing just now and experienced this lag right in the beginning before entering GT life. The cursor was missing, and response was very slow. The music and animations were still going, so I figured it's still working. So the cursor finally appeared, and I clicked on GT Life, and it was stuck for like a minute or so. Then a message popped up saying something along the lines of "Servers are currently down", and GT Life started up. Tried going into community or Lobby and the menu popped up again saying servers are down.

Maybe when we enter GT Life, the PS3 already syncs up the connection to Online lobbies to speed up the Online matching process. When the servers are down or overloaded, maybe the game tries like 5 times before giving up? Just turn off your internet connection and see whether the loading improves.
 
I had what seemed like a freeze but was prompted that the servers were inaccessible, after that message, everything ran smoothly*.

*)until I got 7 cars in front of me on track, then it was not so smooth anymore :D
 
Most of you could probably solve your problems by just signing out of PSN.

I was having similar issues yesterday with long pauses between menu's when the servers were offline, once I signed out of PSN the problem went away.

Well it's a bit of a problem for me because then I wouldn't be able to race online...would I???
 
There are probably some GT5 background built-in programs that search for PD Server response IF the PS3 let the GT5 software know you have an internet link available. As most of the gamers are installing the game for the first time and also downloading the patch at the same moment, servers might be overflooded and everything starts acting strangely, even in those areas that are related only to offline game functions.

I am also assuming that PD might have underestimated demand over their servers at very first day of game release.
 
If you are lucky enough to get into GT mode, keep it there.

I am currently doing licenses without any issues. However I have a feeling that if I go to change my car or go back to arcade mode it's going to freeze again.
 
I've been playing GT5 all day (apart from a lunch break) and it's frozen on my 60gb twice in the menus. But I did as posted earlier, and just pressed the PS button twice.

Although I have found rather a lot of "other" bugs..

Still it's a cracking game :)
 
Back