Game Wear

• Thread starter seadog777
  • 76 comments

seadog777

Premium
Malaysia
Iskandar
seadog777
Mods - didn't know where to put this - doesn't really suit Sim Hardware or Rumblestrip.....

I feel a bit of a nerd (especially as I'm not a fast driver!) but today I bought a pair of Puma Drift Cat 7 "motorsport" shoes for playing GTS!!
Naff? Probably :lol:

In my defence, and my excuse to my wife, I have been playing for 3 months now, in bare feet, and after longer sessions it is pretty uncomfortable. I tried normal trainers but the soles were thick and I couldn't "feel" the pedals. Sounds weird but I like to have some kind of feeling of the pedals (hard to explain). I tried flip-flops, same thing but worse as your feet move around in them. Tried socks on their own but foot kept slipping off.

Just done a Gr.1 race at Tokyo in Campaign / Pro and it's too early to tell whether I'll use them all the time or go back to bare feet!

Do any of you have special game / racing wear? I hope nobody says they wear a crash helmet :lol:

Mods - didn't know where to put this - doesn't really suit Sim Hardware or Rumblestrip.....

I feel a bit of a nerd (especially as I'm not a fast driver!) but today I bought a pair of Puma Drift Cat 7 "motorsport" shoes for playing GTS!!

In my defence, and my excuse to my wife, I have been playing for 3 months now, in bare feet, and after longer sessions it is pretty uncomfortable. I tried normal trainers but the soles were thick and I couldn't "feel" the pedals. Sounds weird but I like to have some kind of feeling of the pedals (hard to explain). I tried flip-flops, same thing but worse as your feet move around in them. Tried socks on their own but foot kept slipping off.

Just done a Gr.1 race at Tokyo in Campaign / Pro and it's too early to tell whether I'll use them all the time or go back to bare feet!

Do any of you have special game / racing wear? I hope nobody says they wear a crash helmet :lol:

Special? Old 661 mtb gloves.

When I play I use slippers and they get my a tick of approval, so try them and see :).

Crash helmet?? While playing GT?? Don’t be absurd now.

I wear racing goggles.

Thanks for the replies, I won't quote individually (too much effort!). Slippers.... now why didn't I think of that, probably ideal! But those linked by Ayby are quite a lot more expensive than the Pumas!!

Do any of you wear gloves? When i look at videos of GTS championships, a lot of players wear gloves. I tried a pair of cheap cotton ones, with dimpled palms, from the local go-kart track and they're too hot - what's the idea of gloves??

Thanks for the replies, I won't quote individually (too much effort!). Slippers.... now why didn't I think of that, probably ideal! But those linked by Ayby are quite a lot more expensive than the Pumas!!

Do any of you wear gloves? When i look at videos of GTS championships, a lot of players wear gloves. I tried a pair of cheap cotton ones, with dimpled palms, from the local go-kart track and they're too hot - what's the idea of gloves??

They wear gloves because of sweating and hands getting slippy on the wheel.

I have my 'racing' slippers.

I wear a nice pair of thick cotton work socks. They do slide on the pedals but i like it that way. Tried bare feet and found they would "stick" to the bare metal, my slippers also gave me no feel cuse they were to thick.
Aha! You have the "feel" thing too! A bit weird because I don't care two hoots when driving a real car - I could be wearing hiking boots! - but doing this, different, odd!

Oh, I see.... my palms get sweaty but so far the wheel's grip has been fine. However they would also serve to protect the wheel from sweat (Eeewww!!)
Depending on your wheel, alcantara rims help with this quite a bit, even if it does wear.

Slippers look like a popular choice!
Yep, cheap and they do the job (my youngest daughter buys me a new pair each year, as they do get a lot of wear).

Aha! You have the "feel" thing too! A bit weird because I don't care two hoots when driving a real car - I could be wearing hiking boots! - but doing this, different, odd!
Ah the slippers you have to get need to have nice thin soles.

I do however like the same when driving in reality, even have a favorite pair of summer driving shoes with very, very thin and flexible soles.

Depending on your wheel, alcantara rims help with this quite a bit, even if it does wear.

Yep, cheap and they do the job (my youngest daughter buys me a new pair each year, as they do get a lot of wear).

I have a ™ T300RS so I think it's just plastic, but it does have very fine dimples on it which seem to work well.

That's sweet! 👍

Ah the slippers you have to get need to have nice thin soles.

I do however like the same when driving in reality, even have a favorite pair of summer driving shoes with very, very thin and flexible soles.
I probably drive a much slower car than you! :)

I drive slow cars and always have tbh in real life, but i also like thin soled shoes for driving. I wear steeled toe boots for close to 20 years for work and i still hate driving in them when i need to. I actually drive bare foot even in the summer sometimes

I drive slow cars and always have tbh in real life, but i also like thin soled shoes for driving. I wear steeled toe boots for close to 20 years for work and i still hate driving in them when i need to. I actually drive bare foot even in the summer sometimes
You're right - I have tried driving in "safety boots" and it's not nice. But, it still feels different in GTS - not sure why!

MANY years ago I was playing the first TOCA game on PS1 on a small portable tv in the spare room of the new marital home. Had a small pair of Walkman style headphones on for sound. Glancing around the room my eyes fell on a crash helmet in the corner of the room from some banger racing exploits. The inevitable happened, just as an experiment you understand. Did a few laps then heard the front door opening as my wife returned home. Panicking and not wanting to be found playing with a crash helmet on I quickly pulled it off, completely forgetting that I still had the headphones on under the lid and nearly ripped my ears off! Painful but still, it made for a passable anecdote for a first post on a forum years later!

MANY years ago I was playing the first TOCA game on PS1 on a small portable tv in the spare room of the new marital home. Had a small pair of Walkman style headphones on for sound. Glancing around the room my eyes fell on a crash helmet in the corner of the room from some banger racing exploits. The inevitable happened, just as an experiment you understand. Did a few laps then heard the front door opening as my wife returned home. Panicking and not wanting to be found playing with a crash helmet on I quickly pulled it off, completely forgetting that I still had the headphones on under the lid and nearly ripped my ears off! Painful but still, it made for a passable anecdote for a first post on a forum years later!
OMG.... you cannot be serious! :lol: Priceless!

Yes, they're expensive. But so far these quality felt slippers have lasted me 3 times longer than any other (cheap) slipper I had before. With ZERO smell.

Zero smell worth the extra alone! They look cool....

Last edited by a moderator:
Yes, they're expensive. But so far these quality felt slippers have lasted me 3 times longer than any other (cheap) slipper I had before. With ZERO smell.
I wear gloves but they have to be disposable or machine washable. As far as I know racing gloves aren't washable.

I'm no clean freak or anything but it's really nasty when you can start to smell your gloves when racing. :yuck:

Socks is all i need, although those swimming shoes look like they could be worth a try. I thought about trying some gloves that i wear in winter for football as i get a hard lump of skin on the inside of my left thumb (don't know why its only on my left?!?!) - not even sure if gloves would affect the lump anyway.

I use worn gloves from work that are fine for this purpose, which is being a bit more comfortable than without. That's with a CSR.

Not sure about shoes, if there was a pair to try they might help with reach and therefore be more comfortable most of the time.

Back