gamepad

  • Thread starter Thread starter mao_fs
  • 24 comments
  • 1,386 views
Messages
33
hi,

i know the best option to play GT is the wheel, but
if i can not get one, here is my question:

is there a better gamepad for racing games than sony's????

thanks

mao
 
All PS2 controllers are identical, regardless of manufacturer, so no... there isn't. Unless you go with a wheel. And the cheap wheels only have 200 degree rotation, I believe the DFP is the only one so far with 900 degree rotation.

I've played all three GT games with the DualShock, and the exact same button config for all three, I like it just fine.
 
I STRONGLY disagree. All controlers are not the same. I know, for a fact, that on XBox any and all third party controlers are of noticably and performance hampering lesser quality than the Microsoft brand XBox controlers. Also, I've had many people tell me the same about Playstation controlers. Nothing compares to the people who designed the system.
 
I was only referring to button layout and such. The controls of the game would be the same regardless of what type of controller you buy. In regards to what you say, you're quite right... it's generally a bad idea to hook up anything to your PS2 that doesn't say "Sony" on it. I remember hearing horror stories about what some of the cheap copycat peripherals do to the system... *shudder*
 
Jedi2016
I was only referring to button layout and such. The controls of the game would be the same regardless of what type of controller you buy. In regards to what you say, you're quite right... it's generally a bad idea to hook up anything to your PS2 that doesn't say "Sony" on it. I remember hearing horror stories about what some of the cheap copycat peripherals do to the system... *shudder*

Bad choice of words and you get burned.

Bad choice of controller and your PS2 gets burned.

It is indeed a cruel world we live in. :)
 
Jedi2016
I was only referring to button layout and such. The controls of the game would be the same regardless of what type of controller you buy. In regards to what you say, you're quite right... it's generally a bad idea to hook up anything to your PS2 that doesn't say "Sony" on it. I remember hearing horror stories about what some of the cheap copycat peripherals do to the system... *shudder*

Well what I'm talking about are things like Logitech and Madcatz controllers on XBox. The button responce time and the feeling of the buttons is just bad. The quality of the construction is horrible. They make the game feel different. And the really bizzar thing is that the OEM controllers are usually cheaper too!
 
Sony PS2 controller is the best
I use it on my ... PS2 when I'mtoo lazy to install my driving force wheel.
I even use it on my dreamcast ( with an adapter of course ) when I play Granturismo2 with the Bleemcast emulator.
I use it on my computer ( with an USB adaptor ) to play Formula1 Challenge 99-02 , Colin Mc Rae rally and Granturismo1 and 2 with the EPSXE playstation emulator.
 
well i had a "jaguar" and a "ferrari" pad and both felt better than sony´s!
....the "leg´s" of the sony pad(the things u hold with ur fingers and where the vibration engines are in)are just too short!...i had a better feeling by holding the other controllers...
but just my experience...
;>
 
heh?....what have u against GT-One´s???
...and what type of LM-Car do u like heh?...mc laren,porsche,mercedes(all slower than toyota´s GT1!)
...don´t get on my nerves man then i won´t on urs, too!
;>
 
I own two wheels (Logitech Driving force and driving force pro) and two black sony DS2s. 90% of my GT 2/3/4p play is with the same sony made DS2 I've used for 3 years. I like the control of the wheel but find the pedals on both systems very bad, poor quality and no "feel". I've tried a few other game pads for the PS2 but haven't found any of better quality and "feel" as the good old sony DS2s....simple as that.

I'll even go as far to say that having a wheel isn't any better, at least with GT3, than the DS2. I know how to drive with the wheel and my lap times are about the same with both the wheel or DS2, if anything I'm faster with the DS2, but I can drive with either.

Like I said i find the pedals on the DFP VERY bad, almost worthless, but am going to give the wheel one more shot with GT4 before I put them both on ebay.

I will say that the wheel makes GT4p much better, but I have the japanese NTSC version of GT4p, which has a software bug in it for the throttle maxing out at like 40% so it is unplayable with a wheel.
 
ok, this is not a sales pitch but I have built and patented a controller a couple of years ago that actually let you controll the throttle and brakes much better in Gran Turismo and other games that were programmed for pressure sensitive controllers. It was called the Throttle Jockey, what made this controller different than anything on the market is that the buttons stuck out of the main controller housing 1/4 inch and had soft pads that were more ergonomic for the thumb. It worked great and I thought I had a hit but I really didn't have the money to do all of the traveling to game shows and hiring lawyers for the literature side of things. You might think that taller buttons wouldn't be as comfortable or useful but the taller buttons actually done away with the gamers cramp (caused by extensive gameplay when ones first thumb joint is bent for so long it actually restricts bloodflow to the end of the thumb.) and you would be amazed at how much controll 1/4 inch gives you when pushing a button down and letting it back up in minute incraments. I actually use one of my concept models every now and then but most of the time I use the ff pro wheel.
 
kensei
I own two wheels (Logitech Driving force and driving force pro) and two black sony DS2s. 90% of my GT 2/3/4p play is with the same sony made DS2 I've used for 3 years. I like the control of the wheel but find the pedals on both systems very bad, poor quality and no "feel". I've tried a few other game pads for the PS2 but haven't found any of better quality and "feel" as the good old sony DS2s....simple as that.

I'll even go as far to say that having a wheel isn't any better, at least with GT3, than the DS2. I know how to drive with the wheel and my lap times are about the same with both the wheel or DS2, if anything I'm faster with the DS2, but I can drive with either.

Like I said i find the pedals on the DFP VERY bad, almost worthless, but am going to give the wheel one more shot with GT4 before I put them both on ebay.

I will say that the wheel makes GT4p much better, but I have the japanese NTSC version of GT4p, which has a software bug in it for the throttle maxing out at like 40% so it is unplayable with a wheel.

Kensai did the Pedals of the DFP always act like this with your version of prologue?
 
GTXLR
Kensai did the Pedals of the DFP always act like this with your version of prologue?

Yes and no. When I forst got prologue I could never gold the exams, I couldn't even get close. I didn't think i suck that hard, I mean golding GT3 exams is fairly easy for me. I got furstrated and on a whim changed to the DS2. Needless to say I golded alot of the exams quickly as I now had 100% throttle. I did some stright line tests at Fuji with the DS2 and DFP and realized that the DFP was only giving me 50-75% throttle at best, then I read here there is a DFP bug in the japanese version of prolouge.

Now when I try the DFP with prologue i get under 50% throttle and the car rarely goes out of 2nd gear.

I've had Logitech replace the pedals 3 times now and they ALL act the same.

Like I said i own both the DF and DFP wheels. I hated the wheel of the DF but like the pedals, I like the wheel of the DFP but loath the pedals. I think I may try to get the DF pedals to work with the DFP wheel and see if that solves my issues.
 
GT-One Lover
heh?....what have u against GT-One´s???
...and what type of LM-Car do u like heh?...mc laren,porsche,mercedes(all slower than toyota´s GT1!)
...don´t get on my nerves man then i won´t on urs, too!
;>

Pity the GT-one never actualy beat any of the cars its was faster than!
 
As I mentioned earlier, I have a Driving Force ( NOT the Pro model ) but play GT3 almost using exclusively the controller.
The only time I use the wheel is for the gold licenses tests. It's funny but for me I was faster in some test using the wheel ( GT-One at Monaco ) but faster using the controller ( Skyline at Trial Mountain ) so go figure.
I think the Driving Force wheel works better on my computer than with the PS2. It is perfect for Colin McRae Rally and the Prototype-C mod ( from Virtua-LM ) + the JGTC mod for the Electronics Art F1 Challenge 99-02.
 
there is no comparison between the dfp and the old df, it feels so much more smooth and accurate a driving experience with the new one in prologue, and it really adds a completely new dimension to the game with the level of feedback information.
 
Yep, DF was a horrible little device. Pedals were flat and soft, and you had to rest your heels on the floor instead of the base to use them... most odd. DFP pedals are much, much better. Only oddity with them would be the slack in the brake springs, but i replaced them with a squash ball (for rising resistance like a real brake pedal) a long time ago.

I also recommend taking the slack out of the pedal joints by wrapping them in a thin layer of tape and regreasing. When they cant flop around, they're much better.
 
Pity the GT-one never actualy beat any of the cars its was faster than!
..u have NO idea about motor-racing!...just look at the lap times of the unique GT-One--->3:35:327(in the race , driven from U. Katayama) and 3:29:751 in the QUALIFYING-RACE!!!
and the mc larens or mercedes´???....pah!...loosers compared with the GT-One(as they were "GT1" cars and the Toyota was so fast,revolutionary and good that it opened an new class, the "GTP"!!!)

...so guy inform urself before saying any CRAP!
 
GT-One Lover
..u have NO idea about motor-racing!...just look at the lap times of the unique GT-One--->3:35:327(in the race , driven from U. Katayama) and 3:29:751 in the QUALIFYING-RACE!!!
and the mc larens or mercedes´???....pah!...loosers compared with the GT-One(as they were "GT1" cars and the Toyota was so fast,revolutionary and good that it opened an new class, the "GTP"!!!)

...so guy inform urself before saying any CRAP!

First things first, don't swear at me and don't tell me what I do or don't know! Do it again and I will report the post to the mods, rudeness has no place here.

I love the GT-One as a revolutionary design of car that helped to shape the current breed of protoype Le Mans racers.

However one thing you have to accept is that the GT-one was design to win at LeMans. Something it failed completely to do. Thats not conjecture about its ability as a car, its a point of fact.

It may well of opened a new class, but it still failed in its primary objective.

The following is taken from the Mulsanne Corner website, generally considered to be a very impartial and accurate site regarding Le Mans.

http://www.mulsannescorner.com/gtone.html

"The Toyota GT-One was revolutionary for its new interpretation of the rules and interesting execution of design details. Making little pretenses of being a 'GT' car, it clearly was a pure bred prototype and subsequently the GT1 class became LMGTP. The GT-One certainly surprised but ultimately it never won a race during its short career. Regardless of its lack of a winning record, to this day, the GT-One embodies certain design details that put the car in a class of its own. "


The 1999 Le Mans trap speeds do indeed put the GT-One as the fastest car on the grid (trap speeds taken from free pratice sessions)

1. GT-One (Brundle, Collard, Sospiri) 217.6 mph
4. MB CLR (Webber, Gounon, Tiemann) 216.4 mph
8. Audi R8R (Pirro, Biela, Theys) 207.7 mph
15. BMW V12 LMR (Winkelhock, Martini, Dalmas) 212.0 mph

However the final race results were a little different

1st BMW V12 LMR (Winkelhock, Martini, Dalmas) 365 laps
2nd Toyota GT-One (Katayama, Suzuki, Tsuchiya) 364 laps
3rd Audi R8R (Pirro, Biela, Theys) 360 laps

The interesting thing is that the trap speeds for the highest finishing GT-One was the same as the fastest CLR (at 216.4 mph).

The GT-One of Katayama may have set the fastest lap (you will notice that I am not denying this) but not the fastest trap time and the winning car did not set either the fastest lap or trap time. Why?, because Le Mans and endurance racing is not just about sheer speed, its about endurance. Single lap speed set you up for the grid, but it is just as interesting to look at the average lap speed of the first and second place cars over the duration of the race

1st BMW V12 LMR 207.5 kph
2nd GT-One 206.9 kph


The GT-One was and still is an iconic car, but please pull the blinkers off. It was beaten on the day, it failed to live up to its aim.
 
Yea, I loved my Namco controller that came out for Ridge Racer, it worked like that for gas and brake, and twisted in the middle between your hands for stearing. But GT2 was the last game I could use it on.
 
..u have NO idea about motor-racing!...just look at the lap times of the unique GT-One--->3:35:327(in the race , driven from U. Katayama) and 3:29:751 in the QUALIFYING-RACE!!!
and the mc larens or mercedes´???....pah!...loosers compared with the GT-One(as they were "GT1" cars and the Toyota was so fast,revolutionary and good that it opened an new class, the "GTP"!!!)

...so guy inform urself before saying any CRAP!

At least the BMW LMRs didn't break in the middle of the race.
 
Jedi2016
All PS2 controllers are identical, regardless of manufacturer, so no... there isn't. Unless you go with a wheel. And the cheap wheels only have 200 degree rotation, I believe the DFP is the only one so far with 900 degree rotation.

I've played all three GT games with the DualShock, and the exact same button config for all three, I like it just fine.
You out of your mind? A friend of mine is a controller-freak. He's got like two bags of different controllers and let me tell you; they are not DS2! You are talking BS. BUT, the DS2 is the (by far) best controller....!
 
damn you guys just get the freakin wheel :sly: well, the sony controller is the best by the way, its not too big not too small

i drift, race, do everything with the wheel

you guys should be ashamed of yourselves! :)

 
Back