Gaming PC Advice

United Kingdom
Swansea, Wales
Senzsation
I've been uhming and ahhing about buying a gaming PC for a while now, and it seems that a few sites have good bank holiday deals on.

I've found this Acer Orion 3000 at nearly £400 off list. https://www.box.co.uk/ACER-PREDATOR-ORION-3000-GAMING-TOWER-DE_2893989.html#promotions
For reference there's an Alienware R8 at almost the same price the same ram but what looks to be an inferior graphics card.

From my understanding the spec seems very good for the money - am I right in thinking this? I'll be the first to admit I'm not massively knowledgeable on PC's.

Also please don't suggest building a PC - I have no interest whatsoever in doing it.

Thanks for any help.

Solid PC from what I can gather (especially if it's around the same price to the Alienware on sale). I think it would be cheaper to build an equivalent PC yourself, but you already said you have no interest. Yeah, I'd say if you're willing to drop the money then you can't go wrong here.

I'm currently looking for a new computer myself, but I'm opting for a laptop instead. We'll see how that goes.

Wait a month. RTX 3000's announcement/launch is imminent, and new hardware drives down prices of prebuilts with old generation stuff.

Yeah, if you can wait a month or 3, you get the RTX 3000 launch happening (which means Nvidia graphics cards will become cheaper in the RTX 2000 and RTX 1600 range) and more competition in Radeon as well.

Apparently Big Navi is coming out at some point which also might push the 5700XT down a price or two for sure, but I am not sure exactly when.

Also, there is a processor fight happening just now, so if you wait a little, you might be able to score more on the AMD 2000 and the AMD 3000 series for price, no idea for Intel as I don't follow them due to a VERY CONFUSING product stack for me.

You might find that for this product or the next one above, it could reduce in price when both RTX3000 get released and Big Navi as well as the rest of the processor line up.

However

@Senzsation what do you specifically want from the PC? High refresh rates? Streaming? Other things, such as video encoding or multimedia work?

Thanks for the advice guys. May wait and see if prices drop.

@Senzsation what do you specifically want from the PC? High refresh rates? Streaming? Other things, such as video encoding or multimedia work?

I just want to be able to play new games at high or even 4k settings. If it can't do that then it seems to me I'd just be better off waiting for a PS5, although I'm not sure how well that'll output true 4k. I probably won't stream on it, and the only other thing I'll use it for is photo editing and maybe the odd gopro video edit but seen as my macbook air can manage that I'd assume a decent desktop easily could.

512 GB SSD is nowhere near enough high speed storage, especially at that premium price. Why did they skimp on it?

That's the problem you run into when not building yourself. Prebuilt units always cut corners.

Still, it's a good price and you can always add SSD storage later

Thanks for the advice guys. May wait and see if prices drop.

I just want to be able to play new games at high or even 4k settings. If it can't do that then it seems to me I'd just be better off waiting for a PS5, although I'm not sure how well that'll output true 4k. I probably won't stream on it, and the only other thing I'll use it for is photo editing and maybe the odd gopro video edit but seen as my macbook air can manage that I'd assume a decent desktop easily could.
The Acer system you are looking at getting is a bit worse than a PS5 so you'd be better off waiting for one of them instead for a fraction of the price. Otherwise you are looking at lower quality graphics and audio as well as much slower load times. If it is one or the other then pre-orders for PS5 should be up before the new PC parts become available too.

Back