Gaming PC build

• Thread starter Ca11um
  • 16 comments
United Kingdom
United Kingdom
I need some ideas for a budget gaming PC...My currently PC has a Gigabyte motherboard (not sure what model), AMD FX 6350 CPU, 8gb RAM, 2gb GTX 960 Palit GPU, 2x 1tb hard-drives, and Windows 10 (not sure what power supply). It is a good PC and plays most games, but it is quite out dated now, so I would like to either upgrade this one bit by bit, or start a long term project building a new PC.

Somebody else suggested Ryzen or Coffee Lake, but they're a little expensive. Especially the newer ones. If I had the money I would totally go with one of those options, but I don't (not right now any way) so I would like to go with something a little less expensive. Technically I don't need to upgrade my PC because it plays all of my games just fine, but I would like something a little more up to date with a bit more power.

What's your budget? Are you going to replace your screen too? If not, what screen do you have now? Also what do you want to be able to play, or what kinds of games?

The Gigabite 360m is about as cheap as you will go for a decent budget build. They run for about $70. Paired up with an i3 coffee lake will round you up to about $210 for both items.

Add a budget card like the 1050ti and it all sums up to $400.

Say $60 for a power supply, another $50 for storage and $80 for an 8gb ddr4 ram kit and you're looking at a very decent budget build for under $600.

Anything under it and it might not really feel like an upgrade and wouldn't justify the investment.

With something like this, you are getting current gen console power, not to mention a PC does much more.

What's your budget? Are you going to replace your screen too? If not, what screen do you have now? Also what do you want to be able to play, or what kinds of games?
Well in the other comment on here, somebody said I would have to spend at least £450+ ($600) otherwise it wouldn't be worth it, and that really isn't too bad because I spent like £300 on my currently PC (it was pre-built) a long time ago, back when it was a "high end" gaming PC. To keep the cost down I could probably salvage a few bits a pieces from my current PC too (like the case and the power supply, ect).

I currently have 2x Acer monitors. I think they are 21.5 inches with 2ms response or something like that (the BenQ ones were out of stock at the time)...They're only just under a year old so I will most likely keep these ones just to keep the overall cost down.

The Gigabite 360m is about as cheap as you will go for a decent budget build. They run for about $70. Paired up with an i3 coffee lake will round you up to about $210 for both items.

Add a budget card like the 1050ti and it all sums up to $400.

Say $60 for a power supply, another $50 for storage and $80 for an 8gb ddr4 ram kit and you're looking at a very decent budget build for under $600.

Anything under it and it might not really feel like an upgrade and wouldn't justify the investment.

With something like this, you are getting current gen console power, not to mention a PC does much more.
Well honestly, $600 really isn't too bad. I bought my currently PC a long time ago when it was a "high end" PC (pre-built), and it only cost me $400 at the time. I think I spent around $650/700 altogether with 2x monitors, a desk, keyboard and mouse, ect.

Something I quickly whipped up - https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/qkBwgw

This is assuming that you'll be reusing your case, PSU and Windows licence.

I personally don't feel that it would be worth getting a 1050Ti, as it's not a particularly large upgrade from your current 960. An RX 570, RX 580 or GTX 1060 6GB would be better choices imo.

Something I quickly whipped up - https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/qkBwgw

This is assuming that you'll be reusing your case, PSU and Windows licence.

I personally don't feel that it would be worth getting a 1050Ti, as it's not a particularly large upgrade from your current 960. An RX 570, RX 580 or GTX 1060 6GB would be better choices imo.
Yeah, I can reuse parts from my currently PC. Just under £500 really isn't bad for that it is, and to be honest I could probably get it a bit cheaper if I looked online and sourced the parts from all different websites. Also which Ryzen 3 CPU is the best one to get? I've noticed that there are a few different ones, but they're all similar prices. And what would be the Intel equivalent to a Ryzen 3 processor (A friend of mine has a similar setup but he has Intel/Coffee Lake)?

Last edited:
I'm not familiar with AMD, but if you go with a Ryzen 3, not only the CPU will be less expensive, but also the motherboard. You can save yourself more money.

I would only be able to give advice on Intel though. Not a fanboy; it's just that I've only had Intel/nvidia based machines and it's what I'm familiar with.

I'm not familiar with AMD, but if you go with a Ryzen 3, not only the CPU will be less expensive, but also the motherboard. You can save yourself more money.

I would only be able to give advice on Intel though. Not a fanboy; it's just that I've only had Intel/nvidia based machines and it's what I'm familiar with.
I used Intel a lot in the past for normal desktop PC's, but when it came to gaming PC's I was always told that AMD was cheaper and better. Obviously a lot has changed since then and people are using Intel for high end gaming as well now.

But what Intel/Coffee Lake processor has the closest performance to the Ryzen 3?

Probably the i5 7600k based on being an unlocked quad core without hyperthreading but most recent would be an i3 8350k probably.

If you plan to stream at all i would highly recommend higher core count or at least hyperthreading/SMT.

Best for the budget would probably be the Ryzen 5 1400 4core/8thread cpu.

Probably the i5 7600k based on being an unlocked quad core without hyperthreading but most recent would be an i3 8350k probably.

If you plan to stream at all i would highly recommend higher core count or at least hyperthreading/SMT.

Best for the budget would probably be the Ryzen 5 1400 4core/8thread cpu.
I don't stream too often; only now and then because I have only recently gotten in to streaming...My currently PC can stream some basic games (only really tried it with things like Rocket League and Fortnite), but when it comes to bigger games (like GTA), the stream lags like crazy. My internet probably doesn't help either; it isn't great to begin with, but I am also using a USB wireless dongle which isn't ideal. It's fine for surfing the web but that's about it. Don't have much choice though because my internet box is on a completely different floor of the house (only place it can go).

Yeah, I can reuse parts from my currently PC. Just under £500 really isn't bad for that it is, and to be honest I could probably get it a bit cheaper if I looked online and sourced the parts from all different websites. Also which Ryzen 3 CPU is the best one to get? I've noticed that there are a few different ones, but they're all similar prices. And what would be the Intel equivalent to a Ryzen 3 processor (A friend of mine has a similar setup but he has Intel/Coffee Lake)?
The Intel equivalent to the Ryzen 3 would probably be the i3 8100.

The 2200G is probably the best Ryzen 3 model that you can get right now. If you intend to upgrade the CPU later down the line, the AM4 socket is apparently going to be supported until 2020, so you could theoretically upgrade to a third gen Ryzen CPU if you feel that your CPU is holding you back. On the Intel side, you'd most likely have to buy a new motherboard in order to upgrade your CPU.

Having said that, the 8100 still seems to be a pretty decent CPU.

The Intel equivalent to the Ryzen 3 would probably be the i3 8100.

The 2200G is probably the best Ryzen 3 model that you can get right now. If you intend to upgrade the CPU later down the line, the AM4 socket is apparently going to be supported until 2020, so you could theoretically upgrade to a third gen Ryzen CPU if you feel that your CPU is holding you back. On the Intel side, you'd most likely have to buy a new motherboard in order to upgrade your CPU.

Having said that, the 8100 still seems to be a pretty decent CPU.
To be honest the Ryzen 7 isn't a bad price...For a second hand one I mean. I know they're over £300 for a brand new one, but I saw a Ryzen 7 1700 up for auction and it ended at around £170. But at the same time I saw some others up for auction which sold for way more. If I can find another Ryzen 7 for that price (when I have the money), then I will definitely go with the Ryzen 7 instead! I looked at some bench marks and it appears that the Ryzen 7 will be good for both gaming and streaming which is perfect for me.

To be honest the Ryzen 7 isn't a bad price...For a second hand one I mean. I know they're over £300 for a brand new one, but I saw a Ryzen 7 1700 up for auction and it ended at around £170. But at the same time I saw some others up for auction which sold for way more. If I can find another Ryzen 7 for that price (when I have the money), then I will definitely go with the Ryzen 7 instead! I looked at some bench marks and it appears that the Ryzen 7 will be good for both gaming and streaming which is perfect for me.
If you do end up getting a Ryzen 7, I'd recommend pairing it with a higher end B350 motherboard. I don't think that the cheaper models can handle an overclocked Ryzen 7 (if you plan on overclocking, that is) very well.

If you do end up getting a Ryzen 7, I'd recommend pairing it with a higher end B350 motherboard. I don't think that the cheaper models can handle an overclocked Ryzen 7 (if you plan on overclocking, that is) very well.
I wouldn't be overclocking it any way...Obviously if I get a higher end motherboard then that option is always there, but I have no clue what I'm doing so I don't really want to mess with it. I could overclock the CPU i have now to get a bit more out of it, but again, I have no clue what I'm doing so I don't want to start changing things and then break it lol

Back