Gangster Movie Fans Unite!

  • Thread starter Thread starter TwinTurboJay
  • 33 comments
  • 1,966 views
Messages
4,522
Messages
TwinTurboJay
I am a huge gangster movie fan, looking to find and collect and watch them all! I will sit through the classics, even terrible ones like ' Made ' and "Boss of Bosses" just because I can't get enough. What I am looking for is fans to suggest movies others may not have seen, add some imput, general discussion, collections, favorites, things of that nature.

Of course even non fans know the major ones, The GodFather, I, II, and III. But what else do you have ? There are the hardcore gansgter movies, with serious revenge plots, but then there are also others that are injected with humour and even more mainstream movies with gansgter / mobster influence ( not always good ) eg: Analyze This / That.

I am going to make a list of what are the must sees for you fans, and if I miss any please post them!

Scar Face
👍 👍
Carlito's Way 👍 👍 ( apparently they're making a new one, prequal to the movie...looks terrible though, Jay hernandez plays Carlito and P Diddy is another main character....)
Casino 👍 👍
GoodFellas 👍 👍
Donnie Brasco 👍 👍
Hoodlum 👍 👎
Last Man Standing 👍 👎
Get Shorty 👍 👍
Knockaround Guys 👍 👍
Pulp Fiction 👍 👍


there are so many more I can't think off the top of my head...

**EDIT**

If anyone mentions Mickey Blue Eyes in a post, it counts for an auto banning
 
The Brit flicks from Guy Ritchie entertain me.

Snatch and Lock Stock And Two Smoking Barrels. I really like 'em. :D
 
Hoodlum is an excellent choice. 👍 Little different(and really old), but since Last Man Standing was mentioned, I'd like to recommend "Yojimbo" and "Sanjuro". "City of God" was also great. :)
 
The re-make of Carlito's way has been made,theres pirate DVD's already out. I won't be watching it at all though. City of God was superb, Last man standing was okay, entertaining but not a great imo. Gangster No1 is a good one to watch that hasn't been mentioned yet.
 
Goodfellas is one of my all time favorite movies.
 
Road To Perdition is a great movie. It's loosely based on a true story, as well.

Bonnie and Clyde has to be on this list. If you haven't seen it, you've missed an all-time classic.
 
Miller's Crossing was good...

edit: ...and Bugsy Malone ;)
 
How the hell can you make a post like this without mentioning the Godfather trilogy?
 
I think I like all the films being mentioned here. I forgot about "Lock, Stock". A+ film! 👍

live4speed
The re-make of Carlito's way has been made,theres pirate DVD's already out. I won't be watching it at all though. City of God was superb, Last man standing was okay, entertaining but not a great imo. Gangster No1 is a good one to watch that hasn't been mentioned yet.
The original "Carlito's Way" was so good, why did they film a remake? I actually liked it better than "Scarface".
 
smellysocks12
How the hell can you make a post like this without mentioning the Godfather trilogy?

Read the post...
 
What about "The Boondock Saints"? It's sort of a gangster movie, and if you haven't seen it I highly recommend it. It's twisted as hell, but its very good, and don't see it if you are young...it's very R.

But I love Pulp Fiction, Donnie Brasco, and Casino, they are all top notch movies.
 
You obviously haven't seen Once Upon A Time In America. It's the best Gangster Movie of all time.

Bugsy Malone is the best Gangster Movie for kids. My boys love it! 👍
 
I'm a bit of a 70s man, so:

Get Carter 👍 👍
The Long Good Friday 👍 👍
Mean Streets 👍 👍
The Godfather 👍 👍

But there's also:
American Yakuza 👍 (Early Viggo Mortensen film. He was rubbish but the rest of the film was good)

And, of course, big respect to:
Casino, Goodfellas, Carlito's Way, Scarface, Donnie Brasco, and a personal favourite, The Usual Suspects
These are definitely some of the best films ever.
 
Oh man, Get Carter, that was fantastic. The Usual suspects is certainly a great film, but I'm not sure I'd class it as a gangster movie.
 
I know what you mean, but the central character is a serious career gangster...

The Long Good Friday's fantastic too, I reckon, Bob 'Oskins at his best (plus an early cameo from Pearce Brosnan (sp?)). Also a forward looking film - they were talking about Dockland property development in 1979 - and it shows the IRA doing what they really did - organised crime...
 
Th eLong good friday fromwhat Ican remember was great but I haven't seen it in a long time. Maybe one for me tog et on DVD next time I go looking for any.
 
There are lot of other movies too that kind of fly under the radar, maybe to filed under " caper" films..but are still good, like Heist, Confidence, The Whole 9 Yards ( and 10 if you have to ),

{You obviously haven't seen Once Upon A Time In America. It's the best Gangster Movie of all time.}

Thanks SL !
 
I do remember "Once Upon A Time In America", largely due to the presence of Jennifer Connelly. :D It was a great film, and I think it starred De Niro, James Woods, also. Great! Now I want to own it on DVD. I think, I'll at least rent it. :)
 
a6m5
I do remember "Once Upon A Time In America", largely due to the presence of Jennifer Connelly. :D It was a great film, and I think it starred De Niro, James Woods, also. Great! Now I want to own it on DVD. I think, I'll at least rent it. :)
You can own it, if you want. It came out on DVD about a year ago. It's a fantastic movie. I didn't pick it up because I'm not buying DVDs anymore, unless the kids want something. I'm waiting for the Blu-ray version of it. I have it on video tape, though. I watch it every so often.
 
Once Upon A Time In America.
The Godfather I,II,III.
The Untouchables.
Donnie Brasco.
Goodfellas.
Last Man Standing.
Scarface.
La Bande A Bonnot.
Bonnie & Clyde.
 
I might see American Gangster tonight. My friend said it was AMAZING.
 
Kind of appropriate that you resurrect this thread now, TTJ; The Godfather was on this afternoon on A&E channel and Part II is on at 8:00E/9:00C time (half an hour in my timezone).
 
American Gangster looks bad ass, I think I'm going to see it tomorrow night.
 
Boondock Saints is indeed twisted, but kinda cool.
Check out "The Whole 9 Yards" very funny.
Also, Check out "Payback" with Mel Gibson. Talk about rooting for the bad guy...
And the twisted, but really good "Lucky Number Slevin" not at all what I expected.
 
Also should be added, I just finaly watched Smokin Aces, was very very cool. I agree totally with Gil, boondock saints is a must have for gangster fans
 
Smokin Aces isn't really a gangster film. I'm really looking forward to American Gangster coming out over here, it looks really good.
 
Also should be added, I just finaly watched Smokin Aces, was very very cool. I agree totally with Gil, boondock saints is a must have for gangster fans
But bliink sparingly, during "Boondock Saints" or you'll be playing catch-up the whole movie.
Or watch it 3 or 4 times so you catch everything.
 
Back