GDII's SW20 MR2

• Thread starter GDII
  • 777 comments
New Zealand
NZ
Hi guys and girls

This is my 1990 SW20 MR2 G-Limited. I have had it for four years now.

Car as I got it after a wash.

IMG_8867s.jpg

I decided to buy it because it was cheaper than most RWD Toyota Starlets and Corollas, much faster and newer.

I replaced the air filter with a higher flowing Simota panel filter. Also took off the resonating chambers to make the intake sound better.

IMG_9508.jpg

IMG_9507.jpg

I wanted to do some motorsport in it so I bought some used gravel tyres to do gravel hillclimbs. They came of an SR20DET powered AW11.

IMG_9695.jpg

IMG_9817.jpg

IMG_9816.jpg

This was my first event. Not that fast but a lot of fun.

IMG_9884.jpg

IMG_9888.jpg

RallyBW.jpg

I bought another set of wheels. BBS RG097. They are a factory wheel that was put on a Limited Edition (300 cars built) Infini Mazda Cappella/626. The wheels are 15x6.5" +45 and weigh 5.4kg each.

IMG_9828.jpg

IMG_9826.jpg

IMG_9829.jpg

SW20Taieri1.jpg

ReallyRed4.jpg

ReallyRed.jpg

I also did a grass Autocross. This was my first go at Autocross on grass and my first real time at pushing my car to it's limits. Out of 30 competitors, most of who were far more experienced and had rally cars purpose built for this kind of thing, I got 7th.

IMG_0882.jpg

IMG_0958.jpg

IMG_0937.jpg

This was my 3rd run

After a few years of not doing anything I put the car on a rolling road to see what the power and torque curves looked like. I new my car wouldn't put out much power even though it had a recent engine rebuild and Toyota quotes the power to be 165hp and 200Nm of torque.

IMG_5826s.jpg

IMG_5831s.jpg

I was happy to see heaps of torque through the rev range. It makes sense as this car is quite responsive for road driving.

IMG_3898s.jpg

Last photo to finish of the post.

Thanks for taking a look. Comments welcome.

Beautiful car. Never pictured an MR2 as a rally car but then again, my imagination tends to be a bit limited :dopey:

I must say that looking at the car stirs my desire for one, especially with the t-top:tup:

Thanks. Too bad it doesn't look as good any more. The front lip got broken on a few driveways. It's off getting repaired at the moment.

I have struggled to find any SW20 'rally' cars on the net. They aren't the best suited for it but still fun. Gravel tyres get rid of the tail happiness but I wasn't really pushing it.

It's a good car and handle quite well. Every time I drive other cars they just don't have the same feel. Feels like the car is going to roll over or understeer. :scared::nervous: This one just goes where you point it most of the time. :D

This is the SR20DET AW11 I was talking about. 300hp but can beat 500hp Mitsi Evos.

IMG_9178.jpg

Bummer about the lip! Sucks when the front bumper cover gets a busted lip.

I've heard that the MR2 was an excellent all-rounder; handled like it rides on rails (as you're describing) and I've heard tales of Mister Twos so powerful that the passenger couldn't grab a $20 stuck to the windshield when the driver punched it.

Never knew about the rally AW11, either. Very cool!

That AW11 is a home built car. Very cool. Toyota did make 2 or 3 Group B rally cars based on the AW11 for the WRC back in the mid 80's. Never raced though.

I have never been in any other SW20 except mine. But they do have the potential to make a lot of power. Sadly mine doesn't have a turbo so it's not that quick.

They handle well but can get a bit touchy on the limit and under hard braking. But it makes it fun.

Welcome to another MR2 owner!

That engine bay looks extremely clean. I wish mine looked half as good.

Edit: And the Toyota 222D is the prototype Group B car Toyota was developing for the European rally circuits where the Celica was lacking. Three were made, two currently exist.

groupB12.jpg

crsm0000000000.JPG

From what I've read, the white car is a V6 turbo AWD, the black car is a turbo 4 with RWD. Est 750hp, 750kg.

Engine bay has always kept itself pretty clean. Gets a bit dusty sometimes but a quick wipe with a cloth works. Engine doesn't leak oil so it stays clean.

The fabric on the fire wall was getting oily but I couldn't figure out why. Turns out the brass heater pipe had a crack in it and was slowly leaking coolant which is oily. I had to drop the fuel tank to get the pipe out to repair it.:yuck:

Last edited:
I replaced the capacitors in the tacho. Works perfectly now and has stopped cutting out when starting the car.

Photos of new TRD gear knob and boots.

IMG_8425.jpg

IMG_8422.jpg
IMG_8429.jpg

IMG_8432.jpg

IMG_8428.jpg

IMG_8445.jpg

The black silicone sealant worked very well in the T-tops, no more leaks. Cheap fix for a major issue.

Washed it today and went over all the black plastic and rubber with tyre shine. Came up looking good.

Now all that needs done is to get the front lip back, correct size wheels and lower 30mm.

IMG_8468.jpg

IMG_8471.jpg

IMG_8479.jpg
IMG_8489.jpg

IMG_8472.jpg

IMG_8487.jpg

I was playing around with photoshop to see what it would look like lower and with better offset. This was the result. I quite like it. Except for the missing front lip.

Before
NormalSW20.jpg

After
LoweredSW20.jpg

Tell me what you think.

Lovely MR2 you've got there, now I know what car to look out for when I'm out and about.

Only if you do it right.:dopey:

The wrong way can be really cheap.:sly:

I'm not one for doing things the wrong way or cheaply.

New lowering springs: $600
Spacers for rear wheels: $200 + a $400 cert
Or new wheels and tyres: $2000+ for the ones I want. Haha.

Very nice MR2's. 👍 Clean SW GDII! Here's mine that I sold about 3 years ago. I may get another within the upcoming months. I'm thinking of either another SW22 or another S14....choices....choices....

That's a nice white MR2. I am guessing it's turbo because of the engine lid?

I repainted my standard 15" wheels awhile ago. Stripped all the paint off them and painted with etch primer and then using Duplicolor silver wheel paint. Came out looking great.

NewPaintStage1.jpg

NewPaintStage2.jpg

NewPaintStage3.jpg

I still have the gravel tyres on them and I haven't used them since I repainted them.

Yes, it was the turbo model. The engine lid was an aftermarket lid I bought from another member on MR2OC.com. The 3SGTE was fun a fun engine to play around with. I really miss the MR, such a fun little car to drive. I've had a few encounters with the snap oversteer (mine was a 91)

You're right those 15" are looking great!👍👍

Here in the states (I'm not sure if this is everywhere but....) stock NA SW's had a flat engine lid like this:

....while stock turbo models had an engine lid like this:

That is a very nice MR2 you have there, along with a nice condition. Makes me proud to see an MR2 loved, and cared for. :), Keep up the good work with it.

Yes, it was the turbo model. The engine lid was an aftermarket lid I bought from another member on MR2OC.com. The 3SGTE was fun a fun engine to play around with. I really miss the MR, such a fun little car to drive. I've had a few encounters with the snap oversteer (mine was a 91)

You're right those 15" are looking great!👍👍

Here in the states (I'm not sure if this is everywhere but....) stock NA SW's had a flat engine lid like this:

....while stock turbo models had an engine lid like this:

I knew that was an aftermarket lid. Not sure you would need vents like that for an NA engine.

The olny way to tell if an MR2 is turbo or NA is with the engine lid if there are no badges. Mine has the NA lid like your picture.

I like how they drive. I have only had one 'snap oversteer' moment bit that was when I went too fast into a tightening bend and lifted off. I drive a lot more smoothly now plus I have better tyres now. Toyo T1R's are great tyres.

That is a very nice MR2 you have there, along with a nice condition. Makes me proud to see an MR2 loved, and cared for. :), Keep up the good work with it.

I looks good in photo but the paint has light scratches everywhere, the rear wing and wing mirrors are really faded, tyre shine brings the colour back until it washes off. Now the clear coat is lifting off the right front guard and drivers door making it look pink.

I keep it washed as much as I can and use Turtle Wax Superhard shell wax to keep it looking good. Also makes it easier to wash.

I also need to touch up the front bumper but I will do this when I paint the front lip is repaired and I paint that. The car is 21 years old and has done 208,000km so it's not too bad for it's age.

Sweet MR2, I had owned a non-turbo SW20 for a short period.

Have you ever experienced the notorious snap-oversteer?

Sweet MR2, I had owned a non-turbo SW20 for a short period.

Have you ever experienced the notorious snap-oversteer?

Thanks.

I don't think I have experienced snap-oversteer but I have had lift-off oversteer though. Went too fast into a corner and when I lifted off the accelerator pedal it slid out. Caught the slide though. Also managed to turn the lights off at the same time. :crazy: I did that not long after I got the car so I didn't know the grip limits. I drive it smoothly now and from my hillclimb and Autocross experiences I have learn't how the car behaves.

Edit:I don't really believe in 'snap-oversteer'. I agree with this guy.
http://www.jekylhyderacing.com/snapoversteer.htm
It makes sense from my experience too.

Last edited:
I got my brother to make me some plugs for the intake pipe where I took the resonators off. About 3 years ago when I bought a new air filter I took off the resonators and plugged them up with some timber I cut using some drill saws and plugged up the drill hole with some random bolts I found. :lol:

IMG_8659.jpg

IMG_8651.jpg

The new stainless steel plugs

37mm OD and 50mm OD with 2.5mm flanges.

IMG_8638.jpg

IMG_8640.jpg

IMG_8657.jpg

I am very happy with the look of them over what I had before.

Back