Gear ratio/acceleration bug?

Australia
Australia
I tried changing my gear ratios to lower my top speed but increase acceleration but while doing that the acceleration stat for my car also decreased. I also noticed while on the track against my ghost with the previous settings that top speed and acceleration were both negatively affected with the new setting where top speed should have been but acceleration should have been improved. Is this a bug or am I missing something here?

For better acceleration you don't want shorter gears per se, but smaller gaps between the gears, so that you can stay closer to peak power during acceleration.

The effect is the greatest for engines with peaky power curves, and has less of an effect for engines with flatter power curves. For perfectly flat power curves it has no effect what so ever.

ideally, you want first gear to be just right, not too much spin but not to bog down either.

Then all the gears following to be close and evenly spread out, you want to stay in the peak powerband as much as possible.

traction maybe? are the wheels spinning more?

a shorter 1st gear will definitely cause more spin

No, not losing any traction.

For better acceleration you don't want shorter gears per se, but smaller gaps between the gears, so that you can stay closer to peak power during acceleration.

The effect is the greatest for engines with peaky power curves, and has less of an effect for engines with flatter power curves. For perfectly flat power curves it has no effect what so ever.

Sorry, smaller gaps is what I meant to say. It was in the Audi R8 Gr3, how do I find out the power curve for that engine?

ideally, you want first gear to be just right, not too much spin but not to bog down either.

Then all the gears following to be close and evenly spread out, you want to stay in the peak powerband as much as possible.

And that's what I thought adjusting the gears would do, I tried everything, the presets, doing the final only, doing them individually, what makes me think its a bug is that when I increased my top speed the acceleration stat went up too as it should've gone down and vice versa. From what I hear this wouldn't be the first time PD had one of their car setting alterations back to front.

If the ghost tell the same story as the acceleration stat, then the stat is correct.

What settings do you use?

I can take screen shots but I'll try to explain so you go into the game and see for yourself. With the Audi R8 Gr3 I go into car settings and go down to transmission. I've tried changing the gears individually and with the final gear but for the sake of saving time let's look at the Max speed (Auto Set).

At the following Auto Set speeds the Max speed and Acceleration figures on the left go like this...

270km/h = Max speed 6.7, Acceleration 5.2
280km/h = 7.0 and 5.4
290km/h = 7.0 and 5.5
300km/h = 6.9 and 5.7
330km/h = 7.0 and 6.0
380km/h = 6.7 and 5.9

See the values are all over the place, why is that? I was under the impression that as max speed increased, acceleration should decrease and vice versa where here acceleration is increasing with top speed and max speed is increasing in the transmission section but its unchanged or even lowered in the stats section.

Has anyone tried launching a fully tuned rwd car with no traction control?

Nearly impossible to keep in a straight line

Cars I have tested- hellcat, mclaren 650s, gt3 rs

No matter how long or short first gear is, I can’t get it to launch in a straight line.

I think when you increase the top speed, the gear ratio of first gear actually increases as well ( shorter first gear)

You can verify it by looking at the mph or Kph next to the gear ratio on ever gear

I am still not sure how LSD affects acceleration.

LSD affects how power is distributed to the driving wheels. This is separate to TCS and gearing.

In my understanding, if you make the gears shorter you are introducing lots of power at lower speeds (accelerate quicker). If the LSD isn't configured then you may be applying more power than the tires can translate into the ground and you'll just spin out.

It's possible that the game stat is taking this into account when you shorten the gears. It's basically saying: yeah you'll have more power but you won't be able to use it at lower speeds. So acceleration actually goes down.

I haven't tested this, I'm just speculating...

The LSD
Would you know what the LSD settings are?

Like what value gets you to full lock (both wheels spinning)?

The LSD acceleration setting is the one you want. Try setting it to max/min either way and see if the stat changes.

Thanks and I am sure suspension also helps.

Strictly a straight line drag you probably want the weight transfer to the back for rwd cars

I tried fooling around with the final drive and top speed and my car seems to spin out of control whenever i throttle out of a corner.

Im using the gr3 evo 10 with fully upgraded power and weight.

I think it is prolly due to the torque steer? Lol

Any advise on making my gear longer as it seems to run out after 1 sec of flooring the pedal. Plenty of power.. but i cant control it. Ha

Yeah I am struggling to tune high hp rwd cars and not using traction control.

In GT6 you can give it slight steer correction to keep it in a straight line.

In this game the car is very tail happy, even trying to correct the steering it will spin you out.

Yeah. I had to feather the throttle after every corner... managed a decent time of 1.44 on dragons trail with my souped up evo.. but i see plenty of people getting that timing with a gr4 gtr/roc

Whats the timing u guys r getting on dragon trail with a gr3?

I'm struggling with gr3 car tuning after the 1.03 update. Can't get near my best time and nothing I tune seems to work. All understeering on exit and a weird drift with the rear wanting to face the front.

My favourite was the NSX because it was on the edge. Was planning to better my time but now can't get within half a second of it after 100's of miles.

The McLaren is the worst.

Yeah I am struggling to tune high hp rwd cars and not using traction control.

In GT6 you can give it slight steer correction to keep it in a straight line.

In this game the car is very tail happy, even trying to correct the steering it will spin you out.
Are you adjusting rear camber and to at all? You might want to flatten the camber out a bit for better accelleration. I'm not an expert, just a thought. Drop it to 1.0 or so.

Back