Gearchange bug?

• Thread starter Lamp
  • 33 comments
I was playing around in the "bring Micra to halt" test (test 3 or 4), the red needle was near the redline, and i decided it would be fun to press "reverse" button for a sec, so i did and to my suprise, i didnt lose ANY speed, i GAINED speed and it still changed the gear. So basically even though it was changing gear, i still gained speed as normal. After i discovered it, I tried my best at that test, and i got 35.3 as time, my best at that b4 was 36.3 (36.6 for gold), then i tried to switch "normally" and after 1st gear, the ghost just passed me like it had nitrous.

Anyone knew this before? (did a search 2 times, didnt find anything :P)

-- update --

IT doesnt work with mercedes, it does with MR2 and skyline though (havent tested more, probably works with most of the cars).

Cosmic
I didn't knew about it. Never tested either.
Press the reverse button and gain speed. Sounds wierd.

go try it in the micra test, when ur about to change gear, just press the reverse button for a milli-sec, ull change gear and gain speed whilst doing so.

Hi, I have not yet tried this but is it like (lesson 3):

Start in 1st gear, change to 2nd by pushing the reverse button, change to 3rd by pressing reverse, change to 4th by pressing reverse and brake hard towards the finish area ?

And what version of Prologue are you playing ? PAL ?

Curious as ever
CooperS

CooperS
Hi, I have not yet tried this but is it like (lesson 3):

Start in 1st gear, change to 2nd by pushing the reverse button, change to 3rd by pressing reverse, change to 4th by pressing reverse and brake hard towards the finish area ?

And what version of Prologue are you playing ? PAL ?

Curious as ever
CooperS

exactly and yes, PAL.

it works with the cars that have slow gearchange, eg. it wouldnt probably work with mercedes (really fast gearchange) and the likes of xanavi skyline and other jgtc's and cars that have fast gearchange :P.

Cosmic
I tried to do it.
I didn't gain speed , I lose time.

I did try it, lo and behold:
Lesson 3 : Clean time 35.179 ! (was 35.799)
Lesson 4 : Clean time 20.162 (was 20.377)
Lesson 5 : After a short try 1.00.456 (was 1.00.719)
Lesson 14: After a short try 24.874 (was 25.012)

Think of the reverse button as a gear change, you have to twist your hands but it works very well !

But the initial question was: is it a bug? I do think it is, the game was not ment this way I am sure, but you sure can use it ;-)

Lamp, credit to you for discovering this!

CooperS

I've Been using that trick for some time now and even made a hint about it in my sig :)

I found this trick just after I made everyone aware of the lesson #2 reverse trick but haven't really made much effort to capitalise on it's "outrageous fortune" so there are still a number of top times to be gained to whomever wishes to have them :)

Good luck all :)

to be honest i dont think people should use it unless they want to shave milliseconds off their times in licences, not races.

Sphinx
I've Been using that trick for some time now and even made a hint about it in my sig :)

I found this trick just after I made everyone aware of the lesson #2 reverse trick but haven't really made much effort to capitalise on it's "outrageous fortune" so there are still a number of top times to be gained to whomever wishes to have them :)

I hope for your sake you got something besides that big body of yours! :lol: (Some Dante speaking :sly: )
I'm doing some fast times thx too this trick,so I hope you will stop playing Prologue,It's for your good! :)
(just joking my friend :sly: )
:cheers:

Cosmic
How can it improve your times? Huh? I've tried a couple of times and it didn't worked :(

Hi Cosmic think of the reverse button (triangle) as the R2 button that you normally use to up-shift gears in the game, so do not use R2 anymore in the lessons but the triangle button instead.

Try lesson 3 for a start. First use normal manual gear changing (R2) and save your replay. Now change to up-shifting using the triangle button (press very shortly when you change from 1st to second, 2nd to 3rd etc.). Watch this run with the ghost of your saved lesson using R2. You will see a tremendously improved acceleration of the car using the traingle (reverse) trick.

Hope this helps

Sphinx

Hi Sphinx, will you share the secret of using reverse in lesson 1 ? I have tried various things but nothing I tried seems to give an advantage on the conventional method (start in 1st and stay in 1st). I am still puzzled about the benifit of the reverse trick in lesson 1, will you enlighten me?

Regards
CooperS

Well I will if you really want me to but don’t you think it would be more satisfying if you manage to work it out for yourself. Think out of the box, try anything and everything and you will get it, I assure you. :)

Sphinx
Well I will if you really want me to but don’t you think it would be more satisfying if you manage to work it out for yourself. Think out of the box, try anything and everything and you will get it, I assure you. :)
I'm trying to figure out that too,will see! :)

Sphinx

Do you just reverse around the course?

Does the limiter not effect the reverse gear?

C.

OK here goes:

1. Start in 1st gear

2. Change to 2nd gear using the trick once you get enough revs to do so (I'll let you work out the correct revs for yourself)

3.Just as you are about to take turn 1, change down to 1st gear and then back up to 2nd gear once you have completed 2 turn (change up to 2nd using the trick)

4. Repeat the above method for turn 2

There is a little bit more to it than that, but again, I'm sure you can work the rest out for yourself : D

Have fun :)

Oh my, that sounds like fun lol. It's been a while since I last did that. Congrat mate 👍

CooperS
Thanks Sphinx 👍 I will give it a try later but now I am off to I change the diper of my newborn daughter :)

As a dad of 2: Congratulations !

And why is it that I see a lot of daddy's here racing?

As some sort of escape from reality? :D

Have fun with both!

k2racer
As a dad of 2: Congratulations !

And why is it that I see a lot of daddy's here racing?

As some sort of escape from reality? :D

Have fun with both!

As a dad of 4 the "reality" of it all is very clear indeed ;)

Dad of three.... eldest daught (5) likes playing GTP, but prefers Burnout2.... bless...

..but I digress, neat trick, will try later..

Ian

tavia4x4, Dad of three.... eldest daught (5) likes playing GTP, but prefers Burnout2.... bless...

Sphinkx dad of 4 ...

Guys that you even have time to play ;-) This is our first child and I am enjoying every minute with her. She took a long time coming, after 42 1/2 week she was finally born one week ago oktober 5th. I will try to make her like GT but her mother doesn't care much for games so we'll see by the time GT6 (?) is released she should be old enough to play ..

CooperS
tavia4x4, Dad of three.... eldest daught (5) likes playing GTP, but prefers Burnout2.... bless...

Sphinkx dad of 4 ...

Guys that you even have time to play ;-) This is our first child and I am enjoying every minute with her. She took a long time coming, after 42 1/2 week she was finally born one week ago oktober 5th. I will try to make her like GT but her mother doesn't care much for games so we'll see by the time GT6 (?) is released she should be old enough to play ..

She'll probably have finished school by the time GT6 comes out... ;)

Back