General Fighting Games Thread

• Thread starter Laughss
  • 3,264 comments

Thoughts: Claudio is an interesting character to use. I've never quite grasped how to effectively use him as I have with Lars lately (and finally, Zafina) and from what I'm seeing, I'm beginning to dread how much more of a learning curve there will be with him. That said, I do like that his Starburst power has been incorporated into his regular moveset via the heat system (which gives him two different versions). As for his costume, it feels like they've both simplified it and made it sleeker more then anything totally new. His bandages on his right arm replaced with Leather straps, Sleeves have a slight frill to them (got to accessorize those demon fighting threads somehow and much of the other). Coat is much shorter as well, which I kinda welcome as I feel like it works better (The slightly shorter hair also helps, though that just might be down to a better understanding of hair with Unreal 5 then anything else). I also like that they added this golden accessory hanging off said coat (I think its called a stole?), plays visually abit more neatly into his Demon slaying gimmick.

Last edited:

Enjoy! But when it comes to that, I only love Jun, Nina, Xiaoyu and King.

Oh and the 16 character movesets are out, but I will post Jun's for now.

Jun retains most of her moves from Tekken Tag Tournament 2, but gains new moves and has a few classic moves from Tekken 2/Tekken Tag Tournament 1. She still doesn't have her f+4, 1,1,3 and such since Asuka has them. Here's some of her combos:

Great to see Lili in Tekken 8! She looks stunning. As for Hwoarang, I bloody hate him.

Asuka's moveset is still Jun's old moveset from Tekken 2, but she has her own moves to differentiate her from Jun, as Asuka is more aggresive while Jun is defensive. They both share moves such as f, f+1, 1+4, 2, 1, b+4, 3+4, etc....

Well, it's a reboot. Again. Confirmed characters are Liu Kang, Raiden, Kung Lao, Kitana, Sub-Zero, Scorpion, Shang Tsung (LOL, DLC again) and the most beloved/hated character who is also my favourite, Mileena.

no Cyrax again!!

Cyrax has always been my favourite one it seems he wont returning again apart from being a kameo fighter.

Raven: Wow, I was not expecting to see Raven again. Obviously reconize his moveset, but its been nicely redone and the absolute flair its gotten is just amazing. Looks wise, no real big changes to him as far as I can tell (Just abit more purple and now sporting a similar jaw guard as Master Raven) but otherwise still Raven. Love that they really went to town with the Ninja theme for him, he just looks super fun to play.

Azucena: If I am not mistaken, this might be the first Peruvian character in a Fighting game (at least that I am aware of) so that is certainly something on its own. As far as her moves go, she seems very much evasion based (which really plays into this playful personality she displays). Get the feeling she is going to frustrate multiple people in the hands of a good player as they spend the majority of the match just styling on the poor soul who has no concept of reading moves. And of course, she shares my love for Coffee (Made all the more ironic that I see this a day after I just got some new coffee so sorry in advance for manifesting this menace :lol: ).

Last edited:
It's good to see the OG Raven back, as Master Raven never appealed to me in the least. Azucena looks fun, she seems like a great newcomer to the series.

Anyway, cool stuff are happening here!

REPTILE AND HAVIK ARE BACK!!!!! So is Ashrah, but I couldn't careless about her. Sareena is Kameo unfortunately.

A.K.I. is one cool character from Street Fighter 6.

The biggest meh of all. I never liked Johnny from Guilty Gear, ever.

Sooo, holy crap. 5 more confirmed characters for the roster AND a brand new arcade mode AND some amazing customizations AND a Release Date? Damn, I absolutely need this game yesterday.

So here they finally are, Sindel and Shao Kahn (Or General Shao in this timeline as he is NOT the Emperor here). Design wise, I love what they did with him. They seemed to have taken some of that dragon theme theyu gave him in MK11 and really leaned in abit more. They also replaced his Hammer with an Axe, a massive departure but it fits with his new design and position. Interesting to hear about his "Father" for the first time, wonder if that father is who I think it is...

As for Sindel, Looks amazing. Like how there is far more consistency in how she looks facially compared to her daughter, something I never have been able to shake away (and was made even more painfully obvious in MK11). Intriguing twist with the Mortal Kombat Tournament being founded by Liu Kang and King Jerrod in this timeline, which only seems to lean more into the some of the interesting things Geras was talking about with Liu Kang's shaping of time.

As for the Kameo fighters, they finally figured out a way to give us Motaro with all 4 legs. Its an issue younger me would've complained about all day but given that I have rarely seen an high quality animated Centaur in a 3D fighting scenario outside of a CG cutscene (And maybe 1 or 2 God of War games) starting to think might've been more difficult then I thought. Love that he has all his MK3 moves (His teleport, His grab, Tail lazers, his deflection of projectiles and even his kick). And wow, Shujinko is actually here...at all. He was the last guy I was expecting to be here in ANY compacity given how his last reference in MK was him dying in someone's ending (Which doesn't exactly scream "Fan favorite"). I love that he can basically do the moves of whoever he is facing (a callback to his gimmick from Deception) and that's been given abit of an Old school Kung Fu master treatment in his fatal.

Overall, love what I am seeing.

REPTILE AND HAVIK ARE BACK!!!!! So is Ashrah, but I couldn't careless about her.
Original Ashrah I basically agree. Was basically a poster child for so many of the post arcade era of MK characters: Just flat, generic and either unmemorable or memorable for all the wrong reasons (In her case, typical high & mighty Moral character that quickly just felt soulless and forgettable). Here, there's actually some purpose and an actual attempt at fleshing her out instead of just a generic cleftnote scrip to stick to (Something I like that they are doing with Li Mei as well).

I'm only happy to see Steve, Yoshimitsu and Sindel. The rest I don't care at all. However, I'm still worried about Miguel. And it's so cool to see Nina with the Jacks.

Tekken Ball is back from Tekken 3!

Also, say hello to Feng Wei and Panda:

fengwei-tekken8-render.png

panda-tekken8-render.jpg

That's 7 characters left to reveal for Tekken 8. And Mortal Kombat 1 is out!

I bought MK1, I loved it, up to like 25 hours but slowly dying off for me. I am of the impression that I'll never get too good and I really play this game for the single player content like invasion mode to collect outfits.

I bought MK1, I loved it, up to like 25 hours but slowly dying off for me. I am of the impression that I'll never get too good and I really play this game for the single player content like invasion mode to collect outfits.
By contrast, I played it for a little over an hour and everything about it just really turned me off. I enjoyed the Krypt in MK11 as a way to unlock cosmetics and other content, but Invasion is so clearly just a battlepass with a mobile game stuck on top of it that it instantly left a bad taste in my mouth. Many characters being reduced to assists (a mechanic that still doesn't feel well implemented) was another dislike, because it tells me that they're going to go whole hog on reselling them as $8 a pop DLC later on down the road.

Speaking of, I overpaid for the premium edition and they're still going to lock Shang Tsung, the main villain of the story mode, behind pre-order DLC that I have to buy seperately from that? Nah. Just nah. Gonna put that refund towards Street Fighter 6, like I should have done in the first place.

By contrast, I played it for a little over an hour and everything about it just really turned me off. I enjoyed the Krypt in MK11 as a way to unlock cosmetics and other content, but Invasion is so clearly just a battlepass with a mobile game stuck on top of it that it instantly left a bad taste in my mouth. Many characters being reduced to assists (a mechanic that still doesn't feel well implemented) was another dislike, because it tells me that they're going to go whole hog on reselling them as $8 a pop DLC later on down the road.

Speaking of, I overpaid for the premium edition and they're still going to lock Shang Tsung, the main villain of the story mode, behind pre-order DLC that I have to buy seperately from that? Nah. Just nah. Gonna put that refund towards Street Fighter 6, like I should have done in the first place.
I hear ya, that’s fine! I think I had a good time with it but now it’s soured on me.

Initially looking at the title, I was so annoyed to see Devil Jin back and even asked "Why? What the hell does he even bring at this point, he is never in the story mode for god's sake". And then I watch and holy crap, HE'S IN THE STORY MODE. And honestly after seeing that part with his lines, it makes so much sense: The story is about Jin is still not completely comfortable with have his Devil powers so Devil Jin's appearance in a proper story mode (and not just as a character on the roster) is actually very important because HE is a crucial part for Jin to overcome in order to finally accept those powers instead of trying at every turn to get rid of them. So big props to the folks on the Tekken Project, you actually gave Devil Jin Purpose and as a former Devil Jin fanboy who kinda fell out of favor for him over the past few games, I am actually happy.

Last edited:
And that last character (which completely missed the date) is here:

Feng Wei: Always did find his moveset intriguing and looking at what was shown, they really stepped up someone who was already a hard hitting character and made him do it even more so. His finisher is really amazing too, even better then his Tekken 7 Rage art and fully channels that newfound power from that Dragon fist scroll he had in Tekken 5. Design wise, leaning far harder into his Monk roots but again with abit of additional flare.

Victor Chevalier: Damn, did NOT see this guy coming at all. Moveset wise, he seems to carry much of Noctis moves but with some of that stylished flare that's seen with Raven (which is appropreate given he's apparently the founder of that Raven Group AND the leader of the UN). He's also the second character to mix gunplay with some of his moves but its thankfully visually distinct from Nina (and funny enough, he's another grey haired character that teleports and uses a karambit. New fighting game standard in the making?). Design wise, it feels as if they've gotten abit more confident with designing a stylish and fun older Male character after the massive popularity of Leeroy and I definately feel like he'll like garner some of that same feel (though its likely helped just abit that he's voiced by Vincent Cassell, a big star in France and massive Tekken fan himself apparently). I can't be the only one that sees a interesting mix of John Wick and James Bond in there (Even his face kinda resembles Pierce Brosnan).

Reina: So, THIS is that leaked character folks were talking about. Of all the Mishima Children, she has THE most varied list of moves. Like Lars, she does lack the traditional Mishima moves (the spinning kicks of Kazuya and Jin nor the flying kings of Heihachi and Kasumi) but she does have the electrics of the whole family, which without the leaks makes it painfully obvious that she is a Mishima. Her finisher certainly falls in line with the over the top anime aesthetic as well. Traditionally, outside of Lars since he was a massive radical departure, I found the Mishimas usually easy to pick up so I expect the same with her. Design wise, somewhat understated in comparison to the other Mishimas (Even Jin considering he himself tends to never really be all that elaborate outside of whatever pants he has at the time) but she absolutely has Hehaichi and Kazuya's attitude so she's taken up the mantle I guess. Weirdly she calls Jin "Senpai", which is both confusing and knowing how degenerate the internet is, already has me thinking:

oh-no.jpeg

So that's it for the Tekken 8 Roster. Massive roster, probably the most in the series outside the Non-canon Tekken Tag Tournament games. Looking forward to at least giving each a try just purely of seeing how much they've changed before just playing those same 5-6 out of familiarity, that or I end up having to actually learn more now that the AI is supposedly machine learning (which means my old beating lower difficulty AI just to get cosmetics might be done. rip)

Last edited:
So that's it for the Tekken 8 Roster. Massive roster, probably the most in the series outside the Non-canon Tekken Tag Tournament games. Looking forward to at least giving each a try just purely of seeing how much they've changed before just playing those same 5-6 out of familiarity, that or I end up having to actually learn more now that the AI is supposedly machine learning (which means my old beating lower difficulty AI just to get cosmetics might be done. rip)
And just like that, Namco Bandai making me look like a liar :lol:

As someone who really found Leo kinda fun to play, I'm digging what I am seeing here. Some intriguing new tools and some really neat tweaks to what I already thought were solid strings. The Rage art is abit out there (who's the mad lad that gave Leo a Grappling Gun?), but its Tekken so I should be used to this. I also like that as is seen with multiple characters, there is far more personality & expressiveness with Leo then previous seen. Default costume is not bad either, it feels like slightly expanded version of the default costume from Tekken 6.

Last edited:
Been a month since the Leo reveal, but my thoughts on the characters revealed since then.

Steve Fox: Always found him fun since Tekken 4 (once I got used to the fact that there was NO kicking with this guy) so naturally I was interested in seeing what they would do with him and damn, feels like he got sped up abit. Like alot of his new moves and strings and his rage art, while slightly on the cheesy side, is pretty good. Saturday morning Cartoon loving me would love it. As for design, Costume is pretty good. Face is strange though as it seems ok from front on but from side he looks really funky.

Dragonov: Our favorite silent comrade is back (on a Holiday break apparently). Found him to be one of the more difficult to learn at the time and he's certainly looking like he'll be just that little more difficult to grasp. Granted I haven't played him alot but nothing really popping out all that much to me so far and his rage art seems to have just be a modified version of what he did in Tekken 8 (though I do like how much more cinematic this time around with the whole ice theme). As for his design, I honestly can't think of a design that's even been disappointing so I wasn't expecting much but I dig what he has here (Especially the coat). Simple and cool, that's pretty much his essence and it works here.

Yoshimitsu: Speaking of designs, the classic traditional question "What will they do with Yoshimitsu this time?" every time a new Tekken comes around has finally been answered. In terms of moves and combos, he was always funky but in a fun way so I'm delighted they've went to town on this. Of all the Rage arts so far, this is probably THE most aesthetically pleasing one just due to how well they leaned into it. And of course, we have to talk about what I feel is THE best design they've done with him since...Tekken 3. Funny enough, my first impression was how much this design leans both to Tekken 3 Yoshimitsu and Soul Caliber II Yoshimitsu (Voice even seems less like what we normally hear in Tekken and more what you would hear in Soul Caliber, albeit with abit more supernatural inflection). It even looks like he now actually has learned to control his cursed blade, which is a nice story evolution considering the difficulty he had with it in Tekken 6.

Shaheen: Not exactly a character I gelled with and I haven't played him alot so I can't say I'm necessarily looking forward to him, but there dies seem like some attempt to make him abit more fun to use. Rage art is kinda funny and cool given he starts off basically just riding his opponent like a skateboard before kick flipping into the air and jump kicking through him. Its goofy but I kinda dig it.

Kuma: And the final character reveal of 2023 (Released ealier today). In my days of just spamming moves, this was one of my go-to characters for that (Along with the Jacks, Jin and Eddy.) Love that they kept his spoof of Bryan Fury's Beam throw for his intro. Not surprised he's gotten much of Heihachi's moves but the Electrics? Guess he's a Mishima now too. That Rage art is...something. It is delightfully Tekken in the best way, that's for sure. Not much to say about his design, Bear takes up his caretaker's clothes.

Last edited:
Fantastic to see the clipping is gone. It always looked so akward when Kuma did a grab….

That rocket fish is the reason why Tekken is GOAT. Nobody does it better.

Can you believe 30 years (give or take) of Tekken in 2024? The little game known as Rave War would become Tekken. Thirty years of broken backs, sword pokes, bear hugs, laser beams, screw uppercuts, bears, lizards, kangaroos, mannequins, Unknown, and bowling later... Tekken still going strong! My Tekken journey began with Tekken 2 on PS1. I played every major Tekken besides T4, T7, and (obviously) T8. Happy three decades, Tekken!

Tekken 8 is out (Yet another game release I am missing out on because the PS5 still hasn't materialized for me. yay...) and I have completely forgotten about the other reveals so my impression on the last few base roster characters:

So like Kuma, she has some of Hehachi's moves (Makes sense as he did train her in addition to Kuma), but she also has some of Xioayu's moves so she doesn't appear to be an entire copy/paste of Kuma (Something that da bears have basically had throughout their entire existence in the series). Seems like she'll much more fun to play and won't just be the classic case of "Kuma clone, spam time". Also, that Rage art. Once again (as is the case with Kuma), pure Tekken goodness.

While many were too busy hating her, I had alot of fun with her very funky moveset so this looks like they've upped the ante with her this time around. Some neat tools to use. I also love that they've given her saws that won't be affected by regional censorship (Take that, overreactive old people). Design is a neat little glow up too (though the little hat bothers me a tiny bit for some reason). And wow, Soccer kicking her own head into her opponent and exploding. I am gonna have a hard time deciding who has THE nuttiest Rage art of the roster because there have been quite some spectacularly our there ones on display.

Always found Zafina difficult to really use, her move set has never quite gelled with me for while until recently and it seems like there is gonna just abit more of a learning curve but now with free purple hand powers. Story wise, I love that they have really leaned into Azazel's power being restrained by her (Unsuccessfully I might add) instead of just pretending Azazel didn't exist. Design is pretty solid too. Definitely has one of the coolest looking Rage arts, leans heavily into Darkseid territory (If you've played Injustice 2, you know what I mean).

While I do agree with many that Lee being in an armor suit is quite an abrupt pivot, it also feels on brand with his Eccentric personality. Move wise, I do dig some of the added touches and flare they've given him (Its Lee, why would you not do it?), And I love how his Rage Art includes a Combot Grenade. Gonna have to get used to not hearing him saying "Excellent" for the first time but he does say "Marvelous" with the same delivery so its not a complete loss.

And finally, the character I was getting tired of (despite how fun they ended up making him in Tekken 7). As I mentioned before when the story trailer was revealed, I was annoyed to see him again on the roster at first but then saw how he has a important part to play. Seeing him in this trailer, they've actually managed to make me like him again (Didn't think that would happen). While looks wise he's still Jin but with grey skin and Horns and wings (Now with the Hot topic October collection), they've made his character and voice so much better. He actually sounds like his own person and not just edgy Jin, in fact he kinda reminds me of Dio from JJBA voice wise for some reason. Moveset looks even more fun then before with some of the tools he has now. And that rage art is spectacular, love how it has the very chains that are theme in Tekken 8 (Seemingly emphasizing his roll even more in the story). Gonna be funny if this ends up being the last game he appears because damn, for once I actually don't hate for the first time in a long while :lol:

So enough with my rambling about yet another awesome looking game I can't play right now, enjoy Tekken 8 y'all. Will be watching from the sidelines.

Last edited:
Tekken 8 is brilliant. Plays superb and looks absolutely awesome.

Customisation of the characters is a bit lackluster though, as it is almost identical to Tekken 7’s (clothing) options.

Back