Gerarghini's Great Value Integra Type R

• Thread starter Gerarghini
  • 46 comments
Great news, I bought a replacement used hood to replace the Fast and Furious hood and hood pins. Problem being is that at first, it lines up almost exactly like the original, meaning that either the hood I bought was also warped, or the front end of my Integra was messed up in some way. It would make sense since I'm pretty sure whoever did the JDM convert did a hack job since the welds are pretty messed up and the panels don't line up correctly. Oh well :indiff:

For the time being though, a new hood is welcome even if it does have some minor damage. The clear coat was near perfect. I didn't wanna drop $300+ on a replacement hood since the hoods for these cars are expensive as hell.

21981747_1333659960077017_365324323_o.jpg

So I've got some unfortunate news: The timing belt snapped at only 25,000 miles/40,000 kilos. Amazingly though, I replaced it and, well, it runs but the engine sounds like all the screws went loose or something. And I checked the compression, valve clearance, and timing too and everything is supposedly flawless and within' spec. So, while I'm away for college I've had to leave it at home since I'm not sure if another part is ready to go...

However, by some stroke of luck, I just bought another Integra, a '97 RS to be exact. Picked it up for near nothing with a clean title, with the *only* problem being that it doesn't run :sly:

And man I was unaware of how many luxuries a GS-R has compared to an RS: No power steering, no cruise control, no ABS, no cruise control, NO AUTOMATIC LOCKS, and, most importantly to me anyways, no sunroof. So, obviously, I'm gonna be using this new (older) Integra once I can get it back up and running.

Nevermind it does have PS. Thought it was odd.

Last edited:
So a bit of a big announcement here, but as I said in my last post, I purchased a (sort of) project Integra RS DC4. For $300, it definitely needs some love but the exterior and interior are passable for a car this cheap. Has 214+ thousand miles, a clean title, and is overall pretty nice for what plans I have for it.

Positives:
  • No sunroof (might go for a replica Type R look)
  • Completely stock (even has the floormats!)
  • Body is straight
  • No rust
Negatives:
  • Displays, unashamedly, the abuse and wear and tear from the previous owner. The previous owner wasn't a car person at all and smoked quite a bit. The interior smell has been reduced since purchasing it, but I want to change the headliner and other gray-colored panels to black, so it does not bother me *that* much.
  • Body has pretty obvious dents and what not.
  • Several parts of the dash are damaged/cracked.
  • One really bad tire.
  • Maybe *too* stock. My current Integra straight out of the gate was modified, but it was great for showing up Engine codes like no tomorrow.
  • And of course the biggest problem; a blown B18B1.
  • Even worse; it’s automatic
Here are some cute pics :sly:

A8B83FB5-0CF4-4BDF-A57F-EEA9D9EE93C2.jpeg
0ECA1646-27FE-4799-8844-E982B67BAEC6.jpeg
21AB23AC-F77B-4688-A160-0B3BBC65F1C4.jpeg

So yeah, the biggest problem of the car is the blown B18B1. I wasn't expecting it to be completely ruined, but once I got it running, the dreading knocking showed its ugly teeth. With that, I thought to get rid of the car immediately and take a loss, but, living in the Central Valley meant that some prices are lower than most. Luckily, I managed to score a low (relatively) mileage low-comp B20B from someone here in Merced for only $300 (which was a lifesaver because the closest engine shop in Modesto has the nerve to charge $550 for a similar, but less equipped B20B). So a clean, straight car with a B20B for ~$600? I think yes. Not sure if its a good deal necessarily, since I probably could've ponied up a few hundred and get one that was running, but I'm kinda happy I scored this one completely stock. This means that I figuratively have a blank canvas from which to build a project car on!

Here's the B20B. Bad picture since its in my Dad's car right now, but the idea is the same.

B796C594-03C0-4AB6-9D6A-9706A4C0362A.jpeg

I'm gonna get the car swapped Saturday with a couple buddies. At least to get the motor in the car since I don't wanna leave the car on jackstands overnight or anything.

As far as the old Integra goes, it'll most likely go to my younger brother as he has grown quite attached to it. I'll take some pieces from it of course, but it'll save my family quite some money from not having to buy him a new car :lol:

But plans for this car are pretty straightforward for the meanwhile; simply get the car as roadworthy as possible. Clean every corner, replace anything that needs replacing, and get a car that is simply a good representation of what it was to own an Integra in like 2003 or something :)

Attachments

• 5C6DC36F-3412-4458-A24C-D76A430AA4AF.jpeg
    5C6DC36F-3412-4458-A24C-D76A430AA4AF.jpeg
    98.4 KB · Views: 10
Last edited:
1A16701C-D699-4F90-B0AE-C8A66009A75D.jpeg
I am pleased to announce that the surgery went mostly successfully; the car now runs and drives. The cancerous dead B18 was removed and a healthy B20 was dropped in its place.

However so many side effects have decided to pop up. For one thing, the automatic transmission sounds like it might go soon since first is quite rough. The car also drinks antifreeze constantly and it all pools up in the passenger footwell, so I’m certain the heater core has killed itself. Thankfully I can simply connect the heater hoses together and run heatless for a while since I’m in SoCal and the summer months are quickly approaching. (Although tbh I’m perplexed as hell since I had the heater on full blast taking the car from Merced to Riverside 5 hours south and there were little to no leaks to speak of).

Either way, no check engine lights though! That’s something to be proud of if nothing else I suppose.
Already equipped it with the wheels from my old Integra and fitted it with Function&Form Type One coilovers too.

Despite it being FWD, I still consider the DC2 Integra to be the Alfa Romeo GTV/GTA (depending on model) of the 1990s. I'm not the biggest fan of the USDM-spec front end, but the car has a good shape and a near-perfect (in my opinion) chassis. I had a white 1994 and it was an absolute battle axe. It was a b18b powered LS, and it was completely stock apart from the whataburger straw and super glue holding part of the vacuum system together. I beat on that car relentlessly and it never failed me. The b18b may not get the headline numbers of the vtec motors, but they have a surprising amount of usable torque.

Enjoy yours! Whenever I get some extra space, I want to own another one. It won't be a daily driver so it's gonna be ridiculous.

I've gone through many variations of engine builds in my head, but the dream build would be: B20B block with B18C bottom end with custom rods and worked b16b head. I'll call it a B18TD for "tall deck". 13:1 compression. ITBs. Shoot for 250whp and balanced to operate at 10,000rpm all day long. Love to see if theres a way to get a 6 speed mated to a B-series as that is my only gripe with the 'old' motors.

891B916C-F1A9-42AC-B76E-95B8BB6C17F2.jpeg

Time for a monthly update of sorts!

So far the car has been running moderately 100%. It’s more like 80% since there are a few things I have to get taken care of such as...

1. Bad RF wheel bearing. It’s louder than it has any right to be.
  2. Bad tie rods. Actually my fault since I somehow managed to mangle them pretty badly when swapping the engine
  3. Bad upper ball joints. They’re 1997-edition OEM so understandable.
  4. One radiator hose is leaking onto the block.
  5. The Automatic transmission.
  6. Driver side window rattles like mad if it isn’t all the way up. I had this problem on my old Integra but it wasn’t nearly as pronounced.
  7. Accidentally managed to destroy both my driver side inner fender liner AND my passenger side turn signal. Turns out I didn’t tighten those all the way down, the liner especially since it wrapped around my knuckle on the highway one day.
However I managed to replace the bearing but there’s still a loud “howling” sound coming from the right front so I’m actually thinking it could be transmission related. Which is acceptable because I managed to score a good condition ‘97 LS transmission for dirt cheap! Now I just need all the other small bits like the linkage and mount.

Getting ready for paint pretty soon too. Not gonna go overboard with the paint and I just want something fresh. Gonna go championship white because on a ‘97 Integra i can make it look like a pre-facelift USDM Type R and I like the looks of those more than facelift Rs.

Other random bits:

• One day the car stopped attempting to turn over. I went through 3 starters, 2 batteries, and 1 tow home before I discovered my terminals and connections were ugly and full of filth.
  • Two of my valve cover studs are stripped so I have to replace those before I lose any more oil.
  • Since this car was smoked in, the door panels have some weird holes in them. Eventually I’d like to get replacement ones from a GSR since cloth sounds like a pain to clean.
  • Eventually when the time permits and the future allows it, my goal, at least for the next 5 years or so is to build a B20 with a B17 crank and B16 head. I’ve read that the ratio with such a combo is ideal for high revving which is what I’d like. If getting a K series swap is unachievable, then a 10,000 rpm B is more than enough.

Last edited:
Just about getting ready for the auto-to-manual swap. Waiting on a few more parts but, in the meanwhile, figured I should write it down and keep track of what's what.

All I'm missing so far are the brake and clutch pedals (which I'm really not looking forward to because I'm gonna get those at a local yard and they sound like a nightmare to uninstall alone), manual center console plate, and the front and rear transmission brackets.

The parts I'm using for the swap include the following:
  • Integra LS Y80 hydraulic transmission (unsure of year, $200)
  • 90-93 DA Integra shift linkage (not sure if it'll fit correctly honestly, heard it was slightly longer than a DC one, came with short shifter, $25)
  • Innovative Auto-to-Manual Transmission mount (85A, $112)
  • Integra Throwout Bearing ($12)
  • Integra GSR* Clutch Fork ($50, not sure if there's any difference between an LS or GSR one tbh)
  • Circuit Hero Solid Shifter Bushing, front half ($30)
  • Generic Stainless Clutch line (there was no way I was gonna be able to fit a hard line, $30)
  • Integra Slave Cylinder (was able to fit in pocket so basically FREE, wasn't gonna use the hard lines anyways)
  • Integra Clutch Resevuoir (same as above)
Parts I already have include...
  • K-Tuned B/D Series Shifter ($100)
  • DC Sports weighted shift knob ($40)
  • Exedy DK Clutch & Flywheel (I wanna say $130*?)
  • Integra Manual Half-Shaft (I have heard that, like automatic vs manual axles, that they're the same regardless of transmission, but I'm including it because it came with the B20. Otherwise, a potential ~$50)
  • Circuit Hero Solid Shifter Bushing, rear half (I got this way back when they were beginning to phase out their one piece design. They now offer a two piece design that makes installation easier. $25)
  • Integra Speed Sensor (Civic ones work but throw CELs)
In the end this swap runs me around $400 including the parts I already had, or a more realistic $700-800 if I had no parts to begin with. I obviously could've opted to get more OEM-style parts and bushings, further reducing the price of the swap, but I got a great deal on the transmission since these usually go for at least $350 for an LS one and $5-600 for a GSR one.

Personally, I honestly wouldn't go through with a swap because it seems like a lot of work over simply selling and getting a manual Integra. However, since the cost of the car at the moment (value anyways) is under $1000, doing the swap doesn't sound too out of left field especially since it is not too far removed from a stock Integra outside of the wheels and suspension. Clean title, rust free, it sounds worth it to me, but your opinions may vary. My old Integra we got for $3300 which, looking back at it now, was an almost awful deal if you didn't count the value of the JDM swap into the eqation (and even then, aftermarket parts rarely increase the value of your car).

After work this weekend I'm gonna go ahead and start putting some parts together. I'm mainly waiting on my Clutch Fork to get the actual transmission in, so in the mean time I'm just removing some parts here and there.

FE156F90-0223-4882-97A3-B8852E6CF442.jpeg

She’s still alive, the swap was a complete success and she’s a stick shift now. Took her out to Willow Springs and the engine and transmission performed beautifully except for a malfunctioning TPS (I think) that would put the car into limp mode sporadically. And a broken speed sensor but who cares about that :sly:

For 2019, I’m gonna be focusing on handling mods seeing as how I can’t really do much with a ~130 horsepower N/A. :lol: All I’ve done so far is replace my beat up cold air intake with a vintage DC Sports Short Ram and Skunk2 Velocity Stack & filter. Sounds great and probably works better than the cold air in all honesty. I’m quite glad too; I impulse bought the short ram because I saw the same intake being used in the DC Sports World Challenge Car :)

Not much has been done over the past few months. Have just been doing school but I recently got a new job so that means I’ll have more money for the car (after responsibilities of course :sly:)

For one, I managed to scoop up these sweet vintage AEM pulleys. They must be pretty old since the instruction sheet stops at 1997. All the claims about freeing up HP and whatnot is probably rubbish but i actually wouldn’t mind a more “deactivated” PS. Don’t know if I’ll touch the alternator until I get a bigger battery or something like that.

Here’s the old, old box that probably hasn’t been touched for 20 years

51A645C2-5723-4163-AF44-BABE2C144F7A.jpeg

It’s even got the original sticker that I think still sticks.

D4F9E5AE-A790-4D48-BB6A-1434CDA44350.jpeg

Remember when stuff like AOL and fax machines were everywhere :lol: that website address is old school too with the old http:/ prefix.

925BAF2E-D129-4CAD-AB7F-1CDCFB86D817.jpeg

I swear they feel super cheap but I guess what else do you expect for being made out of aluminum and being much lighter than the oem components.

Coincidentally however, my AC idler pulley decider to yeet itself and the bolt fell off while I was on the highway. I was quite a ways from home so I had to cut the ac belt lest it ended up tangling itself amongst my other belts or wore them out prematurely. Will have to get that fixed soon :lol:

Last edited:
I bought a set of those brand new back in the day, when there were still very few companies making Honda parts and as such you had to pay an arm and a leg for a set of useless red anodized pulleys. :lol:

Not so much a car update so much as a question to you guys; how often do you find yourselves at odds with your car to the point where you've pretty much fallen out of love with it?

Over the past months I added a bunch of stuff to the Integra; Autopower roll bar, bucket seats, harness, MSD Ignition kit (of all things), and 16" Rotas. There's more I'm missing but after all that the car is right around where I want it to sit sans the engine and I just feel so disinterested in continuing with this car. I feel like I'm too young to say this, but I think I've grown out of this whole, "modify your late 90s Honda into a track car/JDM yo," scene, because now I'm going to get rid of it (as well as the original DC2 from 2017; yeah, I still have it lmao) and get myself a facelifted RSX-S.

It happens from time to time. You are chasing a goal and when you get there you have already moved on.

However it's not that simple, this motivation can return. Has happened to me several times, then I just park the car up and wait maybe a year or two to see if it returns.

Me, never. I don’t drive my car like I used to. So it always feels refreshing and new when it’s the weekend and I pull the cover off to drive it in the afternoon. I fall in love immediately.

but I do feel you. A lot of people I know go through that phase

However it's not that simple, this motivation can return.

Yup, the other forum I’m on. A lot of them left the scene.

Then they came back half a decade later in full force.

Which I kind of don’t like because they have driven up the prices to everything I want.

Me never, because cars aren't the least bit a "phase" for me like they seem to be with a lot of people that get into the hobby. I don't care what car I might have, I can't help but modify. I just see the potential in what I've got, and the plans I still have for it, and it keeps me interested. I think about other cars I want nearly every day, but I couldn't get rid of what I have, so I just think: "I need to get a house with some land space first." I got rid of my old Accord sedan because, as far as I can remember, it just had an electrical problem I couldn't figure out and I was already wanting to switch to a wagon version of the same chassis. I regret it because the likely solution to the problem came to me later, and it was a damn clean chassis that probably would have been something great by now. But I still know I want a wagon more, so I'm still working toward that.

You can get an RSX-S, but it's just going to be another old Honda, albeit safer and slightly more comfortable if you can find one with low enough miles. And it's still a "tuner car" - I mean, it is an Integra - so how do you feel about that? More, why does the RSX have your attention and not something non-Honda, or even one of Honda/Acura's more "grown up" cars? Is it because you still want that temptation? If you're wanting to try something new to see how you feel then, probably don't get a car that's pretty much the same thing.

Some people get bored quickly, too, though, and just want to move on to try the next thing. There's nothing wrong with that, either. It's one of those questions only you can answer, because only you know how you feel. But people do often come back eventually, as said. There was an article in a recent Super Street issue about an EF hatch. The owner said, " Growing older, I moved on to other platforms, like a BMW 335i, Evo X, and now a 991 Carrera S, but I always loved the Honda platforms. Ever since I sold my last Civic Si hatchback, I knew I had to get another some day." If you can afford it, you could park the car up, if you have any small reservations about getting rid of it. It's a popular old Honda tuner car, so clean examples are only going to get harder to find, should that itch come back. And if it were me in that situation, the one with the Japanese front end conversion would be the one to hold on to; those parts will just get rarer and more expensive.

Back